FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.


Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com


Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.


Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka


Submit PostSubmit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post



Latest topics

» GLAS will be winner with Super Gain.
by Eranga87 Today at 2:56 am

» Must watch this video - unnecessary panic
by Jana Today at 1:03 am

» DIPD/HAYC/HAYL
by Love Boy Today at 12:40 am

» LOLC HOLDINGS PLC (LOLC.N0000)
by learningthemarket Today at 12:03 am

» Daily Foreign Transactions
by Mr. X Yesterday at 11:28 pm

» Fall seven times, stand up eight.What happened, has happened. Free your mind from it. Stock market for beginners
by Asoka Samarakone Yesterday at 9:21 pm

» RICHARD PIERIS EXPORTS PLC (REXP.N0000)
by කොටස් වෙළඳපොළ2020 Yesterday at 9:06 pm

» Leading brokers causing market downturn
by Jayashantha Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Unscripted daily drama.Traders are uncertain whether to buy or sell. Stock market for beginners
by Jayashantha Yesterday at 8:40 pm

» SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC (SLTL.N0000)
by KingKong Yesterday at 7:35 pm

» ACCESS ENGINEERING ( AEL.N )
by subash81 Yesterday at 7:01 pm

» OVERSEAS REALTY (CEYLON) PLC (OSEA.N000)
by Captain Yesterday at 5:49 pm

» EXPOLANKA HOLDINGS PLC (EXPO.N0000)
by judecroos Yesterday at 2:40 pm

» LITE.R - STOP THE MADNESS
by Big Bull Yesterday at 12:59 pm

» RHL - CSE's most undervalued stock?
by Promoney Yesterday at 12:09 pm

» Sunshine holding future potential
by keen Yesterday at 10:37 am

» February the month of purification for the Colombo Stock Market
by samaritan Yesterday at 9:47 am

» 5% down...
by Jana Yesterday at 1:52 am

» LANKA ALUMINIUM INDUSTRIES PLC (LALU.N0000)
by Jana Yesterday at 1:05 am

» The SIGNS of SRI LANKAN ECONOMIC RECOVERY
by dayandacool Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:39 pm

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)


CHRONICLE™ YouTube

CHRONICLE™ NEWS PRODUCTS

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Views & Reviews, Analysis, Evaluations, Discussions, Gossip and Hot Tips relating to Sri Lankan companies listed on the Colombo Stock Exchange (CSE)
Contribute




DAILY CHRONICLE™

Latest news and articles published in Newspapers, Websites, Blogs and other online news sites relating to business and investments in Sri Lanka
Contribute



ECONOMIC CHRONICLE™

This is a section that provide news, views, analysis, predications relating to Political and Socio-Economic factors and how such activities affect the Stock Market and other economic activity of the Country.

Contribute




EXPERT CHRONICLE™

This is an exclusive section for Expert Articles which will help member to share knowledge through comments and responses of the members. All members are allowed to reply and make comments to these articles.

Contribute


Submit Post


CHRONICLE™ YouTube

Youtube Videos and other visual presentations relating Stock market and other investment advise submitted by members or other contributors.

Contribute


Submit Post


කොළඔ කොටස් වෙළඳපොළේ වංශකථාව
කොළඔ කොටස් වෙළඳපොළේ ලැයිස්තුගත සමාගම් කොටස් ගැන තොරතුරු¸විශ්ලේෂණ¸සාකච්ඡා¸ කටකතා¸රසකතා යන සියල්ල අපේම සිංහලෙන් කතා කළ හැකි ‘කතා මණ්ඩපය’

Contribute

Twitter Feeds
POPULAR COMPANIES
A

ABANS ELECTRICALS PLC

ACCESS ENGINEERING PLC Hot

ACL CABLES PLC

ACL PLASTICS PLC

ACME PRINTING & PACKAGING PLC

AGSTAR PLC

AITKEN SPENCE HOTEL HOLDINGS PLC

AITKEN SPENCE PLC

ANILANA HOTELS AND PROPERTIES PLC

ARPICO INSURANCE PLC

ASIA ASSET FINANCE PLC

ASIA CAPITAL PLC

B

BAIRAHA FARMS PLC

BALANGODA PLANTATIONS PLC

BIMPUTH FINANCE PLC

BLUE DIAMONDS JEWELLERY WORLDWIDE PLC

B P P L HOLDINGS PLC

BROWNS BEACH HOTELS PLC

BROWNS INVESTMENTS PLC

C

CARGO BOAT DEVELOPMENT COMPANY PLC

CENTRAL INDUSTRIES PLC

CEYLON COLD STORES PLC

CEYLON GRAIN ELEVATORS PLC Hot

CEYLON TEA BROKERS PLC

CEYLON TOBACCO COMPANY PLC

CHEVRON LUBRICANTS LANKA PLC

COLOMBO FORT LAND & BUILDING PLC

COMMERCIAL BANK OF CEYLON PLC

CITRUS LEISURE PLC Hot

COMMERCIAL CREDIT AND FINANCE PLC

D

DANKOTUWA PORCELAIN PLC

DFCC BANK PLC

DIALOG AXIATA PLC

DIALOG FINANCE PLC

DIPPED PRODUCTS PLC

DISTILLERIES COMPANY OF SRI LANKA PLC

DUNAMIS CAPITAL PLC

E

EAST WEST PROPERTIES PLC Hot

EASTERN MERCHANTS PLC

EXPOLANKA HOLDINGS PLC

E-CHANNELLING PLC

F

FIRST CAPITAL HOLDINGS PLC

G

GALADARI HOTELS (LANKA) PLC

GUARDIAN CAPITAL PARTNERS PLC

H

HATTON NATIONAL BANK PLC

HAYLEYS PLC

HAYLEYS FABRIC PLC

HAYLEYS FIBRE PLC Hot

HEMAS HOLDINGS PLC

HIKKADUWA BEACH RESORT PLC

HNB ASSURANCE PLC

HVA FOODS PLC

J

JANASHAKTHI INSURANCE COMPANY PLC

JOHN KEELLS HOLDINGS PLC Hot

JOHN KEELLS HOTELS PLC

L

LANKA ASHOK LEYLAND PLC

LANKA IOC PLC

LANKEM CEYLON PLC

LANKEM DEVELOPMENTS PLC

LAUGFS GAS PLC

LAUGFS POWER LIMITED

LOLC FINANCE PLC

LOLC HOLDINGS PLC

LUCKY LANKA MILK PROCESSING COMPANY PLC

M

MELSTACORP PLC

N

NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT BANK PLC

NATION LANKA FINANCE PLC

NESTLE LANKA PLC

O

ORIENT FINANCE PLC

OVERSEAS REALTY (CEYLON) PLC

P

PANASIAN POWER PLC

PEOPLE'S LEASING & FINANCE PLC

PIRAMAL GLASS CEYLON PLC

PRIME FINANCE PLC

R

RAIGAM WAYAMBA SALTERNS PLC

RENUKA AGRI FOODS PLC

RENUKA CAPITAL PLC

RENUKA HOLDINGS PLC

RICHARD PIERIS AND COMPANY PLC

RICHARD PIERIS EXPORTS PLC Hot

ROYAL CERAMICS PLC

S

SAMPATH BANK PLC

SEYLAN BANK PLC

SIERRA CABLES PLC

SINGHE HOSPITALS PLC Hot

SMB LEASING PLC

SOFTLOGIC HOLDINGS PLC

SOFTLOGIC LIFE INSURANCE PLC

SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC

SWISSTEK (CEYLON) PLC Hot

T

TEEJAY LANKA PLC

TESS AGRO PLC

THREE ACRE FARMS PLC

TOKYO CEMENT COMPANY (LANKA) PLC Hot

U

UNION BANK OF COLOMBO PLC

V

VALLIBEL FINANCE PLC

VALLIBEL ONE PLC Hot

VALLIBEL POWER ERATHNA PLC

W

WASKADUWA BEACH RESORT PLC


You are not connected. Please login or register

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ » FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ » How long will it take to recover losses

How long will it take to recover losses

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1How long will it take to recover losses Empty How long will it take to recover losses Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:26 am

awije


Stock Analytic
Stock Analytic
Lots of investors are facing huge unrealized losses now and this may increase further in the next few weeks. Even I have a 30% unrealized loss at present.

My question is most of us are expecting to recover at least our capital when the market picks up and some are expecting to make a profit as well.

Is this realistic, can we expect to recover a loss between 30-50% when the market turns and roughly how long should we have to wait for this.

Could anyone who has faced similar situation tell us if s/he managed to recover the capital and how long it took them.

amilaela

amilaela
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
im also 30% loss ... what will do...

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001851586843

Slstock

Slstock
Director - Equity Analytics
Director - Equity Analytics
@awije wrote:Lots of investors are facing huge unrealized losses now and this may increase further in the next few weeks. Even I have a 30% unrealized loss at present.

My question is most of us are expecting to recover at least our capital when the market picks up and some are expecting to make a profit as well.

Is this realistic, can we expect to recover a loss between 30-50% when the market turns and roughly how long should we have to wait for this.

Could anyone who has faced similar situation tell us if s/he managed to recover the capital and how long it took them.


Can you recover losses 30-50%?

It all depends on your holding power , patience and the quality of the shares you hold. ( leaving out the fact
that at any given time certain shares can be manipulated to have runs from 50-100% as we seen many times).

How long is a question but when ever it happens ( we hope the upward trend happens within this year but cannot say when right now. In the past, during difficult times, I lost 60% on certain shares but after holding with patience, I gained 200-300% )

and if you hold companies which are trading at considerable discounts to market and their sector PEs, they can bring 30% return easily if it has a proper run. Key is to identify such share which has higher probability.

According to my understanding, we do not have to be hopeful of market recovering 30% for our shares to recover 30% if we hold the right shares. Certain shares can run faster than ASI when it recovers. Also opposite maybe possible.

For example

1) say you bought a share at Rs 100 , 10 months ago. But now it is Rs 50. We should not expect it to run to Rs 100 again ( becaue it was rs 100) unless it is undervalued to current market and sector . Why? When you bought at Rs 100 it might have been overvalued by far . Maybe now it corrected to Rs 50 with fair value. So again it going to Rs 100 may not be feasible to expect.

2) Say you bought a share, at Rs 150. Now it is Rs 90. But it is undervalued to market . ( for example say PE is 5, NAv is 1.2). When it recovers it can even recover to100-200% beating the all time high.

It all depends on the share, it values and it investor strength.

So what I suggest is first evaluate the shares you have. Sometimes it better to dispose weak shares and then rotate to stronger one which can give higher return when market recovers

ps : Also some members in the forum preferred to stay out of market until an uptrend is confirmed. I am presuming this is not an option for you to sell completely now as you have 30-50% losses already?



Last edited by slstock on Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

kumudu


Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic
I lost 27 lakhs. it is over 50 percent of my portfolio. Just dot sell until we recover

sriranga

sriranga
Co-Admin
The following chart will give us some idea how much the price need to go up when we incurred loss.( We need to take into consideration of margin costs if applicable)
How long will it take to recover losses Loss1010

There are some more threads discussed in the past related to this issue in this forum.
Example:
http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t12333-cant-we-prevent-from-huge-losses

Again no one can predict 100% when it will reach our targeted price.

http://sharemarket-srilanka.blogspot.co.uk/

walapingana

walapingana
Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic
Oya monawada machan oyagollota nathiune salli withari, mata mage ganith nathiuna me magule market ekak hinda. Eki Jathike Ithirikireme Bankuwe Ekek ekka giya ban. Dan gedarin aith hoyanawa mata ekak . Me industry ekema inna ekak thama bandaganna one, unta thami therenna me job eke range

Slstock

Slstock
Director - Equity Analytics
Director - Equity Analytics
@walapingana wrote:Oya monawada machan oyagollota nathiune salli withari, mata mage ganith nathiuna me magule market ekak hinda. Eki Jathike Ithirikireme Bankuwe Ekek ekka giya ban. Dan gedarin aith hoyanawa mata ekak . Me industry ekema inna ekak thama bandaganna one, unta thami therenna me job eke range


Did she leave you because you lost money in the market? If she going for your Money only maybe it might be a blessing in disguise for you. Look on the positive side.

BTW, I heard a similar story of an Indian Lady. That time the guy left.

walapingana

walapingana
Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic
@slstock wrote:
@walapingana wrote:Oya monawada machan oyagollota nathiune salli withari, mata mage ganith nathiuna me magule market ekak hinda. Eki Jathike Ithirikireme Bankuwe Ekek ekka giya ban. Dan gedarin aith hoyanawa mata ekak . Me industry ekema inna ekak thama bandaganna one, unta thami therenna me job eke range


Did she leave you because you lost money in the market? If she going for your Money only maybe it might be a blessing in disguise for you. Look on the positive side.

BTW, I heard a similar story of an Indian Lady. That time the guy left.

No machan I invested all money received on dowry

Slstock

Slstock
Director - Equity Analytics
Director - Equity Analytics
@walapingana wrote:
@slstock wrote:
@walapingana wrote:Oya monawada machan oyagollota nathiune salli withari, mata mage ganith nathiuna me magule market ekak hinda. Eki Jathike Ithirikireme Bankuwe Ekek ekka giya ban. Dan gedarin aith hoyanawa mata ekak . Me industry ekema inna ekak thama bandaganna one, unta thami therenna me job eke range


Did she leave you because you lost money in the market? If she going for your Money only maybe it might be a blessing in disguise for you. Look on the positive side.

BTW, I heard a similar story of an Indian Lady. That time the guy left.

No machan I invested all money received on dowry

So sorry about your situation.

If you have strong shares atleast you might be able to recover your money or make profit when the market recovers.

What % is your unrealized loss?

Hmm, investing all your money in Stock market is a no no in any case. Sorry you had to learn the very hard way.

Hope things work out for you

10How long will it take to recover losses Empty Re: How long will it take to recover losses Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:59 pm

walapingana

walapingana
Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic
@slstock wrote:
@walapingana wrote:
@slstock wrote:
@walapingana wrote:Oya monawada machan oyagollota nathiune salli withari, mata mage ganith nathiuna me magule market ekak hinda. Eki Jathike Ithirikireme Bankuwe Ekek ekka giya ban. Dan gedarin aith hoyanawa mata ekak . Me industry ekema inna ekak thama bandaganna one, unta thami therenna me job eke range


Did she leave you because you lost money in the market? If she going for your Money only maybe it might be a blessing in disguise for you. Look on the positive side.

BTW, I heard a similar story of an Indian Lady. That time the guy left.

No machan I invested all money received on dowry





So sorry about your situation.

If you have strong shares atleast you might be able to recover your money or make profit when the market recovers.

What % is your unrealized loss?

Hmm, investing all your money in Stock market is a no no in any case. Sorry you had to learn the very hard way.

Hope things work out for you






Thanks for ur kind words

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum