FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» LOLC FINANCE PLC (LOFC.N0000)
by Equity Win Today at 2:17 pm

» SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC (SLTL.N0000)
by sureshot Today at 7:42 am

» Construction Sector Boom with Purchasing manager's indices
by rukshan1234 Yesterday at 11:24 pm

» Asha Securities and Asia Securities Target AEL (Access Enginnering PLC )
by Anushka Perz Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:30 pm

» Sri Lanka: China EXIM Bank Debt Moratorium to End in April 2024
by DeepFreakingValue Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:22 pm

» Uncertainty over impending elections could risk Lanka’s economic recovery: ADB
by God Father Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:47 pm

» Sri Lanka's Debt Restructuring Hits Roadblock with Bondholders
by God Father Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:42 pm

» BROWN'S INVESTMENTS SHOULD CONSIDER BUYING BITCOIN
by ADVENTUS Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:48 pm

» Bank run leading the way in 2024
by bkasun Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:21 pm

» ACCESS ENGINEERING PLC (AEL) Will pass IPO Price of Rs 25 ?????
by blindhog Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:44 am

» ASPI: Undoing GR/Covid19!
by DeepFreakingValue Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:25 am

» Learn CSE Rules and Regulations with the help of AI Assistant
by ChatGPT Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:47 am

» Top AI tools in Sri Lanka
by ChatGPT Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:21 am

» HDFC- Best ever profit reported in 2023
by ApolloCSE Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:43 pm

» WAPO 200% UP
by LAMDA Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:41 pm

» KEGALLE PLANTATIONS PLC (KGAL.N0000)
by DeepFreakingValue Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:04 pm

» ARPICO INSURANCE PLC - Reports LKR 625mn loss for the FY2023
by DeepFreakingValue Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:58 pm

» EXTERMINATORS PLC (EXT.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:59 am

» ALLIANCE FINANCE COMPANY PLC (ALLI.N0000)
by SL-INVESTOR Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:29 am

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by Anushka Perz Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:50 pm

» PINS (People's Insurance) will be another UAL
by sakuni Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:22 pm

» A New Record Price for One Tonne of Cocoa on the International Market
by ResearchMan Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:03 pm

» Access Engineering awarded two more contract packages at Colombo Port
by samansilva Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:05 pm

» FMCG Sector LMF, MEL and DIST
by buwr Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:35 am

» CEYLON GUARDIAN INVESTMENT TRUST PLC (GUAR)
by soileconomy Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:00 am

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

Disclaimer
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

The information contained in this FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ have been submitted by third parties directly without any verification by us. The information available in this forum is not researched or purported to be complete description of the subject matter referred to herein. We do not under any circumstances whatsoever guarantee the accuracy and completeness information contained herein. FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not in any way be responsible or liable for loss or damage which any person or party may sustain or incur by relying on the contents of this report and acting directly or indirectly in any manner whatsoever. Trading or investing in stocks & commodities is a high risk activity. Any action you choose to take in the markets is totally your own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental damages or loss arising out of the use of this information. The information on this website is neither an offer to sell nor solicitation to buy any of the securities mentioned herein. The writers may or may not be trading in the securities mentioned.

Further the writers and users shall not induce or attempt to induce another person to trade in securities using this platform (a) by making or publishing any statement or by making any forecast that he knows to be misleading, false or deceptive; (b) by any dishonest concealment of material facts; (c) by the reckless making or publishing, dishonestly or otherwise of any statement or forecast that is misleading, false or deceptive; or (d) by recording or storing in, or by means of, any mechanical, electronic or other device, information that he knows to be false or misleading in a material particular. Any action writers and users take in respect of (a),(b),(c) and (d) above shall be their own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental violation of securities laws of any country, damages or loss arising out of the use of this information.

AI Live Chat

You are not connected. Please login or register

Massive forced selling by margin traders

+23
cse_investor
Academic
limestone
duke
mono
seyon
jaya
Chinwi
rajithasamaranayake
Gaja
Rajitha
Aamiable
wiki
Sampath.Jayawardhana
xhora
tubal
Antonym
Pira
Rstock
StocksWatch
wis
swan03
Monster
27 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Massive forced selling by margin traders Empty Massive forced selling by margin traders Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:50 pm

Monster

Monster
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics

Just look at the article by lbo today.

http://www.lbo.lk/fullstory.php?nid=771118604

As per the article, the reason for the massive drop in the market is due to force selling. Did any got this message from your broker.

swan03

Vice President - Equity Analytics

It says "The poor performance of Expolanka will teach those who run after IPO’s a bitter lesson," Capital Trust Stockbrokers said in a research note.

Does this mean not to go after Vallibal one as well?

wis

Manager - Equity Analytics

I think in Australia they were also force selling today. Smile They have also broke some barrier and plummeted.

http://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/Aussie-market-big-slide-abc-743391939.html?x=0

StocksWatch

Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics

swan03 wrote:It says "The poor performance of Expolanka will teach those who run after IPO’s a bitter lesson," Capital Trust Stockbrokers said in a research note.

I don't think Expolanka experience should prevent investors going for IPO's in the future.

But this will force people to think twice before applying for forthcoming IPO's. There was a time when people believed investing in IPO's is almost zero risk as almost all IPO's easily recorded more than 10% gain on the first day of trading iteself, some actaully recorded exceptional gains over 25%.

I think from now on investors will seriously start analysing facts to verify if any IPO is worth investing at the price offered by the company. Expolanka IPO was obviously overpriced at Rs. 14 and now the investors are paying the price for subcribing to such an overpriced IPO.

So in summary IPO's are not bad, you need to take them case by case and decide if it is worth investing on a given IPO at the price offered. If you believe you can buy cheaper from the secondary market (as in the case of Expo), why you should block your money with the IPO for couple of months and then take the loss.

Rstock

Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

What is forced selling?

Pira

Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic

I've get the information from my brocker that asia securities had today force selling, also big clients were on the list, he told

wis

Pira wrote:I've get the information from my brocker that asia securities had today force selling, also big clients were on the list, he told

I think I've read the same thing about last Tuesday.

Pira

Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic

wis wrote:
Pira wrote:I've get the information from my brocker that asia securities had today force selling, also big clients were on the list, he told

I think I've read the same thing about last Tuesday.

but not from me

Antonym

Antonym

If it is any consolation, most stock markets in the world declined today. Only Brazil and Israel bucked the trend...

http://money.rediff.com/indices/world

tubal

Forced selling Bullshit!! I have never met anyone who has had his portfolio force sold, have you?

xhora

xhora
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

Antonym wrote:If it is any consolation, most stock markets in the world declined today. Only Brazil and Israel bucked the trend...

http://money.rediff.com/indices/world

Since when the BEST stock exchange in the world followed the rest
jocolor

Sampath.Jayawardhana

Stock Analytic
Stock Analytic

I can't understand why this so called forced selling has surfaced. Was it not there in the past?

wiki

tubal wrote:Forced selling Bullshit!! I have never met anyone who has had his portfolio force sold, have you?
need some explanation for the down turn. that is why this forced selling thing has come in to picture again

Aamiable

Sampath.Jayawardhana wrote:I can't understand why this so called forced selling has surfaced. Was it not there in the past?

Even if there is no force selling, they must be requesting to settle, I do not think it is such a serious issue like in the past, as there were some relaxations. ...

Most of the firms do not have much to settle. ...When I asked, they said every thing would return to normal next week. I think this is a temporary issue.
Smile Smile

Rajitha

Rajitha

This is the same thing a forum full of idiots posted sometime back! This is the thing I said then,
lol! lol! lol! lol!

Last edited by Rajitha on Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Gaja

Associate Director - Equity Analytics

well this is what some brokers told me, but i could verify it, most of the retailers bought huge quantities of of selected stocks last week on the T + 5 basis, now most of them failed to settle, which lead for the force sales

tubal

Rajitha wrote:This is the same thing a forum full of idiots posted something like this !!
lol! lol! lol! lol!

As my old enemy Rajitha has pointed out. Every broker is saying that other brokers are forced selling but has it ever actually happened? Again as Wiki says this is being repeated over and over again ad nauseum as an excuse for the market decline.

I have only read two posts ever in this forum where someone actually said some of his portfolio was force sold. BUt there have been thousands of posts saying 'brokers are force selling.'. It's just bullshit.

Oh BTW, rajitha your -rep sure as hell isn't from me (but I must admit to having given you a few in the past Twisted Evil )

Aamiable

They must be politely requesting to settle T5. Every day they ask to settle.

rajithasamaranayake

Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic

One cannot hold on to his/her shares in the margin trading accounts indefinitely. You've got to settle your dues to Margin Traders. Obviously Margin Trade facilitators must be a worried lot..running out of patience with no signs of recovery. Our PER is still around 24 which is very high by any standard. Aitken Spence, JKH, Carsons, Aitken Spence Hotels, Cargills are still trading at higher prices compared to their earnings. To add to the woos penny stocks such as GREG, REEF, PAP, CLPL, DANKOTUWA, BLUE, DUNAMIS created or are creating havoc in the market. If I was providing margin trading facilities, I too would probably be reluctantly compelled to force sell to minimise losses

Chinwi

Chinwi

IPO

Many years ago, Initial Public Offerings gave newcomers a good platform to enter into the stock market.

Because of IPOs the ordinary people earned much needed money to play in the market with no fear of loosing their hard earned money.

( Hard earned money = cash you earned by working )

I can remember NDB was offered @ 50 and all the applicants got 500 shares. Due to its real value, at secondary market it traded @ 250 and later 275, 300.

All the people invested 25,000 got a profit of 100,000.00, instantly became "lakhapathi". 20 Years ago 1 lak was a big thing.

Most newcomers, youth, empowered with 1 lak, invested in other IPOs and stocks with much better power to build their portfolios.

Now a days these ugly people distribute all the wealth among them and use IPOs to trap our hard earned money to pay back their debt.

jaya

swan03 wrote:It says "The poor performance of Expolanka will teach those who run after IPO’s a bitter lesson," Capital Trust Stockbrokers said in a research note.

We are welcome IPO from “ SARAVITA” sellers, “ DUVANAGIRI” saruvath sellers (soft drink sellers near the school gate) Banana traders at side of the main road and “ KOTHU ROTTI” traders. they have a rights to go to the CSE and find fresh capital most important thing is that so called REGULATORS shall have to monitor the IPO before allow it. Also the fairness of price before victimized the innocent retailers who paid life long savings.

Expo situation has been discussed this forum several times, thanks to forum many of members escape, but most IPO buyers are limited access to inter net.
Who will be responsible and protector of such poor investors (as our regulators wants to increase number of entities in the board and .......)

seyon

Chinwi wrote:IPO

I can remember NDB was offered @ 50 and all the applicants got 500 shares. Due to its real value, at secondary market it traded @ 250 and later 275, 300.

Yes true Ciniwi, the those days IPO were offered at real value. Now, Managers to offer and Advisors talking bullshit Forwarded PE ratio and Value the shares based on unexpected future earnings. Look at EXPO and Softlogic assets value with IPO prices PBV are in the range of 5X-10times.

I do not know about process of SEC approval on pricing. They must have to look the pricing of IPO.

mono

mono

seyon wrote:
Chinwi wrote:IPO

Yes true Ciniwi, the those days IPO were offered at real value. Now, Managers to offer and Advisors talking bullshit Forwarded PE ratio and Value the shares based on unexpected future earnings. Look at EXPO and Softlogic assets value with IPO prices PBV are in the range of 5X-10times.

I do not know about process of SEC approval on pricing. They must have to look the pricing of IPO.

this is entirely the fault of our 'supiri traders'. in the recent past IPO were hitting the market at exorbitant prices. SINS was offered at 15 i believe, with a PE at 10. on the first day of trading it hit 50, i think. So if i were a bussinessmen going for an IPO why on earth would i offer an IPO at low PE's. EXPO people are effectively selling a stake of thier company to the public. why on earth should they sell it for anything less than the premium. at least that's what my bussiness sense tells me.

duke

mono wrote:
this is entirely the fault of our 'supiri traders'. in the recent past IPO were hitting the market at exorbitant prices. SINS was offered at 15 i believe, with a PE at 10. on the first day of trading it hit 50, i think. So if i were a bussinessmen going for an IPO why on earth would i offer an IPO at low PE's. EXPO people are effectively selling a stake of thier company to the public. why on earth should they sell it for anything less than the premium. at least that's what my bussiness sense tells me.

It may be more than premium. But it can't be 2X, 3X times of the price that was offered to selected parties.

limestone

limestone

" So if i were a bussinessmen going for an IPO why on earth would i offer an IPO at low PE's. EXPO people are effectively selling a stake of thier company to the public. why on earth should they sell it for anything less than the premium. at least that's what my bussiness sense tells me"

GOOD POINT

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum