FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Submit PostSubmit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

CHRONICLE™ NEWS PRODUCTS

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Views & Reviews, Analysis, Evaluations, Discussions, Gossip and Hot Tips relating to Sri Lankan companies listed on the Colombo Stock Exchange (CSE)
Contribute

DAILY CHRONICLE™

Latest news and articles published in Newspapers, Websites, Blogs and other online news sites relating to business and investments in Sri Lanka
Contribute

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE™

This is a section that provide news, views, analysis, predications relating to Political and Socio-Economic factors and how such activities affect the Stock Market and other economic activity of the Country.

Contribute

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

This is an exclusive section for Expert Articles which will help member to share knowledge through comments and responses of the members. All members are allowed to reply and make comments to these articles.

Contribute

Submit Post

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

Youtube Videos and other visual presentations relating Stock market and other investment advise submitted by members or other contributors.

Contribute

Submit Post

කොළඔ කොටස් වෙළඳපොළේ වංශකථාව
කොළඔ කොටස් වෙළඳපොළේ ලැයිස්තුගත සමාගම් කොටස් ගැන තොරතුරු¸විශ්ලේෂණ¸සාකච්ඡා¸ කටකතා¸රසකතා යන සියල්ල අපේම සිංහලෙන් කතා කළ හැකි ‘කතා මණ්ඩපය’

Contribute

Twitter Feeds
POPULAR COMPANIES
A

ABANS ELECTRICALS PLC

ACCESS ENGINEERING PLC Hot

ACL CABLES PLC

ACL PLASTICS PLC

ACME PRINTING & PACKAGING PLC

AGSTAR PLC

AITKEN SPENCE HOTEL HOLDINGS PLC

AITKEN SPENCE PLC

ANILANA HOTELS AND PROPERTIES PLC

ARPICO INSURANCE PLC

ASIA ASSET FINANCE PLC

ASIA CAPITAL PLC

B

BAIRAHA FARMS PLC

BALANGODA PLANTATIONS PLC

BIMPUTH FINANCE PLC

BLUE DIAMONDS JEWELLERY WORLDWIDE PLC

B P P L HOLDINGS PLC

BROWNS BEACH HOTELS PLC

BROWNS INVESTMENTS PLC

C

CARGO BOAT DEVELOPMENT COMPANY PLC

CENTRAL INDUSTRIES PLC

CEYLON COLD STORES PLC

CEYLON GRAIN ELEVATORS PLC Hot

CEYLON TEA BROKERS PLC

CEYLON TOBACCO COMPANY PLC

CHEVRON LUBRICANTS LANKA PLC

COLOMBO FORT LAND & BUILDING PLC

COMMERCIAL BANK OF CEYLON PLC

CITRUS LEISURE PLC Hot

COMMERCIAL CREDIT AND FINANCE PLC

D

DANKOTUWA PORCELAIN PLC

DFCC BANK PLC

DIALOG AXIATA PLC

DIALOG FINANCE PLC

DIPPED PRODUCTS PLC

DISTILLERIES COMPANY OF SRI LANKA PLC

DUNAMIS CAPITAL PLC

E

EAST WEST PROPERTIES PLC Hot

EASTERN MERCHANTS PLC

EXPOLANKA HOLDINGS PLC

E-CHANNELLING PLC

F

FIRST CAPITAL HOLDINGS PLC

G

GALADARI HOTELS (LANKA) PLC

GUARDIAN CAPITAL PARTNERS PLC

H

HATTON NATIONAL BANK PLC

HAYLEYS PLC

HAYLEYS FABRIC PLC

HAYLEYS FIBRE PLC Hot

HEMAS HOLDINGS PLC

HIKKADUWA BEACH RESORT PLC

HNB ASSURANCE PLC

HVA FOODS PLC

J

JANASHAKTHI INSURANCE COMPANY PLC

JOHN KEELLS HOLDINGS PLC Hot

JOHN KEELLS HOTELS PLC

L

LANKA ASHOK LEYLAND PLC

LANKA IOC PLC

LANKEM CEYLON PLC

LANKEM DEVELOPMENTS PLC

LAUGFS GAS PLC

LAUGFS POWER LIMITED

LOLC FINANCE PLC

LOLC HOLDINGS PLC

LUCKY LANKA MILK PROCESSING COMPANY PLC

M

MELSTACORP PLC

N

NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT BANK PLC

NATION LANKA FINANCE PLC

NESTLE LANKA PLC

O

ORIENT FINANCE PLC

OVERSEAS REALTY (CEYLON) PLC

P

PANASIAN POWER PLC

PEOPLE'S LEASING & FINANCE PLC

PIRAMAL GLASS CEYLON PLC

PRIME FINANCE PLC

R

RAIGAM WAYAMBA SALTERNS PLC

RENUKA AGRI FOODS PLC

RENUKA CAPITAL PLC

RENUKA HOLDINGS PLC

RICHARD PIERIS AND COMPANY PLC

RICHARD PIERIS EXPORTS PLC Hot

ROYAL CERAMICS PLC

S

SAMPATH BANK PLC

SEYLAN BANK PLC

SIERRA CABLES PLC

SINGHE HOSPITALS PLC Hot

SMB LEASING PLC

SOFTLOGIC HOLDINGS PLC

SOFTLOGIC LIFE INSURANCE PLC

SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC

SWISSTEK (CEYLON) PLC Hot

T

TEEJAY LANKA PLC

TESS AGRO PLC

THREE ACRE FARMS PLC

TOKYO CEMENT COMPANY (LANKA) PLC Hot

U

UNION BANK OF COLOMBO PLC

V

VALLIBEL FINANCE PLC

VALLIBEL ONE PLC Hot

VALLIBEL POWER ERATHNA PLC

W

WASKADUWA BEACH RESORT PLC

You are not connected. Please login or register

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ » FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ » The best Finance Company to buy..

The best Finance Company to buy..

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

21The best Finance Company to buy.. - Page 2 Empty Re: The best Finance Company to buy.. Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:32 am

erga

Stock Analytic
Stock Analytic
What is the potential for VFIN?

22The best Finance Company to buy.. - Page 2 Empty Re: The best Finance Company to buy.. Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:04 pm

Slstock

Director - Equity Analytics
Firstshort term target Rs 40.

If bull take over longer term previous higher of Rs 60 possible can be passed. ( even at around Market NAV and PE of 9)

@erga wrote:What is the potential for VFIN?

23The best Finance Company to buy.. - Page 2 Empty Re: The best Finance Company to buy.. Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:31 pm

rainmaker

Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics
Mercantile Investments .... check out that EPS and there stock portfolio
A related unlisted firm owns the largest gratuity portfolio with about 20b+ in investments

Another related firm was taken over by NTB in exchange for shares. Today that unit contributes 1/3 of NTB's interest income... Just an aside for those NTB fans Wink

24The best Finance Company to buy.. - Page 2 Empty Re: The best Finance Company to buy.. Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:34 pm

Gaja

Associate Director - Equity Analytics
Associate Director - Equity Analytics
Rainmaker, only issue is nobody is selling MERC.N0000

25The best Finance Company to buy.. - Page 2 Empty Re: The best Finance Company to buy.. Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:17 pm

sureshot

Vice President - Equity Analytics
tfc

26The best Finance Company to buy.. - Page 2 Empty Re: The best Finance Company to buy.. Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:27 pm

erga

Stock Analytic
Stock Analytic
Dividends.....VFIN??????

27The best Finance Company to buy.. - Page 2 Empty Re: The best Finance Company to buy.. Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:43 pm

rainmaker

It will be interesting to see if LOFC pays a high dividend. Or perhaps they'll buy another leasing block from LOLC

Just noticed that a few foreign funds have bought some stakes......

Seems the sharks have arrived early Cool

28The best Finance Company to buy.. - Page 2 Empty Re: The best Finance Company to buy.. Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:51 pm

Slstock

Slstock
Did you figure what the "Reversal for Doubtful Debts & Write Offs" of nearly 1 bil. I didn't have time to dig.

@rainmaker wrote:It will be interesting to see if LOFC pays a high dividend. Or perhaps they'll buy another leasing block from LOLC

29The best Finance Company to buy.. - Page 2 Empty Re: The best Finance Company to buy.. Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:03 pm

rainmaker

@slstock wrote:Did you figure what the "Reversal for Doubtful Debts & Write Offs" of nearly 1 bil. I didn't have time to dig.

@rainmaker wrote:It will be interesting to see if LOFC pays a high dividend. Or perhaps they'll buy another leasing block from LOLC

Didn't look that far. Just noticed a particular shareholder...i'll let you guess Question
LOLC is an attractive growth stock but the connection between LOFC and LOLC is kind of severed with the listing...... though one owns 90% of the other

LOFC is very similar to CDB.... the sharks will surely circle CDB. Keep an eye out for those shareholders Cool

30The best Finance Company to buy.. - Page 2 Empty Re: The best Finance Company to buy.. Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:21 pm

salt

salt
NSB එකට නම් The Finance Co තමය්

31The best Finance Company to buy.. - Page 2 Empty Re: The best Finance Company to buy.. Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:12 pm

Slstock

Slstock
Not sure you already bought or still interested in ALLI.

I commented several times on ALLI from pre bonus times afterward from Rs 600+

Here is some info for you from past
http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t8425-watch-out-alli-june-result-out

I won't talk about the fundamentals as it is already mentioned.

Though Family owned, ALLI seems to be treating their minority holder right. There was a previous bonus issue and decent dividends.

There was 10000 shares traded at Rs 800 which seems a top 20 holder exiting and MD buying. So I guess there won't be too much selling in a run.

Only issue is they have about 15% exposure to pawning. But if a considerable quantity of shares trade over Rs 1100 , a good run can happen before next quarter end.

CFIN is safer solid company but I don't like the benefits given to shareholders.

CDB, TFIL, VFIN are some other shares I think are trading at good values.

@taniya1111 wrote:I am planning to buy shares of a finance company, PLC, CFIN are in my list to buy, but looking at reports it seems the best finance company at current market is ALLI, NAV is 862 and EPS is 220. But it is very difficult to buy 1000 shares, Today i was looking at trades, So i would like to know more about this share from you.

32The best Finance Company to buy.. - Page 2 Empty The best Finance Company to buy.. Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:05 pm

taniya1111

Manager - Equity Analytics
@Harry82 wrote:Dont buy Alli finance.
Next quarter big down in profit(Gold loan)
Specially for ALLI.
Someone is try to sell.
dont buy.
this is the time to exit
If you know can you please give more details about this gold loan, This is the only negative thing i was heard about company.

33The best Finance Company to buy.. - Page 2 Empty Re: The best Finance Company to buy.. Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:09 pm

The Alchemist

Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
@taniya1111 wrote:
Specially for ALLI.
Someone is try to sell.
dont buy.
this is the time to exit
If you know can you please give more details about this gold loan, This is the only negative thing i was heard about company.

Just to set the record straight and with no intention of promoting, scaring, recommending to buy or sell any of the following securities -

1. As at 31st March 2012, ALLI has a gold exposure of 10 % of their total Assets.i.e. Rs 1.3 out of Rs 1.5 Billion classified under "other loans and advances"

2. As at 31st March 2013, ALLI has approx maybe maximum Rs 2.5 Billion (cannot tell exactly without a note) which amounts to approx 14 % of their Total Assets.

3. On 9th April at the height of the Gold Plunge, The MD bought over 10,000 shares of ALLI at over Rs 800.

4. Harry82 now is cautioning us on the gold issue for ALLI. If you read his past posts, his foremost recommendations recently have been on Sampath, LB Finance & Vone.

5. Sampath has over 25 % of its loan book exposed to Gold. Rs 50 Bill out of their loan portfolio of Rs 200 Billion and Assets of Rs 330 Billion on Gold.
Yet on 28th May 2013, he recommended Sampath Bank as one of his top picks, perhaps forgetting the "Gold" issue

http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t28681-best-20-stocks-for-2013-to-2016#168301

6. LB Finance, who up to last year showed Gold Loans seperately in their Balance Sheet, have now merged with another category and may have upto a Rs 12 Billion exposure out of Rs 52 Billion Assets. still on 3rd May, he says " Now LFIN FD rates are near bank FD rates. Then they have good profit ( gold loss is a little part of massive profit)"

http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t27864-can-you-recommend-best-fundamental-shares#162760

7. So I'm wondering if Gold is such a big issue for ALLI whose exposure is max 14 % (maybe lower), how come its not for Sampath (25 %), LB Finance (24 %) ?

34The best Finance Company to buy.. - Page 2 Empty Re: The best Finance Company to buy.. Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:26 pm

Slstock

Slstock
Alchemist , good points.

Hope you saw my post ( 2 post above) which I estimated pawing to be 15% and the MD buying points. I am sure MD is aware of this. They should have some risk management method which I could not find in detail yet. I saw even LFIN has taken some precaution. If Gold holds between $1350-1400 till august , they will have time to take further re mediate actions. The drop from March 31st is about 10-15% still.

Even if there is a short term effect in june due to gold ( like SAMP/LFIN)

i) even at Rs 150 for next year and NAV of 800+ I see no issue for longer term.
ii) for short term , who know ALLI might even cross previous all time high ( before bonus) before august. this is just a speculation.

When people chase after illiquids just for asset revaluations what ever it is ALLI is still a value bargain. Am not saying this is the only value share in the sector.

And yes I hold ALLI so I maybe bit baised in opinion but not in facts.

@The Alchemist wrote:
@taniya1111 wrote:
Specially for ALLI.
Someone is try to sell.
dont buy.
this is the time to exit

Just to set the record straight and with no intention of promoting, scaring, recommending to buy or sell any of the following securities -

1. As at 31st March 2012, ALLI has a gold exposure of 10 % of their total Assets.i.e. Rs 1.3 out of Rs 1.5 Billion classified under "other loans and advances"

2. As at 31st March 2013, ALLI has approx maybe maximum Rs 2.5 Billion (cannot tell exactly without a note) which amounts to approx 14 % of their Total Assets.

3. On 9th April at the height of the Gold Plunge, The MD bought over 10,000 shares of ALLI at over Rs 800.

4. Harry82 now is cautioning us on the gold issue for ALLI. If you read his past posts, his foremost recommendations recently have been on Sampath, LB Finance & Vone.

5. Sampath has over 25 % of its loan book exposed to Gold. Rs 50 Bill out of their loan portfolio of Rs 200 Billion and Assets of Rs 330 Billion on Gold.
Yet on 28th May 2013, he recommended Sampath Bank as one of his top picks, perhaps forgetting the "Gold" issue

6. LB Finance, who up to last year showed Gold Loans seperately in their Balance Sheet, have now merged with another category and may have upto a Rs 12 Billion exposure out of Rs 52 Billion Assets. still on 3rd May, he says " Now LFIN FD rates are near bank FD rates. Then they have good profit ( gold loss is a little part of massive profit)"

http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t27864-can-you-recommend-best-fundamental-shares#162760

7. So I'm wondering if Gold is such a big issue for ALLI whose exposure is max 14 % (maybe lower), how come its not for Sampath (25 %), LB Finance (24 %) ?

Last edited by slstock on Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added more info)

35The best Finance Company to buy.. - Page 2 Empty Re: The best Finance Company to buy.. Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:31 pm

taniya1111

@The Alchemist wrote:
@taniya1111 wrote:
Specially for ALLI.
Someone is try to sell.
dont buy.
this is the time to exit

Thanx The Alchemist, As you think what would be the affect to Allianz with this issue. Today i was going to clear the order at 1100.00 , but didnt do and thought to know more about this from forum members

36The best Finance Company to buy.. - Page 2 Empty Re: The best Finance Company to buy.. Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:29 pm

taniya1111

MERC may be the best to buy, but only 19 shareholders in the company, all 3 million shares with 19 people, Annualized EPS for the last quarter is Rs 226, but no sellers

37The best Finance Company to buy.. - Page 2 Empty Re: The best Finance Company to buy.. Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:45 pm

The Alchemist

@taniya1111 wrote:
Thanx The Alchemist, As you think what would be the affect to Allianz with this issue. Today i was going to clear the order at 1100.00 , but didnt do and thought to know more about this from forum members

As it was Harry82 who gave the negative report on ALLI, I will leave it to him to explain why and how much much is the impact of the Gold issue especially on ALLI.

All i will say is that Gold Prices have been down approx 12-15 % since April, so suspicious why it is being brought up suddenly the day after they report very good earnings and their is some movement in the stock. Furthermore, the impact of this, on their accounts, will only be known on June 30th, which is nearly one month away.

In FY ending March 2012, Interest Income from Gold amounted to Rs 260 Mill out of Total Interest Income of Rs Rs 2.1 Bill. Net Profit constituted approx 23 % of Total Interest Income.

In FY ending March 2013, Interest Income from Gold (extrapolated) amounts to Rs 390 Mill out of Total Interest Income Rs 3.25 Bill. Net Profit constitutes approx 16 % of Total Interest Income.
Therefore, The Total Gold Interest Income Profit amounted to Rs 62.4 Mill or Rs 26 per share. Their FY 2012/2013 EPS is approx Rs 220.

38The best Finance Company to buy.. - Page 2 Empty Re: The best Finance Company to buy.. Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:18 pm

Harry82

Harry82
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics

1. As at 31st March 2012, ALLI has a gold Assets.i.e. Rs 1.3 Bn

2. As at 31st March 2013, ALLI has a gold Asset Rs 2.7 Billion.

(they increased gold loans nearly105 %)

others are reducing their gold loans AllI increased 100% ????

But total deposit up only 40 %
Borrowings up near 25 %

Alchemist may one of the majer share holder of ALLI.
Now try to exit

At April 9 th 22 carat - rs 54,000.
MD bought over 10,000 shares of ALLI at over Rs 800.

Now 22 carat - rs 41,000

MD cant sell now
Every day trade below 300 nos

39The best Finance Company to buy.. - Page 2 Empty Re: The best Finance Company to buy.. Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:20 pm

Harry82

Harry82
catch CDB Bus.
Now it is moving very fast

40The best Finance Company to buy.. - Page 2 Empty Re: The best Finance Company to buy.. Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:29 pm

Harry82

Harry82
By Paneetha Ameresekere

Sampath Bank which has one of the largest pawning portfolios among private commercial banks is however ready to face any shock caused by falling gold prices.

Its Managing Director, Aravinda Perera told this reporter that the size of its pawning portfolio is Rs 53 billion, but by the Bank giving between 80-85% of the value of its pawning collateral as loans, had shielded it from the negative influence caused by falling gold prices.
Sampath Bank had employed Ernst and Young, an audit firm to do a study of its pawning portfolio and to come up with recommendations to safeguard it.
“We now give loans of between Rs 30-35,000 to a sovereign which is valued at Rs 40,000;” said Perera. “Besides on previous occasions we made good money from our pawning business, sufficient to cover any contingency caused by falling gold prices,” he said.
“We however may lose money on interest receivables from our pawning activities,” Perera said.
“We also made good money at the last gold auction held some three months ago and even gave a 6% refund to customers who were unable to redeem their pawned jewellery,” Perera said.
The next auction is due in another week’s time.
The Bank’s Acting Chief Operating Officer M.N.R. Fernando said due to the sentimental value of a customer’s gold given for pawning, it is rarely that such a customer avoids redeeming his or her pawned jewellery.
“As a result, we expect only a small percentage of our pawning portfolio to go bad,” he said.
Perera said he expected the losses in its pawning portfolio to be under Rs 200 million.

41The best Finance Company to buy.. - Page 2 Empty Re: The best Finance Company to buy.. Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:33 pm

ONTHEMONEY

Before buying in to finance companies we have to look in to following concerns;

1. Overall credit exposure in pawning advance?since Gold rates are on
downward side.We can expect provisions in coming financials.

2. CIFL crisis?since rest of the finance companies are vulnerable to affect
negatively with CIFL crisis.

Open for discussion

42The best Finance Company to buy.. - Page 2 Empty Re: The best Finance Company to buy.. Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:42 pm

Harry82

Harry82
that is true

ALLI 2012 march -- ------------------- --- 2013 march

Deposits 9,008,742,802 ---------------------------- 6,737,801,379
Borrowings 4,189,529,250 ------------------------- 3,377,566,890

borrowing is half of their Deposits. it was a big risk.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
See Lfin Very Happy

Deposits 38,742,742,000 --------------- --- 27,172,160,000
Borrowings 2,244,210,000 ----------------- ------ 1,541,555,000

Last edited by Harry82 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : error)

43The best Finance Company to buy.. - Page 2 Empty Re: The best Finance Company to buy.. Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:54 am

trader911

Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic
@Harry82 wrote:that is true

ALLI 2012 march -- ------------------- --- 2013 march

Deposits 9,008,742,802 ---------------------------- 6,737,801,379
Borrowings 4,189,529,250 ------------------------- 3,377,566,890

borrowing is half of their Deposits. it was a big risk.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
See Lfin Very Happy

Deposits 38,742,742,000 --------------- --- 27,172,160,000
Borrowings 2,244,210,000 ----------------- ------ 1,541,555,000

cfin easily stands out among rest

44The best Finance Company to buy.. - Page 2 Empty Re: The best Finance Company to buy.. Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:22 pm

Harry82

Harry82
Only 42 share trade up to now

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum