FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» McDonald’s අපේ නෙමෙයි අපේ බෝස්ගේ – අබාන්ස් කියයි
by ChooBoy Today at 10:19 am

» AI Assistance for Stock Market Research and Analysis
by ChatGPT Today at 7:12 am

» Comparative Analysis of the Insurance Sector
by God Father Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:46 pm

» Sri Lanka: Why Pay Exorbitant Taxes?
by ChatGPT Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:52 pm

» LANKA CREDIT AND BUSINESS FINANCE PLC (LCBF.N0000)
by K.R Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:15 pm

» CENTRAL INDUSTRIES PLC (CIND.N0000)
by D.G.Dayaratne Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:11 am

» SIYAPATHA FINANACE PLC (SLFL.N0000)
by ChatGPT Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:58 am

» FINANCE AND LEASING SECTOR
by ChatGPT Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:45 am

» LOLC FINANCE PLC (LOFC.N0000)
by ChatGPT Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:36 am

» CIC HOLDINGS PLC (CIC.N0000)
by ChatGPT Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:18 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ChatGPT Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:15 am

» First Capital Holdings PLC: Current Financial performance and future outlook
by God Father Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:58 pm

» LankaBizz: Sri Lanka's First ever Artificially Intelligent (AI) Business and Research Assistant
by God Father Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:27 am

» HOTEL AND TRAVEL SECTOR
by ErangaDS Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:22 am

» CIC Holdings Good Times Ahead
by ashan silva Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:00 am

» EPF Fund keep eye on low P/E Shares
by K.R Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:45 am

» SINS - the Tailwind effects of a crisis hit Economy
by Hawk Eye Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:37 am

» Ceylon cold stores
by Hawk Eye Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:25 am

» Asha securities Provide buy signal for CIC
by ddrperera Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:10 am

» CSE ready for another Downtrend?
by D.G.Dayaratne Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:24 am

» LankaLAW Forum : Sri Lanka’s #1 Discussion Platform for Legal Questions and Answers
by blindhog Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:14 am

» Sri Lanka poised to benefit from demand surge for ‘non-China origin’ graphite
by samaritan Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:31 pm

» LOLC hotels
by Maharaja Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:34 pm

» AEL target price ?
by suku502 Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:26 am

» WAPO 200% UP
by LAMDA Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:33 pm

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

Disclaimer
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

The information contained in this FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ have been submitted by third parties directly without any verification by us. The information available in this forum is not researched or purported to be complete description of the subject matter referred to herein. We do not under any circumstances whatsoever guarantee the accuracy and completeness information contained herein. FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not in any way be responsible or liable for loss or damage which any person or party may sustain or incur by relying on the contents of this report and acting directly or indirectly in any manner whatsoever. Trading or investing in stocks & commodities is a high risk activity. Any action you choose to take in the markets is totally your own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental damages or loss arising out of the use of this information. The information on this website is neither an offer to sell nor solicitation to buy any of the securities mentioned herein. The writers may or may not be trading in the securities mentioned.

Further the writers and users shall not induce or attempt to induce another person to trade in securities using this platform (a) by making or publishing any statement or by making any forecast that he knows to be misleading, false or deceptive; (b) by any dishonest concealment of material facts; (c) by the reckless making or publishing, dishonestly or otherwise of any statement or forecast that is misleading, false or deceptive; or (d) by recording or storing in, or by means of, any mechanical, electronic or other device, information that he knows to be false or misleading in a material particular. Any action writers and users take in respect of (a),(b),(c) and (d) above shall be their own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental violation of securities laws of any country, damages or loss arising out of the use of this information.

AI Live Chat

You are not connected. Please login or register

A walk down memory lane .....

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 5]

The Alchemist

Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

I fished out an old Colombo Brokers Association Hand book of Rupee companies from 1979-1983.
If you need a blast from the past, I will be happy to give you statistics from that era.

Kicking it of with details for Buki in FY 1978/1979

Profit - Rs 2.5 million
Number of shares issued - 100,000 (increased to 400,000 in 1979/1980)
NAV - Rs 333
EPS - Rs 25
Dividend - Rs 12.50
Share Price as at 31st March 1979 - Rs 55

They dont come so cheap anymore i guess ! Smile

adding further.... (1979 details)

1 usd = Rs 15.55 in 1979 (34 years later 1 usd = 126)
Gold = usd 307 per ounce cumulative average price (34 years later = approx 1400 per ounce)
Prime Havelock Road real estate (30 perch + house) = Rs 1.8 Million (Today Rs 150 Million ?)

Rs 55 invested in Buki in 1979 = Rs 720,000 in 2013
usd 3.50 invested in Buki in 1979 = usd 5700 in 2013

In 1979, Microsoft IPO happened at usd 27 per share
In 2000, Microsoft was trading split adjusted at usd 3375, up 125 times in 21 years !

Last edited by The Alchemist on Sat May 25, 2013 12:00 am; edited 3 times in total

Share this post on: reddit

Post Mon May 27, 2013 7:13 am by Bond

stocks hunter wrote:@ smallville

U r correct sir. But what I don't like is without nothing people go against good shares. still they like to play with craps. Yes VONE is one of my favourite stocks. But not only that I got CFLB,AEL,COMB,LOLC,ALUF,GLASS,CFIN,TWOD etc....in my portfolio. some are short and some are for long.

what my argument is people who know the mkt should educate poor investors to invest in future value counters like VONE. That is not happening here. Just see some people think its an apparel company and still investing in CSE.

WHAT we should do is to have VONE at least 500 shares in every persons portfolios for long term benefits. Am I correct?

You have just confirmed what I said. VONE is just a holder of apparels, LB Finance and Rocell. It's minority investments are in banks.

Holding firms add value by getting dividends and setting up businesses. This is what happened at Carsons.
But DP who holds 800 million shares prefers to pay out those dividends at 0.3 per share

I will invest in vone the day he starts to use those profits to set up businesses under vone. 500 m rupees goes a long way and there are many ways he can expand by using this money

Instead he pays tax at multiple levels multiple times. Why can't you see this?

Perhaps if DP was smarter he would get TILE SAMP LBFINANCE ROCELL to buy his entire stake in Vone. Then he will exit Vone with 20 billion rupees but still control these firms. Through a personal holding and directorship. Just like Carsons Razz

Post Mon May 27, 2013 7:53 am by smallville

U r correct sir. But what I don't like is without nothing people go against good shares. still they like to play with craps. Yes VONE is one of my favourite stocks. But not only that I got CFLB,AEL,COMB,LOLC,ALUF,GLASS,CFIN,TWOD etc....in my portfolio. some are short and some are for long.

what my argument is people who know the mkt should educate poor investors to invest in future value counters like VONE. That is not happening here. Just see some people think its an apparel company and still investing in CSE.

WHAT we should do is to have VONE at least 500 shares in every persons portfolios for long term benefits. Am I correct?

We cant shift mentalities.. I learnt it the hard way.. The idea of this forum is to educate each other, especially we have a social responsibility to safeguard the investor crowd in SL I believe. New comers to be given a doze of our knowledge to not to fall into traps.. So we talk about many shares and highlight our views and anyone who reads the posts can also see whose saying what..

Its up to the readers to decide whether VONE is an emerging giant or not.. Its up to them to decide whether they wanna try 500 shares in VONE.. Its totally up to them to analyse whether what we talk in here is valid or not.. After all everyone got brains that they can use for a minute Wink

So we cannot stop ppl being negative or positive about specific counters.. Time will decide..

As we speak, what BOND has expressed is also a valid point... The money should be smartly used at the growth stage rather than allocating good dividends.

Post Mon May 27, 2013 7:57 am by stocks hunter

Its coming under diversified holdings sector. as per u purchasing JKH is not a good idea? investing in CARS is not a good idea. investing CTHR is risky?

JKH issued at Rs 10 was not a favourite among locals when it was trading around Rs 50 levels. CARS was also like that and CTHR also followed that. Just see their position today. companies in the diversified sector always trade at a premium. Their value increases day by day as per the performance of its holding companies.

dividends are only a minor income for holding companies.

not necessary to argue. u keep a copy of my advise in ur desktop and I will keep ur advice in my desktop. we can see what will happen in future. game close.

correction - green water ownership ( hotel project) - 100%

since DP owns majority he will continuously add value to VONE.

Now DP owns almost close to 50% in HAYL as well. may be he might bring the HAYL under VONE in future as well. WHO KNOWS?

Post Mon May 27, 2013 8:07 am by Slstock

There is some truth in what you say. Also one should analyze and see whether any of the individual companies RCL,LFIN, SAMP can give better return than VONE to an investor. Will they grown their assets/nav and earning at a faster rate. ( something to thin k about)

Anyway Bond.

But for benefit of others i think it is better you explain more what you mean by setting up a bussines vs having existing businesses under the portfolio. Also better to compare JKH/CARS with VONE to say why VONE is different than others.

Bond wrote:

You have just confirmed what I said. VONE is just a holder of apparels, LB Finance and Rocell. It's minority investments are in banks.

Holding firms add value by getting dividends and setting up businesses. This is what happened at Carsons.
But DP who holds 800 million shares prefers to pay out those dividends at 0.3 per share

I will invest in vone the day he starts to use those profits to set up businesses under vone. 500 m rupees goes a long way and there are many ways he can expand by using this money

Instead he pays tax at multiple levels multiple times. Why can't you see this?

Perhaps if DP was smarter he would get TILE SAMP LBFINANCE ROCELL to buy his entire stake in Vone. Then he will exit Vone with 20 billion rupees but still control these firms. Through a personal holding and directorship. Just like Carsons Razz

traderathome

Post Mon May 27, 2013 8:09 am by traderathome

500 not enough bounce need more say 10 to 25 thousand min. Smile

traderathome

Post Mon May 27, 2013 8:12 am by traderathome

VONE giving Good Entry Point around 18-19.5 Areas for a 5-0 Pattern...If you can collect @ these levels then wait for exit signal to unload Very Happy

Slstock

Post Mon May 27, 2013 8:14 am by Slstock

think he is not talking about short term trading. He is talking about several year investment.

traderathome wrote:VONE giving Good Entry Point around 18-19.5 Areas for a 5-0 Pattern...If you can collect @ these levels then wait for exit signal to unload Very Happy

smallville

Post Mon May 27, 2013 8:25 am by smallville

Bottom-line improvements of RCL may benefit VONE but it adds more value to RCL's own growth. VONE may benefit from the increased amounts of dividends of RCL (if they give)
Given the scenario that tile market is a monopoly, RCL can come up as the market leader.

chamith

Post Mon May 27, 2013 11:28 am by chamith

smallville wrote:VONE may benefit from the increased amounts of dividends of RCL (if they give)

Small,
Even if RCL decided not to give dividends for next 10 years, VONE benefits. Its not only RCL's Dividend that counts as income for VONE. In group accounts, the group accounts for the profit from subsidiaries attributable to parent in proportionality to its holding %. In other words irrespective of dividends, All of RCL's profit will be in VONE Books, and 50% will be deducted as Non Controlling interest.

Bone,
It's totally wrong what you mention about, getting subsidiaries (RCL, LFIN etc) to buy parent's (VONE) shares and then intend to control the subsidiaries still.

Post Mon May 27, 2013 11:57 am by Bond

I will answer the above questions with the following. For Vone to be successful it needs to reinvest those hefty dividends by building its own businesses.

DPs recent acquisitions have been at a higher price and to date the best acquisition was Orit Apparel.

The most expensive acquisition was Delmege which was at 2b followed by SAMP LBFINANCE and Rocell at there 52 week highs or there abouts.

Regardless of the loss Vone can still improve if it invests those dividends wisely. Distributing it results in corporate tax at 2 levels and personal tax at individual level.

DP can do many things..... He could invest in sugar which we import at annual cost of 50 billion.

Rocell and other investments can invest in Vone thorough there own subsidiaries. Not directly but through own subsidiaries.

Anyway sorry Alchemist for hijacking this thread. Any news on my question on Carsons and Bukit?

Post Mon May 27, 2013 12:05 pm by The Alchemist

Bond wrote:

Anyway sorry Alchemist for hijacking this thread. Any news on my question on Carsons and Bukit?

What do you want to know James Smile

Post Mon May 27, 2013 12:29 pm by Bond

The Alchemist wrote:
Bond wrote:

Have you got the old shareholder register of Carson related firms? Love to know who bought who first .... Was it Bukit or Carsons?

I suspect Bukit was initially controlled and then it bought Carsons .... that is instead of giving funds to minority shareholders it solidified the strength of a controlling shareholder

Chinwi

Post Mon May 27, 2013 12:53 pm by Chinwi

I agree with this and that was the reason I kept VONE away from me.

Bond wrote:DPs recent acquisitions have been at a higher price and to date the best acquisition was Orit Apparel.

The most expensive acquisition was Delmege which was at 2b followed by SAMP LBFINANCE and Rocell at there 52 week highs or there abouts.

Somehow, I feel VONE is still trading at current low prices due to the same reason. With time, it will gradually reach to a better valuation when its high priced susbs perform well and add value.
Some times we may regret not buying it at current prices.

Backstage

Post Mon May 27, 2013 1:50 pm by Backstage

What about DP/NP overt political patronizing ? They all do it but you wouldn't find Hari Selvanathan or Susantha Rathnayake being appointed deputy ministers or doing the cha cha with Namal Rajapaksa. So when you talk about long term, there are other aspects that also come into consideration.

Post Mon May 27, 2013 2:59 pm by The Alchemist

Bond wrote:
The Alchemist wrote:
Bond wrote:

Have you got the old shareholder register of Carson related firms? Love to know who bought who first .... Was it Bukit or Carsons?

I suspect Bukit was initially controlled and then it bought Carsons .... that is instead of giving funds to minority shareholders it solidified the strength of a controlling shareholder

No, I dont have any old shareholder register of Cars & Buki.

What i know is the following -

Carsons 60-70 % & RIT 20-30 % owned the original 5 Malaysian Palm Oil Estate Companies i.e. Selinsing, Goodhope, Indo-Malay, Shalimar-Malay & Bukit Darah.

Shalimar Malay owned approx 40 % of Carsons & Bukit Darah owned approx 20 % of Carsons, through its wholly held subsidiary Federal Securities.

In 1996, The above 5 companies (along with Carsons) formed an Investment Company called Shalimar Developments Bhnd registered in Indonesia and invested & ventured out into Indonesia and started their first Plantation called PT Agro Indomas.

In 2003, Bukit Darah sold its Malaysian estate for approx usd 35 Million and invested part money in another plantation in Indonesia called PT Agro Bukit (along with Shalimar Developments). At the same time, Shalimar Malay sold its 40 % stake in Carsons part to Buki and Part to Selvanathan Holding Companies.

In 2009, RIT sold its (20-30 %) stakes in Selinsing, Indo-Malay, Shalimar & Goodhope to newly formed Singapore Plantation Holding Company called GoodHope Asia Holdings (GHAHL).
Buki & Carsons also transferred all their plantation holding shares to Goodhope Asia in exchange for shares.

Now, GHAHL is the Groups Plantation Holding Company.
Carsons owns approx 53 % of GHAHL, Buki owns 35 %, and Rim Capital owns 12 %.
Buki owns approx 45 % of Carsons.
RIT owns 20.2 % of Buki
Guar & Cinv owns 100 % of RIT. (Guar owns 64 % of Cinv)
Carsons owns 67 % of Guar.

sriranga

Post Mon May 27, 2013 3:20 pm by sriranga

http://www.carsoncumberbatch.com/about_us/our_history.php

http://listofcompanies.co.in/bukit-darah-plc-the/

Post Mon May 27, 2013 3:45 pm by Bond

Thanks but I was looking for the time when Grand Central Holdings was sold or nationalised (?). Was the famous Upali a shareholder(?)

It was around that time that Sri Krishna Corporation started buying into Carsons ie after Upali's death.

I was once told about Upali Berhad that owned the Kuril Plantations acquired all the plantations under Grand Central. Was this the coffee plantation that Carsons had. Is that today's Shalimar Malay?

Book below tells a different story (?). Upali Investments was sold to Grand Central. Perhaps this happened after his death

Overseas Corporate Structures, Which Hide 'real Owners': Foreign Business By Nihal Ameresekere (2012)........... just google book search

Post Mon May 27, 2013 3:59 pm by Gaja

@ Bond,

Is the Upali's stake sold to Carsons or other shareholder (i can't recall his name need to check with my uncle) who jointly controlled the company with the Jesuthsan Family sold to Sri Krishna Corporation?

Post Mon May 27, 2013 4:31 pm by Bond

To be more clear Carsons owned a firm called Grand Central that was listed in London. It held most of the plantations in lanka and some British plantations in Malay. Theses plantations came under a trust within a holding company... Long story here!

This is what I heard:
This firm was later sold to Upali's Peacock Limited London which also owned his horse. Later it was transferred to Kuril Plantations Hong Kong.

Upali then used to travel often to his plantations in Malay.

From somewhere these plantations were transferred back to Carsons and he sold his stake. This must have happened after he died.

But as I said the above book may make things clearer. I just don't have the time read it.

sriranga

Post Mon May 27, 2013 5:05 pm by sriranga

Bond wrote:To be more clear Carsons owned a firm called Grand Central that was listed in London. It held most of the plantations in lanka and some British plantations in Malay. Theses plantations came under a trust within a holding company... Long story here!

This is what I heard:
This firm was later sold to Upali's Peacock Limited London which also owned his horse. Later it was transferred to Kuril Plantations Hong Kong.

Upali then used to travel often to his plantations in Malay.

From somewhere these plantations were transferred back to Carsons and he sold his stake. This must have happened after he died.

But as I said the above book may make things clearer. I just don't have the time read it.

Read this also
http://help.com/post/24361-upali-wijewardene

Chinwi

Post Tue May 28, 2013 8:19 am by Chinwi

Information we have about Late Mr. Upali Wijewardene is very limited and most of the facts are strange and hidden to outer world .

He was the first Asian to own a Learjet , the top class private airplane, used for his business trips around the Globe.
He had thousands of Ha of Cocoa Plantations and Chocolate factories in Malaysia .

Upali's hired a person called Ananda Krishnan to look after his assets in that part of the world.

Ananda Krishnan's parents were migrants from Sri lanka.

Now, he is one of the richest Asian.

A walk down memory lane ..... - Page 3 1329999917
Located in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, the “Jalan Ampang land” is one of the pricey assets of the Malaysian business magnate Ananda. The property enthusiast built Twin Towers on the massive land and then sold one of the towers to “Petronas” for a twofold price comprising the cost to build both towers and the cost of the land used.

biography: http://www.bornrich.com/ananda-krishnan.html

sriranga

Post Tue May 28, 2013 10:19 am by sriranga

Chinwi wrote:Information we have about Late Mr. Upali Wijewardene is very limited and most of the facts are strange and hidden to outer world .

He was the first Asian to own a Learjet , the top class private airplane, used for his business trips around the Globe.
He had thousands of Ha of Cocoa Plantations and Chocolate factories in Malaysia .

Upali's hired a person called Ananda Krishnan to look after his assets in that part of the world.

Ananda Krishnan's parents were migrants from Sri lanka.

Now, he is one of the richest Asian.

A walk down memory lane ..... - Page 3 1329999917
Located in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, the “Jalan Ampang land” is one of the pricey assets of the Malaysian business magnate Ananda. The property enthusiast built Twin Towers on the massive land and then sold one of the towers to “Petronas” for a twofold price comprising the cost to build both towers and the cost of the land used.

biography: http://www.bornrich.com/ananda-krishnan.html

The person who took care in Malaysia and Singapore was Murugiah not Ananda Krishnan.

Chinwi

Post Tue May 28, 2013 10:35 am by Chinwi

Sriranga wrote:The person who took care in Malaysia and Singapore was Murugiah not Ananda Krishnan.

No no Sri, two persons.

Muru was a SriLankan companion of Upali. Ananda is a Malaysian.

They (Upali's widow & family) are still in contacts with Ananda. Welgamas brought Ananda to buy SLT in 2008.

Ananda's son left all his material fortune and living as a Buddhist monk.

sriranga

Post Tue May 28, 2013 10:39 am by sriranga

Chinwi wrote:
Sriranga wrote:The person who took care in Malaysia and Singapore was Murugiah not Ananda Krishnan.

No no Sri, two persons.

Muru was a SriLankan companion of Upali. Ananda is a Malaysian.

They (Upali's widow & family) are still in contacts with Ananda. Welgamas brought Ananda to buy SLT in 2008.

Ananda's son left all his material fortune and living as a Buddhist monk.

OK good info, Thanks for the clarification.

Post Tue May 28, 2013 11:04 am by Bond

Krishnan was wealthy before Upali hit the scene. He owned the Malay Sporting Star .... monopoly on horse betting. You probably realised that there is a reason why I should know this!

And yes his son is a buddhist monk. A few years back on his birthday a few went by private jet to offer Dana.

I wonder what the circumstances were for the sale to Sri Krishna. Possibly the most valuable firm to be incorporated with an address in Kayts.

Chinwi

Post Tue May 28, 2013 3:06 pm by Chinwi

Bond wrote:Krishnan was wealthy before Upali hit the scene. He owned the Malay Sporting Star .... monopoly on horse betting.

There are many similarities.

Both born in the same year 1938.
Both inherited Ceylon DNA.
Both devoted Buddhists.

Upali Graduated in Economics from Cambridge , UK.
Ananda graduated in Political Sc. & Economics from Melbourne Uni. Australia after winning Colombo Plan scholarship.

Upali's first job - Management Trainee, Lever Bros. Colombo. 1959.
Ananda's first job - Management Trainee, Guthrie Berhad, Malaysia 1959.

Both left their places and started their own businesses.

Upali's started his most successful Unic Radio in 1968
Ananda started his major success , Exoil Trading in 1968

Both were horse racing enthusiasts. Invested heavily in horses and racing tracks.

Upali bought a Learjet , Ananda preferred Gilfstream , a similar looking private jet, different maker.

Ananda married a high class lass of Thai Royal Origin in 1971 and Upali, high class young Ratwatte girl in 1975.

Both used their connections with high powers (JRJ & Mahathir Mmd) to get billions of tax concessions and many other supports.

Both had allegations from various parties about their hidden activities, not proven...

Ananda had 3 kids, Upali none.
---

More about Upali's close friend Muru. ( Mr. R. Murugaiah)

One man who stood by him in those days was R. Murugaiah, an up-country Tamil. It is said that the name ‘Delta’ was adopted for Wijewardena’s sweets because Murugaiah was born on Delta group estate. Murugaiah was responsible for marketing the products then.

Years later Wijewardena was to quip publicly, “Behind every successful man there is a woman but behind every successful Sinhala businessman there is a Tamil,” and point to Murugaiah walking behind him !

- from DBSJ

A walk down memory lane ..... !

Last edited by Chinwi on Wed May 29, 2013 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total

sriranga

Post Tue May 28, 2013 3:37 pm by sriranga

Chinwi wrote:
Bond wrote:Krishnan was wealthy before Upali hit the scene. He owned the Malay Sporting Star .... monopoly on horse betting.

Correct.

Both born in the same year 1938. Both inherited Ceylon DNA.

Upali's first job - Management Trainee, Lever Bros. Colombo. 1959.
Ananda's first job - Management Trainee, Guthrie Berhad, Malaysia 1959.

Both left their places and started their own businesses.
Both were horse racing enthusiasts.
Upali bought a Learjet , Ananda preferred Gilfstream , a similar looking private jet, different maker.

Ananda married a high class lass of Thai Royal Origin in 1971 and Upali, high class Ratwatte girl in 1975.
---

More about Upali's close friend Muru. ( Mr. R. Murugaiah)

One man who stood by him in those days was R. Murugaiah, an up-country Tamil. It is said that the name ‘Delta’ was adopted for Wijewardena’s sweets because Murugaiah was born on Delta group estate. Murugaiah was responsible for marketing the products then.

Years later Wijewardena was to quip publicly, “Behind every successful man there is a woman but behind every successful Sinhala businessman there is a Tamil,” and point to Murugaiah walking behind him !

- from DBSJ

A walk down memory lane ..... !

Thanks Chinwi for the info.
Really appreciate.

KDDND

Post Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:29 pm by KDDND

how many thing we could have done if we have Rs. 10/- in 1980?
What was the price of
Bread?
Patrol?
Sugar?
Rice?

But I know there are some people either mistakenly or otherwise have brought shares like this on those days.......

One of my broker said... who have invested 25000/- by then now value is 25millions...
he is still reinvest the dividend on the same shares to buy...... additions to the bonus..........

pirat

Slstock

Post Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:35 pm by Slstock

I do remember that a bottle of Strawberry jam was less than Rs 5.

KDDND wrote:how many thing we could have done if we have Rs. 10/- in 1980?
What was the price of
Bread?
Patrol?
Sugar?
Rice?

But I know there are some people either mistakenly or otherwise have brought shares like this on those days.......

One of my broker said... who have invested 25000/- by then now value is 25millions...
he is still reinvest the dividend on the same shares to buy...... additions to the bonus..........

pirat

Post Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:37 pm by Gaja

KDDND wrote:how many thing we could have done if we have Rs. 10/- in 1980?
What was the price of
Bread?
Patrol?
Sugar?
Rice?

pirat

Sorry i born in early 80's so no idea about the prices, Just for Jokes

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum