FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post

Poll

Can there be another Covid-19 wave in Sri Lanka?

A riddle for the season - Page 2 Vote_lcap68%A riddle for the season - Page 2 Vote_rcap 68% [ 178 ]
A riddle for the season - Page 2 Vote_lcap18%A riddle for the season - Page 2 Vote_rcap 18% [ 47 ]
A riddle for the season - Page 2 Vote_lcap13%A riddle for the season - Page 2 Vote_rcap 13% [ 35 ]

Total Votes : 260

STOCK MARKET TRAINING
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

MARKET CHAT

CHRONICLE™ ANALYTICS

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

LATEST TWEETS

You are not connected. Please login or register

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ » FUN CHRONICLE™ » A riddle for the season

A riddle for the season

+18
StockGuru
MarketSIRA
pushpakumara
Soundchips
Analytic
wmdcf
Intrinsic
uditha9
Aamiable
Quibit
ShareShares
Antonym
TelesHope
Slstock
chamith
mark
innam
ControlFreak
22 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

21A riddle for the season - Page 2 Empty Re: A riddle for the season Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:29 am

pushpakumara

Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
@ControlFreak wrote:In lieu of the season and with the objective of making this forum a place you would want to hang around to be enriched, educated, entertained and energized we thought of having this annual competition.
It’s very simple. You are required to read the following clues and identify the name of the PLC that is on the CSE. It is not complicated. If you have been a frequent visitor to this forum and kept up to date on what was posted recently you can definitely win the prize.

A sum of LKR. 5000/= is offered as the prize for the first correct answer.

Rules:
1. Only one entry per member
2. There is only one prize on offer
3. Competition begins 12th April 2011 and ends on 17th @ 24:00 hrs.(Sri Lanka Time)
4. Any discussion on the answers on this forum would disqualify a participant/s.
5. The winner will be announced on 18th April 2011 and only the winner is required to respond.
6. Payment will be made by bank transfer to the winner or nominated Payee bank account
7. These details have to be forwarded to the following email address: maxidermy@gmail.com (There is a facility in this forum to send private messages and it is not visible to other members)
8. Bank A/C Details required: Full name, Bank Name, Bank A/C Number, Branch Name, Branch Code.
9. This is a voluntary / private competition and Srilankaequity.com or its members or administration is not liable if there are disputes or misunderstandings regarding the competition.
10. The final decision of the winner rests entirely with the forum member who operates under the name “controlfreak”.

Clues to the riddle

It is an ancient monument
The children love it
It does not serve the bottom of the pyramid
Petite girls approach you from the blues
The old fox’s name is just the opposite
Its consumers are squeezed both ways
It has spread its tentacles far and wide
You always ask for directions
It also sounds terribly fishy

What is the name of this company?

Sigriya Village

22A riddle for the season - Page 2 Empty riddle for the seaso Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:33 am

pushpakumara

Sigiriya village

23A riddle for the season - Page 2 Empty Re: A riddle for the season Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:46 pm

MarketSIRA

Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic
My Answer is

Blue Diamonds Jewellery PLC (BLUE)

24A riddle for the season - Page 2 Empty Re: A riddle for the season Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:10 pm

StockGuru

Sinhaputhra Finance PLC (SFL)

25A riddle for the season - Page 2 Empty Re: A riddle for the season Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:18 pm

SunilNayaka

Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic
Dear ControlFreak

SIGIRIYA VILLAGE HOTELS PLC (SIGV) is my answer.

Reason: Because.

It is an ancient monument-SIGIRYA is an ancient monument
The children love it-They love it
It does not serve the bottom of the pyramid-LION does not represent the bottom of the pyramid in food chain
Petite girls approach you from the blues-it is about the village-
The old fox’s name is just the opposite
Its consumers are squeezed both ways
It has spread its tentacles far and wide
You always ask for directions
It also sounds terribly fishy

26A riddle for the season - Page 2 Empty Re: A riddle for the season Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:04 am

Kaush

Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic
NESTLE

27A riddle for the season - Page 2 Empty Answer to the Riddle Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:19 pm

ControlFreak

Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic
ANSWERS to the riddle

It is an ancient monument – Building in Fort
The children love it – Pushing those shopping carts around & slowly slipping what they want into the cart
It does not serve the bottom of the pyramid - Middle, Upper middle and super wealthy patronize this place
Petite girls approach you from the blues – Promotion Team
The old fox’s name is just the opposite - Chairman Mr.Young
Its consumers are squeezed both ways – Aha! Squeezing the customers /squeezing the seller of goods.
It has spread its tentacles far and wide – Chain with largest Nbr. Of outlets operated
You always ask for directions – The merchandisers keep moving the shelves to force the customers to visit other areas.
It also sounds terribly fishy – The name ends with the fishes GILL.

What is the name of this company? - CARGILLS

The fortunate winner is : Antonym
The announcement was to be made on monday. However, since the first correct entry has already come in and there are no more prizes it is announced today. This riddle contest will be a regular feature on this forum. Await the next contest.

By the way, any member who wishes can sponsor the 2nd / 3rd price in the future. They can directly settle the winners.

28A riddle for the season - Page 2 Empty Re: A riddle for the season Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:32 pm

StocksWatch

Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics
Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics
And...that was amazing ControlFreak.

Congratulations...Antonym! You are the best!!!

29A riddle for the season - Page 2 Empty Re: A riddle for the season Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:01 pm

Antonym

Antonym
Vice President - Equity Analytics
Thanks, CF - Excellent clues, I must say!

I have already received the prize money (+ Rep to you for your promptness) and would like to contribute Rs 2,500 for the next contest, whenever you decide to conduct it.

30A riddle for the season - Page 2 Empty Re: A riddle for the season Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:31 pm

Quibit

Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
Congratulations the winner!!! Control Freak thank you very much for the initiative taken and contribution of the prize money.

To me there were two close answers. cargills n blue diamonds. But I think cargills undoubtedly fit the criteria better. I have given below the reason why I thought Blue Diamonds was close.

It does not serve the bottom of the pyramid - diamond r expensive
Petite girls approach you from the blues - sure you will have the best attention.
The old fox’s name is just the opposite - Blue Diamond (BD) opposite DB.. DB wijetunga the old fox
Its consumers are squeezed both ways – diamond ring squeeze your finger and the pocket, likewise a diamond necklace.
You always ask for directions – many members have been asking for the direction of the blue diamonds share prices.
It also sounds terribly fishy – blue diamond business was very fishy n we all remeber the history.. [left]

31A riddle for the season - Page 2 Empty Re: A riddle for the season Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:27 pm

Slstock

Slstock
Director - Equity Analytics
Director - Equity Analytics
Congratulation Antonym and thanks for the fun Control Freak.

The reason I guessed MADu is below. But Cargills seems to be a better fit according to your presenation of facts.

It is an ancient monument : MADU church is supposed to be over 400 years old if I am not mistaken?
The children love it : MADU ( or madhu) is "either pure honey or a mix of honey and water"
The old fox’s name is just the opposite : HARRY J company. He is male . MADU is female name. So I thought opposite.
Its consumers are squeezed both ways : Tea drinkers have to pay the price. While HARRY J charges management fees to MADU.
Petite girls approach you from the blues : MADU ( MADHU) is a Girls name.
It has spread its tentacles far and wide : Its Tea plantation. Products reaching the world
You always ask for directions : Have to ask direction to distant MADU church
It also sounds terribly fishy : MADU is fish kind ( Madu malu ).

32A riddle for the season - Page 2 Empty Re: A riddle for the season Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:29 pm

ControlFreak

Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic
@Quibit wrote:
To me there were two close answers. cargills n blue diamonds. But I think cargills undoubtedly fit the criteria better. I have given below the reason why I thought Blue Diamonds was close.

Quibit/ SLstock,

Your thinking was quite good. Thats close.
May be you both will get the jackpot next time.

Quibit, Imagine you won a diamond!
and Slstock, consider your wishes / prayr answered at Madhu.

Just joking!
Have a nice evening, its not that late!

33A riddle for the season - Page 2 Empty Re: A riddle for the season Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:11 am

SunilNayaka

Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic
@ControlFreak wrote:ANSWERS to the riddle

It is an ancient monument – Building in Fort
The children love it – Pushing those shopping carts around & slowly slipping what they want into the cart
It does not serve the bottom of the pyramid - Middle, Upper middle and super wealthy patronize this place
Petite girls approach you from the blues – Promotion Team
Its consumers are squeezed both ways – Aha! Squeezing the customers /squeezing the seller of goods.
It has spread its tentacles far and wide – Chain with largest Nbr. Of outlets operated
You always ask for directions – The merchandisers keep moving the shelves to force the customers to visit other areas.
It also sounds terribly fishy – The name ends with the fishes GILL.

What is the name of this company? - CARGILLS

The fortunate winner is : Antonym
The announcement was to be made on monday. However, since the first correct entry has already come in and there are no more prizes it is announced today. This riddle contest will be a regular feature on this forum. Await the next contest.

By the way, any member who wishes can sponsor the 2nd / 3rd price in the future. They can directly settle the winners.

Dear Control Freak!

You have made a mistake in the Riddle!

Have a look next time be precise and perfect when you post Riddles..Just wanted to let you know..

Look below.. in your lines...

Mr. Young is not the Chairman of Cargills Ceylon PLC (CARGILLS)...Chairman of CARGILLS is Mr. Ranjith Page...Mr.Stuart young is not even in the board of Cargills...Stuart Young was only appointed as the Chairman of Millers Brewery Ceylon (which is a Cargills subsidiary) after Cargills acquired Three Coins Beer...

Good Riddle anyway.. Very Happy

34A riddle for the season - Page 2 Empty Re: A riddle for the season Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:08 pm

TelesHope

TelesHope
Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic
@TelesHope wrote:Taj

I agree that the best choice for this riddle is ‘Cargills’. Congratulations Antonym – the winner. Thanks Control Freak for a very good riddle.

I just wanted to spare with you guys, ‘why’ I’ve chosen Taj.

It is an ancient monument – Taj Mahal
The children love it – They love the beauty of Taj Mahal
It does not serve the bottom of the pyramid – Taj Mahal is not in Egypt; but in India
Petite girls approach you from the blues – This is a symbol of love between Mum Taj and Shah Ja Khan. So, you can find many belles hanging around the monument to seek love
The old fox’s name is just the opposite – Old fox = Cunning person. Opposite (Synonym-Husband) of MumTaj is Shah Ja Khan. He did not want similar monuments erected elsewhere. Therefore, he handsomely rewarded his architects and sculptors by severing their hands…What kind of Old Fox Shah Ja Khan is?
Its consumers are squeezed both ways – Well, squeezed in the Spa and at the Cash Counter
It has spread its tentacles far and wide – Taj chain of hotels are in many countries
You always ask for directions – The investors of Taj always keep asking about the next hotel rally to dump their shares
It also sounds terribly fishy – Taj Samudra. Samudra is ‘Ocean’ that contain plenty of fish with many varieties

Thanks again Control Freak for the nice riddle and expecting more from you in future.

35A riddle for the season - Page 2 Empty Re: A riddle for the season Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:36 pm

Antonym

Antonym
Thanks to all for the congratulatory messages... Smile

This was my interpretation of 'The old fox’s name is just the opposite':
In my mind, 'The Old Fox' represented Junius Richard Jayawardene. Note his middle name: Richard.
Richard Pieris & Co, through Arpico, is one of the largest retailers in the country and provides some competition/opposition (hence, 'just the opposite') in retailing to Cargills. Smile

36A riddle for the season - Page 2 Empty Re: A riddle for the season Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:58 pm

smallville

smallville
Associate Director - Equity Analytics
Associate Director - Equity Analytics
Congrds antonym.. Smile

CF -> nice to see u back with some good work.. waiting for the next one Wink

note :- since these days its very difficult to earn even 2.5K in the market.. how abt increasing the price tag Rolling Eyes Laughing clown bounce bounce bounce

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum