FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.


Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com


Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.


Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post


ADVERTISE
Poll

EXCHANGE RATE PREDICTION: 2022

 
 
 
 

View results

ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post


CONATCT US


Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer



Latest topics

» Buy lofc tomorrow - Maharaja
by Maharaja Yesterday at 10:12 pm

» MULTI FINANCE PLC (MFL.N0000)
by Eleven Yesterday at 9:28 pm

» AGSTAR PLC (AGST.N0000)
by Thushara Ayya Yesterday at 4:18 pm

» ACL; MELS; HHL; BIL; LWL- STOCKS TO WATCH
by ADVENTUS Yesterday at 1:43 pm

» LIOC ....Get in soon
by samaritan Yesterday at 11:49 am

» Sinopec likely to enter Lankan fuel market
by samaritan Yesterday at 9:41 am

» RW - Rescue Warrior of Sri Lanka's Economy
by reyaz Yesterday at 8:17 am

» Should Central bank increase Interest rates?
by reyaz Yesterday at 7:52 am

» LPRT and CHOT old and profitable businesses, yet severely undervalued
by sheildskye Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:05 pm

» L G I L - Maharaja special
by Chula Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:24 pm

» Day Trader may find a stock attractive if it moves a lot during the day. Stock market for beginners and day traders
by Asoka Samarakone Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:54 am

» Foundation laid for Nestlé Lanka’s Rs.5bn factory expansion
by nilantha suranga Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:57 am

» HAYLEYS PLC (HAYL.N0000)
by cseboss Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:21 pm

» I can't understad your behaviour
by D.G.Dayaratne Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:56 pm

» BROWNS INVESTMENTS PLC (BIL.N0000)
by samaritan Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:38 am

» AAIC 100 = SCAP 16
by sojsilva Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:14 am

» HAYLEYS PLC (HAYL.N0000)
by EPS Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:33 pm

» Maersk sees global supply chain woes for longer
by samaritan Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:11 pm

» World Cities Summit: Sri Lanka's US$14b Port City Colombo still viable despite crisis, says official
by samaritan Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:21 am

» Bulls return to Colombo stock market with new vigour
by samaritan Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:11 am

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

MARKET CHAT


CHRONICLE™ ANALYTICS


ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)


CHRONICLE™ YouTube

LATEST TWEETS

You are not connected. Please login or register

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ » CORPORATE CHRONICLE™ » Market Sentiment Cycle - Where are we?

Market Sentiment Cycle - Where are we?

+7
godswen
Kumar
rjeranimo
rijayasooriya
sriranga
Slstock
Quibit
11 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Market Sentiment Cycle - Where are we? Empty Market Sentiment Cycle - Where are we? Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:35 am

Quibit


Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics

Market Sentiment Cycle - Where are we? Market11



Last edited by Quibit on Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total

2Market Sentiment Cycle - Where are we? Empty Re: Market Sentiment Cycle - Where are we? Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:38 am

Slstock

Slstock
Director - Equity Analytics
Director - Equity Analytics

Okay the key point where are we at now?

Will be interesting topic.

3Market Sentiment Cycle - Where are we? Empty Re: Market Sentiment Cycle - Where are we? Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:52 am

Quibit


Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics

According to the below article Stock Market Euphoria ended in July 2011
http://www.dailynews.lk/2011/07/27/bus01.asp

Market euphoria receding - Frontier Capital CEO
Ravi LADDUWAHETTY
After the phenomenal rise of the All Share Index (ASI) by 284 percent to a high of 7,797.96 on February 28 the stock investment euphoria is now gradually coming to an end with the index falling below its lowest ever during the last two years.

Investors are beginning to realize the inherent risk involved in investing in illiquid markets, a top market analyst said.

“The market had already enjoyed peace dividends and time has come for investors to adopt a more prudent approach towards the stock selection instead of chasing behind rallies and leveraging their portfolios in anticipation of higher returns, Frontier Capital Partners Ltd CEO Nishan Sumanadeera told Daily News Business yesterday.

Investors need to identify value stocks, based on fundamental analysis and Value For Money (VFM) approach involving analysis of strength and weaknesses, future growth potentials, opportunities and threats applicable to respective businesses.

Although the current market sentiments are depressed, Sri Lanka has enormous potential in terms of future growth.

Sri Lanka’s sovereign rating outlook was recently raised to positive from stable by Moody’s Investors Service and Sri Lanka received a record $236 million of Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in the first quarter of 2011, with the tourism industry attracting most of the inflows.

Sri Lanka successfully raised $1 billion from the sale of dollar-denominated bonds in its fourth international offering at a time of world debt crisis reflecting investor confidence.

High fiscal deficit and over-dependency of external borrowings still remain a concern with Sri Lanka’s high debt to GDP ratio of over 30 percent and FDI to GDP ratio of less than 2 percent.

“Sri Lanka’s capital market represent only fraction of its national assets. The total market capitalization of the Colombo Stock Exchange (CSE) is about US $ 23 billion representing less than 50 percent of country’s GDP which is about US $ 48 billion. The private sector is likely to contribute with more than 20 percent growth in earnings and Gross Domestic Product (GDP) growth expected to be in the range of 8 percent, reflecting the future potential he said adding that Sri Lanka’s land bank of 65,000 square kilometers which can easily be valued over US$500 billion requires more than average return on assets (ROA) to spark the economy into the next level”.

Sri Lanka also has “high growth, attractive labour costs and a unique strategic geographical location that could be the opportunity for the future, especially in port activities.”

Sumanadeera pointed out that the Stock Market is in the stage of consolidation and Colombo’s investor sentiments will be no longer be influenced by IPO’s, illiquid trading or irrational market behaviours which had been a hallmark during last two years.

In future, investors are likely to be more prudent and likely to make their investment decisions based on corporate earnings and asset values. We are likely to a witness an uptrend of growth in stocks and blue chip shares during the next stage. He stressed that valuations of the stocks were likely to get attractive in the backdrop of higher quarterly earnings and market correction which had resulted in nearly 20 percent decline from its peak.

Foreign investors are also likely to re enter the market soon subject to early resolution to much worried debt crisis in US.

He said the current sentiments in the Colombo Stock Market was clearly reflected by the recently concluded IPOs such as Expolanka, Softlogic and Textured Jersey which resulted in subscriptions less than expected and initial trading prices below its initial public offer prices.

4Market Sentiment Cycle - Where are we? Empty Re: Market Sentiment Cycle - Where are we? Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:05 pm

sriranga

sriranga
Co-Admin

Thanks a lot for sharing this topic at this precise moment.
For our forum readers to get more info, please read the following link.
http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2010/04/lagging-psychology-at-turning-points/
Hope it will help a lot.
Have a good trade.

http://sharemarket-srilanka.blogspot.co.uk/

5Market Sentiment Cycle - Where are we? Empty Re: Market Sentiment Cycle - Where are we? Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:07 pm

rijayasooriya

rijayasooriya
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics

slstock wrote:Okay the key point where are we at now?

Will be interesting topic.
I think we are at a range of capitulation,despondancy,depression and of course some are at hope.

6Market Sentiment Cycle - Where are we? Empty Re: Market Sentiment Cycle - Where are we? Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:34 pm

rjeranimo

rjeranimo
Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic

We are at "Panic" Level I think

Slstock

Slstock
Director - Equity Analytics
Director - Equity Analytics



We are somewhere at the bottom part of the downward cycle in my opinion. Exactly what level is still debatable. Panic we have seen. Despondency we have seen , Depression we have seen. But it over?


As a long term investor ( who also does some percentage trading I admit) , I can say one thing.
I see opportunities for huge future capital gains if we invest wisely and hold patiently without looking at short term price fluctuations.

But the operative word is you need to buy and forget about it for several years without fretting about short term. If not then this is not a time to buy.

How many of you are prepared to invest for the long term future? ( several years).


I saw in another forum a person talking about decade ;-)

Slstock

Slstock
Director - Equity Analytics
Director - Equity Analytics

amilaela wrote:kkkkkkk

Appreciate if you would comment properly ( if any) without "kkkkkk" to bump.

Kumar

Kumar
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics

sriranga wrote:
http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2010/04/lagging-psychology-at-turning-points/
.

Thanks a lot for the link.

10Market Sentiment Cycle - Where are we? Empty Re: Market Sentiment Cycle - Where are we? Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:54 pm

godswen

godswen
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

Fxstreet.com explains Capitulation phase,

At this point the majority becomes exceedingly bearish and throws in the towel, fearful of further declines and the potential disappearance of their assets. This is the capitulation phase, when stocks are sold on fear and emotion rather than on rational analysis. It is at that point that the market is finally ready to make an important bottom.

,which I think is fear and desperation according to the Qubis Cycle!
Some stocks were sold purely on emotion on last few days!

Yet it is still hard to say where are we at,confused! So we better give sometime and see!

Also i found another graph from srirangas' link, and I thought it is same as the ASI at the moment! (This is not a technical analysis, just sharing what I observed, and it can't be 100% accurate!)

Market Sentiment Cycle - Where are we? Untitl11

And Yes, many have started to hate the market! They will say it is disgusting! xD

sriranga

sriranga
Co-Admin

GMNet wrote:Market Sentiment Cycle - Where are we? Market11

Efficient markets are based on the assumption that rational people enter transactions with the intent to maximize gains and minimize losses. While this theory is sound, most investors are not the purely rational robots that efficient markets rely upon. Instead, emotions often cloud our decision-making and prevent us from acting in a rational manner.

Knowing we can never conquer our inherent emotional biases, we should seek to understand the range of emotions we may experience as investors and how it affects our interactions with the market. A common market psychology cycle exists that shines light on how emotions evolve and the effect they have on our decisions. By understanding the stages of this cycle, we can tame the emotional roller coaster. The fourteen stages are:

Optimism – A positive outlook encourages us about the future, leading us to buy stocks.

Excitement – Having seen some of our initial ideas work, we begin considering what our market success could allow us to accomplish.

Thrill – At this point we investors cannot believe our success and begin to comment on how smart we are.

Euphoria – This marks the point of maximum financial risk. Having seen every decision result in quick, easy profits, we begin to ignore risk and expect every trade to become profitable.

Anxiety – For the first time the market moves against us. Having never stared at unrealized losses, we tell ourselves we are long-term investors and that all our ideas will eventually work.

Denial – When markets have not rebounded, yet we do not know how to respond, we begin denying either that we made poor choices or that things will not improve shortly.

Fear – The market realities become confusing. We believe the stocks we own will never move in our favour.

Desperation – Not knowing how to act, we grasp at any idea that will allow us to get back to break even.

Panic – Having exhausted all ideas, we are at a loss for what to do next.

Capitulation – Deciding our portfolio will never increase again, we sell all our stocks to avoid any future losses.

Despondency – After exiting the markets we do not want to buy stocks ever again. This often marks the moment of greatest financial opportunity.

Depression – Not knowing how we could be so foolish, we are left trying to understand our actions.

Hope – Eventually we return to the realization that markets move in cycles, and we begin looking for our next opportunity.

Relief – Having bought a stock that turned profitable, we renew our faith that there is a future in investing.

Individuals clearly follow this cycle in their decision making process.
By Sean Hannon, CFA, CFP is a professional fund manager.
Edited article from http://www.stocktradingtogo.com

http://sharemarket-srilanka.blogspot.co.uk/

12Market Sentiment Cycle - Where are we? Empty Re: Market Sentiment Cycle - Where are we? Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:58 am

Redbulls

Redbulls
Director - Equity Analytics
Director - Equity Analytics

sriranga wrote:
GMNet wrote:Market Sentiment Cycle - Where are we? Market11

Efficient markets are based on the assumption that rational people enter transactions with the intent to maximize gains and minimize losses. While this theory is sound, most investors are not the purely rational robots that efficient markets rely upon. Instead, emotions often cloud our decision-making and prevent us from acting in a rational manner.

Knowing we can never conquer our inherent emotional biases, we should seek to understand the range of emotions we may experience as investors and how it affects our interactions with the market. A common market psychology cycle exists that shines light on how emotions evolve and the effect they have on our decisions. By understanding the stages of this cycle, we can tame the emotional roller coaster. The fourteen stages are:

Optimism – A positive outlook encourages us about the future, leading us to buy stocks.

Excitement – Having seen some of our initial ideas work, we begin considering what our market success could allow us to accomplish.

Thrill – At this point we investors cannot believe our success and begin to comment on how smart we are.

Euphoria – This marks the point of maximum financial risk. Having seen every decision result in quick, easy profits, we begin to ignore risk and expect every trade to become profitable.

Anxiety – For the first time the market moves against us. Having never stared at unrealized losses, we tell ourselves we are long-term investors and that all our ideas will eventually work.

Denial – When markets have not rebounded, yet we do not know how to respond, we begin denying either that we made poor choices or that things will not improve shortly.

Fear – The market realities become confusing. We believe the stocks we own will never move in our favour.

Desperation – Not knowing how to act, we grasp at any idea that will allow us to get back to break even.

Panic – Having exhausted all ideas, we are at a loss for what to do next.

Capitulation – Deciding our portfolio will never increase again, we sell all our stocks to avoid any future losses.

Despondency – After exiting the markets we do not want to buy stocks ever again. This often marks the moment of greatest financial opportunity.

Depression – Not knowing how we could be so foolish, we are left trying to understand our actions.

Hope – Eventually we return to the realization that markets move in cycles, and we begin looking for our next opportunity.

Relief – Having bought a stock that turned profitable, we renew our faith that there is a future in investing.

Individuals clearly follow this cycle in their decision making process.
By Sean Hannon, CFA, CFP is a professional fund manager.
Edited article from http://www.stocktradingtogo.com

Thanks for sharing.

13Market Sentiment Cycle - Where are we? Empty Re: Market Sentiment Cycle - Where are we? Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:41 am

Redbulls

Redbulls
Director - Equity Analytics
Director - Equity Analytics

14Market Sentiment Cycle - Where are we? Empty Re: Market Sentiment Cycle - Where are we? Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:00 am

K.Haputantri

K.Haputantri
Co-Admin

Thanks Red. This sums up the ordial we underwent since 2009.

15Market Sentiment Cycle - Where are we? Empty Re: Market Sentiment Cycle - Where are we? Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:23 pm

gamaya


Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics
Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics

Just curious if this cycle thing works for CSE? Any guys with above 10 yr experience?

16Market Sentiment Cycle - Where are we? Empty Re: Market Sentiment Cycle - Where are we? Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:16 am

traderathome

traderathome
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics

We are goin into Relief Stage .......imo Rolling Eyes

17Market Sentiment Cycle - Where are we? Empty Re: Market Sentiment Cycle - Where are we? Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:35 am

Slstock

Slstock
Director - Equity Analytics
Director - Equity Analytics

Lets look at it this way. There will be a market bottom and market top and cycles.

So it applies/applied to CSE.

BTW, we have seen utter depression and utter euphoria haven't we within the last few years.




gamaya wrote:Just curious if this cycle thing works for CSE? Any guys with above 10 yr experience?

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum