FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» McDonald’s අපේ නෙමෙයි අපේ බෝස්ගේ – අබාන්ස් කියයි
by ChooBoy Today at 10:19 am

» AI Assistance for Stock Market Research and Analysis
by ChatGPT Today at 7:12 am

» Comparative Analysis of the Insurance Sector
by God Father Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:46 pm

» Sri Lanka: Why Pay Exorbitant Taxes?
by ChatGPT Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:52 pm

» LANKA CREDIT AND BUSINESS FINANCE PLC (LCBF.N0000)
by K.R Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:15 pm

» CENTRAL INDUSTRIES PLC (CIND.N0000)
by D.G.Dayaratne Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:11 am

» SIYAPATHA FINANACE PLC (SLFL.N0000)
by ChatGPT Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:58 am

» FINANCE AND LEASING SECTOR
by ChatGPT Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:45 am

» LOLC FINANCE PLC (LOFC.N0000)
by ChatGPT Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:36 am

» CIC HOLDINGS PLC (CIC.N0000)
by ChatGPT Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:18 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ChatGPT Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:15 am

» First Capital Holdings PLC: Current Financial performance and future outlook
by God Father Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:58 pm

» LankaBizz: Sri Lanka's First ever Artificially Intelligent (AI) Business and Research Assistant
by God Father Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:27 am

» HOTEL AND TRAVEL SECTOR
by ErangaDS Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:22 am

» CIC Holdings Good Times Ahead
by ashan silva Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:00 am

» EPF Fund keep eye on low P/E Shares
by K.R Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:45 am

» SINS - the Tailwind effects of a crisis hit Economy
by Hawk Eye Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:37 am

» Ceylon cold stores
by Hawk Eye Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:25 am

» Asha securities Provide buy signal for CIC
by ddrperera Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:10 am

» CSE ready for another Downtrend?
by D.G.Dayaratne Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:24 am

» LankaLAW Forum : Sri Lanka’s #1 Discussion Platform for Legal Questions and Answers
by blindhog Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:14 am

» Sri Lanka poised to benefit from demand surge for ‘non-China origin’ graphite
by samaritan Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:31 pm

» LOLC hotels
by Maharaja Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:34 pm

» AEL target price ?
by suku502 Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:26 am

» WAPO 200% UP
by LAMDA Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:33 pm

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

Disclaimer
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

The information contained in this FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ have been submitted by third parties directly without any verification by us. The information available in this forum is not researched or purported to be complete description of the subject matter referred to herein. We do not under any circumstances whatsoever guarantee the accuracy and completeness information contained herein. FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not in any way be responsible or liable for loss or damage which any person or party may sustain or incur by relying on the contents of this report and acting directly or indirectly in any manner whatsoever. Trading or investing in stocks & commodities is a high risk activity. Any action you choose to take in the markets is totally your own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental damages or loss arising out of the use of this information. The information on this website is neither an offer to sell nor solicitation to buy any of the securities mentioned herein. The writers may or may not be trading in the securities mentioned.

Further the writers and users shall not induce or attempt to induce another person to trade in securities using this platform (a) by making or publishing any statement or by making any forecast that he knows to be misleading, false or deceptive; (b) by any dishonest concealment of material facts; (c) by the reckless making or publishing, dishonestly or otherwise of any statement or forecast that is misleading, false or deceptive; or (d) by recording or storing in, or by means of, any mechanical, electronic or other device, information that he knows to be false or misleading in a material particular. Any action writers and users take in respect of (a),(b),(c) and (d) above shall be their own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental violation of securities laws of any country, damages or loss arising out of the use of this information.

AI Live Chat

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bank/Fin Merger hype Warning

+14
slrkman
The Alchemist
Gaja
malanp
K.Haputantri
Redbulls
wandi
dhanurrox
mark
seek
KDDND
Lawwa
Aubrey Perera
Slstock
18 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

21Bank/Fin Merger hype Warning   - Page 2 Empty Re: Bank/Fin Merger hype Warning Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:29 pm

KDDND

Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics

wandi wrote:hi ,this is my first post in this forum. Hope these thoughts of other members will be informative for my decision making.

i entered to the mkt yesterday.my first buyin was sfin at 13.30 as my broker recommended.he was so confident that it will pass 20 soon. so bought 25000.
love you everyone..

Welcomem wandi!
I think ur entry is OK but close to GOOD....
But b very careful..... not in loving to broker..... but in listening to their advice.....
its is their job.... this is your part time work....
Always think twice when u invest your money.....
lucky u entered to market when it is in up trend.....
but it may not stay in up trend so long.....
so listen to many other people....
there some good and nice and intelligent people in this forum... but not all OK
hee hee I am also not in that group....  Wink 
Have a good and pleasant journey in CSE!  I love you  Embarassed 

22Bank/Fin Merger hype Warning   - Page 2 Empty Re: Bank/Fin Merger hype Warning Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:19 am

Slstock

Director - Equity Analytics

Btw, here is hidden fact I forgot to mention about GSF.

IF GSF adjusts in price massively, ASI is going to take a hit.
So there is Political balance need to figure.

Will there be "relaxations" to accommodate GSF I don;t know.

How GSF is handled will be interesting to watch in this merger hype.

All i know is this,
somehow 1.2 Bil asset company is trading in the market for over 10 Billion!
While I see a 29 billion asset company is trading at 2.7 Billion!!!

Wonder of CSE.

Still fundamental are not showing that much at CSE ( though very much better than 2011)

23Bank/Fin Merger hype Warning   - Page 2 Empty Re: Bank/Fin Merger hype Warning Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:08 am

K.Haputantri

Co-Admin

slstock wrote:Btw, here is hidden fact I forgot to mention about GSF.

IF GSF adjusts in price massively,  ASI is going to take a hit.
So there  is   Political balance  need to figure.

How GSF is handled will be  interesting to watch  in this merger hype.

All i know is this,

Wonder of CSE.

Still fundamental are not showing that much at CSE ( though very much better than 2011)

Its strange. To keep GSF at current level some one must pour in money or undertake related party transactions again costing money for transaction costs etc? ?Where this money come from.

24Bank/Fin Merger hype Warning   - Page 2 Empty Re: Bank/Fin Merger hype Warning Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:19 am

Slstock

Looking at Assets/ Capital ( and if this CB regulation is serious with no loop holes for companies like GSF) they have no option but to merge or sell out. s

Related party share transfer will not do right?

K.Haputantri wrote:

All i know is this,

Wonder of CSE.

Its strange. To keep GSF at current level some one must pour in money or undertake related party transactions again costing money for transaction costs etc? ?Where this money come from.

25Bank/Fin Merger hype Warning   - Page 2 Empty Re: Bank/Fin Merger hype Warning Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:16 pm

malanp

Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

K.Haputantri wrote:

All i know is this,

Wonder of CSE.

GSF monthly share trading is just half million ruppees,

for 6m annual share trading brokerage is just above Rs.60,000.

very low cost to maintain at 10b market capitalization.

26Bank/Fin Merger hype Warning   - Page 2 Empty Re: Bank/Fin Merger hype Warning Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:57 pm

Gaja

Associate Director - Equity Analytics

AMF also having the similar issue isn't It?

27Bank/Fin Merger hype Warning   - Page 2 Empty Re: Bank/Fin Merger hype Warning Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:06 pm

Slstock

Slstock

Well AMF is trading around Rs 350. NAV is around 126 , and EPS will be over Rs 25. So it is trading rather fairly compared to some. Public holding is only about 10% though.

Gaja wrote:AMF also having the similar issue isn't It?

28Bank/Fin Merger hype Warning   - Page 2 Empty Re: Bank/Fin Merger hype Warning Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:20 pm

Gaja

Yes, also last year final divided and this time interim one also good, need to wait and see what they intend to do in the future

29Bank/Fin Merger hype Warning   - Page 2 Empty Re: Bank/Fin Merger hype Warning Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:27 pm

The Alchemist

@slstock - timely post. hype is the right word. after a long time, brokers have a "merger" story to sell and the retail traders are speculating on a favourable outcome to all this. so far so good as many of the lower rung finance companies have gone up significantly and traders have been rewarded.

The thing to keep in mind is these combinations / mergers are like arranged marriages (almost by force ?) and not love marriages. this is been done mainly to protect deposit holders of the weaker institutions. so stronger institutions will have to absorb weaker institutions, by way of share swap or cash, and based on the nett assets principal. since many of the lower tier finance companies are trading at a premium to net assets, the shareholders of these may get a rude shock when & if these mergers take place.

also note that it is possible to pay a higher price than nett assets by recognising goodwill i.e. paying a higher amount for synergy, branch network, locations, new markets etc. In COCR case, the private placement is done at nearly 3 times NAV but at a relatively low P/E (7 times).  

another possibility is that the stronger institutions paying a higher than nett assets amount via share swap / cash and are compensated by tax incentives by the central bank, for doing so.
in some instances like (TFC) for eg, with negative nett assets, goodwill maybe recognised or revaluation of real estate portfolio done and incentives offered to potential buyer.  

it is no point paying a premium on net assets on weaker finance institutions unless their earnings growth or p/e multiple warrants it. paying a premium for a weak finance company trading at a high Price to Book ratio and high P/E multiple and hoping to gain in a merger with a stronger bank / finance company (through share swap or cash mandatory offer) may be wishful thinking or pure speculation.

ironically, some of the more fundamentally undervalued companies in this sector, i.e. the perceived stronger institutions, like CFIN, ALLI, CDB, LFIN, VFIN, PLC etc have not seen much movement (CDB maybe exception to the case).  

This may also not be the best year for banks / finance companies due to declining interest rates and the fact that many locked onto fairly high borrowing rates via debentures, causing a mismatch in their borrowing / loan portfolios.

i am afraid a mini bubble in this sector is being / will be created, led by the retail speculative, broker herded crowd  and will burst when expectations are not met in reality. this could negatively impact the overall market, as we have seen before.

30Bank/Fin Merger hype Warning   - Page 2 Empty Re: Bank/Fin Merger hype Warning Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:01 am

Slstock

Slstock

I am still not sure who is behind the foreign established fund who wants to buy COCR ;-) . There is much rumors behind COCR and management. I won't mention such details as I don't know the truth.,

Anyway , like you said, it is okay for aquirer to pay multiple times NAV, if is it a solid company making healthy cash profits, trading at good PEs. Else some of these other shares are making runs to be over valued and will be left high and dry with need set of traders who buy high in trouble.

I am still wondering what will happen to SFS ( here is another shaky one , which I hinted above) if Pawnees ( not an Indian Tribe) default!! Even scared to look at their portfolio with massive amount of Loans given on Gold , and what will happen if people default. This merger might be a god send for them.

Sadly so far Category A companies , ( except COCR) which really deserves a run, has not increased in price so far. Some of them have room to double in price fundamentally but .....

Btw, I thought CB already said there will be Tax incentives for Aqcuirer companies.

Your observation on Debentures should be noted. Specially if small companies who gave debentures at high rates in bog amounts need to be very careful.

This merger has + and -. So be educated folks.

[quote="The Alchemist"].

The Alchemist wrote:@slstock - timely post. hype is the right word. after a long time, brokers have a "merger" story to sell and the retail traders are speculating on a favourable outcome to all this. so far so good as many of the lower rung finance companies have gone up significantly and traders have been rewarded.

The thing to keep in mind is these combinations / mergers are like arranged marriages (almost by force ?) and not love marriages. this is been done mainly to protect deposit holders of the weaker institutions. so stronger institutions will have to absorb weaker institutions, by way of share swap or cash, and based on the nett assets principal. since many of the lower tier finance companies are trading at a premium to net assets, the shareholders of these may get a rude shock when & if these mergers take place.

also note that it is possible to pay a higher price than nett assets by recognising goodwill i.e. paying a higher amount for synergy, branch network, locations, new markets etc. In COCR case, the private placement is done at nearly 3 times NAV but at a relatively low P/E (7 times).  

another possibility is that the stronger institutions paying a higher than nett assets amount via share swap / cash and are compensated by tax incentives by the central bank, for doing so.
in some instances like (TFC) for eg, with negative nett assets, goodwill maybe recognised or revaluation of real estate portfolio done and incentives offered to potential buyer.  

it is no point paying a premium on net assets on weaker finance institutions unless their earnings growth or p/e multiple warrants it. paying a premium for a weak finance company trading at a high Price to Book ratio and high P/E multiple and hoping to gain in a merger with a stronger bank / finance company (through share swap or cash mandatory offer) may be wishful thinking or pure speculation.

ironically, some of the more fundamentally undervalued companies in this sector, i.e. the perceived stronger institutions, like CFIN, ALLI, CDB, LFIN, VFIN, PLC etc have not seen much movement (CDB maybe exception to the case).  

This may also not be the best year for banks / finance companies due to declining interest rates and the fact that many locked onto fairly high borrowing rates via debentures, causing a mismatch in their borrowing / loan portfolios.

i am afraid a mini bubble in this sector is being / will be created, led by the retail speculative, broker herded crowd  and will burst when expectations are not met in reality. this could negatively impact the overall market, as we have seen before.

31Bank/Fin Merger hype Warning   - Page 2 Empty Re: Bank/Fin Merger hype Warning Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:44 pm

Slstock

Slstock

AFSL now trading at premium values to intrinsic.

32Bank/Fin Merger hype Warning   - Page 2 Empty Re: Bank/Fin Merger hype Warning Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:16 pm

slrkman

Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic

Very true slstock

33Bank/Fin Merger hype Warning   - Page 2 Empty Re: Bank/Fin Merger hype Warning Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:28 pm

dhanurrox

Vice President - Equity Analytics

Whatever market condition this BLI thing is going up.today hit 35 too.Why I sold early, the shares I bout 17-18 rupees??100% return missed.

34Bank/Fin Merger hype Warning   - Page 2 Empty Re: Bank/Fin Merger hype Warning Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:02 pm

KDDND

KDDND

dhanurrox wrote:Whatever market condition this BLI  thing is  going up.today hit 35 too.Why I sold early, the shares I bout 17-18 rupees??100% return missed.

market going down...
BIM puth going up

35Bank/Fin Merger hype Warning   - Page 2 Empty Re: Bank/Fin Merger hype Warning Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:50 pm

Slstock

Slstock

Interesting read/opinion as many facts are true I think.

"He strongly urged that the decision as to which banks or finance companies should merge should not be determined by the Central Bank or any other authority but by the institution and its shareholders."

more at

http://island.lk/index.php?page_cat=article-details&page=article-details&code_title=97488

36Bank/Fin Merger hype Warning   - Page 2 Empty Re: Bank/Fin Merger hype Warning Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:33 pm

D.G.Dayaratne

Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics

Pl read the article of Eran w

It not a statement of Opposition M P. But real constructive

criticism by an independent Economist

But the problem is no one to give hearing

Civil society organization are very week

37Bank/Fin Merger hype Warning   - Page 2 Empty Re: Bank/Fin Merger hype Warning Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:32 pm

KDDND

KDDND

Eran point of view is wise and good for strength vise for the country!

38Bank/Fin Merger hype Warning   - Page 2 Empty Re: Bank/Fin Merger hype Warning Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:32 am

Slstock

Slstock

Hmm, illiquid BLI is Rs 40+ now while CDB.X is Rs 38.

BLI NAV about 14
CDB NAV is 60

When the times comes .. any share can have its day ;-)

39Bank/Fin Merger hype Warning   - Page 2 Empty Re: Bank/Fin Merger hype Warning Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:55 pm

jonta999

jonta999

oVER TO YOU gILL MART,

cAN yOU produce a GEM like this?

40Bank/Fin Merger hype Warning   - Page 2 Empty Re: Bank/Fin Merger hype Warning Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:01 pm

fairinvestor

Stock Analytic
Stock Analytic

Where have all the good ones gone, long time passing?
Where have all the good ones gone, long time ago?
Where have all the good ones gone?
----- have picked them everyone.
Oh, when will they ever learn?
Oh, when will they ever learn?

41Bank/Fin Merger hype Warning   - Page 2 Empty Re: Bank/Fin Merger hype Warning Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:14 pm

Aubrey Perera

signs of things to come I reckon , look out for the counters that are lagging behind. I wonder what the closed door disclosures are though eg. CFL ran today but we don't know what their plans are. I think if we get behind certain counters we can make some millions in the next few weeks. GL some games have also started with certain other counters eneter at the right time and exit at the right time Merry christmas everyone.

42Bank/Fin Merger hype Warning   - Page 2 Empty Re: Bank/Fin Merger hype Warning Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:58 pm

mdcpk1975

Manager - Equity Analytics
Manager - Equity Analytics

VFIN, LFIN is yet to start the run. Could see little bit of collection last week...Compared to already moved up counters like CFL, TFIL, UBC, Etc ...better buy safe and sound shares like VFIN and LFIN

43Bank/Fin Merger hype Warning   - Page 2 Empty Re: Bank/Fin Merger hype Warning Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:08 pm

Aubrey Perera

I own TFIL and it might be small but it's financials are quite sound to me. They should have done well this quarter as well. Let's see.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum