FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.


Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com


Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.


Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka


Submit PostSubmit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post



Latest topics

» DIPD/HAYC/HAYL
by ONTHEMONEY Yesterday at 11:56 pm

» If you buy a stock that’s not going up in price, you won’t make any money. STOCK market for beginners
by dayandacool Yesterday at 11:48 pm

» ROYAL CERAMICS PLC (RCL.N0000)
by shan31 Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» LANKA ALUMINIUM INDUSTRIES PLC (LALU.N0000)
by Jana Yesterday at 11:15 pm

» VPEL VPEL VPEL
by invest thinker Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» B P P L HOLDINGS PLC (BPPL.N0000)
by Harry82 Yesterday at 9:40 pm

» Which is the best at current market condition ? ( At least 30% within 30 Days)
by Harry82 Yesterday at 9:29 pm

» EXPOLANKA HOLDINGS PLC (EXPO.N0000)
by learningthemarket Yesterday at 8:18 pm

» Daily Foreign Transactions
by Pradeep90 Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» LOLC Share Price
by EGG Yesterday at 5:59 pm

» L B FINANCE PLC (LFIN.N0000)
by Venu123 Yesterday at 2:06 pm

» RAIGAM WAYAMBA SALTERNS PLC (RWSL.N0000)
by Eranga87 Yesterday at 1:55 pm

» Windforce IPO
by lokka1 Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Will the Market Sluggish ?
by stockchaser Yesterday at 9:20 am

» VFIN / VPEL / PABC - Share SPLIT or VTWO ?
by WealthKing Yesterday at 8:07 am

» VPEL high return share
by stockchaser Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:47 pm

» TESS Agro PLC
by spksd Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:21 pm

» Crypto , Digital Currency Trading , Forex
by Dilip Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:09 pm

» EASTERN MERCHANTS PLC (EMER.N0000)
by Mr. X Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:07 pm

» SANASA DEVELOPMENT BANK PLC (SDB.N0000)
by samaritan Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:34 am

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)


CHRONICLE™ YouTube

CHRONICLE™ NEWS PRODUCTS

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Views & Reviews, Analysis, Evaluations, Discussions, Gossip and Hot Tips relating to Sri Lankan companies listed on the Colombo Stock Exchange (CSE)
Contribute




DAILY CHRONICLE™

Latest news and articles published in Newspapers, Websites, Blogs and other online news sites relating to business and investments in Sri Lanka
Contribute



ECONOMIC CHRONICLE™

This is a section that provide news, views, analysis, predications relating to Political and Socio-Economic factors and how such activities affect the Stock Market and other economic activity of the Country.

Contribute




EXPERT CHRONICLE™

This is an exclusive section for Expert Articles which will help member to share knowledge through comments and responses of the members. All members are allowed to reply and make comments to these articles.

Contribute


Submit Post


CHRONICLE™ YouTube

Youtube Videos and other visual presentations relating Stock market and other investment advise submitted by members or other contributors.

Contribute


Submit Post


කොළඔ කොටස් වෙළඳපොළේ වංශකථාව
කොළඔ කොටස් වෙළඳපොළේ ලැයිස්තුගත සමාගම් කොටස් ගැන තොරතුරු¸විශ්ලේෂණ¸සාකච්ඡා¸ කටකතා¸රසකතා යන සියල්ල අපේම සිංහලෙන් කතා කළ හැකි ‘කතා මණ්ඩපය’

Contribute

Twitter Feeds
POPULAR COMPANIES
A

ABANS ELECTRICALS PLC

ACCESS ENGINEERING PLC Hot

ACL CABLES PLC

ACL PLASTICS PLC

ACME PRINTING & PACKAGING PLC

AGSTAR PLC

AITKEN SPENCE HOTEL HOLDINGS PLC

AITKEN SPENCE PLC

ANILANA HOTELS AND PROPERTIES PLC

ARPICO INSURANCE PLC

ASIA ASSET FINANCE PLC

ASIA CAPITAL PLC

B

BAIRAHA FARMS PLC

BALANGODA PLANTATIONS PLC

BIMPUTH FINANCE PLC

BLUE DIAMONDS JEWELLERY WORLDWIDE PLC

B P P L HOLDINGS PLC

BROWNS BEACH HOTELS PLC

BROWNS INVESTMENTS PLC

C

CARGO BOAT DEVELOPMENT COMPANY PLC

CENTRAL INDUSTRIES PLC

CEYLON COLD STORES PLC

CEYLON GRAIN ELEVATORS PLC Hot

CEYLON TEA BROKERS PLC

CEYLON TOBACCO COMPANY PLC

CHEVRON LUBRICANTS LANKA PLC

COLOMBO FORT LAND & BUILDING PLC

COMMERCIAL BANK OF CEYLON PLC

CITRUS LEISURE PLC Hot

COMMERCIAL CREDIT AND FINANCE PLC

D

DANKOTUWA PORCELAIN PLC

DFCC BANK PLC

DIALOG AXIATA PLC

DIALOG FINANCE PLC

DIPPED PRODUCTS PLC

DISTILLERIES COMPANY OF SRI LANKA PLC

DUNAMIS CAPITAL PLC

E

EAST WEST PROPERTIES PLC Hot

EASTERN MERCHANTS PLC

EXPOLANKA HOLDINGS PLC

E-CHANNELLING PLC

F

FIRST CAPITAL HOLDINGS PLC

G

GALADARI HOTELS (LANKA) PLC

GUARDIAN CAPITAL PARTNERS PLC

H

HATTON NATIONAL BANK PLC

HAYLEYS PLC

HAYLEYS FABRIC PLC

HAYLEYS FIBRE PLC Hot

HEMAS HOLDINGS PLC

HIKKADUWA BEACH RESORT PLC

HNB ASSURANCE PLC

HVA FOODS PLC

J

JANASHAKTHI INSURANCE COMPANY PLC

JOHN KEELLS HOLDINGS PLC Hot

JOHN KEELLS HOTELS PLC

L

LANKA ASHOK LEYLAND PLC

LANKA IOC PLC

LANKEM CEYLON PLC

LANKEM DEVELOPMENTS PLC

LAUGFS GAS PLC

LAUGFS POWER LIMITED

LOLC FINANCE PLC

LOLC HOLDINGS PLC

LUCKY LANKA MILK PROCESSING COMPANY PLC

M

MELSTACORP PLC

N

NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT BANK PLC

NATION LANKA FINANCE PLC

NESTLE LANKA PLC

O

ORIENT FINANCE PLC

OVERSEAS REALTY (CEYLON) PLC

P

PANASIAN POWER PLC

PEOPLE'S LEASING & FINANCE PLC

PIRAMAL GLASS CEYLON PLC

PRIME FINANCE PLC

R

RAIGAM WAYAMBA SALTERNS PLC

RENUKA AGRI FOODS PLC

RENUKA CAPITAL PLC

RENUKA HOLDINGS PLC

RICHARD PIERIS AND COMPANY PLC

RICHARD PIERIS EXPORTS PLC Hot

ROYAL CERAMICS PLC

S

SAMPATH BANK PLC

SEYLAN BANK PLC

SIERRA CABLES PLC

SINGHE HOSPITALS PLC Hot

SMB LEASING PLC

SOFTLOGIC HOLDINGS PLC

SOFTLOGIC LIFE INSURANCE PLC

SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC

SWISSTEK (CEYLON) PLC Hot

T

TEEJAY LANKA PLC

TESS AGRO PLC

THREE ACRE FARMS PLC

TOKYO CEMENT COMPANY (LANKA) PLC Hot

U

UNION BANK OF COLOMBO PLC

V

VALLIBEL FINANCE PLC

VALLIBEL ONE PLC Hot

VALLIBEL POWER ERATHNA PLC

W

WASKADUWA BEACH RESORT PLC


You are not connected. Please login or register

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ » FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ » Need an advice

Need an advice

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Need an advice Empty Need an advice Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:57 am

prasadrmb

prasadrmb
Manager - Equity Analytics
Manager - Equity Analytics
Dear all

I have en-counted with losses form shares that I have brought.

I need your valuable comment on the method that I am going to do to recover my losses early as possible.

I will sell my shares(currently- no up trend) at a loss and buy share which has an uptrend or trend to move up.

Please advice.

2Need an advice Empty Re: Need an advice Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:43 am

D.G.Dayaratne


Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
Don't depend on others
Study company accounts. Read various reports
on stock market

This forum is also very useful If you read carefully you can get  an idea
about what to buy and what to sell

Specially do not buy on credit



Last edited by D.G.Dayaratne on Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correction)

3Need an advice Empty Re: Need an advice Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:44 pm

Jana1


Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics
Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics
@prasadrmb wrote:Dear all

I have en-counted with losses form shares that I have brought.

I need your valuable comment on the method that I am going to do to recover my losses early as possible.

I will sell my shares(currently- no up trend) at a loss and buy share which has an uptrend or trend to move up.

Please advice.

Since u r mem from 2011- I guess u genuinely asking.
This is not da right time to sell. There s a good uptrend near by..If u could tell ur shares along with % and the bought price, I can suggest few- if u wish..

4Need an advice Empty Re: Need an advice Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:06 pm

prasadrmb

prasadrmb
Manager - Equity Analytics
Manager - Equity Analytics
It is a genuine request and not about any share that I have asked. I need a general comment that what should do with situations like I have faced.

I have many types of shares that I brought without a knowledge. Loss is about 50%. Shares that I have brought, are not moving with the uptrend of the market, but they goes down further.

So what to do? Should I sell them at a loss and buy shares that are move with the uptrend of the market.

5Need an advice Empty Re: Need an advice Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:57 pm

The Alchemist


Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
@ prasadrmb

your situation and what to do may depend on what shares you have and what is your cost ? how much did you initially invest and what is your total portfolio value now ?
if you give this information, someone may be able to help you.

6Need an advice Empty Re: Need an advice Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:06 pm

Redbulls

Redbulls
Director - Equity Analytics
Director - Equity Analytics
Basic adice from my experience as follows,
1. If you have more fund to invest then buy uptrending shares now.
2. Regarding existing portfolio sell the losers and keep the stock which can move in medium term. Averaging or waiting with the existing lose making shares won't help you in near future.
3. The past lost take it as a tuition fees paid for the investment course, bitter but need to accept.

7Need an advice Empty Re: Need an advice Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:56 pm

hariesha


Vice President - Equity Analytics
Vice President - Equity Analytics
@prasadrmb wrote:It is a genuine request and not about any share that I have asked. I need a general comment that what should do with situations like I have faced.

I have many types of shares that I brought without a knowledge. Loss is about 50%. Shares that I have brought, are not moving with the uptrend of the market, but they goes down further.

So what to do? Should I sell them at a loss and buy shares that are move with the uptrend of the market.

When you say 50% loss, I can imagine what shares you are in. Those small shares gone down by huge margins now and may bounce back. Why, those are in "Opportunity" category now. ie; PCH, PCHH, PCP, CIFL, TESS, PAP, TWOD (I don't hold any at the moment, except some CIFL but considering to enter in near future). I believe they carry a good opportunity to a risk taker now. Any moment a new investor can get in to these now, as they are fairly valued now.

Take PCP as an example. By investing 50 M you can get the control of the shell company. For an investor to start a company and obtain a listing is costing more and time consuming. This is true for PCH, PCHH and CIFL, TWOD. Only problem with CIFL is with the deposit liability, which Central Bank is thinking the new investor should take over. But at some point they may remove this condition.

PAP and TESS, I think fairly valued now with businesses of going concern.

So my advice is to hold. But I cannot say till when. Meanwhile do some value investing to diversify your portfolio. There are some mid-caps with attractive valuations and good dividend ratios. When market starts the down trend, "Cut Losses" theory may work. But at the near bottom situations, it only provides regrets.

Have a habit of investing a certain amount, in every month and for value shares. Wish you good luck and patience.

8Need an advice Empty Re: Need an advice Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:00 pm

prasadrmb

prasadrmb
Manager - Equity Analytics
Manager - Equity Analytics
These are the shares
Need an advice Share11

9Need an advice Empty Re: Need an advice Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:15 pm

hariesha


Vice President - Equity Analytics
Vice President - Equity Analytics
This is an old story and my answer remains same. Portfolio is much better than I thougt.

But if you had the habit of continuous investing, by now you may have recovered more than 50% of the loss. The companies with plantation exposure may not reach the previous glory quickly. But this is not the time for selling.

10Need an advice Empty Re: Need an advice Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:50 am

suddera

suddera
Manager - Equity Analytics
Manager - Equity Analytics
@hariesha wrote:This is an old story and my answer remains same. Portfolio is much better than I thougt.

But if you had the habit of continuous investing, by now you may have recovered more than 50% of the loss. The companies with plantation exposure may not reach the previous glory quickly. But this is not the time for selling.

yea I too agree with you.

Buy some at current levels and average your cost (eg. LGL , UBC, NTB ... )

11Need an advice Empty Re: Need an advice Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:07 pm

The Alchemist


Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
@prasadrmb

I think you have too many (number) of shares for your portfolio size. 19. reviewing your cost in hindsight, your cost prices are above their intrinsic values for most of these shares except for perhaps NTB & LGL.

your options are as follows -

1. Do nothing. when & if the "Bull" returns, a rising tide will lift all ships and hopefully you will minimize your 43 % current portfolio loss to 10-15 %. only problem is cannot tell the timeframe, maybe next week, next month, next year or 2015. As buffet said, time is a friend of good businesses (company's) and a enemy of mediocre ones.
btw - This is not an attractive option to me.    

2. Sell everything and cut your losses and invest in an FD and live happily ever after.

3. Sell everything and identify & invest in 2-3 super shares in order to recoup / recover your losses. This is an attractive option to me but only problem is what shares to invest ? thats the Rs 242,000 question !

For pt 3, you have the following options -

1. Avoid Plantations, Hotels, Retail, Manufacturing (only select)  and Banking sector stocks.

2. In Banking, Finance & Insurance sector, some possible good options are Comm Bank, NTB, CFIN, ALLI, CDB, JINS, & CINS (x).

3. Look for Undervalued Value shares trading at steep discounts to their intrinsic valuations - GUAR, CINV, RENU, CABO, CIT, CFI, COLO, LMF etc

4. Good Diversified company's at current levels - DIST, HEMAS, CFLB.

5. Speculative Hot shares where the trend is your friend maybe ? JKH, LLUB, CTC, CINS (x), NEST. (btw - i am not recommending these just stating the current trend).    

6. Select manufacturing & constructions shares that should do well in the future - AEL, TILE, TJL (?) etc

7. Select Hydropower company's according to Chinwi's wet year with super rainfall theory.

8. Speculatives shares as per Hariesha's list.

Above is not a comprehensive list but some that came to mind. I think your current 19 share porfolio will even underform a potential Bull run in the future. so switching to 2-3 shares in above category of stocks which are at reasonable current valuations.

12Need an advice Empty Re: Need an advice Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:34 pm

rainmaker


Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics
Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics
You have lost a lot of money in sri lankan terms.....

But hey I have lost more on cars Wink 

I think if you look at that portfolio. If you had every thing you have now at the current trading price, you would be looking quite good.

So what you do, sell everything and buy it all back???

13Need an advice Empty Re: Need an advice Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:37 pm

Dileepa


Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
For your invested amount, I feel like you have too many counters.
Let me guess.. You did not monitor your PF for a long time right?
Other wise you could not have ended with a disaster like this.
Seriously with 95% loss, why are you holding PCH?
Just get rid of shares like this and concentrate on value counters.
From your list, I know only about NTB and ODEL. Both are good.
Sell some of loss making shares and average your quality holdings.

14Need an advice Empty Re: Need an advice Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:42 pm

Kithsiri

Kithsiri
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics

@Dileepa wrote: Sell some of loss making shares and average your quality holdings.
Yes, this is what you should do now and I may add UBC too to the list.

15Need an advice Empty Re: Need an advice Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:57 pm

prasadrmb

prasadrmb
Manager - Equity Analytics
Manager - Equity Analytics
It is true that I didn't look at the market for long time. I was not engage with the market.
Hence, dip of some shares were not noticed.


16Need an advice Empty Re: Need an advice Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:10 pm

Leon


Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics
Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics
@The Alchemist wrote:@prasadrmb

I think you have too many (number) of shares for your portfolio size. 19. reviewing your cost in hindsight, your cost prices are above their intrinsic values for most of these shares except for perhaps NTB & LGL.

your options are as follows -

1. Do nothing. when & if the "Bull" returns, a rising tide will lift all ships and hopefully you will minimize your 43 % current portfolio loss to 10-15 %. only problem is cannot tell the timeframe, maybe next week, next month, next year or 2015. As buffet said, time is a friend of good businesses (company's) and a enemy of mediocre ones.
btw - This is not an attractive option to me.    

2. Sell everything and cut your losses and invest in an FD and live happily ever after.

3. Sell everything and identify & invest in 2-3 super shares in order to recoup / recover your losses. This is an attractive option to me but only problem is what shares to invest ? thats the Rs 242,000 question !

For pt 3, you have the following options -

1. Avoid Plantations, Hotels, Retail, Manufacturing (only select)  and Banking sector stocks.

2. In Banking, Finance & Insurance sector, some possible good options are Comm Bank, NTB, CFIN, ALLI, CDB, JINS, & CINS (x).

3. Look for Undervalued Value shares trading at steep discounts to their intrinsic valuations - GUAR, CINV, RENU, CABO, CIT, CFI, COLO, LMF etc

4. Good Diversified company's at current levels - DIST, HEMAS, CFLB.

5. Speculative Hot shares where the trend is your friend maybe ? JKH, LLUB, CTC, CINS (x), NEST. (btw - i am not recommending these just stating the current trend).    

6. Select manufacturing & constructions shares that should do well in the future - AEL, TILE, TJL (?) etc

7. Select Hydropower company's according to Chinwi's wet year with super rainfall theory.

8. Speculatives shares as per Hariesha's list.

Above is not a comprehensive list but some that came to mind. I think your current 19 share porfolio will even underform a potential Bull run in the future. so switching to 2-3 shares in above category of stocks which are at reasonable current valuations.

The Alchemist, In point 2 Why HNB is not there ?? Any particular reason??

17Need an advice Empty Re: Need an advice Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:37 pm

hawklk


Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
According to my ASPI data it is showing a up trend (atleast starting to show). If this were to continue then you can reduce your losses.
You need to keep monitoring....after all it is your money. I hope this is not on credit.

Like to know what the experts think.....

18Need an advice Empty Re: Need an advice Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:49 pm

The Alchemist


Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
@Leon wrote:
@The Alchemist wrote:@prasadrmb


2. In Banking, Finance & Insurance sector, some possible good options are Comm Bank, NTB, CFIN, ALLI, CDB, JINS, & CINS (x).

.

The Alchemist, In point 2 Why HNB is not there ?? Any particular reason??

@ Leon - No particular reason. just trying to figure out the best. (Actually i should also omit NTB as CFIN gives good exposure to NTB anyways).  
Comm Bank is the best Commercial Bank in Sri-Lanka. Period. Preferred choice for all the best companies as clients too. Just following the Big Boys / Smart Money. Carsons Investment Companies (CINV & GUAR), JB Cocoshell, Captain, Ravi Thambiyah, etc. They are all buying Comm Bank.

19Need an advice Empty Re: Need an advice Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:53 pm

prasadrmb

prasadrmb
Manager - Equity Analytics
Manager - Equity Analytics
Thanks all for your valuable comments.

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum