FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Submit PostSubmit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

CHRONICLE™ NEWS PRODUCTS

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Views & Reviews, Analysis, Evaluations, Discussions, Gossip and Hot Tips relating to Sri Lankan companies listed on the Colombo Stock Exchange (CSE)
Contribute

DAILY CHRONICLE™

Latest news and articles published in Newspapers, Websites, Blogs and other online news sites relating to business and investments in Sri Lanka
Contribute

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE™

This is a section that provide news, views, analysis, predications relating to Political and Socio-Economic factors and how such activities affect the Stock Market and other economic activity of the Country.

Contribute

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

This is an exclusive section for Expert Articles which will help member to share knowledge through comments and responses of the members. All members are allowed to reply and make comments to these articles.

Contribute

Submit Post

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

Youtube Videos and other visual presentations relating Stock market and other investment advise submitted by members or other contributors.

Contribute

Submit Post

කොළඔ කොටස් වෙළඳපොළේ වංශකථාව
කොළඔ කොටස් වෙළඳපොළේ ලැයිස්තුගත සමාගම් කොටස් ගැන තොරතුරු¸විශ්ලේෂණ¸සාකච්ඡා¸ කටකතා¸රසකතා යන සියල්ල අපේම සිංහලෙන් කතා කළ හැකි ‘කතා මණ්ඩපය’

Contribute

Twitter Feeds
POPULAR COMPANIES
A

ABANS ELECTRICALS PLC

ACCESS ENGINEERING PLC Hot

ACL CABLES PLC

ACL PLASTICS PLC

ACME PRINTING & PACKAGING PLC

AGSTAR PLC

AITKEN SPENCE HOTEL HOLDINGS PLC

AITKEN SPENCE PLC

ANILANA HOTELS AND PROPERTIES PLC

ARPICO INSURANCE PLC

ASIA ASSET FINANCE PLC

ASIA CAPITAL PLC

B

BAIRAHA FARMS PLC

BALANGODA PLANTATIONS PLC

BIMPUTH FINANCE PLC

BLUE DIAMONDS JEWELLERY WORLDWIDE PLC

B P P L HOLDINGS PLC

BROWNS BEACH HOTELS PLC

BROWNS INVESTMENTS PLC

C

CARGO BOAT DEVELOPMENT COMPANY PLC

CENTRAL INDUSTRIES PLC

CEYLON COLD STORES PLC

CEYLON GRAIN ELEVATORS PLC Hot

CEYLON TEA BROKERS PLC

CEYLON TOBACCO COMPANY PLC

CHEVRON LUBRICANTS LANKA PLC

COLOMBO FORT LAND & BUILDING PLC

COMMERCIAL BANK OF CEYLON PLC

CITRUS LEISURE PLC Hot

COMMERCIAL CREDIT AND FINANCE PLC

D

DANKOTUWA PORCELAIN PLC

DFCC BANK PLC

DIALOG AXIATA PLC

DIALOG FINANCE PLC

DIPPED PRODUCTS PLC

DISTILLERIES COMPANY OF SRI LANKA PLC

DUNAMIS CAPITAL PLC

E

EAST WEST PROPERTIES PLC Hot

EASTERN MERCHANTS PLC

EXPOLANKA HOLDINGS PLC

E-CHANNELLING PLC

F

FIRST CAPITAL HOLDINGS PLC

G

GALADARI HOTELS (LANKA) PLC

GUARDIAN CAPITAL PARTNERS PLC

H

HATTON NATIONAL BANK PLC

HAYLEYS PLC

HAYLEYS FABRIC PLC

HAYLEYS FIBRE PLC Hot

HEMAS HOLDINGS PLC

HIKKADUWA BEACH RESORT PLC

HNB ASSURANCE PLC

HVA FOODS PLC

J

JANASHAKTHI INSURANCE COMPANY PLC

JOHN KEELLS HOLDINGS PLC Hot

JOHN KEELLS HOTELS PLC

L

LANKA ASHOK LEYLAND PLC

LANKA IOC PLC

LANKEM CEYLON PLC

LANKEM DEVELOPMENTS PLC

LAUGFS GAS PLC

LAUGFS POWER LIMITED

LOLC FINANCE PLC

LOLC HOLDINGS PLC

LUCKY LANKA MILK PROCESSING COMPANY PLC

M

MELSTACORP PLC

N

NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT BANK PLC

NATION LANKA FINANCE PLC

NESTLE LANKA PLC

O

ORIENT FINANCE PLC

OVERSEAS REALTY (CEYLON) PLC

P

PANASIAN POWER PLC

PEOPLE'S LEASING & FINANCE PLC

PIRAMAL GLASS CEYLON PLC

PRIME FINANCE PLC

R

RAIGAM WAYAMBA SALTERNS PLC

RENUKA AGRI FOODS PLC

RENUKA CAPITAL PLC

RENUKA HOLDINGS PLC

RICHARD PIERIS AND COMPANY PLC

RICHARD PIERIS EXPORTS PLC Hot

ROYAL CERAMICS PLC

S

SAMPATH BANK PLC

SEYLAN BANK PLC

SIERRA CABLES PLC

SINGHE HOSPITALS PLC Hot

SMB LEASING PLC

SOFTLOGIC HOLDINGS PLC

SOFTLOGIC LIFE INSURANCE PLC

SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC

SWISSTEK (CEYLON) PLC Hot

T

TEEJAY LANKA PLC

TESS AGRO PLC

THREE ACRE FARMS PLC

TOKYO CEMENT COMPANY (LANKA) PLC Hot

U

UNION BANK OF COLOMBO PLC

V

VALLIBEL FINANCE PLC

VALLIBEL ONE PLC Hot

VALLIBEL POWER ERATHNA PLC

W

WASKADUWA BEACH RESORT PLC

You are not connected. Please login or register

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ » FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ » Mistakes we have done @ CSE.

Mistakes we have done @ CSE.

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

21Mistakes we have done @ CSE. - Page 2 Empty Re: Mistakes we have done @ CSE. Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:58 am

serene

Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic
@Leon wrote:
@serene wrote:
@Leon wrote:
@serene wrote:To be honest with you I guess I able to minimise several mistakes by taking the advise of senior members of this forum which i probably might have done had not i follow the forum.... Specially the advise of SLSstock.Thanks and Cheers....

So elaborate on that mate. Then we all can learn something.

Initially as a new comer i was chasing short term profits. My favorite counters were PAP, AAF, FLCH, CITK, CITW, BIL, CITK ,EXPO,HVA,LDEV,PCH, TESS but i got loss from the most of the mentioned counters.Now i don't have any of the above and now my PF consist of PLC, JKH, COMB, HNB, LIOC, WATA, SAMP and i only concern in buying and holding and i started invest 10% of my income ( Salary and Bonuses) in above counters.I'm happy to say that even i'm not so much concern about profit most of my counters are now @ profit. Thanks..

Me too have some of the shares you have. Even though those shares dip in red, I don't feel much panic. But if you are on credit, it is scary.

No leon. I'm Not at Credit.  Cheers.....

22Mistakes we have done @ CSE. - Page 2 Empty Re: Mistakes we have done @ CSE. Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:51 pm

seyon

Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics
@yellow knife wrote:I started investing in 2006 and the only great mistake from my past was inability to decide when to sell/exit.

Timing is when superb factor to be the star player. Always my entry time was perfect. But my exit time of a share was not perfect.

The worst experience was selling of EAST during the market peak era. That what should have been my great mistake. Anyway from todays point of view it would have been many times better to dispose EAST at 29.50  

No one can decide the point of exit,  if the stock is in the bull trend, we ll continuously expect the price to go up that our mentality, we can't blame us also, that is nature of human-being. It was happened to me during 2010 & 2011 I collected LCEY 190 to 200, it starts to moving up, finally it went up to 480 or 460 ( I can't remember the peak price) I was very happy, and too greedy also... I thought it will move further, my broker also in same view. I was holding but it starts its down trend finally i sold it @ 350 ( i suppose). So these all in the game so don't take as mistake this good learning for us.

23Mistakes we have done @ CSE. - Page 2 Empty Re: Mistakes we have done @ CSE. Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:19 pm

Leon

@seyon wrote:
@yellow knife wrote:I started investing in 2006 and the only great mistake from my past was inability to decide when to sell/exit.

Timing is when superb factor to be the star player. Always my entry time was perfect. But my exit time of a share was not perfect.

The worst experience was selling of EAST during the market peak era. That what should have been my great mistake. Anyway from todays point of view it would have been many times better to dispose EAST at 29.50  

No one can decide the point of exit,  if the stock is in the bull trend, we ll continuously expect the price to go up that our mentality, we can't blame us also, that is nature of human-being. It was happened to me during 2010 & 2011 I collected LCEY 190 to 200, it starts to moving up, finally it went up to 480 or 460 ( I can't remember the peak price) I was very happy, and too greedy also... I thought it will move further, my broker also in same view. I was holding but it starts its down trend finally i sold it @ 350 ( i suppose). So these all in the game so don't take as mistake this good learning for us.
Still you are fine no. I have some HNB avg around112.00. It went to 127.00 last week or so. I didn't dispose hoping for the dividend. Will see I also make the same mistake?

24Mistakes we have done @ CSE. - Page 2 Empty Re: Mistakes we have done @ CSE. Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:57 am

Jana1

@ADP wrote:Friends this is what i have learnt so far and try to practice.

Buying on credit. I have made most of the my losses when I have got into a trade without the ability to hold. Even if you make a mistake with a trade you should be able to decide when to cut your losses without having your broker push you off a cliff. Unless you have a facility or agreement with your broker be very careful on how you play with credit.

Spend some time. Spend a lot of time before you make your decision to enter into a trade. It doesn’t matter if you trade in fundamentals or “crap” shares you should know as much as you can before you buy. Spend some time researching, the more you know about what you are getting into  will help your decision making down the line.

Don’t jump in with both feet and eyes closed. Just because someone tells you some fabulous news on some stock if you believe him on his word alone it wont be too long before you see your money wiped out. Remember in this game information is king and what is new news to you may have been hatched months or even years before it reaches you. At one time out of desperation I liquidated 2/3 of what I had to follow a sure shot deal from my broker. I almost got wiped out with that deal.

An exit strategy is as important as an entry strategy. How much money do you want to make from each trade and how much can you afford to lose, these are questions you should have firm answers to. this has helped me deal with the emotional seesaw of greed and fear.

Educate your self on the tools of the game. when you are starting out learn as much as you can about fundamental analysis ,charts, technical analysis . understated that demand and supply on a stock has a lot to do with where a stock will go. Demand can be created with rumor or performance and supply comes with who currently holds the stock( will they offload easily).A stocks path may not always be defined in these but at least you can get a glimpse of what the big boys are looking at.

Try to understand how things are interrelated. Stocks dont perform in isolation, there are many other factors to consider. whats the effect on foreign inflow/outflow, what is the effect on government policy to the economy, sector, company, what is the effect on interest rates, what are the business cycles.  

Have a strong enough reason(s) to enter into a trade, and don’t exit the trade unless the reason you got into the trade has changed or the entire landscape has changed .    
Good one mate...

25Mistakes we have done @ CSE. - Page 2 Empty Re: Mistakes we have done @ CSE. Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:37 pm

ADP

Manager - Equity Analytics
@Jana1 wrote:

Buying on credit. I have made most of the my losses when I have got into a trade without the ability to hold. Even if you make a mistake with a trade you should be able to decide when to cut your losses without having your broker push you off a cliff. Unless you have a facility or agreement with your broker be very careful on how you play with credit.

Spend some time. Spend a lot of time before you make your decision to enter into a trade. It doesn’t matter if you trade in fundamentals or “crap” shares you should know as much as you can before you buy. Spend some time researching, the more you know about what you are getting into  will help your decision making down the line.

Don’t jump in with both feet and eyes closed. Just because someone tells you some fabulous news on some stock if you believe him on his word alone it wont be too long before you see your money wiped out. Remember in this game information is king and what is new news to you may have been hatched months or even years before it reaches you. At one time out of desperation I liquidated 2/3 of what I had to follow a sure shot deal from my broker. I almost got wiped out with that deal.

An exit strategy is as important as an entry strategy. How much money do you want to make from each trade and how much can you afford to lose, these are questions you should have firm answers to. this has helped me deal with the emotional seesaw of greed and fear.

Educate your self on the tools of the game. when you are starting out learn as much as you can about fundamental analysis ,charts, technical analysis . understated that demand and supply on a stock has a lot to do with where a stock will go. Demand can be created with rumor or performance and supply comes with who currently holds the stock( will they offload easily).A stocks path may not always be defined in these but at least you can get a glimpse of what the big boys are looking at.

Try to understand how things are interrelated. Stocks dont perform in isolation, there are many other factors to consider. whats the effect on foreign inflow/outflow, what is the effect on government policy to the economy, sector, company, what is the effect on interest rates, what are the business cycles.  

Have a strong enough reason(s) to enter into a trade, and don’t exit the trade unless the reason you got into the trade has changed or the entire landscape has changed .    
Good one mate...

Thanks Jana Smile

26Mistakes we have done @ CSE. - Page 2 Empty Re: Mistakes we have done @ CSE. Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:29 pm

Jeremy

Jeremy

Good one bro. We should all be following this.

27Mistakes we have done @ CSE. - Page 2 Empty Re: Mistakes we have done @ CSE. Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:39 pm

ADP

ADP
GMNet wrote:

Good one bro. We should all be following this.

Thanks GMnet

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum