FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» Latest Financial Status and Future Outlook of SMB Finance PLC
by ChatGPT Yesterday at 11:15 pm

» Latest Financial Status and Future Outlook of Overseas Realty PLC
by ChatGPT Yesterday at 11:00 pm

» Latest Financial Status and Future Outlook of Merchant Bank of Sri Lanka & Finance PLC
by ChatGPT Yesterday at 10:55 pm

» McDonald’s අපේ නෙමෙයි අපේ බෝස්ගේ – අබාන්ස් කියයි
by ChooBoy Yesterday at 10:19 am

» AI Assistance for Stock Market Research and Analysis
by ChatGPT Yesterday at 7:12 am

» Comparative Analysis of the Insurance Sector
by God Father Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:46 pm

» Sri Lanka: Why Pay Exorbitant Taxes?
by ChatGPT Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:52 pm

» LANKA CREDIT AND BUSINESS FINANCE PLC (LCBF.N0000)
by K.R Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:15 pm

» CENTRAL INDUSTRIES PLC (CIND.N0000)
by D.G.Dayaratne Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:11 am

» SIYAPATHA FINANACE PLC (SLFL.N0000)
by ChatGPT Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:58 am

» FINANCE AND LEASING SECTOR
by ChatGPT Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:45 am

» LOLC FINANCE PLC (LOFC.N0000)
by ChatGPT Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:36 am

» CIC HOLDINGS PLC (CIC.N0000)
by ChatGPT Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:18 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ChatGPT Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:15 am

» First Capital Holdings PLC: Current Financial performance and future outlook
by God Father Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:58 pm

» LankaBizz: Sri Lanka's First ever Artificially Intelligent (AI) Business and Research Assistant
by God Father Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:27 am

» HOTEL AND TRAVEL SECTOR
by ErangaDS Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:22 am

» CIC Holdings Good Times Ahead
by ashan silva Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:00 am

» EPF Fund keep eye on low P/E Shares
by K.R Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:45 am

» SINS - the Tailwind effects of a crisis hit Economy
by Hawk Eye Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:37 am

» Ceylon cold stores
by Hawk Eye Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:25 am

» Asha securities Provide buy signal for CIC
by ddrperera Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:10 am

» CSE ready for another Downtrend?
by D.G.Dayaratne Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:24 am

» LankaLAW Forum : Sri Lanka’s #1 Discussion Platform for Legal Questions and Answers
by blindhog Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:14 am

» Sri Lanka poised to benefit from demand surge for ‘non-China origin’ graphite
by samaritan Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:31 pm

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

Disclaimer
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

The information contained in this FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ have been submitted by third parties directly without any verification by us. The information available in this forum is not researched or purported to be complete description of the subject matter referred to herein. We do not under any circumstances whatsoever guarantee the accuracy and completeness information contained herein. FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not in any way be responsible or liable for loss or damage which any person or party may sustain or incur by relying on the contents of this report and acting directly or indirectly in any manner whatsoever. Trading or investing in stocks & commodities is a high risk activity. Any action you choose to take in the markets is totally your own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental damages or loss arising out of the use of this information. The information on this website is neither an offer to sell nor solicitation to buy any of the securities mentioned herein. The writers may or may not be trading in the securities mentioned.

Further the writers and users shall not induce or attempt to induce another person to trade in securities using this platform (a) by making or publishing any statement or by making any forecast that he knows to be misleading, false or deceptive; (b) by any dishonest concealment of material facts; (c) by the reckless making or publishing, dishonestly or otherwise of any statement or forecast that is misleading, false or deceptive; or (d) by recording or storing in, or by means of, any mechanical, electronic or other device, information that he knows to be false or misleading in a material particular. Any action writers and users take in respect of (a),(b),(c) and (d) above shall be their own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental violation of securities laws of any country, damages or loss arising out of the use of this information.

AI Live Chat

You are not connected. Please login or register

Colombo Stock Exchange cannot expect a major rally until next year – Jafferjee

+13
Stefan
Slstock
TortoizePlus
WildBear
anu
smallville
Whitebull
Market Sucker
ranferdi
traderathome
wiki
gamaya
Redbulls
17 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Redbulls

Redbulls
Director - Equity Analytics

A Sri Lankan stock broker says the Colombo Stock Exchange cannot expect a major rally up until early part of next year.

Murtaza Jafferjee of JB Securities speaking to News360.lk says, for the market to see a real rally, the interest rates should start coming down thus making the stock market an attractive place to invest.

“I don’t see a major rally, because interest rates should start to come down for that to happen” points out Jafferjee.

“Turn in the cycle will only happen next year” the acclaimed stock analyst added.

Jafferjee’s claims come amidst a 19% rise in the Colombo stock Exchange’s main index during the past four week’s time, which ended yesterday.

Stock Brokers say this trend is on the back of increasing interest in blue chip stocks and wider retail participation.

Thursday also saw the All Share Price Index of the CSE reaching a 7 month high.

However Jafferjee, who is the Managing Director of Colombo based JB Securities says, in any market there will be rallies.

He believes the current trend in the market is not an indicative of a major turnaround in the Colombo bourse.

“Turn in the cycle will only happen next year” added Jafferjee.

He says, this is a traders market and the long-term investors should look for stocks with value.

“People should understand what they are buying. If you don’t understand what you’re buying, you’re speculative” he concluded.
Reporting by: Prasanna C. Rodrigo
http://www.news360.lk/markets/stock-market/news-market-sri-lanka-14-09-2012-colombo-stock-exchange-cannot-expect-a-major-rally-until-next-year-%E2%80%93-jafferjee-678543

gamaya

Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics

I hope Mr. Jefergee would know of the phenomenen called discounting for future. That is stock markets react to upcoming events months in advance. That's explained By Mr. William O' Neil in his book.

wiki

ඔබතුමා කියන්නේ සති දෙකෙන් පොයින්ට් 1000 උඩ යනවා කියනේ ලොකු රැල්ලලක් නෙවෙ කියලද ? scratch

traderathome

traderathome
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics

wiki wrote:ඔබතුමා කියන්නේ සති දෙකෙන් පොයින්ට් 1000 උඩ යනවා කියනේ ලොකු රැල්ලලක් නෙවෙ කියලද ? scratch
i think what he means is the good is yet to come...... Very Happy

study
TAH

ranferdi

ranferdi

He missed the Train... If you are smart you should be able to see that Interest rates are projected to be lower... Some people are so hatred when they missed the train they pelt stones.. he he.. Mr. Jaferjee / Harsha / Ravi are in that group.. Sorry guys.. missed oppotunity can be called as misery...........................

http://::::THIS EMAIL DOESNT WORK.. PLEASE CONTACT ME ON FB ACCO

Market Sucker

Market Sucker
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

Sorry thama kollo,oya dan parakkui...dan ithin uda balan hitapiya Razz Twisted Evil

Whitebull

Turn in the cycle will only happen next year” the acclaimed stock analyst Razz Razz added.

What a prophecy lol! lol! lol!

smallville

smallville
Associate Director - Equity Analytics

“Turn in the cycle will only happen next year” the acclaimed stock analyst added.

Then; there should be a consolidation in coming days..

Stock Brokers say this trend is on the back of increasing interest in blue chip stocks and wider retail participation.

Indeed this is needed for the crap to fall back..

However Jafferjee, who is the Managing Director of Colombo based JB Securities says, in any market there will be rallies.

Ok.. we never knew that Twisted Evil

He believes the current trend in the market is not an indicative of a major turnaround in the Colombo bourse.

Would you say Dumping is on now??? while retailers rally around fundamentals this much.. oh boy..

“People should understand what they are buying. If you don’t understand what you’re buying, you’re speculative” he concluded.

OOPS.. I wonder would Mr. Rajapakse of CT counter argue.. According to him you should buy counters which are going up for no reason or rhyme.. U should know that he conducted day trading seminars to teach these to our poor fellas..
So Dont go saying things like this...

anu

anu
Manager - Equity Analytics

Considering one determinant, that of interest rate and publicly passing comment in the media is immature.

A depreciated currency (by more than 16% within the year) makes the market attractive for foreigners, and that contributed to the inflow of more than 29Bn to the market upto date.
Instability in regional markets and less returns from euro zones gives more comfort for foreigners to look at CSE.

Some large scale strategic investments by foreigners (like in ODEL) also give more assurance.

When corporates as well as retailers find that the tug of war at SEC has somewhat silenced, that no instability at regulatory level, they see long term value and get back. For most of investors, it does not matter who is right and who is wrong; whether there is mafia or whether it is phobia.!
All what matters in the stability.

I do not foresee a situation of huge correction. Definitely there can be dull days with usual corrections and swings in individual shares based information flow.
(Just my personal opinion, contradicting with one doomsday prediction. By no means I ask anyone to be very bullish based on this!)

WildBear

I think interest rate reduction is imminent, according to CB data, trade gap narrowed to 17 month low, imports reduced dramatically, BoP to be cushioned by foreign remittance and tourism earning and also bond issues. Trading volumes of billions means there is not only retailers but high profile people as well as institutions,in the play. I think PBJ and Cabba hinted some facts during their speaches. We ll get some announcements in next few months and in budget speach. We know in Sri Lanka who gets the critical news first.We know Jaferjees are big time investors in CSE, but I couldn't remember he or his brokering firm advised the retailers in 2011 February that the CSE is extremely overvalued with PE more than 25 and it s time to exit. However now he is coming forward and telling do not buy now but wait till next year, I smell a fish here.
Whatever happens it's good to make informed decisions.

anu

anu

WildBear wrote:I think interest rate reduction is imminent, according to CB data, trade gap narrowed to 17 month low, imports reduced dramatically, BoP to be cushioned by foreign remittance and tourism earning and also bond issues. Trading volumes of billions means there is not only retailers but high profile people as well as institutions,in the play. I think PBJ and Cabba hinted some facts during their speaches. We ll get some announcements in next few months and in budget speach. We know in Sri Lanka who gets the critical news first.We know Jaferjees are big time investors in CSE, but I couldn't remember he or his brokering firm advised the retailers in 2011 February that the CSE is extremely overvalued with PE more than 25 and it s time to exit. However now he is coming forward and telling do not buy now but wait till next year, I smell a fish here.

Exactly..! The fish stinks so much, so that many can notice...!

TortoizePlus

TortoizePlus

anu wrote:
WildBear wrote:I think interest rate reduction is imminent, according to CB data, trade gap narrowed to 17 month low, imports reduced dramatically, BoP to be cushioned by foreign remittance and tourism earning and also bond issues. Trading volumes of billions means there is not only retailers but high profile people as well as institutions,in the play. I think PBJ and Cabba hinted some facts during their speaches. We ll get some announcements in next few months and in budget speach. We know in Sri Lanka who gets the critical news first.We know Jaferjees are big time investors in CSE, but I couldn't remember he or his brokering firm advised the retailers in 2011 February that the CSE is extremely overvalued with PE more than 25 and it s time to exit. However now he is coming forward and telling do not buy now but wait till next year, I smell a fish here.

Look at this article, he has advised in 2010-Aug to take the profit and go. I saw this at that time but never believe him

http://www.news360.lk/interviews/cse-on-a-bubble-will-fallout-badly-when-the-bubble-bursts-says-top-analyst

Slstock

Slstock

TortoizePlus wrote:
anu wrote:

Look at this article, he has advised in 2010-Aug to take the profit and go. I saw this at that time but never believe him

http://www.news360.lk/interviews/cse-on-a-bubble-will-fallout-badly-when-the-bubble-bursts-says-top-analyst

From that I understand he is a good analyst.

But did you notice when he sadi this. It was august 2010, when ASI was aroudn 5000. Remember the biggest boom was yet to come in Sept 2010 and then few 2011. So selling out when ASI was at 5000 would have been a massive opportunity loss.

Bottom line no one can predict exaclty all the time. CSE is a small market that sudden things ( good or bad) can happen. So it is best not to be biased too much to one specific opinion and play as it goes. This is mainly true to short term palyers with less holding power and patience.

TortoizePlus

TortoizePlus

slstock wrote:
TortoizePlus wrote:
anu wrote:

But did you notice when he sadi this. It was august 2010, when ASI was aroudn 5000. Remember the biggest boom was yet to come in Sept 2010 and then few 2011. So selling out when ASI was at 5000 would have been a massive opportunity loss.

Bottom line no one can predict exaclty all the time. CSE is a small market that sudden things ( good or bad) can happen. So it is best not to be biased too much to one specific opinion and play as it goes. This is mainly true to short term palyers with less holding power and patience.

Agreed. I wanted to tell you that we cannot easily discard people like Jefa...
Some people putting comments here thinks they are too smart..
Note: I don't have any personal connection with Jefa..

WildBear

@Tortoiz plus, as slstock pointed, in 2010 also he gave a wrong advice, in 2 years timewe can see whether he is true or not, too early to comment about his current advice

Whitebull

TortoizePlus wrote:
slstock wrote:
TortoizePlus wrote:
anu wrote:

Anyone even with some sort of experience can say what has said in 2010.As slstock has pointed out it would have been a massive opportunity loss if some one got exit at that time.If he pointed out the real top then I would say he is a good analyst.I can remember few of our members pointed out that---not exactly but with a more precision than Jefa....

Even in this bear market I can remember one member said to collect slowly when market was around 5000(as far as I can remember) and most importantantly he told it with adequate time to collect.If some one has followed his advice now he/she has to be very happy.

Stefan

Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

Since the last time he predicted the market would drop when it was at 5000 and it then went upto 7800, now since market is close to 6000, it may go up to 8800.

WildBear

@whitebull, that what I wanted to say, in adition to above Jaferjee didn't tell us to collect undervalued shares when some solid stocks stocks ere trading at unbelievably low levels when QSI was 4700 few months back. But our forum embers like slstock,chinwi, smallville etc gave more rational views. I ve been investing in CSE for more than 8 years, but broker firms rarely advice the clients to sell stocks because they are overvalued. Most if the time they advice to buy, it is obvious that there is a huge conflict of interest, as brokers business is to get brokerage fee by stock trading and also their related companies invest in stocks at the same market.
Thats what I said , better to make your well informed decisions rather than entirely depend on broker recomnendation.

WIRU

Stock Trader

This is the final page of JB Securities research report issued to their customers in JULY 2012.

Concluding remarks

Bull markets are 7 year cycles (1993-4, 2002-3 and 2009-11) – next one is not due anytime soon. Thus there will be no rising tide to lift ALL boats.

Equity market is in its consolidation phase – market will go sideways for the remainder of this year. Nevertheless, a sideways market offers many opportunities to invest in undervalued securities as the potential for mispricing is larger.

The low free float large market cap stocks in the indices are masking the true extent of the fall in the market – many stocks have fallen 50-60% from their peak.

Nominal GDP growth will be around 13-14% in the medium term – large firm revenues will grow at a CAGR of around 16-17%, EBITDA will grow 18-19%.

Free float is further constrained since there will be reluctance to sell at a loss especially amongst state controlled institutions.

Value is returning to the market – some stocks are now trading below their intrinsic values.

Trying to time the market is futile – jumping on the band wagon when it’s moving is a losing proposition.

Equity ownership is low – an ageing population will necessitate greater allocation to equities to meet retirement needs.

Build a diversified portfolio by accumulating equities in stages – 10%:20%:30%:40%

smallville

smallville

Wiru,

I'm not saying the facts you have listed down (as given by JB) are non-achievable, but most of these are "Will be, can be" kinda statements..

We should hence respect these with due attention given to the most possibilities now a days..

I used to read broker researches, some have given dream targets for some shares based on many criteria without considering the credit issues that could screw the investors (like in 20122 bear phase) and market support/ resistance levels.. Thes are not there for fun as they've been derived from the psychological factors of human thinking.

WildBear

There are wrong facts in above JB report, we had the longest bull run in recent history, from 2002 to 2008, if you check a chart of ASI, MPI or any other large cap stock like JKH or DIST etc you will see the pattern,
On the other hand there are no such predictable 7 year bear bull cycles like whether patterns, all thos patterns were driven by specific reasons. Eg, late 90s to 2002 there was economical and political uncertinity in SL, we can remember Central Bank and the. Air port was bombed buy the terrorists and in 2001 economy turned to be negative growth, the same pattern was evidenced in CSE, then 2002, cease fire agreement, peace process, favourable economic policy of UNP triggered a bull period, the post pstunami construction boom, continued peace process, flooding of NGOs with good. GDP growth propelled the CSE to new hights till 2007.
Then after 2007, North East war escalated, Bomb blasts in Colombo, resulted in slow down of economic activity , low GDP, massive inflation coupled with global economic downturn have beaten the market heavily. Then after 2009 I do not have to repeat what happened. Later 2011, market had a massive correction coupled with foreign fund outflow from CSE(Also from other global emerging markets), high interest rates, credit bubble etc created a bear.
So all these previous petterns of CSE is driven by specific economic and political factors , but not just periodic patterns such as weather, rain season etc.

Vptilak

TortoizePlus wrote:
slstock wrote:
TortoizePlus wrote:
anu wrote:

In August 2010 he has badly misdirected investors. Investors sold their PF at ASI around 5000 . Totaly dispointed. Pl look at following figures;

02.Aug. 2010 ASI 5182
31.Aug. 2010 ASI 5658
30 Sep. 2010 ASI 6997
29 Oct. 2010 ASI 6678
30 Nov. 2010 ASI 6434
31 Dec. 2010 ASI 6635
31 Jan. 2011 ASI 7174
28 Feb. 2011 ASI 7797

So how can we trust their preditions.

player

player

terrible guy,better luck next time jefree Twisted Evil

@slstock-respect your experience,im reading your posts whenever look in to forum Smile

Sidath

Sidath

he is a very theory driven man. Does not look at the sentiment of the market

Last edited by Sidath on Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : mistake)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum