FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post

ADVERTISE
Poll

EXCHANGE RATE PREDICTION: 2022

View results

ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

Latest topics

» අද රාත්‍රියෙන් පසු, යක්ෂයාගේ හෝරාව ඇරඹේ!
by God Father Yesterday at 9:18 pm

» Sri Lanka Stock Market heading toward ASPI 4500
by God Father Yesterday at 9:14 pm

» Why no power cuts in certain areas of Colombo?
by God Father Yesterday at 8:03 pm

» Breaking News- Kanchana to go to Qatar ; 2 more ministers off to Russia
by samaritan Yesterday at 12:26 pm

» Expolanka to continue its winning streak
by samaritan Yesterday at 9:49 am

» කොළඹ රාජකීය ගොල්ෆ් සමාජය විසින් රජයේ දේපළ අවභාවිත කිරීම
by ddindika Yesterday at 9:33 am

» LOLC to enter the giant Indian Market
by samaritan Yesterday at 9:17 am

» LOLC HOLDINGS PLC (LOLC.N0000)
by CHRONICLE™ Yesterday at 6:46 am

» SOEs within Minimum Programme for Economic Recovery
by CHRONICLE™ Yesterday at 6:44 am

» COVID WAVES: Can there be another Covid-19 wave in Sri Lanka?
by CHRONICLE™ Yesterday at 6:36 am

» Luminex Limited lists on the Diri Savi Board after a capital raise of Rs. 250 Million
by CHRONICLE™ Yesterday at 6:34 am

» Importance of Agroforestry for Sri Lanka
by CHRONICLE™ Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Nivard Cabraal sets record straight on decision to allow flexibility to the rupee
by God Father Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:15 pm

» Baseless accusations against the former Governor Nivard Cabraal
by ChooBoy Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:44 pm

» Heavy losses at CPC whilst LIOC records profit
by ChooBoy Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:32 pm

» Misuse of government property by Royal Colombo Golf Club
by ChooBoy Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:52 pm

» SL Cauvery and Mannar Basins Petroleum Resource Data Revealed
by samaritan Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:00 pm

» Container shipping stocks routed
by target1 Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:32 pm

» Supply Chain Latest: Ocean Freight Rates Are Falling
by target1 Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:26 pm

» Turkish ship leaves Ukraine's Mariupol after grain talks with Moscow
by target1 Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:29 am

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

MARKET CHAT

CHRONICLE™ ANALYTICS

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

LATEST TWEETS

You are not connected. Please login or register

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ » CORPORATE CHRONICLE™ » Agarwood, මුරුංගා & other Plantation ideas

Agarwood, මුරුංගා & other Plantation ideas

+24
Rookantha
besthope
girihell
suja
udith
UKboy
manula
jonny
balapas
econ
Backstage
janakatk
m2_yapa
Arena
celtic tiger
rainmaker
Burpy
kingraj1
sam fisher
Kithsiri
salt
malanp
dudi
Chinwi
28 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Kithsiri

Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics

Backstage wrote:Murunga seeds tossed into water is the cheapest water purification method in the world by far.
So this company has chosen the ideal location to set up their project, where Water is an issue (and not forgetting that you can cheat masses and get away scot-free too, like after the Tsunami ).Very Happy

Last edited by Kithsiri on Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling errors.)

econ

Global Moderator

Do they buy the harvest after cultivation? In sri lanka Most difficult part is selling the harvest. Most farmers such as vegetables, fruit, potato suffered lot when they are going to sell their harvest.

balapas

Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

Seems like there is a scam going on like this in most places of Sri Lanka http://www.lankadeepa.lk/index.php/top_story/148566

Last week a woman wearing a saree and a man came to office and said sandlewood investment or similar and I told them to get out. Dont know what the company was. Touchwood is also doing marketing since I got a call saying new investment and can get return within 5 years from now. All are scammers.

Arena

Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics
Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics

Sadaharitha ?

Backstage

Burpy wrote:
Backstage wrote:Murunga seeds tossed into water is the cheapest water purification method in the world by far. Its being promoted in Africa that has severe drinking water issues.
Nothing to do with the feasibility of the above project of course.

OMG. that means eating murunga often clean your stomach too much lol!  

Clean stomach = no burping Smile 

jonny

jonny

Be careful HUMBANTHOTA...is heaven for rouges..Evil or Very Mad

Chinwi

Chinwi
Associate Director - Equity Analytics

Arena wrote:Sadaharitha ?

Now they offer Agarwood scheme also. (වල්ල පට්ට - Aquilaria tree )

Instead of growing in the lands selected by them and asking us to invest heavily , now they use our own lands to plant the Aquiliria tree.

They supply small plants and you have to pay money. For 10 plants you have to pay 14,000/-
40 plants are priced at 56,000.

Then you have to take care of the plants for six years. Then they will come and inject the fungus to the trees to activate Agar production. After two years trees are fell to extract Agarwood resin.
At the moment guaranteed buy back price is 25,000 per tree.
Cost of fungi is 3,500/-. If you agree to sell the trees to them they will do it free of charge.

(Making Agarwood from Aquilaria trees by TWOD is said to be a low success in Thailand due to non published reasons)

---- ---

I think if you have lands in the wet zone , even few sq.meters, you can plant few trees without anybodies help.

Because you have to wait at least six years to get the fungi Injection. Until then it will grow like a jungle tree. You can find walla-Patta plants in Balangoda area.

There are many types of CA Kits ( Cultivated Agarwood Kit) produced by various labs. Prof. Robert A. Blanchette's product is the famous . In 6 years of time you may find much easy way to get them. Apart from CA Kits, farmers in Bangladesh, Thailand, Vietnam etc. use many other methods to induce resin production.

Kithsiri

Kithsiri

කැලේ නිකම් වැවෙන ගස් වලට ඔච්චර මොකට ගෙවනවද ?
Whether the fungus is injected or not, when the tree is matured, the resin can be taken and if you can find the people who had been exporting this for years secretly pay you more than what the company is pledging to pay you.

manula

Vice President - Equity Analytics

Not by different companies. If you can do growing will be give good return.

Chinwi

Chinwi

Kithsiri wrote:කැලේ නිකම් වැවෙන ගස් වලට ඔච්චර මොකට ගෙවනවද ?
Whether the fungus is injected or not, when the tree is matured, the resin can be taken and if you can find the people who had been exporting this for years secretly pay you more than what the company is pledging to pay you.

You are correct.

The point is:
Aquilariya takes 30 years to get matured. Only then some trees start producing resin in response to the fungi come in with natural attacks like worms, pests and through damaged branches after heavy winds etc.

By injecting the fungus grown in labs this phenomenon can be induced within 6-8 years.  That is why we need the fungus. Resin is a natural antidote against the fungi.

Agarwood, මුරුංගා & other Plantation ideas - Page 2 61587310
Artificial inoculation

Agarwood, මුරුංගා & other Plantation ideas - Page 2 59219010

Mid Black color is the valuable Agar resin formed inside the tree trunk.

People cut every tree to find a tree with the resin.
When injected most of the trees produce the resin.

Kithsiri

Kithsiri

UKboy

UKboy

Chinwi wrote:

Instead of growing in the lands selected by them and asking us to invest heavily , now they use our own lands to plant the Aquiliria tree.

They supply small plants and you have to pay money. For 10 plants you have to pay 14,000/-

Then you have to take 25,000 per tree.
Cost of fungi is 3,500/-. If you agree to sell the trees to them they will do it free of charge.

(Making Agarwood from Aquilaria trees by TWOD is said to be a low success in Thailand due to non published reasons)

Thank you very much Chinwi, I have been searching a source for a long time but yet to find a breakthrough.
I asked many ppl but they all said not to do crazy things simply because they dont know what it is

Kithsiri

Kithsiri

A handful in Sri Lanka knew the real value of this plant and was minting money without much troubles.
Now the Cat is out of the bag finally but I hope the curiosity would not kill the Cat too soon either.Very Happy 

udith

Stock Trader

Chinwi wrote:

Then you have to take care of the plants for six years.  Then they will come and inject the fungus to the trees to activate Agar production. After two years trees are fell to extract Agarwood resin.
At the moment guaranteed  buy back price is 25,000 per tree.

---- ---

I think if you have lands in the wet zone , even few sq.meters, you can plant few trees without anybodies  help.

Because you have to wait at least six years to get the fungi Injection. Until then it will grow like a jungle tree. You can find walla-Patta plants in Balangoda area.

There are many types of CA Kits ( Cultivated Agarwood Kit) produced by various labs.  Prof. Robert A. Blanchette's product is the famous .  In 6 years of time you may find much easy way to get them. Apart from CA Kits, farmers in Bangladesh, Thailand, Vietnam etc. use many other methods to induce resin production.

Kithsiri

Kithsiri

Chinwi wrote: farmers in Bangladesh, Thailand, Vietnam etc. use many other methods to induce resin production.
Can someone shed more lights on this "other methods" being used by other countries ?
I am interested and my Cross-hair is focused on Walla-patta now. Very Happy 

suja

Hi, does anyone know whether the tree will grow in the dry zone specially puttalam area?

Kithsiri

Kithsiri

suja wrote:Hi, does anyone know whether the tree will grow in the dry zone specially puttalam area?
Hitherto this is a wild plant and not much care is needed.
I may be wrong but have a strong gut feeling that harsh weather conditions may trigger resin production earlier than the plants in the wet zone.
Give it a go and good luck. Very Happy 

Chinwi

Chinwi

Kithsiri wrote:
Can someone shed more lights on this "other methods" being used by other countries ?
I am interested and my Cross-hair is focused on Walla-patta now. Very Happy   

හා හා පිස්සුව හැදුන වගේ !

බොහොමයක් 100% සාර්ථක ක්‍රම නොවේ .

අපේ පරණ අය  පලදාව නැති ගස් වලට කරන්නේ . අන්න ඒ වගේ ක්‍රම.

සමහර රටක ගම් වැසියන් කඳට  ඇණ  ගහනවා , ගහ තුවාල වෙන්න ගහනවා,  පොතු ගහනවා .
ගසේ කඳ  නිරාවරණය වෙන ලෙස සිදුරු හදනවා .   තවත් රටක  ගස් වලට දරුණු ලෙස පොරෝ පහර දීගෙන යනවා .
පැරණි චීනයේ යකඩ නියනක්  කඳ තුලට විද එම යකඩයේ එලියට ඇති කොටස  ගිනි තියනවා .

ඒ වගේම අස්වැන්න ගත්  කපා දමන ලද  පරණ අගාර්  ගහකින්  ගත් ශාක කොටස් ගෙන අලුත් ගස් වල සිදුරු විද ඒවා ඇතුල් කරනවා .
මේවා ක්‍රිස්තු වර්ෂ 800 තරම් ඈතක සිට පැවති ක්‍රම .

කෙසේ වුවත් දැනට වත්තේ ලොකු ගස් නැත්නම් මුලින්ම කල යුත්තේ වවන්න පටන් ගැනීමයි. මොකද ගස් අවම වශයෙන්  6 වසරක් වත් පරණ වෙන්න ඕන ඊළඟ ස්ටෙප් එකට යන්න .

------
@ suja,

At the moment it can be found in wet zone. I have no idea about growing it in the  dry zone.

BTW, I was the first to cultivate Dendrobium Orchids  commercially in Dry Zone - in hot, arid and low humid  Hambantota in late 90s . Until then the commercial growers were told by experts that it can be grown only in Wet zone mainly in Kaluthara, Colombo and Gampaha areas.

About Aquilaria , they say at the moment,

"Aquilaria Agarwood is suitable for planting in the lowland areas to the mountains at an altitude of 0 - 750 meters above sea level with an average rainfall of less than 2000cm. Appropriate temperature is between 27 ° C to 32 ° C with a rate of 70% sunlight. Suitability of land types soft and sandy clay soil with a pH between 4.0 to 6.0. "

I am sure trees can be grown in Puttalam but we have to think about maintaining high humidity and cooler climate as we are depending on fungi formation in agar business.  If high temperature kill the fungus then you have to sell the tree for firewood !

p.s.
On the other hand, Kithsir's point is also can be considered. Harsh weather and windy climate support fungus to go inside the tree. I am concerned about the high temperature.

Kithsiri

Kithsiri

@ Chunwi
Thanks.
I have a fairly large plot in Matara and plans are already afoot to plant a few there.
Keep you guys posted the developments later.

udith

Stock Trader

Check this
www.mdpi.com/1420-3049/18/3/3086/pdf‎

sorry search this

Whole-tree Agarwood-Inducing Technique

UKboy

UKboy

suja wrote:Hi, does anyone know whether the tree will grow in the dry zone specially puttalam area?

Suja,
You should try Aloe vera plants. Much easier and less time to harvest. Especially in puttalam area. I have read an article somewhere. Need to find it. as per that, a company in Puttalama ready to buy plants from you.

Chinwi

Chinwi

Kithsiri wrote:@ Chunwi
Thanks.
I have a fairly large plot in Matara and plans are already afoot to plant a few there.

If you get Aquilaria seeds let us know pl.

girihell

Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

http://www.ft.lk/2013/06/04/the-walla-patta-stink/

Walla Patta, or Gyrinops Walla as it is scientifically known, is an indigenous herb that is used to produce some of the finest perfumes in the world. Since it is exclusive to the country, trade in this precious plant is prohibited

above article says its illegal in sri lanka so how are we going to do it if we are planing on doing such plantation in commercial level.

Kithsiri

Kithsiri

Chinwi wrote:
Kithsiri wrote:@ Chunwi
Thanks.
If you get Aquilaria seeds let us know pl.
I am expecting saplings than seeds and sure I will let you know.Very Happy 

besthope

Manager - Equity Analytics
Manager - Equity Analytics

I am thinking, best thing is forget all above plants. first leagalize ganga (marihuana) in sri lanka. now legal in most of america, european counties and now australia also thinking making legal for medicinal purposes as this is a medicinal plant. far better for our youth than alcohol, kassippu and cigarretes. many health benefits for glaucoma. In india Bhang (hemp) is used in temples. tourists increasingly comming and they also like. best crop price per acare. read about the colorado story on the international network. Narco- tourism. just imagine like lennon saying. all are stoned. our people also become less violent than after alcohol & kassippu. rape, murder, ego problems, also dissapear.

https://www.google.lk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CC0QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rand.org%2Fpubs%2Fworking_papers%2F2010%2FRAND_WR764.pdf&ei=nH7eUbKsL8PJrAe974HYBA&usg=AFQjCNEJjXOgQVPWnsOlvQu08x7gZOXaww&bvm=bv.48705608,d.bmk

The above is cost of production per acare.

Selling price of legal medicinal marihuana in california is Rs 1.6 Mill per kg.

Kithsiri

Kithsiri

besthope wrote: Selling price of legal medicinal marihuana in california is Rs 1.6 Mill per kg.
I think I am a Billionaire already. Very Happy 

Chinwi

Chinwi

girihell wrote:http://www.ft.lk/2013/06/04/the-walla-patta-stink/

Walla Patta, or Gyrinops Walla as it is scientifically known, is an indigenous herb that is used to produce some of the finest perfumes in the world. Since it is exclusive to the country, trade in this precious plant is prohibited

above article says its illegal in sri lanka so how are we going to do it if we are planing on doing such plantation in commercial level.

You can get permission for commercial growing in your land. It is not narcotic. Prohibition is to save nature.
Even few of us get together we can apply. That particular company has already got the permission to grow , cut and sell. Hence the door is now open for others also.

Chinwi

Chinwi

More on walla .... with small clarifications.

Sri Lankan tree is not Aquilaria but Gyrinops walla .
Both varieties belongs to the same family, Thymelaeaceae.

At the moment 1st grade agarwood is coming from Aquilaria which is not found in Sri lanka.
Research are being done to test the composition of Agar found in Sri lankan Gyrinops.

If the chemical combinations needed to make 1st grade Oud Oil perfume (Agar) is not matching in our product you may not get the higher prices and they will put it to grade III or below.

@ Kithsiri, girihel,

Gyrinops is not a protected plant in Sri Lanka. If you cut any tree in the protected jungle that is prohibited . At the moment people are cutting it from jungles. That is why they raid. The higher values given in the newspapers are not correct for the low grade Agar we found , they say.

You can cut Walla tree in your private land without any permission. Somehow, selling out of the country is prohibited.

By the way, we should try to get some Aquilaria casanna from Thailand, which is a proven variety for top grade Oud oil.
If we succeed producing agar using imported aquilaria, we can cut and sell it without any restrictions.

girihell

Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

Chinwi wrote:More on walla ....  with small clarifications.

Sri Lankan tree is not Aquilaria but Gyrinops walla .
Both varieties belongs to the same family, Thymelaeaceae.

At the moment 1st grade agarwood is coming from Aquilaria which is not found in Sri lanka.  
Research are being done to test the composition of Agar found in Sri lankan Gyrinops.

If the chemical combinations needed to make 1st grade  Oud Oil perfume (Agar) is not matching in our product you may not get the higher prices and they will put it to grade III or below.

@ Kithsiri, girihel,

Gyrinops is not a protected plant in Sri Lanka. If you cut any tree in the protected jungle that is prohibited . At the moment people are cutting it from jungles. That is why they raid. The higher values given in the newspapers are not correct for the low grade Agar we found , they say.

You can cut Walla  tree in your private land without any permission. Somehow, selling out of the country is prohibited.

By the way, we should try to get some Aquilaria casanna from Thailand, which is a proven variety for top grade Oud oil.
If we succeed producing agar using imported aquilaria, we can cut and sell it without any restrictions.

Thanks for the info chinwi Very Happy 

I have few acres of land in the wet zone right now we are basically cultivating vegetables,
its become more difficult with finding workers and other issues.

I'm looking into options which will have low maintenance cost and long term income.

Smile 

manula

Chiniwi, Thanks for all the information. As I was working in Qatar, thought to buy some coconut land or some.. for when return to start keep active. But when going through this thread.. learn many other plants,like walla. Any good site.. or way to learn more about these things???

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum