FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» LOLC FINANCE PLC (LOFC.N0000)
by Equity Win Today at 2:17 pm

» SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC (SLTL.N0000)
by sureshot Today at 7:42 am

» Construction Sector Boom with Purchasing manager's indices
by rukshan1234 Yesterday at 11:24 pm

» Asha Securities and Asia Securities Target AEL (Access Enginnering PLC )
by Anushka Perz Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:30 pm

» Sri Lanka: China EXIM Bank Debt Moratorium to End in April 2024
by DeepFreakingValue Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:22 pm

» Uncertainty over impending elections could risk Lanka’s economic recovery: ADB
by God Father Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:47 pm

» Sri Lanka's Debt Restructuring Hits Roadblock with Bondholders
by God Father Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:42 pm

» BROWN'S INVESTMENTS SHOULD CONSIDER BUYING BITCOIN
by ADVENTUS Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:48 pm

» Bank run leading the way in 2024
by bkasun Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:21 pm

» ACCESS ENGINEERING PLC (AEL) Will pass IPO Price of Rs 25 ?????
by blindhog Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:44 am

» ASPI: Undoing GR/Covid19!
by DeepFreakingValue Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:25 am

» Learn CSE Rules and Regulations with the help of AI Assistant
by ChatGPT Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:47 am

» Top AI tools in Sri Lanka
by ChatGPT Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:21 am

» HDFC- Best ever profit reported in 2023
by ApolloCSE Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:43 pm

» WAPO 200% UP
by LAMDA Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:41 pm

» KEGALLE PLANTATIONS PLC (KGAL.N0000)
by DeepFreakingValue Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:04 pm

» ARPICO INSURANCE PLC - Reports LKR 625mn loss for the FY2023
by DeepFreakingValue Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:58 pm

» EXTERMINATORS PLC (EXT.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:59 am

» ALLIANCE FINANCE COMPANY PLC (ALLI.N0000)
by SL-INVESTOR Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:29 am

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by Anushka Perz Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:50 pm

» PINS (People's Insurance) will be another UAL
by sakuni Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:22 pm

» A New Record Price for One Tonne of Cocoa on the International Market
by ResearchMan Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:03 pm

» Access Engineering awarded two more contract packages at Colombo Port
by samansilva Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:05 pm

» FMCG Sector LMF, MEL and DIST
by buwr Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:35 am

» CEYLON GUARDIAN INVESTMENT TRUST PLC (GUAR)
by soileconomy Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:00 am

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

Disclaimer
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

The information contained in this FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ have been submitted by third parties directly without any verification by us. The information available in this forum is not researched or purported to be complete description of the subject matter referred to herein. We do not under any circumstances whatsoever guarantee the accuracy and completeness information contained herein. FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not in any way be responsible or liable for loss or damage which any person or party may sustain or incur by relying on the contents of this report and acting directly or indirectly in any manner whatsoever. Trading or investing in stocks & commodities is a high risk activity. Any action you choose to take in the markets is totally your own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental damages or loss arising out of the use of this information. The information on this website is neither an offer to sell nor solicitation to buy any of the securities mentioned herein. The writers may or may not be trading in the securities mentioned.

Further the writers and users shall not induce or attempt to induce another person to trade in securities using this platform (a) by making or publishing any statement or by making any forecast that he knows to be misleading, false or deceptive; (b) by any dishonest concealment of material facts; (c) by the reckless making or publishing, dishonestly or otherwise of any statement or forecast that is misleading, false or deceptive; or (d) by recording or storing in, or by means of, any mechanical, electronic or other device, information that he knows to be false or misleading in a material particular. Any action writers and users take in respect of (a),(b),(c) and (d) above shall be their own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental violation of securities laws of any country, damages or loss arising out of the use of this information.

AI Live Chat

You are not connected. Please login or register

MPRH is it the most undervalued stock in plantation sector?

+17
Arena
Gaja
UKboy
K&M
Jiggysaurus
suja
NUINTH
Whitebull
prabath
rainmaker
smallville
Market.Player
The Alchemist
Slstock
Monster
Chinwi
Nigel.Machado
21 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Nigel.Machado

Manager - Equity Analytics

Metropolitan Resource Holdings

9 months earnings RS 11.52

3 months earnings RS 6.19

Market Price 23.40

http://www.cse.lk/cmt/upload_report_file/724_1360580346484.pdf

Chinwi

Chinwi
Associate Director - Equity Analytics

@Nigel.Machado,

1). Did you notice any other interesting formation in trading price of MPRH with its main sub BOPL ?

67 % of Bogawanthalawa is under Metro holding.

2). We are getting good results from most of tea plantations.
In this situation nothing but FLCH is coming to my mind . If they have done same ......

Nigel.Machado

Chinwi wrote:@Nigel.Machado,

1). Did you notice any other interesting formation in trading price of MPRH with its main sub BOPL ?

67 % of Bogawanthalawa is under Metro holding.

2). We are getting good results from most of tea plantations.
In this situation nothing but FLCH is coming to my mind . If they have done same ......

FLCH is doing quite good volumes recently. yesterday it did about 1.5MN shares. today its about 700,000 upto now.

Re-guarding MPRH its not that liquid, but Ameco Limited's holding of 457,030 shares were sold in the market betwee rs 16-22. Making the counter bit more liquid. I think thats why we see some sellers at this price range even after RS 11.52 earnings for 9 months.

Dr T senthilverl is holding 12MN shares of BOPL at around 22 as i can remember.

We may expect a plantation rally quite soon, even rubber has done quite well.(considering results of KGAL)

Monster

Monster
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics

I believe most of us know Nizamdeen Singh Laxana alias MarketWatch. He is having an ability to identify the market trend. I noticed he is in the top 20 share holder list in both MPRH and MASK.

Nigel.Machado

Monster wrote:I believe most of us know Nizamdeen Singh Laxana alias MarketWatch. He is having an ability to identify the market trend. I noticed he is in the top 20 share holder list in both MPRH and MASK.

yes even i noticed it. Nizamdeen Singh Laxana alias (MarketWatch) he is in the top 20 list of MPRH & MASK.

Twisted Evil

Slstock

Slstock
Director - Equity Analytics
Director - Equity Analytics

Yes, But he bought BOPL at a lot higher price ( closer to Rs 20 if I am not mistaken) . Then he averaged last year.

Then he seemed to have got into other plantations.

Also does he have inside info? ?He seems to know when to exit B FL again during last run in sept.

Agree that he seems to have good analytical skills .

Nigel.Machado wrote:
Monster wrote:I believe most of us know Nizamdeen Singh Laxana alias MarketWatch. He is having an ability to identify the market trend. I noticed he is in the top 20 share holder list in both MPRH and MASK.

yes even i noticed it. Nizamdeen Singh Laxana alias (MarketWatch) he is in the top 20 list of MPRH & MASK.

Twisted Evil

The Alchemist

Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

slstock wrote:Yes, But he bought BOPL at a lot higher price ( closer to Rs 20 if I am not mistaken) . Then he averaged last year.

Then he seemed to have got into other plantations.

Also does he have inside info? ?He seems to know when to exit B FL again during last run in sept.

Agree that he seems to have good analytical skills .

Nigel.Machado wrote:

Twisted Evil

I googled this guy ! He seems to specialize in research in the Tea Industry. lots of stuff re Kenyan tea market etc. he also has a Blog and a Facebook page in which you can follow him.

Chinwi

Chinwi

@ Monster, N.M & others,

I put some orders for F @ 2.50 . Did not get yet.
Somehow got some M.

This is the thing I wanted to tell :-

Profit reported
BOPL 274 million , MPRH 200 million excl. minority.
EPS BPOL=3.28 ,,EPS of MPRH is 11.57

67% of BOPL income is coming to MPRH.

EPS is low in BOPL because, Issued no of shares in BOPL is 83 million while MPRH is only 17 million.

MPRH owns 56.4million shares of BOPL

56.4 / 17 = 3.3 shares.
i.e. 1 MPRH is representing 3.3 BOPL

BOPL trading @ 13/- with PER of 4.0
13 x 3.3 = 43/-

Still you can buy 1 MPRH @ 23.50

(EPS, PER are approx. 9 months figures)

Nigel.Machado

Chinwi wrote:@ Monster, N.M & others,

Somehow got some M.

Profit reported

EPS is low in BOPL because, Issued no of shares in BOPL is 83 million while MPRH is only 17 million.

56.4 / 17 = 3.3 shares.

13 x 3.3 = 43/-

In a nutshell you mean MPRH is undervalued.

MPRH is trading at a pe of 1.2-1.4

Also Net asset value is 40.

Market.Player

Market.Player

see MPRH shareholder No.19..........Ha haaaaa

As at 31.12.2012
Name of the Share Holder No of Shares %
01.Mr.D J Ambani 4,213,860 24.41
02.Ocema Investment Company (Pvt) Ltd. 3,046,875 17.65
03.Kelmarsh Investments Ltd. 2,798,933 16.21
04.Sealbe Holding AG 1,457,415 08.44
05.Mr.Lars Tryggwe Christer Murman 1,313,951 07.61
06.Mr.Carl Machael Oscarsson Haglind 1,161,537 06.73
07.Metrocorp (Pvt) Ltd 827,935 04.80
08.Mr.R D Bandaranaike 726,046 04.21 09.J.B.Cocoshell (pvt) Ltd 145,000 00.84
10.Mr. A.V. Ravindra De Silva Jayathilake 65,507 00.38
11.Mr. Mohamed Nizam Singa Laxana 60,900 00.35
12.Sino Lanka (pvt) Ltd 46,500 00.27
13.Mr.Lars Soderbrrg 36,562 00.21
14.Mr. Selladurai Gobinath 33,000 00.19
15.Mr. Vithana Palitha Koralalage Anusha Palitha 31,683 00.18
16.First Capital Market Ltd./ Ventura Crystal (Pvt) Ltd. 30,200 00.17
17.Mr. Muruga Pillai Kesawamoorthy 30,000 00.17
18.Mr. Hasim Abdul Nasar 29,000 00.17
19.Mr. Rosairo Nigel Machado 29,000 00.17
20. Laxey Partners Ltd. 26,637 00.15
Directors Share Holding as at 31st December 2012
Name of the Director No of Shares %
Mr. D.

Nigel.Machado

Yes i am holding MPRH. Not only MPRH but most tea based plantations.

smallville

smallville

Duh.. 29,000 is a good amount Wink

But 60,900 is a better figure for some easy profit Wink

We should know that these are for long term investment, right?

Stupid me, I didnt see this MPRH first tongue

The thing with BOPL is, its nearly half the price MPRH... But the latter looks better since the qty is less too.

My concern abt FLCH is the rains we see these days, while these rains are good for hydro projects, it can have mixed results for Tea and bad for Rubber. And FLCH is over 90% plantations Wink
But 2.40 - 2.60 is a good price range.

What I know is the temperature, rainfall, humidity and soil pH affects the quality of tea too.
Some say the high rainfall level is expected to produce a bumper harvest also.

So can someone explain pls..

rainmaker

Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics

I wouldn't trust MW advice if I were you.....

But MRPH is a good company. I remember somewhere there was some allegation against the Ambani family who is holding the firm together....I can't remember but I guess you guys can research.

refer to this link:

http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t343-mr-mohamed-nizam-singa-laxana-who-is-he

Chinwi

Chinwi

Nigel.Machado wrote:Yes i am holding MPRH. Not only MPRH but most tea based plantations.

I think you are smart because I cannot see your name in BOPL list. As per my theory you are holding about 1 lak of BOPL through MPRH. :-)

Thank you for appearing in real name.

MPRH was in my radar for many months.
I collected it months ago in small quantities. For last 6 months it maintained its price around 23/-
Somehow, I was involved in over 50% of transactions done in the morning hrs. today to double my holding.
I do not think you sold it to me bet. 23/- - 23.50. Wink

IF weather and tea prices maintained in favorable levels I should join you in the list Laughing next time !

The Alchemist

Chinwi wrote:@ Monster, N.M & others,

Somehow got some M.

Profit reported

56.4 / 17 = 3.3 shares.

13 x 3.3 = 43/-

Excellent Analysis Chinwi ! Yes I too noticed this market anomaly (and arbitrage opportunity ?) in market pricing between BOPL and MPRH. In fact it was more pronounced in October 2010 when BOPL announced a 1 for 9 rights issue at Rs 10. At that time too, MPRH was trading at a very attractive discount to its value / holding of BOPL. Furthermore, MPRH (Company) has further Rs 20
assets / investments so NAV based on BOPL holding could be Rs 60-65 !
These market anomalies are nothing new to our market and a few still exists like price relationship between LMF & DIST, CFI / CIT & CFLB, RENU etc. Even FLCH had Rs 1.40 Cash Per Share and was trading at Rs 1.50. we have discussed these in the past on some other threads.

Re BOPL / MPRH, my observations and some areas to look into are as folls -

1. For the first time, MPRH has reported 3rd Q results. In previous years, they only give there results for the Sep and March quarter. is it something to do with listing in the Diri savi board ?

2. 50 % of bottom line Profit come from Other Income. Majority of this could be Gains from Fair Value of Biological Assets, which has no Cash Flow Impact. without notes in the interim statements, cannot say the quantum for sure. This maybe Timber stock like Madu. High NAV, Good EPS (due to gain in the biological assets valuation) but no cash !

3. No doubt, it has been a good quarter for Tea Plantations - Good Prices for Tea as strong correlation with world energy prices which are rising too. So MASK, BOPL, MADU, MAL, TPL etc will do well in the short term. what is the future impact of rising Electricity, Diesel and Petrol Prices in March / April ? I am hearing this will happen. Then the Plantation Wage Increments in June. One thing is for sure, as soon as this sector is doing well, they will have to pass on the benefits to the workers through higher wages. This is a political reality.

4. Having said that, most plantation stocks are trading at 3-4-5 times trailing earnings. one of these days their should be a plantation rally as its overdue now for 2-3 years in this cyclical industry.

prabath

Can we call this thread a promotion because people who hold this are doing the talking.

smallville

smallville

prabath wrote:Can we call this thread a promotion because people who hold this are doing the talking.

NO.. I see valid reasons given to justify these fundamentally good counters.

You cannot expect anyone not to talk about their shares, after all, its obvious if the members talk about shares they dont hold. However, as long as valid reasoning is provided, its not promotion. As you can see, they talk why they've bought these and what they expect in future with these.

Whitebull

prabath wrote:Can we call this thread a promotion because people who hold this are doing the talking.
Of course not.They are discussing it in rational manner with available informations.These types of discussions among real investers help new comers to learn.....

NUINTH

Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

Nice & valuble discussion with facts & figures. Love to see this type of analysis. Thanks everyone.

rainmaker

There is no real arbitrage opportunity as buying stock in MPRH doesn't give you control of BOPL shares - its like DFCC holding 20b worth of COMB shares

Chinwi

Chinwi

@ The Alchemist,

Thank you for highlighting the facts I missed.

Specially , "50 % of bottom line Profit come from Other Income. Majority of this could be Gains from Fair Value of Biological Assets"
Yes they do this every time. Hence we must know if EPS is 11/-, 5.50 is cash and rest is in trees and they will grow further. Smile

IMO, this practice is Ok if you get funds from core business to run the company until you harvest the trees.
( Not like in Pyramid Timber companies (world wide) which use money from new investors to pay salaries and pay back old investors )

I think, up and down in plantations, power sectors due to various factors (including what you mentioned) provide opportunities to long term investors to gain if they understand the nature of these sectors.

Note:
Somehow, I did not use outside funds or margin loans for my recent purchases. Just sold some nonperforming(s) to try new fortunes.

"Nonperforming" = The stocks I thought good but lost their potential due to changes in macro economic or any other factors in the country OR just bad hits.

22MPRH is it the most undervalued stock in plantation sector? Empty Speciality with MPRH, MASK & TPL! Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:34 pm

Nigel.Machado

We all know that Tea business is doing better than Rubber these days. All MPRH,MASK & TPL have mor than 90% exposure to Tea.

When we consider plantations their is always a seasonal Risk involved with it.

How to minimize this risk is to buy plantation stocks below their Net Assets Value. Unlike shares like BOPL all above given shares(MPRH,MASK,TPL) trade below their net assets value.

To be exact NAV of the shares are as follows

MPRH - 40
MASK - 31
TPL - 47

Also earnings of these shares are very healthy. For the last quater EPS of these shares were

MPRH - 6.19
MASK - 3.50
TPL - not released

Last quarter was quite an exception, projected sustainable minimum eps annually for above given shares could be

MPRH - 9
MASK - 5.5
TPL - 6

at a price earning ratio of 5 these shares may worth

MPRH - 9*5 = 45
MASK - 5.5*5 = 27.5
TPL - 6*5 = 30

So even at your target exit price these shares will have value as they trade at a p/e ratio of 5 & below their Net asset value. Anithing above will be a Bonus.

*Speciality of TPL is the high payout ratio(dividend of rs2.5 per share) as we all know TPL is a better managed company in the plantation sector, It can be given a high p/e as well.

For me these 3 are the best picks within tea based plantations. Share your view.

suja

I feel to be risk averse when selecting plantation stocks you need to consider crop diversity. Your above points are appreciated. Plantations such as Namu and kegall in this instance is very special Namunukula has palm as well and Kegall is the leading plantations on rubber. Plantation investments are always risky ad cyclical but always a very good investment in the long run as it generates cash on an ongoing basis. Note : I do not own shares of any of these but wanted to give inputs as I have invested in these stocks in the past.

smallville

smallville

Nigel.Machado -> Do u really need another thread for this?

This looks like promotion to me..

Jiggysaurus

Jiggysaurus

smallville wrote:Nigel.Machado -> Do u really need another thread for this?

This looks like promotion to me..

Promotors will need to promote and get out of plantations before the wage hike hits in the second half of the year.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum