FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» LOLC FINANCE PLC (LOFC.N0000)
by Equity Win Today at 2:17 pm

» SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC (SLTL.N0000)
by sureshot Today at 7:42 am

» Construction Sector Boom with Purchasing manager's indices
by rukshan1234 Yesterday at 11:24 pm

» Asha Securities and Asia Securities Target AEL (Access Enginnering PLC )
by Anushka Perz Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:30 pm

» Sri Lanka: China EXIM Bank Debt Moratorium to End in April 2024
by DeepFreakingValue Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:22 pm

» Uncertainty over impending elections could risk Lanka’s economic recovery: ADB
by God Father Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:47 pm

» Sri Lanka's Debt Restructuring Hits Roadblock with Bondholders
by God Father Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:42 pm

» BROWN'S INVESTMENTS SHOULD CONSIDER BUYING BITCOIN
by ADVENTUS Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:48 pm

» Bank run leading the way in 2024
by bkasun Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:21 pm

» ACCESS ENGINEERING PLC (AEL) Will pass IPO Price of Rs 25 ?????
by blindhog Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:44 am

» ASPI: Undoing GR/Covid19!
by DeepFreakingValue Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:25 am

» Learn CSE Rules and Regulations with the help of AI Assistant
by ChatGPT Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:47 am

» Top AI tools in Sri Lanka
by ChatGPT Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:21 am

» HDFC- Best ever profit reported in 2023
by ApolloCSE Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:43 pm

» WAPO 200% UP
by LAMDA Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:41 pm

» KEGALLE PLANTATIONS PLC (KGAL.N0000)
by DeepFreakingValue Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:04 pm

» ARPICO INSURANCE PLC - Reports LKR 625mn loss for the FY2023
by DeepFreakingValue Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:58 pm

» EXTERMINATORS PLC (EXT.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:59 am

» ALLIANCE FINANCE COMPANY PLC (ALLI.N0000)
by SL-INVESTOR Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:29 am

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by Anushka Perz Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:50 pm

» PINS (People's Insurance) will be another UAL
by sakuni Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:22 pm

» A New Record Price for One Tonne of Cocoa on the International Market
by ResearchMan Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:03 pm

» Access Engineering awarded two more contract packages at Colombo Port
by samansilva Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:05 pm

» FMCG Sector LMF, MEL and DIST
by buwr Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:35 am

» CEYLON GUARDIAN INVESTMENT TRUST PLC (GUAR)
by soileconomy Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:00 am

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

Disclaimer
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

The information contained in this FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ have been submitted by third parties directly without any verification by us. The information available in this forum is not researched or purported to be complete description of the subject matter referred to herein. We do not under any circumstances whatsoever guarantee the accuracy and completeness information contained herein. FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not in any way be responsible or liable for loss or damage which any person or party may sustain or incur by relying on the contents of this report and acting directly or indirectly in any manner whatsoever. Trading or investing in stocks & commodities is a high risk activity. Any action you choose to take in the markets is totally your own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental damages or loss arising out of the use of this information. The information on this website is neither an offer to sell nor solicitation to buy any of the securities mentioned herein. The writers may or may not be trading in the securities mentioned.

Further the writers and users shall not induce or attempt to induce another person to trade in securities using this platform (a) by making or publishing any statement or by making any forecast that he knows to be misleading, false or deceptive; (b) by any dishonest concealment of material facts; (c) by the reckless making or publishing, dishonestly or otherwise of any statement or forecast that is misleading, false or deceptive; or (d) by recording or storing in, or by means of, any mechanical, electronic or other device, information that he knows to be false or misleading in a material particular. Any action writers and users take in respect of (a),(b),(c) and (d) above shall be their own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental violation of securities laws of any country, damages or loss arising out of the use of this information.

AI Live Chat

You are not connected. Please login or register

Is it good time to settle down in Sri Lanka how we plan it?

+26
stumpy
cseguide
LateTackle
Antonym
Sasanka De Silva
wiki
manula
NUINTH
KDDND
Jake Sully
UAEBOY
sriranga
Chinwi
The Alchemist
Slstock
roshana7549
rainmaker
celtic tiger
UKboy
Kithsiri
funland
smallville
Humble
Arena
Takecharge
nalaka_sg
30 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

nalaka_sg

Manager - Equity Analytics

Hi guys,

this is not directly related to stocks. but like to get your  genuine comments on this.
i been living in overseas almost 15 years and thinking to go back to my roots. im already fed up with living as 2nd class citizen in other land.

i want to make exit strategy:idea:

Takecharge

Definitely, no more check ups, bombs exploding, freedom, need not live in a cold climate all your life, time to return but make sure u bring ample amount of money with you (dollars) and invest.

Arena

Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics

Good idea. Well come back to the mother land.

Humble

nalaka_sg wrote:Hi guys,

this is not directly related to stocks. but like to get your  genuine comments on this.
i been living in overseas almost 15 years and thinking to go back to my roots. im already fed up with living as 2nd class citizen in other land.

Come come - its a nice place to be

smallville

smallville
Associate Director - Equity Analytics

Nalaka u seem to be living in UAE, there's a bit of color discrimination in UK n US as well...

funland

Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic

Unless you are a specialized person in a field that Sri Lanka is in short of human resources, I believe it is good for you to reside wherever you are now. But make sure to invest your money in Sri Lanka. This will help you to earn extra money while helping Sri Lanka to make use of your money to enhance the economy. If you are totally fed up, aged, and if you feel that wearing the badge of 2nd class citizenship (do you really feel like this after 15 years? I am surprised) is hurting beyond your level of emotion, you should come back to your mother land. Just my view. I could be wrong.

Kithsiri

Kithsiri
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics

Think about your kids' (if you have any) future before take a decision.
You will still be a second class citizen, If you have no money and political connections in Sri Lanka too.
It will hurt more then and where would you go then is a very funny question to ask.
I think some sacrifices are worth.

UKboy

UKboy

Agree with kithsiri,

No money pls DONT COME. I really do mean it. The more money you have the more comfortable you are in Sri Lanka. It will be a painful experience to become a second class citizen in your own country.
If you are into properties and planning to buy a property, study about new highway systems. Try to find a property close to any interchange. Still there are places you can buy properties for a reasonable price. (I’m not a big fan of apartments) .
Again.. No money Dont come. (unless you inherited valuable things).

If you are planning to do a job then make sure to have a second income. It could be anything, interest from a deposit, investment etc etc....
GL

UKboy

UKboy

smallville wrote:Nalaka u seem to be living in UAE, there's a bit of color discrimination in UK n US as well...
It's a shame that Sri Lanka no longer offer dual citizenship. I can understand the intention but there are some genuine cases.

celtic tiger

Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

Funland wrote 'do you realy feels like 2nd class citizen after 15 years'
Dear funland
Longer you live more you feel. you are a tree without roots. there is no land like MOTHERLAND !

funland

Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic

celtic tiger wrote:Funland wrote 'do you realy feels like 2nd class citizen after 15 years'
Dear funland
Longer you live more you feel. you are a tree without roots. there is no land like MOTHERLAND !

OK.Thanks.Appreciate your view.

smallville

smallville

UKboy wrote:
smallville wrote:Nalaka u seem to be living in UAE, there's a bit of color discrimination in UK n US as well...
It's a shame that Sri Lanka no longer offer dual citizenship. I can understand the intention but there are some genuine cases.

They re-opened I heard but its expensive now Crying or Very sad 

rainmaker

Good question but you need to plan it well and it deserves more interrogation than the above responses.

Effectively what you need as a basic is a luxury house and a luxury car.

Secondly you need about 10m in FD that will provide a complementary income.

Thirdly you need a good job with a good salary plus plenty of perks .... entertainment allowance, luxury car, fuel, and plenty of foreign travel. You need the foreign travel to justify that your not missing anything just in case your inner mind starts saying things to you. Lots of social parties ( yes the crap you see in Hi magazine also helps )

I say this because you gotta aim high otherwise you will live in regret. Wink 

roshana7549

rainmaker wrote:Good question but you need to plan it well and it deserves more interrogation than the above responses.

Effectively what you need as a basic is a luxury house and a luxury car.

Secondly you need about 10m in FD that will provide a complementary income.

Thirdly you need a good job with a good salary plus plenty of perks .... entertainment allowance, luxury car, fuel, and plenty of foreign travel. You need the foreign travel to justify that your not missing anything just in case your inner mind starts saying things to you. Lots of social parties ( yes the crap you see in Hi magazine also helps )

I say this because you gotta aim high otherwise you will live in regret. Wink 

My personnel view is that, Don't buy luxury houses(unless you are very very rich) since it stuck your hard earned money on non income generating source, other thing is bigger the house bigger the maintenance cost subsequently..... Same thing can be applied for the luxury cars also.............

It is always better to keep some money on Investments such as FD, Share mkt ,Land etc which can provide you an extra income... If you can save money from purchasing a affordable house rather than a luxury one, you could save some money for investments.........

LIFE IS NOT ABOUT PRETENDING THAT YOU ARE RICH TO OTHERS BUT INTERNAL HAPPINESS WHICH CAN BE DERIVED FROM MENTAL FREEDOM, when you got stuck with loans and debts which are difficult to be paid, life is more miserable. Therefore it s always better to be simple and debt free and which can give you some mental freedom.....

Slstock

Slstock
Director - Equity Analytics

roshana7549 wrote:
My personnel view is that, Don't buy luxury houses(unless you are very very rich) since it stuck your hard earned money on non income generating source, other thing is bigger the house bigger the maintenance cost subsequently..... Same thing can be applied for the luxury cars also.............

It is always better to keep some money on Investments such as FD, Share mkt ,Land etc which can provide you an extra income... If you can save money from purchasing a affordable house rather than a luxury one, you could save some money for investments.........

LIFE IS NOT ABOUT PRETENDING THAT YOU ARE RICH TO OTHERS BUT INTERNAL HAPPINESS WHICH CAN BE DERIVED FROM MENTAL FREEDOM, when you got stuck with loans and debts which are difficult to be paid, life is more miserable. Therefore it s always better to be simple and debt free and which can give you some mental freedom.....

Hear hear. I like your view.

roshana7549

slstock wrote:
roshana7549 wrote:

Hear hear. I like your view.

Thanks a lot for admiring my view, it is very inspirational when somebody like you comes up with positive comments.............Very Happy 

The Alchemist

Your decision could be based / depends on the following -

Age, Current Country of Residence, Financial Means / Strength, your livelyhood overseas, what you intend to do in Sri-Lanka, Kids ?, Family in Sri-Lanka etc.  
Dont worry too much on being a second class citizen in another land. their is no guarantee you will become a first class citizen in Sri-Lanka !
Also remember, the grass always seems greener on the other side i.e. particularly after a fairly long stint overseas, you long to come home. when your here, you may wish to go back !

Takecharge

" when your here, you may wish to go back !
The Alchemist "
That could happen, due to various reasons.

Chinwi

Chinwi

im already fed up with living as 2nd class citizen in other land.

I can understand. I came back within two years !
I have another friend who is at a top position in DXB, coming back after 17 years leaving the lucrative job.

I think you are matured enough to manage your life and wealth here. If you have kids exposed to comfort they may get hard time to adjust.

Do not expect hassle free driving. You have to learn not to get angry when others show unexpected and foolish behavior on the road.

About investments,

Buy a countryside land within few hrs reach from the residence,  and plant Kos, Del, pol , amba , rambutan etc. and you can enjoy real life when you feel fed-up in town. Select a poor good family to look after it and you can help them also without affecting your finance. Few thousands are big amount for them.  

Doing a job will be much difficult. Our pace is mush slower in everything. Many people are just sitting like puppets. I gave up doing jobs, they cannot cope with my speed. I get angry and next was high blood pressure. If you like chatting and gossip wow! then this is the best place.

Best way is starting your own place and train some youngsters.  

There are many scams targeting expatriate cash. Do not jump in without full investigation.

As rainmaker correctly said, few trips abroad is a must. I prefer Thailand mainly due to affordable costs and tasty  food. [ nothing else  Wink ]

As UKBoy said, study new highway system before buying lands. CMB-Kandy is coming.

After coming here, I studied many projects to start. We dropped many because : after paying salaries you get nothing.  

If you have enough money put half of it in FDs and buy good shares using the interest. Never go for margin trading.

Do not take risk by  investing all the money you have in everywhere. Better to keep at least 50 % in TB or FD until you develop any other steady income here.

Better not to bother about politicians or what they do. Do not argue in politics and waste your time and energy.

Finally, we miss many nice things in life while running for money and wealth.

We can do Bird watching, hiking, travelling in your own country, photography, helping poor..  etc.  There are many nice things to enjoy if you have money to  keep you alive.

My slogan is FIRE.

Financially Independent and Retire Early.
I escaped from the 'job' trap at the age of 48 years.

I worked hard for money for 26 years, now money work for me. I just manage them, leisurely .

If you wait to retire at 55 or 60 you knee joints will not allow you to go anywhere except hospital and then to the final pace.

Arena

@ Chinwi ,
Hope you have read the book Rich Dad And poor Dad........By Kiyosakia.

Good advise....................

sriranga

sriranga
Co-Admin

Chinwi wrote:

I have another friend who is at a top position in DXB, coming back after 17 years leaving the lucrative job.

I think you are matured enough to manage your life and wealth here. If you have kids exposed to comfort they may get hard time to adjust.

Do not expect hassle free driving. You have to learn not to get angry when others show unexpected and foolish behavior on the road.

About investments,

Buy a countryside land within few hrs reach from the residence,  and plant Kos, Del, pol , amba , rambutan etc. and you can enjoy real life when you feel fed-up in town. Select a poor good family to look after it and you can help them also without affecting your finance. Few thousands are big amount for them.  

Doing a job will be much difficult. Our pace is mush slower in everything. Many people are just sitting like puppets. I gave up doing jobs, they cannot cope with my speed. I get angry and next was high blood pressure. If you like chatting and gossip wow! then this is the best place.

There are many scams targeting expatriate cash. Do not jump in without full investigation.

As rainmaker correctly said, few trips abroad is a must. I prefer Thailand mainly due to affordable costs and tasty  food. [ nothing else  Wink ]

As UKBoy said, study new highway system before buying lands. CMB-Kandy is coming.

After coming here, I studied many projects to start. We dropped many because : after paying salaries you get nothing.  

If you have enough money put half of it in FDs and buy good shares using the interest. Never go for margin trading.

Do not take risk by  investing all the money you have in everywhere. Better to keep at least 50 % in TB or FD until you develop any other steady income here.

Better not to bother about politicians or what they do. Do not argue in politics and waste your time and energy.

We can do Bird watching, hiking, travelling in your own country, photography, helping poor..  etc.  There are many nice things to enjoy if you have money to  keep you alive.

My slogan is FIRE.

I worked hard for money for 26 years, now money work for me. I just manage them, leisurely .

If you wait to retire at 55 or 60 you knee joints will not allow you to go anywhere except hospital and then to the final pace.

What I thought you put in words.
Really appreciate. Well said.
Thanks Chinwi.
You are a diamond.

http://sharemarket-srilanka.blogspot.co.uk/

Kithsiri

Kithsiri

@ Chinwi
Wow.
This is what I have in my mind too.
Travelled enough and seen the World many times over and so all I want is a quite life now.
Helping others, teach poor kids how to speak in English and help with their Mathematics, set up a free Library for them etc.
I think I am almost there now. Very Happy 

UAEBOY

UAEBOY

Chinwi wrote:

About investments,

My slogan is FIRE.

You are the man Sir...Very Happy 

smallville

smallville

roshana7549 wrote:

At last, someone's thinking goes inline with mine.. Razz 

Max spending u need to have a good house with good modern facilities & a comfortable car;
House - 9-10M
Car - 3-4M

chinwi wrote:
My slogan is FIRE.

I donno what to say.. ur simply an amazing man who understood the reality of life.. When I come to your age, I hope I can enjoy at least half of your perks Wink

Slstock

Slstock

Chinwi wrote:

About investments,

My slogan is FIRE.

Fantastic thinking.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum