FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Submit PostSubmit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

CHRONICLE™ NEWS PRODUCTS

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Views & Reviews, Analysis, Evaluations, Discussions, Gossip and Hot Tips relating to Sri Lankan companies listed on the Colombo Stock Exchange (CSE)
Contribute

DAILY CHRONICLE™

Latest news and articles published in Newspapers, Websites, Blogs and other online news sites relating to business and investments in Sri Lanka
Contribute

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE™

This is a section that provide news, views, analysis, predications relating to Political and Socio-Economic factors and how such activities affect the Stock Market and other economic activity of the Country.

Contribute

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

This is an exclusive section for Expert Articles which will help member to share knowledge through comments and responses of the members. All members are allowed to reply and make comments to these articles.

Contribute

Submit Post

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

Youtube Videos and other visual presentations relating Stock market and other investment advise submitted by members or other contributors.

Contribute

Submit Post

කොළඔ කොටස් වෙළඳපොළේ වංශකථාව
කොළඔ කොටස් වෙළඳපොළේ ලැයිස්තුගත සමාගම් කොටස් ගැන තොරතුරු¸විශ්ලේෂණ¸සාකච්ඡා¸ කටකතා¸රසකතා යන සියල්ල අපේම සිංහලෙන් කතා කළ හැකි ‘කතා මණ්ඩපය’

Contribute

Twitter Feeds
POPULAR COMPANIES
A

ABANS ELECTRICALS PLC

ACCESS ENGINEERING PLC Hot

ACL CABLES PLC

ACL PLASTICS PLC

ACME PRINTING & PACKAGING PLC

AGSTAR PLC

AITKEN SPENCE HOTEL HOLDINGS PLC

AITKEN SPENCE PLC

ANILANA HOTELS AND PROPERTIES PLC

ARPICO INSURANCE PLC

ASIA ASSET FINANCE PLC

ASIA CAPITAL PLC

B

BAIRAHA FARMS PLC

BALANGODA PLANTATIONS PLC

BIMPUTH FINANCE PLC

BLUE DIAMONDS JEWELLERY WORLDWIDE PLC

B P P L HOLDINGS PLC

BROWNS BEACH HOTELS PLC

BROWNS INVESTMENTS PLC

C

CARGO BOAT DEVELOPMENT COMPANY PLC

CENTRAL INDUSTRIES PLC

CEYLON COLD STORES PLC

CEYLON GRAIN ELEVATORS PLC Hot

CEYLON TEA BROKERS PLC

CEYLON TOBACCO COMPANY PLC

CHEVRON LUBRICANTS LANKA PLC

COLOMBO FORT LAND & BUILDING PLC

COMMERCIAL BANK OF CEYLON PLC

CITRUS LEISURE PLC Hot

COMMERCIAL CREDIT AND FINANCE PLC

D

DANKOTUWA PORCELAIN PLC

DFCC BANK PLC

DIALOG AXIATA PLC

DIALOG FINANCE PLC

DIPPED PRODUCTS PLC

DISTILLERIES COMPANY OF SRI LANKA PLC

DUNAMIS CAPITAL PLC

E

EAST WEST PROPERTIES PLC Hot

EASTERN MERCHANTS PLC

EXPOLANKA HOLDINGS PLC

E-CHANNELLING PLC

F

FIRST CAPITAL HOLDINGS PLC

G

GALADARI HOTELS (LANKA) PLC

GUARDIAN CAPITAL PARTNERS PLC

H

HATTON NATIONAL BANK PLC

HAYLEYS PLC

HAYLEYS FABRIC PLC

HAYLEYS FIBRE PLC Hot

HEMAS HOLDINGS PLC

HIKKADUWA BEACH RESORT PLC

HNB ASSURANCE PLC

HVA FOODS PLC

J

JANASHAKTHI INSURANCE COMPANY PLC

JOHN KEELLS HOLDINGS PLC Hot

JOHN KEELLS HOTELS PLC

L

LANKA ASHOK LEYLAND PLC

LANKA IOC PLC

LANKEM CEYLON PLC

LANKEM DEVELOPMENTS PLC

LAUGFS GAS PLC

LAUGFS POWER LIMITED

LOLC FINANCE PLC

LOLC HOLDINGS PLC

LUCKY LANKA MILK PROCESSING COMPANY PLC

M

MELSTACORP PLC

N

NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT BANK PLC

NATION LANKA FINANCE PLC

NESTLE LANKA PLC

O

ORIENT FINANCE PLC

OVERSEAS REALTY (CEYLON) PLC

P

PANASIAN POWER PLC

PEOPLE'S LEASING & FINANCE PLC

PIRAMAL GLASS CEYLON PLC

PRIME FINANCE PLC

R

RAIGAM WAYAMBA SALTERNS PLC

RENUKA AGRI FOODS PLC

RENUKA CAPITAL PLC

RENUKA HOLDINGS PLC

RICHARD PIERIS AND COMPANY PLC

RICHARD PIERIS EXPORTS PLC Hot

ROYAL CERAMICS PLC

S

SAMPATH BANK PLC

SEYLAN BANK PLC

SIERRA CABLES PLC

SINGHE HOSPITALS PLC Hot

SMB LEASING PLC

SOFTLOGIC HOLDINGS PLC

SOFTLOGIC LIFE INSURANCE PLC

SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC

SWISSTEK (CEYLON) PLC Hot

T

TEEJAY LANKA PLC

TESS AGRO PLC

THREE ACRE FARMS PLC

TOKYO CEMENT COMPANY (LANKA) PLC Hot

U

UNION BANK OF COLOMBO PLC

V

VALLIBEL FINANCE PLC

VALLIBEL ONE PLC Hot

VALLIBEL POWER ERATHNA PLC

W

WASKADUWA BEACH RESORT PLC

You are not connected. Please login or register

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ » FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ » No Difference in Dr K's and Dr G's effect on SL Stock Market

No Difference in Dr K's and Dr G's effect on SL Stock Market

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

D.G.Dayaratne

Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
Dr K tried to control market and always against manipulates and crooks

What is Dr G's role at present?

Now credibility of stock market gone to ......

SEC Should be managed by independent professionals

Slstock

Slstock
Director - Equity Analytics
@D.G.Dayaratne wrote:
SEC Should be managed by independent professionals

I agree.

sureshot

sureshot
Vice President - Equity Analytics
yes all Dr are same .
I like Mr.Carder than these two.
he was the best Very Happy

Slstock

Slstock
@sureshot wrote:yes all Dr are same .
I like Mr.Carder than these two.
he was the best Very Happy

Well Mr Cader was the DG. Current one is also a Dr.
Dr TK and NG were/are SEC Chairmans.

Dr or no doctor, being practical ,fair while being ethical is the key.

Deva

Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
Some people predicted this at the time Dr K was being pressurized to leave.
Now all the gates are open, no barriers, no boarders.
The big fish are having a gala time. Up or down as they wish.

Slstock

Slstock
@Deva wrote:Some people predicted this at the time Dr K was being pressurized to leave.
Now all the gates are open, no barriers, no boarders.
The big fish are having a gala time. Up or down as they wish.

6 month ban to sell after buying which was lifted for Directors and Brokers was not a good move at all. This can be manipulated both ways up or down.

Kithsiri

Kithsiri
Is it the Chief's fault or lack of investor confidence ? Rolling Eyes

Kithsiri

Kithsiri
@slstock wrote:6 month ban to sell after buying which was lifted for Directors and Brokers was not a good move at all. This can be manipulated both ways up or down.
Is it fair to deny anybody his rights?
Aren't there any other mechanisms to detect such manipulations & take necessary actions if found guilty?
Enlighten us please !

Slstock

Slstock
Well in some other countries Directors buying share of their own company has more regulations. As a director you are more socially and ethically responsible when dealing with company shares. they cannot pump, dump according to their whim.

We saw how broker houses bought companies with very little value and helped to push them up to sky high. Now what is the gurantee this will not happen again to inflate and kill the market when a true bull run starts. ( when ever) . We cannot let what happened in 2010 to 2011 happen again

If SEC wants to allow unhibited freedom to both they will need to monitor their direct dealing atleast to detect manipulation in unethical ways ( within a reasonable range) . I am sure Directors/brokers can find ways to escape if they want to. But there should be Some protection. Am not sure what protection there is now. I am sure some detection systems against a pre determined list of director/broker account ( of companies that fall into some list , ie like default broad) can be installed without too much hassle. This list can be determiend by CSE/SEC to make sure certain companies which does have little intrinsic value carry nigger weightage. ( maybe based on NAV, PE and cash flow etc )

We recently saw how china is trying to encourage loss making/badly managed companies to improve within a period or delist.

I am surprised to see there are bare lands and companeis that were in loss for many years still trading at CSE. Some of these were trading in Rs 150-200s with negative assets at one time.

Freedom should be there but within a guidline. Too much can be abused. We have instances of member in this forum itself.

@Kithsiri wrote:
@slstock wrote:6 month ban to sell after buying which was lifted for Directors and Brokers was not a good move at all. This can be manipulated both ways up or down.
Is it fair to deny anybody his rights?
Aren't there any other mechanisms to detect such manipulations & take necessary actions if found guilty?
Enlighten us please !

Kithsiri

Kithsiri
Yes, I know it is easier said than done.
I can recall reading Air bus parent company EDS chief dumping his shares prior to announcement of the delay on their super jumbo A380 and price taking a beating after the announcement.
I am sure he was later exonerated and was laughing all the way to the bank.
As a small time investor, we should be weary of those sudden pick ups and drops and not to follow blindly.
That is why I am here as my speciality is something else.
Thanks.

econ

econ
Global Moderator
It seems Godahewa factor is just another failure.

Kithsiri

Kithsiri
@econ wrote:It seems Godahewa factor is just another failure.
Like every other factors hitherto people have cooked up. Very Happy

hariesha

First I expect moderators/admins will accept and respect my right to express a different opinion. I am saying this as I saw an ugly encounter during the weekend, which I strongly believe shouldn't have happened in a public forum.

With regards to the current topic, I think forum is going or dragging on the wrong direction again. This was the case just before the last rally also and so many missed the opportunity as most adopted wait and see approach, and then entered at the peak resulting lot of posts depicting uneasiness and sorrowful fate within two days of down trend.

This is how I feel what is happening right now in the market. Simply it’s a break after a flash rally. Most have forgotten that we had a two month rally. This correction is only for two weeks now. In any market this is the situation whether it is equity or something else.

I think following are the reasons for this lukewarm approach from investors:

1. In a rally, naturally most tend to book profits. If this money didn’t re-
invest or fresh capital didn’t flow market will go for a correction. If
sufficient fresh capital came in then the rally will take on to the next
level, as profit takers also have to re-invest as they don’t want to
become spectators.

2. Changes that took place in local political environment especially the
matters related to judiciary, fortunately most of which are much cooled
off now.

3. Big guys/funds are in a wait and see approach now. Why?

a. 2nd quarter results are around the corner.

b. National Budget is only two weeks away.

c. Monetary board announcement is due tomorrow, many believe they
will not change the policy measures ahead of the National Budget
(Before reducing interest rates, safety procedures should be
included in the budget, otherwise importers will start to import all
wanted and unwanted things as in the previous occasion)

d. UN HR sessions in Geneva, which will discuss country progress in HR
arena. (This is a regular evaluation taking place in every three years,
so there’s not much threat like in last year)

e. There can be some more, which others can point out.

So should we leave the market?

If you are in the correct approach, this is the opportunity period. Adjust your portfolios and accumulate shares that will do better in the coming quarters.

Always remember, “Markets are reacting before the news!” So if interest rates are changing, market will start moving much in advance.

There was some criticism towards the regulator. I think from the three regulatory regimes in recent past, current is the most acceptable. Dr. NG didn’t allow all what brokers asked for. Even the credit matter, he relaxed with lot of safeguards.

About the removing of controls on directors and related party transactions, what he does was removing the interim measures imposed because of a pending inquiry on NSB/TFC deal. It cannot be continued as it’s denying the right to do legitimate transactions to a certain section of the market. Here directors are not directors of companies that are listed in CSE as some have expressed in the topic, but the directors of stock broker companies.

D.G.Dayaratne

Why our friends did not try apply there theories during Dr K's time.?

There is a famous Sinhala saying
"KANNAda HITHUNAMA KABARAGOYATH THAGOYA"

PL do not apply" THALAGOY "Theory to explain present Unfortunate situation

Slstock

Slstock
Hariesha,

Am not sure what you are trying to say below? Different opinions always are/has been welcome to the forum. You should it that by now. It is the way you present it with proper argument that matters. Nobody here has a right to insult , criticize others specially without showing direct reasoning. We need to follow forum rules and etiquette within our freedom to express whatever we what. I see people here read bit and pieces and do not try to understand that reasosn and causes for these so called "unfortunate" incidents. Would you like to be the one on a receiving end when you know that is unjustifiable?

Regarding your post below

a) we need to understand that lot of people have short term mind sets and like quick profit. When they see RED they panic and all the hatred can come out with first understanding it is you who bought and you who sold. it is your money. These Red days are the times to analyse , rotate if necessary and realign your portfolios. Even if yo uare long term we do not need to be married to a company if we see they are not doing stuff to increase shareholder wealth. Short term players like to see optimum profit within short period. So they wi

b) Regardign SEC . Atleast my comment does not apply to Dr NG. or any previous person directly. IT applies to actions taken and whoever that runs SEC . It should be run impartially and fairly for all parties. That the goal. Anyway attributing this downfall and blaming on SEC is low. There are market cycles influenced or not in short term will take its natural path in any case.

@hariesha wrote:First I expect moderators/admins will accept and respect my right to express a different opinion. I am saying this as I saw an ugly encounter during the weekend, which I strongly believe shouldn't have happened in a public forum.

With regards to the current topic, I think forum is going or dragging on the wrong direction again. This was the case just before the last rally also and so many missed the opportunity as most adopted wait and see approach, and then entered at the peak resulting lot of posts depicting uneasiness and sorrowful fate within two days of down trend.

This is how I feel what is happening right now in the market. Simply it’s a break after a flash rally. Most have forgotten that we had a two month rally. This correction is only for two weeks now. In any market this is the situation whether it is equity or something else.

I think following are the reasons for this lukewarm approach from investors:

1. In a rally, naturally most tend to book profits. If this money didn’t re-
invest or fresh capital didn’t flow market will go for a correction. If
sufficient fresh capital came in then the rally will take on to the next
level, as profit takers also have to re-invest as they don’t want to
become spectators.

2. Changes that took place in local political environment especially the
matters related to judiciary, fortunately most of which are much cooled
off now.

3. Big guys/funds are in a wait and see approach now. Why?

a. 2nd quarter results are around the corner.

b. National Budget is only two weeks away.

c. Monetary board announcement is due tomorrow, many believe they
will not change the policy measures ahead of the National Budget
(Before reducing interest rates, safety procedures should be
included in the budget, otherwise importers will start to import all
wanted and unwanted things as in the previous occasion)

d. UN HR sessions in Geneva, which will discuss country progress in HR
arena. (This is a regular evaluation taking place in every three years,
so there’s not much threat like in last year)

e. There can be some more, which others can point out.

So should we leave the market?

If you are in the correct approach, this is the opportunity period. Adjust your portfolios and accumulate shares that will do better in the coming quarters.

Always remember, “Markets are reacting before the news!” So if interest rates are changing, market will start moving much in advance.

There was some criticism towards the regulator. I think from the three regulatory regimes in recent past, current is the most acceptable. Dr. NG didn’t allow all what brokers asked for. Even the credit matter, he relaxed with lot of safeguards.

About the removing of controls on directors and related party transactions, what he does was removing the interim measures imposed because of a pending inquiry on NSB/TFC deal. It cannot be continued as it’s denying the right to do legitimate transactions to a certain section of the market. Here directors are not directors of companies that are listed in CSE as some have expressed in the topic, but the directors of stock broker companies.

Last edited by slstock on Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total

D.G.Dayaratne

I agree what you say about the stock market in general

But why these theories were not applied during Dr K's TIME

It shows there is a personal problem here

My personal opinion is present management of bias towards certain group
or click.
They should prove their professionalism by action NOT BY WORDS

hariesha

@D.G.Dayaratne wrote:I agree what you say about the stock market in general

But why these theories were not applied during Dr K's TIME

It shows there is a personal problem here

My personal opinion is present management of bias towards certain group
or click.
They should prove their professionalism by action NOT BY WORDS

My approach towards market is a consistent policy. whether it's Dr.K or Dr. G. If you analysed my past posts you can see, it was a consistent policy regarding investing in CSE, and promoting CSE investments for accumulating wealth.

I am very critical on most of the steps taken by previous SEC regimes as they were clearly destroying the market. If you look back now with a clear view you can understand clearly the adverse impact of those steps. Lot of small/medium sized investors were wiped out. Actually I thought Dr. K will have a balanced approach to the market (On the days he was appointed I was positive, specially when he announced his media policy. But later he deviated and grossly violated his own policy guidelines).

With regards to DR. G I am possitive as of now. The way he handled and approach things so far is relatively professional. Though lot of guys thought he will open the gates blindly, he didn't.

D.G.Dayaratne

In most of the games involved money conducted by various societies Inducing
village MARANADARA SAMITHI do not allow Comity members to participate
That is general accepted principles
Decision taken by SEC to control Brokers and staff is correct to create level playing field in the stock market

Why that decision changed ? To support whom ?

W

hariesha

@D.G.Dayaratne wrote:In most of the games involved money conducted by various societies Inducing
village MARANADARA SAMITHI do not allow Comity members to participate
That is general accepted principles
Decision taken by SEC to control Brokers and staff is correct to create level playing field in the stock market

Why that decision changed ? To support whom ?

W

The example taken by you is showing the level of understanding as it's not comparable. And even the logic is wrong as in such a "SAMITHI", if committee is not controlling financials, then who does? Outsiders?

Why it was changed I have clearly explained.

D.G.Dayaratne

Market will clearly explain you very soon

But i do not like that explanation Because all of us will suffer

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum