FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post

ADVERTISE
Poll

EXCHANGE RATE PREDICTION: 2022

View results

ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

Latest topics

» ACL; MELS; HHL; BIL; LWL- STOCKS TO WATCH
by ADVENTUS Today at 6:00 pm

» BAIRAHA FARMS PLC (BFL.N0000)
by arun.cse Today at 4:37 pm

» LIOC ....Get in soon
by arun.cse Today at 3:55 pm

» AAIC Next multibugger- destnation beyond EXPO.
by ADVENTUS Today at 2:14 am

» RENUKA AGRI FOODS PLC (RAL.N0000) TP. 7
by Cma Today at 2:08 am

» Sri Lankan Port Transshipment Hub Threats & Opportunities
by rajini Today at 12:53 am

» LANKA INDIAN OIL CORPORATION - Maharaja
by Maharaja Yesterday at 11:07 pm

» AAIC 100 = SCAP 16
by SamJay1974 Yesterday at 8:12 pm

» SUNSHINE HOLDINGS PLC (SUN.N0000)
by ADVENTUS Yesterday at 8:02 pm

» APLA - Very very undervalued share - Target Price
by Jana Yesterday at 7:07 pm

» HAYLEYS PLC (HAYL.N0000)
by Chamath1980 Yesterday at 5:07 pm

» New Bermuda Triangle
by rajini Yesterday at 2:17 pm

» BOGAWANTALAWA TEA ESTATES PLC (BOPL.N0000)
by cheetah Yesterday at 6:33 am

» Technical update 12.08.2022 Maharaja
by Maharaja Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:04 pm

» Exterminators Plc (EXT.N)
by ErangaDS Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:09 pm

» ALLIANCE FINANCE COMPANY PLC (ALLI.N0000)
by Gaudente Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:08 pm

» GREAT OPPORTUNITIES FOR EVERYONE-
by ADVENTUS Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:12 pm

» LOLC to enter the giant Indian Market
by samaritan Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:52 pm

» Hidden Gem - GLAS - 40/- Soon
by vijay singh Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:36 am

» Buy lofc tomorrow - Maharaja
by Anushka Perz Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:59 am

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

MARKET CHAT

CHRONICLE™ ANALYTICS

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

LATEST TWEETS

You are not connected. Please login or register

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ » CORPORATE CHRONICLE™ » Help: Ethical conflict

Help: Ethical conflict

+2
sriranga
anubis
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Help: Ethical conflict Empty Help: Ethical conflict Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:47 am

anubis

Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

Ok, this is going to be a very very silly question but I decided to ask anyways... pig

First of all, there are certain shares that I wouldn't touch because of my religious beliefs (Tobacco, Poultry etc.). Recently I came across LLUB which I thought is a nice share (specially given current market conditions) and started collecting little by little. However, today I learnt about it's parent company (Chevron US) and was bit upset about their conduct in the Ecuador case (http://tinyurl.com/7tsa2rd).

I'm wondering if I'm being too extremist in this case (it might be the case that all companies have some dark-side if you look too deep into them). In any case, this issue had kept me thinking - finally decided to put it down here and ask for comments...

Thanks in advance Smile

Cheers!

2Help: Ethical conflict Empty Re: Help: Ethical conflict Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:56 am

sriranga

sriranga
Co-Admin

Some times back in this forum there was a thread discussing similar issue.( May be I'm wrong)
Please check the following link to get more info.(If it is not useful excuse me for bothering you)
http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t10539-i-will-never-buy-poultry-stocks-here-after-its-a-sin

http://sharemarket-srilanka.blogspot.co.uk/

3Help: Ethical conflict Empty Re: Help: Ethical conflict Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:59 am

anubis

@sriranga: your stuff are always useful cheers I'll dig into that thread.

Thanks!

4Help: Ethical conflict Empty Re: Help: Ethical conflict Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:28 am

anubis

Given the status of the thread pointed to by sriranga, I think it would be best if we delete this thread altogether (don't want to start another holy-war).

@admins: please take down this thread (sorry about the mess).

Cheers!

5Help: Ethical conflict Empty Re: Help: Ethical conflict Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:31 am

Kosinna

Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic

I don’t know much about “CHEVRON Sri Lanka” (Rs20.B Mkt capitalization) and this is a subsidiary of Chevron USA with $200B Mkt capitalization. However, if you are worried about Ecuador case, do not worry about at all. Chevron USA will try to reduce the liability and may have provisions (and insurance) against the litigation.
Ecuador case will not directly affect to the Sri Lankan subsidiary. If they have a good management and long-term potential, and the price right, you don’t have to worry.

Chevron USA:
http://www.google.com/finance?q=CHEVRON#

6Help: Ethical conflict Empty Re: Help: Ethical conflict Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:41 am

Kosinna

Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic

Also, all the oil companies are damaging to the environment. There are some cases regarding environmental damages from companies like “APPLE”.

7Help: Ethical conflict Empty Re: Help: Ethical conflict Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:51 am

Sudarshen

Manager - Equity Analytics
Manager - Equity Analytics

Money is a single matter in the life, its not the life. Believe or not, protecting your good ethics will pay you some day.

8Help: Ethical conflict Empty Re: Help: Ethical conflict Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:01 pm

Backstage

Backstage

Anubis, I too thought about this and sold my LLUB due to their horrific behavior in Central America and other places, though I drink and smoke, I think poorly of institutions that profit from getting young people to poison themselves.
Since then I started looking closer at my investments and found out that it is very difficult to invest ethically. Sampath made lots of profits from pawnbroking, Carsons plantations in the Kalimatan province in Indonesia are razing the rainforests and destroying the Orangotans and the lists go on....
I feel a bit confused myself at this point,as I like to think myself as a socially responsible citizen.
It is nice to know that there are others out there who care. (even if you cant do anything about it)

9Help: Ethical conflict Empty Re: Help: Ethical conflict Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:37 pm

Fresher

With due respect, I would like to put forward the following points.
* I too wondered about similar things sometime back but decided not to think more on these. I do however as much as possible try to learn the companies' CSR activities.
* If you are worried about investing in such sectors, then there are other ways that you are investing in them indirectly. eg, through banks, insurance and EPF
* We are damaging the environment in almost everything we do unconsciously and there is nothing much we can do about them.

Therefore, I thought singling out these particular investments will be not feasible afterall

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum