FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.


Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com


Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.


Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka


Submit PostSubmit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post



EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)


CHRONICLE™ YouTube

CHRONICLE™ NEWS PRODUCTS

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Views & Reviews, Analysis, Evaluations, Discussions, Gossip and Hot Tips relating to Sri Lankan companies listed on the Colombo Stock Exchange (CSE)
Contribute




DAILY CHRONICLE™

Latest news and articles published in Newspapers, Websites, Blogs and other online news sites relating to business and investments in Sri Lanka
Contribute



ECONOMIC CHRONICLE™

This is a section that provide news, views, analysis, predications relating to Political and Socio-Economic factors and how such activities affect the Stock Market and other economic activity of the Country.

Contribute




EXPERT CHRONICLE™

This is an exclusive section for Expert Articles which will help member to share knowledge through comments and responses of the members. All members are allowed to reply and make comments to these articles.

Contribute


Submit Post


CHRONICLE™ YouTube

Youtube Videos and other visual presentations relating Stock market and other investment advise submitted by members or other contributors.

Contribute


Submit Post


කොළඔ කොටස් වෙළඳපොළේ වංශකථාව
කොළඔ කොටස් වෙළඳපොළේ ලැයිස්තුගත සමාගම් කොටස් ගැන තොරතුරු¸විශ්ලේෂණ¸සාකච්ඡා¸ කටකතා¸රසකතා යන සියල්ල අපේම සිංහලෙන් කතා කළ හැකි ‘කතා මණ්ඩපය’

Contribute

Twitter Feeds
POPULAR COMPANIES
A

ABANS ELECTRICALS PLC

ACCESS ENGINEERING PLC Hot

ACL CABLES PLC

ACL PLASTICS PLC

ACME PRINTING & PACKAGING PLC

AGSTAR PLC

AITKEN SPENCE HOTEL HOLDINGS PLC

AITKEN SPENCE PLC

ANILANA HOTELS AND PROPERTIES PLC

ARPICO INSURANCE PLC

ASIA ASSET FINANCE PLC

ASIA CAPITAL PLC

B

BAIRAHA FARMS PLC

BALANGODA PLANTATIONS PLC

BIMPUTH FINANCE PLC

BLUE DIAMONDS JEWELLERY WORLDWIDE PLC

B P P L HOLDINGS PLC

BROWNS BEACH HOTELS PLC

BROWNS INVESTMENTS PLC

C

CARGO BOAT DEVELOPMENT COMPANY PLC

CENTRAL INDUSTRIES PLC

CEYLON COLD STORES PLC

CEYLON GRAIN ELEVATORS PLC Hot

CEYLON TEA BROKERS PLC

CEYLON TOBACCO COMPANY PLC

CHEVRON LUBRICANTS LANKA PLC

COLOMBO FORT LAND & BUILDING PLC

COMMERCIAL BANK OF CEYLON PLC

CITRUS LEISURE PLC Hot

COMMERCIAL CREDIT AND FINANCE PLC

D

DANKOTUWA PORCELAIN PLC

DFCC BANK PLC

DIALOG AXIATA PLC

DIALOG FINANCE PLC

DIPPED PRODUCTS PLC

DISTILLERIES COMPANY OF SRI LANKA PLC

DUNAMIS CAPITAL PLC

E

EAST WEST PROPERTIES PLC Hot

EASTERN MERCHANTS PLC

EXPOLANKA HOLDINGS PLC

E-CHANNELLING PLC

F

FIRST CAPITAL HOLDINGS PLC

G

GALADARI HOTELS (LANKA) PLC

GUARDIAN CAPITAL PARTNERS PLC

H

HATTON NATIONAL BANK PLC

HAYLEYS PLC

HAYLEYS FABRIC PLC

HAYLEYS FIBRE PLC Hot

HEMAS HOLDINGS PLC

HIKKADUWA BEACH RESORT PLC

HNB ASSURANCE PLC

HVA FOODS PLC

J

JANASHAKTHI INSURANCE COMPANY PLC

JOHN KEELLS HOLDINGS PLC Hot

JOHN KEELLS HOTELS PLC

L

LANKA ASHOK LEYLAND PLC

LANKA IOC PLC

LANKEM CEYLON PLC

LANKEM DEVELOPMENTS PLC

LAUGFS GAS PLC

LAUGFS POWER LIMITED

LOLC FINANCE PLC

LOLC HOLDINGS PLC

LUCKY LANKA MILK PROCESSING COMPANY PLC

M

MELSTACORP PLC

N

NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT BANK PLC

NATION LANKA FINANCE PLC

NESTLE LANKA PLC

O

ORIENT FINANCE PLC

OVERSEAS REALTY (CEYLON) PLC

P

PANASIAN POWER PLC

PEOPLE'S LEASING & FINANCE PLC

PIRAMAL GLASS CEYLON PLC

PRIME FINANCE PLC

R

RAIGAM WAYAMBA SALTERNS PLC

RENUKA AGRI FOODS PLC

RENUKA CAPITAL PLC

RENUKA HOLDINGS PLC

RICHARD PIERIS AND COMPANY PLC

RICHARD PIERIS EXPORTS PLC Hot

ROYAL CERAMICS PLC

S

SAMPATH BANK PLC

SEYLAN BANK PLC

SIERRA CABLES PLC

SINGHE HOSPITALS PLC Hot

SMB LEASING PLC

SOFTLOGIC HOLDINGS PLC

SOFTLOGIC LIFE INSURANCE PLC

SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC

SWISSTEK (CEYLON) PLC Hot

T

TEEJAY LANKA PLC

TESS AGRO PLC

THREE ACRE FARMS PLC

TOKYO CEMENT COMPANY (LANKA) PLC Hot

U

UNION BANK OF COLOMBO PLC

V

VALLIBEL FINANCE PLC

VALLIBEL ONE PLC Hot

VALLIBEL POWER ERATHNA PLC

W

WASKADUWA BEACH RESORT PLC


You are not connected. Please login or register

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ » FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ » Buy and Hold strategy

Buy and Hold strategy

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Buy and Hold strategy Empty Buy and Hold strategy Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:03 am

illuminati


Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
It does not work for me. I am sure it does not work for many. To think of it, why do you want to buy and hold in a declining market ! Imagine some one buying six months ago a few fundamentally sound blue chips where the PER was below 10. Now the same counters are trading at much lower levels with even lower PER. Simply put with the same amount of money you could buy more blue chips now than before. Typical bear market scenario.

The best option is don,t be in a mighty hurry to buy and hold. Let some one else buy it and hold it for you. Borrow them at the right moment and remember to return them safely after a good run! That,s how smart money works. Do you need credit at all !

2Buy and Hold strategy Empty Re: Buy and Hold strategy Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:10 am

insidertrader


Manager - Equity Analytics
Manager - Equity Analytics
I guess at the end of the next year most of the blue chips will be selling at the same price levels. I don't see anything dramatically going on in their core businesses.

3Buy and Hold strategy Empty Re: Buy and Hold strategy Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:32 pm

sas

sas
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
@illuminati wrote:It does not work for me. I am sure it does not work for many. To think of it, why do you want to buy and hold in a declining market ! Imagine some one buying six months ago a few fundamentally sound blue chips where the PER was below 10. Now the same counters are trading at much lower levels with even lower PER. Simply put with the same amount of money you could buy more blue chips now than before. Typical bear market scenario.

The best option is don,t be in a mighty hurry to buy and hold. Let some one else buy it and hold it for you. Borrow them at the right moment and remember to return them safely after a good run! That,s how smart money works. Do you need credit at all !

Your idea is somewhat similar to mine.

@sas wrote: my aim is to gain 10% within 6 months or 20% within 1yr(approximately) If I overgained before that time period I don' think twice to sell, & also I don't like to stuck in a crap
my definition for crap is;
" any share (fundamentally strong, manipulated, liquid, illiquid,....whatever) which doesn't give you expected growth within your targeted investment period "

fundermentally strong share ??? I see shares as >>share+the person who holding it<< shares alone may be fundermentally strong, but what happens if the people who holding that are not so strong.

Ex: both my brokers says some share 'X' is fundermentally stong when its trading at 50.00 all forum members also agrees, I don't buy, but someone will buy, he sees it going down, he sells immediately & think Oh! I escaped from minor loss & another buys at 49.00 & above part continues... now it's trading at 30.00 should I jump & buy quickly?
NO I can buy it 30.50, 30.70, 31.50....45.00,45.80...49.50, 50.00
It should have a gradual increase. OK, I buy it at 31.00, our investors keep on buying that till 40.00, NOW why don't I sell it? initially I expected to buy it at 50.00 & sell 60.00 after year--still do I have to wait till it hit 60.00?
http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t13460-this-is-it
but, I don't agree with one of your previous post
@illuminati wrote:
Stay away from the market as a tsunami is expected to hit the market very soon! http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t13611-investors-please-answer
1. you are participating in the forum.
which means you r somehow interested in cse.
2.you are expecting a tsunami.
which means you are waiting for a sudden big price decline (more)
3. you don't like to buy & hold.
from all above what I can see is 'you are waiting with cash to buy from that (upcoming) sudden drop"

I'm not expecting any sudden big drop, but what I see is there are some shares that jumps up suddenly with green light, & I like to hold some which satisfies my buying & selling range. any idea Smile

4Buy and Hold strategy Empty Re: Buy and Hold strategy Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:47 pm

sriranga

sriranga
Co-Admin
http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t13774-buy-and-hold-stock-strategy#89585

http://sharemarket-srilanka.blogspot.co.uk/

5Buy and Hold strategy Empty Re: Buy and Hold strategy Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:02 pm

sas

sas
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
@sriranga wrote:http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t13774-buy-and-hold-stock-strategy#89585
Thank you very much sriranga Smile

6Buy and Hold strategy Empty Re: Buy and Hold strategy Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:23 pm

illuminati


Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
I expect a drastic decline in the market simply due to lack of liquidity. That is why I am advising my fellow members not to be in a hurry to collect shares. There will be plenty to buy then !

7Buy and Hold strategy Empty Re: Buy and Hold strategy Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:32 pm

Kumar

Kumar
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
I think the time is OK to buy and hold no?

8Buy and Hold strategy Empty Re: Buy and Hold strategy Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:14 pm

illuminati


Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
Kumar,

Give me a few reasons why you want to buy and hold in a declining market as you could by more shares later with the same amount money.

9Buy and Hold strategy Empty Re: Buy and Hold strategy Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:38 pm

Kumar

Kumar
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
@illuminati wrote:Kumar,

Give me a few reasons why you want to buy and hold in a declining market as you could by more shares later with the same amount money.

No one in the world can predict the bottom.
If you look for bottom to come and invest 99% you won't get a chance to buy what you want.
If you thing the counter are bargain then you need to start to invest little by little.
I used to invest with the dollar cost averaging stratey which upto now safeguard me(learned from my dad).
Please keep in your mind everyone got their own strategy which is suitable for them.
May be my strategy won't work for others.
Good luck.

10Buy and Hold strategy Empty Re: Buy and Hold strategy Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:49 pm

sas

sas
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
@illuminati:
I just want to know whether "You are still waiting for the tsunami to hit?" or "Are you fully or partially IN?"

I'm a very democratic person who asks everyones opinion & takes the decision that I want....so no need to worry about me, I just need your idea, Thanks in advance... Smile

11Buy and Hold strategy Empty Re: Buy and Hold strategy Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:36 pm

Tiger

Tiger
Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics
Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics
I am 95% invested from my investment a/c in SL. Unable to invest more in foreign currency until exchange rate policy is clear.

Do or Die.

12Buy and Hold strategy Empty Re: Buy and Hold strategy Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:16 pm

rijayasooriya

rijayasooriya
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
@Kumar wrote:
@illuminati wrote:Kumar,

Give me a few reasons why you want to buy and hold in a declining market as you could by more shares later with the same amount money.

No one in the world can predict the bottom.
If you look for bottom to come and invest 99% you won't get a chance to buy what you want.
If you thing the counter are bargain then you need to start to invest little by little.
I used to invest with the dollar cost averaging stratey which upto now safeguard me(learned from my dad).
Please keep in your mind everyone got their own strategy which is suitable for them.
May be my strategy won't work for others.
Good luck.
I agree with u Kumar.
Theoratically and logically illuminati got a point but practically what kumar says is right.In CSE ASI is also thoroughly manipulated so it is very difficult to find out the actual bottom.

13Buy and Hold strategy Empty Re: Buy and Hold strategy Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:21 pm

Kumar

Kumar
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
@rijayasooriya wrote:
@Kumar wrote:
@illuminati wrote:Kumar,

Give me a few reasons why you want to buy and hold in a declining market as you could by more shares later with the same amount money.

No one in the world can predict the bottom.
If you look for bottom to come and invest 99% you won't get a chance to buy what you want.
If you thing the counter are bargain then you need to start to invest little by little.
I used to invest with the dollar cost averaging stratey which upto now safeguard me(learned from my dad).
Please keep in your mind everyone got their own strategy which is suitable for them.
May be my strategy won't work for others.
Good luck.
I agree with u Kumar.
Theoratically and logically illuminati got a point but practically what kumar says is right.In CSE ASI is also thoroughly manipulated so it is very difficult to find out the actual bottom.

Please read the following link, good for the present situation.
http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t14868-nobody-knows-anything

14Buy and Hold strategy Empty Re: Buy and Hold strategy Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:33 am

sas

sas
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
problem with da previous 100 minimum buy/sell was people depended on ASI mostly.. when seeing red>>sell, sell..& vice versa. Now ppl know small quantity can do a big change with less effort. Sometimes treatments for some phobia involve exposing to da phobia much...& ppl who stucked in big shares can average , so to me dis z like a massage "If u value da thing just buy & hold" Smile

Appreciate if someone comes with -ve comments, thanks Smile

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum