FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» McDonald’s අපේ නෙමෙයි අපේ බෝස්ගේ – අබාන්ස් කියයි
by ChooBoy Today at 10:19 am

» AI Assistance for Stock Market Research and Analysis
by ChatGPT Today at 7:12 am

» Comparative Analysis of the Insurance Sector
by God Father Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:46 pm

» Sri Lanka: Why Pay Exorbitant Taxes?
by ChatGPT Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:52 pm

» LANKA CREDIT AND BUSINESS FINANCE PLC (LCBF.N0000)
by K.R Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:15 pm

» CENTRAL INDUSTRIES PLC (CIND.N0000)
by D.G.Dayaratne Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:11 am

» SIYAPATHA FINANACE PLC (SLFL.N0000)
by ChatGPT Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:58 am

» FINANCE AND LEASING SECTOR
by ChatGPT Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:45 am

» LOLC FINANCE PLC (LOFC.N0000)
by ChatGPT Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:36 am

» CIC HOLDINGS PLC (CIC.N0000)
by ChatGPT Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:18 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ChatGPT Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:15 am

» First Capital Holdings PLC: Current Financial performance and future outlook
by God Father Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:58 pm

» LankaBizz: Sri Lanka's First ever Artificially Intelligent (AI) Business and Research Assistant
by God Father Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:27 am

» HOTEL AND TRAVEL SECTOR
by ErangaDS Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:22 am

» CIC Holdings Good Times Ahead
by ashan silva Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:00 am

» EPF Fund keep eye on low P/E Shares
by K.R Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:45 am

» SINS - the Tailwind effects of a crisis hit Economy
by Hawk Eye Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:37 am

» Ceylon cold stores
by Hawk Eye Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:25 am

» Asha securities Provide buy signal for CIC
by ddrperera Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:10 am

» CSE ready for another Downtrend?
by D.G.Dayaratne Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:24 am

» LankaLAW Forum : Sri Lanka’s #1 Discussion Platform for Legal Questions and Answers
by blindhog Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:14 am

» Sri Lanka poised to benefit from demand surge for ‘non-China origin’ graphite
by samaritan Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:31 pm

» LOLC hotels
by Maharaja Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:34 pm

» AEL target price ?
by suku502 Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:26 am

» WAPO 200% UP
by LAMDA Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:33 pm

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

Disclaimer
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

The information contained in this FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ have been submitted by third parties directly without any verification by us. The information available in this forum is not researched or purported to be complete description of the subject matter referred to herein. We do not under any circumstances whatsoever guarantee the accuracy and completeness information contained herein. FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not in any way be responsible or liable for loss or damage which any person or party may sustain or incur by relying on the contents of this report and acting directly or indirectly in any manner whatsoever. Trading or investing in stocks & commodities is a high risk activity. Any action you choose to take in the markets is totally your own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental damages or loss arising out of the use of this information. The information on this website is neither an offer to sell nor solicitation to buy any of the securities mentioned herein. The writers may or may not be trading in the securities mentioned.

Further the writers and users shall not induce or attempt to induce another person to trade in securities using this platform (a) by making or publishing any statement or by making any forecast that he knows to be misleading, false or deceptive; (b) by any dishonest concealment of material facts; (c) by the reckless making or publishing, dishonestly or otherwise of any statement or forecast that is misleading, false or deceptive; or (d) by recording or storing in, or by means of, any mechanical, electronic or other device, information that he knows to be false or misleading in a material particular. Any action writers and users take in respect of (a),(b),(c) and (d) above shall be their own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental violation of securities laws of any country, damages or loss arising out of the use of this information.

AI Live Chat

You are not connected. Please login or register

Dividends

+8
KDDND
wappula
nihal123
balapas
sashimaal
malanp
Kithsiri
LSE
12 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Dividends  Empty Dividends Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:21 am

LSE

LSE
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

*** This post is only for smart investors ***

Questions

1) What it means to "issue a dividend"

2) Are dividends good or bad?

3) Does it matter if a company issues a dividend or not?

Answers

1) If business is succeeding, then shareholders are happy too because the value of their investment has gone up. Fantastic.

But shareholders can't really "make" any money unless they sell their shares, and they don't want to do that because company is so awesome.

But wait, there's another option:
company could issue a dividend. That means company use some of the money making in the business and pay it back to shareholders as a way of saying, "Thanks for investing with our company."

So when dividend time comes around, shareholders get a check for a percentage of the money they have invested. (It's called the "dividend yield," if you must know.)

Example

So if you own 1000 shares worth 100 Rs each, he has 100,000 Rs worth of stock. If company pay a dividend of 3 Rs, that means the dividend yield is 3 percent (3Rs/100Rs). In other words, You will get a 3% percent return — or 3000 Rs — on Your 100,000 Rs investment.

2) That sounds great for shareholders, but are dividends a good idea for the company?
By paying a dividend instead of investing that money back into the company, might be losing an opportunity to grow even more.

dividend is a great way to direct people to buy stocks. Many investors like to focus on companies that pay dividends because they're simply interested in getting that "free money."
If a company has paid a dividend for 20 years and has never lowered it, then that's a strong sign that a company is stable.

3) High-growth companies rarely offer dividends, because all of their profits are reinvested to help sustain their higher-than-average growth.

Company can decide to cut their dividend in order to make sure they are having enough money to keep the company going.

Note :

They can help or hurt, depending on the situation.

So the next time you go hunting for stocks with a generous dividend, make sure you're looking at a good company too. Buying based only on a payment isn't smart investing.

Thank You. study study study

2Dividends  Empty Re: Dividends Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:34 am

Kithsiri

Kithsiri
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics

Thanks for the posting and good for the newcomers here to read.

3Dividends  Empty Re: Dividends Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:40 am

malanp

My friend LSE
You always contradict what you write.

dividends are not issued, dividends are "Declared" and subsequently "Paid"
Shares are "Issued"

smart investors already know about dividend more than what you have typed in the article
Your lesson is good for farmers in Polonnaruwa,  

with your little knowledge about about share market you are constantly uneducating the uneducated.

Change the heading *** This post is only for Farmers in Polonnaruwa ***

Last edited by malanp on Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total

4Dividends  Empty Re: Dividends Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:07 am

sashimaal

sashimaal
Manager - Equity Analytics

Thanks LSE for the advice.

Also pls put your daily update of ASI behaviour along with an analysis of a selected counter atleast twice a week. There is a lot to learn from TAH and you.

5Dividends  Empty Re: Dividends Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:08 am

balapas

malanp wrote:My friend LSE

Shares are "Issued"

smart investors already know about dividend more than what you have typed in the article

with your little knowledge about about share market you are constantly uneducating the uneducated.

Like you have mentioned the terminology of the article is not that great. Issue of dividend is normally mentioned in case of script dividends. However this guy published something which was not his like his by changing few words. Thats unprofessional original source http://www.weseed.com/learn/level3/level3-dividends/

There are plenty of educated people who do not know about these basics although they are doing good jobs. This is because they are people outside the financial industry like doctors, lawyers, marketers etc who have not done commerce subjects even at O/L. So if there is a separate section on the forum for education purposes like News and Research that would be great.

Last edited by balapas on Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:18 am; edited 3 times in total

6Dividends  Empty Re: Dividends Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:17 am

LSE

LSE

Shares are "Issued"

My friend malanp

You always understand the inverse of what I'm saying. yep actually as you said this is due to our education and knowledge level. You are in the level of exceed expectation according to you and you are 100% prefect.

So, I'm stop argue with you because of

If I argue with a fool like you, I look like a fool, too.
An outside observer can't tell the difference when I go down to the fools level...
king  study study study 

Thank You for your appreciation again my dearest genius friend malanp rendeer

sorry i couldn't give you the source withing the post

Source:

http://www.weseed.com/learn/level3/level3-dividends/

7Dividends  Empty Re: Dividends Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:23 am

Kithsiri

Kithsiri

Here we go again.Shocked 
I could not help wondering why some in the forum are so bellicose? Very Happy 
Nature, level of education or the back ground ?Embarassed 

8Dividends  Empty Re: Dividends Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:54 am

malanp

My friend LSE

I corrected the wrong terms and asked you to put a proper heading because i feel it is necessary. If your heading is like "this article is for new comers" or "this article is for beginners in CSE" I would not have commented at all.

But your claim that this article is for smart investors and contents is otherwise, then I am not wrong for expressing my honest view.

whatever you write happenned to be contradicting of your initial claim that you are an expert in London Stock Exchange and you are trying to educated CSE ignorant investors.

I always feel you are deviating from your initial claim..

9Dividends  Empty Re: Dividends Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:09 pm

nihal123

nihal123

Tks LSE

What is the best dividends paying company in sri lanka

10Dividends  Empty Re: Dividends Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:43 pm

wappula

wappula

thank you LSE your valuable effort

malanp wrote:

do you think, I am smarter than farmers in Polonnaruwa,
Pls, highly care your brain don't walk rainy days.alien 

11Dividends  Empty Re: Dividends Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:01 pm

KDDND

KDDND
Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics
Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics

Thx LSE!

I appreciate your work.....
I am in the process of learning...
all sort of inputs which give some knowledge ...
help people like me to gain thing and go head....!!!

I have learnt a lot from people who do some good contribution to this forum.....I respect them and they kind of leaders / teachers for people like us!

I am remembering them happily with respect....!!!
Thx! flower 

12Dividends  Empty Re: Dividends Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:08 pm

Dileepa

I was wondering where did I read this before.
Thank to balapas for pointing out the original source jocolor

13Dividends  Empty Re: Dividends Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:55 pm

smallville

smallville
Associate Director - Equity Analytics

Kithsiri wrote:Here we go again.Shocked 
I could not help wondering why some in the forum are so bellicose? Very Happy 
Nature, level of education or the back ground ?Embarassed 

I think its mostly the primary education and how a person is brought up. If one's parents are in-genuine, argues a lot, basically not much educated, the children will most of the time will suffer too.. And those memories will remain as bad patches in their minds. That's what they practice even as grown ups..

Look at very few members who are damn adamant, calling names all the times being professionals, i.e. lecturers, big shots in some industries, etc...

In this forum, with repeated reminders, still some ppl always miss out the sources when they mention something they found outside. Then there are some others who intentionally leave out the sources and later disclose due to being exposed.. I donno if not attitude and one's ingenuity, what it should call and when will they learn...

14Dividends  Empty Re: Dividends Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:58 pm

smallville

smallville

wappula wrote:thank you LSE your valuable effort

malanp wrote:

do you think, I am smarter than farmers in Polonnaruwa,
Pls, highly care your brain don't walk rainy days.alien 

Hey Wappa u took it offensive or ur really a farmer outside Polonnaruwa Smile

LSE,

Do u involve in traveling a lot mate?

15Dividends  Empty Re: Dividends Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:05 am

jonny

jonny

Shares are "Issued"

Dear Friend Malanp

Pls do not insult the poor farmers in polonnaruwa. Don;t think that they became farmers because they are uneducated.If the farmers are not there in SRI LANKA we will have to starve.I don't think if there is no RICE in the market that any market can fill that gap.Please respect our hardworking farmers for what they are doing behalf of us.If the farmers are not there can you go and harvest.Do you know how to harvest... THEREFORE PLEASE DO NOT INSULT PROFESSIONS...

16Dividends  Empty Re: Dividends Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:22 am

malanp

@Jonny

Can you be specific how I insulted farmers??

17Dividends  Empty Re: Dividends Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:27 am

wappula

wappula

smallville wrote: 
Hey Wappa u took it offensive or ur really a farmer outside Polonnaruwa Smile

dear smallvilla, my core business is not farming but that is part of my income

18Dividends  Empty Re: Dividends Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:43 pm

Backstage

Backstage

Since the Mahavihare gained political control in the Anuradhapura period Rice farmers have been given a privileged position in society. Among other the thriving mental industries of the east coast were virtually erased from the Mahawamsa history. This rice centric thinking may not be economically and environmentally unfeasible for the future.

This is a diversionary attack on this thread which looks like its heading nowhere. Smile 

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum