FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Submit PostSubmit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

Latest topics

» A Strong bounce back of ASI is on the cards
by Equityinvestor Yesterday at 10:09 pm

» Prominent Investors of the colombo stock market
by Walbaba Yesterday at 9:09 pm

» GLAS will be winner with Super Gain.
by Promoney Yesterday at 3:41 pm

» Many positives for Next week
by Vishwanarth Yesterday at 12:29 pm

» Norway -> biggest shareholder of NDB
by Vishwanarth Yesterday at 12:28 pm

» Maldives records over 100,000 tourist arrivals in first 35 days of the year
by samaritan Yesterday at 9:59 am

» Kind of behavior traders engage in when they are frustrated and want their money back from the market. Stock market for beginners
by lal62 Yesterday at 7:40 am

» EXPO EXPO EXPO
by Gowri123 Yesterday at 12:35 am

» still I believe this
by 100Bill Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:21 pm

» SUNSHINE HOLDINGS PLC (SUN.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:19 pm

» Investor sentiment - will there ever be a recovery?
by xhunter Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:49 pm

» Let's have a stop-loss strategy to maximize investment returns in stock market
by EquityChamp Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:19 pm

» Daily Foreign Transactions
by Pradeep90 Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:56 pm

» DIPD/HAYC/HAYL
by samaritan Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:41 pm

» කොටස් මිල දී ගන්න මෙය හොඳම කාලයයි – රාජ්‍ය අමාත්‍ය කබ්රාල්
by samaritan Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:07 pm

» IS it right time to stick to warren buffett's most famous saying ???
by Mr. X Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:02 pm

» CSE - The World's best performer!
by Vishwanarth Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:42 pm

» Best Broker
by Wickyz Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:32 pm

» Game Changed! SUPER GREEN
by Karthick Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:24 pm

» Blue Diamond
by thavam_Eu Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:07 pm

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

CHRONICLE™ NEWS PRODUCTS

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Views & Reviews, Analysis, Evaluations, Discussions, Gossip and Hot Tips relating to Sri Lankan companies listed on the Colombo Stock Exchange (CSE)
Contribute

DAILY CHRONICLE™

Latest news and articles published in Newspapers, Websites, Blogs and other online news sites relating to business and investments in Sri Lanka
Contribute

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE™

This is a section that provide news, views, analysis, predications relating to Political and Socio-Economic factors and how such activities affect the Stock Market and other economic activity of the Country.

Contribute

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

This is an exclusive section for Expert Articles which will help member to share knowledge through comments and responses of the members. All members are allowed to reply and make comments to these articles.

Contribute

Submit Post

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

Youtube Videos and other visual presentations relating Stock market and other investment advise submitted by members or other contributors.

Contribute

Submit Post

කොළඔ කොටස් වෙළඳපොළේ වංශකථාව
කොළඔ කොටස් වෙළඳපොළේ ලැයිස්තුගත සමාගම් කොටස් ගැන තොරතුරු¸විශ්ලේෂණ¸සාකච්ඡා¸ කටකතා¸රසකතා යන සියල්ල අපේම සිංහලෙන් කතා කළ හැකි ‘කතා මණ්ඩපය’

Contribute

Twitter Feeds
POPULAR COMPANIES
A

ABANS ELECTRICALS PLC

ACCESS ENGINEERING PLC Hot

ACL CABLES PLC

ACL PLASTICS PLC

ACME PRINTING & PACKAGING PLC

AGSTAR PLC

AITKEN SPENCE HOTEL HOLDINGS PLC

AITKEN SPENCE PLC

ANILANA HOTELS AND PROPERTIES PLC

ARPICO INSURANCE PLC

ASIA ASSET FINANCE PLC

ASIA CAPITAL PLC

B

BAIRAHA FARMS PLC

BALANGODA PLANTATIONS PLC

BIMPUTH FINANCE PLC

BLUE DIAMONDS JEWELLERY WORLDWIDE PLC

B P P L HOLDINGS PLC

BROWNS BEACH HOTELS PLC

BROWNS INVESTMENTS PLC

C

CARGO BOAT DEVELOPMENT COMPANY PLC

CENTRAL INDUSTRIES PLC

CEYLON COLD STORES PLC

CEYLON GRAIN ELEVATORS PLC Hot

CEYLON TEA BROKERS PLC

CEYLON TOBACCO COMPANY PLC

CHEVRON LUBRICANTS LANKA PLC

COLOMBO FORT LAND & BUILDING PLC

COMMERCIAL BANK OF CEYLON PLC

CITRUS LEISURE PLC Hot

COMMERCIAL CREDIT AND FINANCE PLC

D

DANKOTUWA PORCELAIN PLC

DFCC BANK PLC

DIALOG AXIATA PLC

DIALOG FINANCE PLC

DIPPED PRODUCTS PLC

DISTILLERIES COMPANY OF SRI LANKA PLC

DUNAMIS CAPITAL PLC

E

EAST WEST PROPERTIES PLC Hot

EASTERN MERCHANTS PLC

EXPOLANKA HOLDINGS PLC

E-CHANNELLING PLC

F

FIRST CAPITAL HOLDINGS PLC

G

GALADARI HOTELS (LANKA) PLC

GUARDIAN CAPITAL PARTNERS PLC

H

HATTON NATIONAL BANK PLC

HAYLEYS PLC

HAYLEYS FABRIC PLC

HAYLEYS FIBRE PLC Hot

HEMAS HOLDINGS PLC

HIKKADUWA BEACH RESORT PLC

HNB ASSURANCE PLC

HVA FOODS PLC

J

JANASHAKTHI INSURANCE COMPANY PLC

JOHN KEELLS HOLDINGS PLC Hot

JOHN KEELLS HOTELS PLC

L

LANKA ASHOK LEYLAND PLC

LANKA IOC PLC

LANKEM CEYLON PLC

LANKEM DEVELOPMENTS PLC

LAUGFS GAS PLC

LAUGFS POWER LIMITED

LOLC FINANCE PLC

LOLC HOLDINGS PLC

LUCKY LANKA MILK PROCESSING COMPANY PLC

M

MELSTACORP PLC

N

NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT BANK PLC

NATION LANKA FINANCE PLC

NESTLE LANKA PLC

O

ORIENT FINANCE PLC

OVERSEAS REALTY (CEYLON) PLC

P

PANASIAN POWER PLC

PEOPLE'S LEASING & FINANCE PLC

PIRAMAL GLASS CEYLON PLC

PRIME FINANCE PLC

R

RAIGAM WAYAMBA SALTERNS PLC

RENUKA AGRI FOODS PLC

RENUKA CAPITAL PLC

RENUKA HOLDINGS PLC

RICHARD PIERIS AND COMPANY PLC

RICHARD PIERIS EXPORTS PLC Hot

ROYAL CERAMICS PLC

S

SAMPATH BANK PLC

SEYLAN BANK PLC

SIERRA CABLES PLC

SINGHE HOSPITALS PLC Hot

SMB LEASING PLC

SOFTLOGIC HOLDINGS PLC

SOFTLOGIC LIFE INSURANCE PLC

SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC

SWISSTEK (CEYLON) PLC Hot

T

TEEJAY LANKA PLC

TESS AGRO PLC

THREE ACRE FARMS PLC

TOKYO CEMENT COMPANY (LANKA) PLC Hot

U

UNION BANK OF COLOMBO PLC

V

VALLIBEL FINANCE PLC

VALLIBEL ONE PLC Hot

VALLIBEL POWER ERATHNA PLC

W

WASKADUWA BEACH RESORT PLC

You are not connected. Please login or register

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ » FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ » SECRET of harnessing the Intrinsic value to gain profits

SECRET of harnessing the Intrinsic value to gain profits

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

hunter

hunter
Have you ever seen a share, price-stagnated for a long time, forgotten and buried by almost everybody; all of a sudden, come to life and jump up a huge percentage and stay there to take a rest and after sometime jump another big percentage; just like climbing up a steep staircase non stop?

Or else, have you ever seen a share; for a long time, drifting sideways, long forgotten by everyone; all of a sudden, get a kick start and start to ascend like a hot air balloon - slowly but steadily and continually - never even think about stopping anywhere?

Have you thought of getting a chance to ride on such a share; at least in wildest of your dreams?

Let this thread be a humble effort to help identifying such shares; or at least help justifying to ourselves the existence of such shares in the real world.

=========================================================

This is supposed to be an extension of the earlier thread and related posts;

http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t9979-one-secret-revealed-bending-time-to-earn-money#67268

Earlier, we discussed the following:

* Stock market is made up of 4 variables: shares, prices, volumes and time
* If we trade randomly, our winning chances are less than 30%
* If we use cyclic nature of share movements to our advantage; the winning probability will become 30%+10% = 40%

Last time we discussed the variable - time

Let's now take another variable to our discussion - shares (stocks or counters).

There are nearly 250 shares in CSE (may be more now)
Do you think all the shares have equal possibility to bring us profits in near future? Or in other words, do all of them have equal 'energy' to grow tomorrow?

Possibly not.
(Well, it's a no-brainer!).

At any given time, not all the shares have equal potential to bring us profits. That part anyone can guess. But the tricky part is how to differentiate (and identify high potentials).

What can make a share move (or grow)?

Out of dozens of probable causes or reasons, In this thread, I would like to discuss only one of them, and call it the 'potential energy' (intrinsic value).

What is potential energy?

Most of us may know.
Anyway, let's take an example as a starting point.

EXAMPLE:

Imagine a long road. Imagine this road goes over a hill and makes a long slope. Imagine there are few heavy (big, up to your waist) stone balls at the end of this slope.
OK?

Now, all of these stones are just lying there, none is moving. We say, non of them have 'potential energy' to move.
Suppose you select one stone and roll it hard along the road uphill. Now you have to push and hold it hard in order to prevent the stone from rolling coming down the slope; so you roll it and hold, midway uphill.

Now, we don't release the stone yet but if we released, it would start rolling down. At this stage, we say, the stone has some 'potential energy' (you may loosely call it 'intrinsic energy' as well).

Now, if this stone is rolled more uphill, we say it will gather more potential energy.
If we hold stones at different heights, they will have different 'potential energy' values ('intrinsic values').

Got some idea?
OK

Now release your stone...
It will start slowly rolling down, then gather more and more speed as it rolls down.

When it rolls down, the potential energy value comes down but the speed (or the momentum) keeps on increasing until it comes right to the very bottom of the hill.
Now, it has no potential energy, so, will it stop right there? Nope, the momentum will bring it further away beyond its potential (intrinsic value) level.

END OF EXAMPLE.

(I have observed some shares move just like the stone in our example. Let's talk about that in another day)

Now, I guess, we are somewhat clear about the concept of Intrinsic value in general (In terms of grade 8 science subject at least).

OK

What do we exactly mean by intrinsic value when it comes to a share?

Let's take another simple example;
(I call this 'home made common sense' approach of identifying 'intrinsic value').

Suppose there is a hotel in your town, and it is listed in CSE (obviously). Suppose it has not been open for couple of years for business due to renovation work. The revenue has been nearly zero for many a months. It has been making consistent losses for many quarters. The share price has dropped virtually to zero.

But since you walk by there daily, you see things are going to change pretty soon. The hotel is getting ready for the next tourist season in a grand manner. With all new outlooks, new facilities, etc etc. And this hotel is located in the most prime location in this tourist town as well.
Do you think it is good time and good price to buy the share now?
Another no-brainer; Isn't it?

Well, quite contrarily, in the stock market, nobody cares a damn about this share yet. It is laying in a corner, rusted and unnoticed.
But if you use your 'common sense' valuation, you will identify the potential, you will see the 'intrinsic value'.

What made us to identify the potential?
We used our imagination to visualize the future of the business!
We visualized 5 weeks ahead; 5 months ahead or probably 5 years ahead.

Is this a good tool?

When used properly, this is a powerful tool good enough to build you an entire empire!

No! above is not my own idea; but if you need a proof ask Warren Buffet - the richest philanthropist in the world. (Mr. Buffet, I guess you don't mind me quoting your name here).: (-I wish he was reading this- Laughing )

Apart from our 'home made' approach, There are a wide variety of systematic analysis methods to identify the potential value of a share. These techniques may span across a wide range; may be as simple as our home made model or it could be a thorough analysis of company resources, business trends, socio-economic factors etc etc etc. One such concise system I came across is CANSLIM, it touches upon the concept of potential value.

Whatever the method use, in my view, the basic principle remains the same: you are trying to judge the future situation of the business. You are trying to visualize how the business will perform in the future.

And by the way, I almost forgot to say, (in my view) this is what mostly 'fundamental analysis' is all about.
Some may agree, some may not, but as I understand, this is what fundamental analysis is all about.

Ok

Do you agree, trying to find 'potential' shares to invest is important?
If yes, let's try to quantify the effect on our winning chances.

Let's not go into extremes of building empires, but just give our 'home made' approach a fair percentage. Can we agree on 10%?

Ok

That means, if we try to identify shares with a potential to grow and invest in them, our winning chances are increased by 10%
Agreed?

[A word here:
I am not an expert in fundamental analysis. Not an expert in Intrinsic value identification either. The objective of this discussion is enabling you to try out this yourself or learn from an expert with an understanding of its effect on your probability of making profits. There are many experts in the subject matter even in this forum. I believe they will continue to extend their help]

Now, let's summarize;

If we trade randomly, our winning chances were 30%;
using time to our advantage, it became 30%+10% = 40%

Then, if we select our 'potential' shares and use time to our advantage our probability of winning profits becomes 30% + 10% +10% = 50%!!

Hmmm.....
We are almost there; but, as we know, 50% is not quite good enough to make consistent profits; we are still on the fence; we need one more apple to add to topple the cart; we need one more atom to exceed the critical mass; we need one more Rupee to pass the break even point.

If you feel like this is the path to start that nuclear chain reaction; if you think you are tough enough to withstand another round of my bragging, let's move on to find another 'bent coin' to add to our arsenal.

pirate

pirate
Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic
keep ur good work up,mate. really appriciate ur effort. !!!

sas

sas
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
@hunter wrote:Friends, thanks a lot for your appreciation of our efforts. To some extent, I am surprised to learn that we have lot of talents in this forum: professionals, industry experience veterans; young enthusiasts etc etc. It is a great feeling to have a chance to associate myself with you and try to help each other.

For a moment, I though there were some guys pretending as women, but @tanzanite, now I know you are genuinely 'female' because no 'man' on Earth can imitate that 'flattery' so effectively.
Ha ha haaa Laughing Laughing Laughing
Just kidding sister!

In fact you were one of the people who asked me to start this thread. Therefore, if ever, someone find this useful, a big portion of the credit should directly go to you.

I thought of starting a new thread to continue our discussion so that we have room in this thread to discuss anything related to cycles and patterns.

The URL of the new thread is;

http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t10022-secret-of-harnessing-the-intrinsic-value-to-gain-profits#67431

hunter this is really true, this forum is full of real people who are in the real game.
theres no persistence for fake IDs (like in facebook)
appreciate your effort very much, + rep again
I really like things like "M is a function of ....." Very Happy

tanzanite

tanzanite
Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic
Hi Hunter, its genuine appreciation , just to encourage you, cos you took the time - Time is so precious for all!!! This gesture of yours to teach us was a selfless one. It helps to know someone appreciated your effort. Most try to get and not give of themselves even if they have the knowledge!!!! So appreciation of good works from me is always GENUINE my dear friend.

kaka

Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics
Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics
keep going

Ben Graham

Ben Graham
Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic
nice work hunter. +rep from me.. keep it up

ishnet

ishnet
Manager - Equity Analytics
Manager - Equity Analytics
Good lesson from good teacher,Go ahead Hunter....................... cheers cheers

sajcolombo

Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic
Hi Hunter...

Hope u are ok. Please continiue the next part of this.

Thanks.

hunter

hunter
Thanks a lot friends for your encouraging comments.
Hope I didn't leave our journey on the fence (50:50) for long Laughing Laughing .

sajcolombo, Thanks for your reminder. I was almost forgetting my next post.

Anyway, now it's done. I invite you to have a look at the new thread,

http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t10367-profit-making-secrets-market-price-vs-invisible-hand#69759

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum