FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.


Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com


Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.


Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka


Submit PostSubmit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post



Latest topics

» GLAS will be winner with Super Gain.
by vijay singh Today at 3:22 am

» Lets try to understand what is happening in the market right now
by celtic tiger Today at 1:56 am

» EXPOLANKA HOLDINGS PLC (EXPO.N0000)
by Gowri123 Today at 12:05 am

» Anyone attended AGM?
by Vishwanarth Yesterday at 11:17 pm

» Is ASPI Overvalued now or heavily undervalued ?
by EquityChamp Yesterday at 11:12 pm

» A Strong bounce back of ASI is on the cards
by samaritan Yesterday at 6:17 pm

» Prominent Investors of the colombo stock market
by samaritan Yesterday at 6:06 pm

» DIPD/HAYC/HAYL
by Eranga87 Yesterday at 5:55 pm

» ACL post share split trading and the future potential
by sheildskye Yesterday at 3:27 pm

» Current 2021 Februray Unit Trust/Unit Fund Per Annum percentages
by N W Yesterday at 2:44 pm

» WindForce (WIND) IPO Overview
by EquityChamp Yesterday at 10:09 am

» Norway -> biggest shareholder of NDB
by shihan 93 Yesterday at 9:56 am

» Many positives for Next week
by Vishwanarth Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:29 pm

» Maldives records over 100,000 tourist arrivals in first 35 days of the year
by samaritan Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:59 am

» Kind of behavior traders engage in when they are frustrated and want their money back from the market. Stock market for beginners
by lal62 Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:40 am

» EXPO EXPO EXPO
by Gowri123 Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:35 am

» still I believe this
by 100Bill Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:21 pm

» SUNSHINE HOLDINGS PLC (SUN.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:19 pm

» Investor sentiment - will there ever be a recovery?
by xhunter Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:49 pm

» Let's have a stop-loss strategy to maximize investment returns in stock market
by EquityChamp Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:19 pm

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)


CHRONICLE™ YouTube

CHRONICLE™ NEWS PRODUCTS

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Views & Reviews, Analysis, Evaluations, Discussions, Gossip and Hot Tips relating to Sri Lankan companies listed on the Colombo Stock Exchange (CSE)
Contribute




DAILY CHRONICLE™

Latest news and articles published in Newspapers, Websites, Blogs and other online news sites relating to business and investments in Sri Lanka
Contribute



ECONOMIC CHRONICLE™

This is a section that provide news, views, analysis, predications relating to Political and Socio-Economic factors and how such activities affect the Stock Market and other economic activity of the Country.

Contribute




EXPERT CHRONICLE™

This is an exclusive section for Expert Articles which will help member to share knowledge through comments and responses of the members. All members are allowed to reply and make comments to these articles.

Contribute


Submit Post


CHRONICLE™ YouTube

Youtube Videos and other visual presentations relating Stock market and other investment advise submitted by members or other contributors.

Contribute


Submit Post


කොළඔ කොටස් වෙළඳපොළේ වංශකථාව
කොළඔ කොටස් වෙළඳපොළේ ලැයිස්තුගත සමාගම් කොටස් ගැන තොරතුරු¸විශ්ලේෂණ¸සාකච්ඡා¸ කටකතා¸රසකතා යන සියල්ල අපේම සිංහලෙන් කතා කළ හැකි ‘කතා මණ්ඩපය’

Contribute

Twitter Feeds
POPULAR COMPANIES
A

ABANS ELECTRICALS PLC

ACCESS ENGINEERING PLC Hot

ACL CABLES PLC

ACL PLASTICS PLC

ACME PRINTING & PACKAGING PLC

AGSTAR PLC

AITKEN SPENCE HOTEL HOLDINGS PLC

AITKEN SPENCE PLC

ANILANA HOTELS AND PROPERTIES PLC

ARPICO INSURANCE PLC

ASIA ASSET FINANCE PLC

ASIA CAPITAL PLC

B

BAIRAHA FARMS PLC

BALANGODA PLANTATIONS PLC

BIMPUTH FINANCE PLC

BLUE DIAMONDS JEWELLERY WORLDWIDE PLC

B P P L HOLDINGS PLC

BROWNS BEACH HOTELS PLC

BROWNS INVESTMENTS PLC

C

CARGO BOAT DEVELOPMENT COMPANY PLC

CENTRAL INDUSTRIES PLC

CEYLON COLD STORES PLC

CEYLON GRAIN ELEVATORS PLC Hot

CEYLON TEA BROKERS PLC

CEYLON TOBACCO COMPANY PLC

CHEVRON LUBRICANTS LANKA PLC

COLOMBO FORT LAND & BUILDING PLC

COMMERCIAL BANK OF CEYLON PLC

CITRUS LEISURE PLC Hot

COMMERCIAL CREDIT AND FINANCE PLC

D

DANKOTUWA PORCELAIN PLC

DFCC BANK PLC

DIALOG AXIATA PLC

DIALOG FINANCE PLC

DIPPED PRODUCTS PLC

DISTILLERIES COMPANY OF SRI LANKA PLC

DUNAMIS CAPITAL PLC

E

EAST WEST PROPERTIES PLC Hot

EASTERN MERCHANTS PLC

EXPOLANKA HOLDINGS PLC

E-CHANNELLING PLC

F

FIRST CAPITAL HOLDINGS PLC

G

GALADARI HOTELS (LANKA) PLC

GUARDIAN CAPITAL PARTNERS PLC

H

HATTON NATIONAL BANK PLC

HAYLEYS PLC

HAYLEYS FABRIC PLC

HAYLEYS FIBRE PLC Hot

HEMAS HOLDINGS PLC

HIKKADUWA BEACH RESORT PLC

HNB ASSURANCE PLC

HVA FOODS PLC

J

JANASHAKTHI INSURANCE COMPANY PLC

JOHN KEELLS HOLDINGS PLC Hot

JOHN KEELLS HOTELS PLC

L

LANKA ASHOK LEYLAND PLC

LANKA IOC PLC

LANKEM CEYLON PLC

LANKEM DEVELOPMENTS PLC

LAUGFS GAS PLC

LAUGFS POWER LIMITED

LOLC FINANCE PLC

LOLC HOLDINGS PLC

LUCKY LANKA MILK PROCESSING COMPANY PLC

M

MELSTACORP PLC

N

NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT BANK PLC

NATION LANKA FINANCE PLC

NESTLE LANKA PLC

O

ORIENT FINANCE PLC

OVERSEAS REALTY (CEYLON) PLC

P

PANASIAN POWER PLC

PEOPLE'S LEASING & FINANCE PLC

PIRAMAL GLASS CEYLON PLC

PRIME FINANCE PLC

R

RAIGAM WAYAMBA SALTERNS PLC

RENUKA AGRI FOODS PLC

RENUKA CAPITAL PLC

RENUKA HOLDINGS PLC

RICHARD PIERIS AND COMPANY PLC

RICHARD PIERIS EXPORTS PLC Hot

ROYAL CERAMICS PLC

S

SAMPATH BANK PLC

SEYLAN BANK PLC

SIERRA CABLES PLC

SINGHE HOSPITALS PLC Hot

SMB LEASING PLC

SOFTLOGIC HOLDINGS PLC

SOFTLOGIC LIFE INSURANCE PLC

SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC

SWISSTEK (CEYLON) PLC Hot

T

TEEJAY LANKA PLC

TESS AGRO PLC

THREE ACRE FARMS PLC

TOKYO CEMENT COMPANY (LANKA) PLC Hot

U

UNION BANK OF COLOMBO PLC

V

VALLIBEL FINANCE PLC

VALLIBEL ONE PLC Hot

VALLIBEL POWER ERATHNA PLC

W

WASKADUWA BEACH RESORT PLC


You are not connected. Please login or register

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ » FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ » Japan Freezes Concessional loan, US donation is on hold and GSP + at risk..

Japan Freezes Concessional loan, US donation is on hold and GSP + at risk..

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

ranferdi

ranferdi
Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics
Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics
Sri Lanka's deposed Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe said the United States and Japan had frozen more than a billion dollars of development aid after his abrupt dismissal raised doubts about the future of democracy in the island.
The move to hold back project financing, along with the EU's warning it could withdraw duty-free concessions for Sri Lankan exports if it didn't stick to commitments on national reconciliation, will further strain the economy, Wickremesinghe told Reuters in an interview.
President Maithripala Sirisena fired him last month after months of tensions within the government and appointed Mahinda Rajapaksa as premier in a shock move that has plunged the nation into a political crisis.
Rajapaksa is a former president who led the country to a military defeat of Tamil separatist guerrillas in 2009 but who has since faced widespread allegations of human rights abuse and targeting of Tamil civilians.
Wickremesinghe, who has challenged his dismissal and vowed to remain Prime Minister until parliament voted him out, said there were international concerns about a government led by Rajapaksa.
“Countries are sensitive, they have concerns (about a government led by Rajapaksa) democratic countries have concerns,” he said in the interview conducted in the prime minister's official residence in a colonial-era bungalow where Wickremesinghe is camping along with his supporters.
The United States has held off on a nearly $500 million aid programme for building of highways and improving land administration by the government-funded Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC), Wickremesinghe said.
Japan had also put on hold plans to extend a soft loan of $1.4 billion for a light railway project, he said. “A lot of projects are held up, the Millennium Challenge, the Japanese loan,” he said.
The Sri Lankan embassy in Washington has been informally told by the MCC that around $480 million will be on hold because of the latest situation in the country, a Sri Lankan foreign ministry official separately confirmed to Reuters.
An official at the Sri Lankan Ministry of Megapolis and Western Development also confirmed the freeze to Reuters on the Japanese loan, imperilling the project.
An official at the Japan International Cooperation Agency said the agency was closely monitoring political developments and the railway project loan had been withheld.
The US embassy in Colombo had no immediate comment when asked if Washington is taking any measures due to the Sri Lankan political crisis.
While Wickremesinghe is staying on in the premier's residence called Temple Trees, Rajapaksa has taken over the offices of the prime minister following his swearing in. Wickremesinghe said his party will step up a public campaign for parliament to be called and he be allowed to prove his majority. “We are all contemplating alternative actions, this includes a big mobilisation of people. Ultimately this has to be decided in parliament.”
Soon after taking over Rajapaksa said he wanted to end the ”politics of hate” in the country and that his government will work for justice for all citizens.



Source: https://www.thehindubusinessline.com/news/world/sri-lankas-ousted-pm-says-us-japan-freeze-aid-over-political-crisis/article25418544.ece

http://::::THIS EMAIL DOESNT WORK.. PLEASE CONTACT ME ON FB ACCO

ranferdi

ranferdi
Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics
Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics
Soon we will be a Bankrupt Nation..

http://::::THIS EMAIL DOESNT WORK.. PLEASE CONTACT ME ON FB ACCO

samaritan


Moderator
Moderator
@ranferdi wrote:Soon we will be a Bankrupt Nation..
I thought we became bankrupt following the Central Bank robbery.


_________________




The biggest risk in life is not taking any risk at all.

ranferdi

ranferdi
Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics
Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics
@samaritan wrote:
@ranferdi wrote:Soon we will be a Bankrupt Nation..
I thought we became bankrupt following the Central Bank robbery.

Magnitude of MR regime robberies are huge when comparing CB case. Also there are investigations on that.

http://::::THIS EMAIL DOESNT WORK.. PLEASE CONTACT ME ON FB ACCO

samaritan


Moderator
Moderator
@ranferdi wrote:
@samaritan wrote:
@ranferdi wrote:Soon we will be a Bankrupt Nation..
I thought we became bankrupt following the Central Bank robbery.

Magnitude of MR regime robberies are huge when comparing CB case. Also there are investigations on that.
President who had been with both parties is the best judge and he has clearly stated that the UNP govt overshadowed the previous regime in corruption & robbery. What more?


_________________




The biggest risk in life is not taking any risk at all.

Yahapalanaya

Yahapalanaya
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
[size=48]Economy in peril: Kabir
[/size]

[size]



Comments / Japan Freezes Concessional loan, US donation is on hold and GSP + at risk.. V-icon4  1108 Views / Thursday, 8 November 2018 00:51

FacebookTwitter
[/size]



[size=17]Japan Freezes Concessional loan, US donation is on hold and GSP + at risk.. Image_759894831a
UNP General Secretary Kabir Hashim (left) and UNP MP Eran Wickramaratne 

- Pic by Pradeep Pathirana

 
[/size]

  • Warns debt financing in danger on possible higher interest rates 
  • Says Rs. 7 b outflow from Govt. securities since standoff 
  • Insists suspended loans by international partners hampering development
  • Eran renews call for Parliament to be reconvened  

[size][size]
The economic impact of the dragging Constitutional crisis could potentially hamper Sri Lanka’s debt refinancing efforts in 2019, and delay critical development projects, warned United National Party (UNP) General Secretary Kabir Hashim and UNP MP Eran Wickramaratne yesterday.

The duo speaking to reporters at Temple Trees insisted that the removal of Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe and proroguing of Parliament by President Maithripala Sirisena was unconstitutional, and renewed calls to reconvene Parliament as early as possible. Hashim heavily criticised Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa loyalists who had earlier censured the UNP for allowing the rupee to depreciate but had failed to arrest its decline since 26 October.

“These are the same people who went around saying that if they were in power, they would stop the rupee depreciation in hours. 

Where are these people now? What are they doing? When they are in the Opposition they are full of promises, but when they are in power they do nothing. The Central Bank has had to spend $100 million since 26 October to defend the currency, and this is likely to increase unless Parliament is convened and this issue resolved,” he said. 

Hashim also said that an estimated Rs. 7 billion in foreign investments had flowed out of the Government securities market as a result of the constitutional standoff, which is now over a week old. He insisted that this was a larger outflow than the amount from January to September 2018, and expressed fears that the outflow would worsen if political uncertainty continues.   

Quoting from Moody’s statement last week, that detailed Sri Lanka’s heightened risk for debt refinancing due to the prevailing political uncertainty, he pointed out that an increase in interest rates would make borrowing more expensive for Sri Lanka. From 2019, Sri Lanka has to repay an estimated $12 billion as debt repayments till 2022, most of which need to be raised from international capital markets that decide interest rates based on macroeconomic fundamentals of a country. 

“The agreement for the third phase of the Kandy highway was to be signed this week, but now that has been put on hold. The JICA loan for $1.4 billion for the Light Railway has been suspended. We had obtained funding for the new Kelaniya bridge project and were told that the next tranche would be delayed. These issues are impacting the development of the country. Who will take responsibility for these consequences?” 

Hashim also mentioned the $460 million Millennium Challenge Cooperation grant that may be reversed unless Sri Lanka upholds democratic principles. MCC was earmarked primarily for infrastructure-related development efforts. The UNP MPs were adamant that under the post-2015 administration significant infrastructure developments had been made, and these were in danger of being derailed by the change of Prime Minister. 

“Why are they so scared to show a majority in parliament? Members of Parliament are not children. They are intelligent enough to make up their own minds. We say with responsibility that we still hold a majority. They are spreading rumours of dissolution of Parliament to scare MPs into joining them,” Wickramaratne said.
[/size][/size]

Miss-Sangeetha

Miss-Sangeetha
Moderator
Moderator
@Yahapalanaya wrote:[size=48]Economy in peril: Kabir
[/size]






Comments / Japan Freezes Concessional loan, US donation is on hold and GSP + at risk.. V-icon4  1108 Views / Thursday, 8 November 2018 00:51

FacebookTwitter




[size=17]Japan Freezes Concessional loan, US donation is on hold and GSP + at risk.. Image_759894831a
UNP General Secretary Kabir Hashim (left) and UNP MP Eran Wickramaratne 

- Pic by Pradeep Pathirana

 
[/size]

  • Warns debt financing in danger on possible higher interest rates 
  • Says Rs. 7 b outflow from Govt. securities since standoff 
  • Insists suspended loans by international partners hampering development
  • Eran renews call for Parliament to be reconvened  


The economic impact of the dragging Constitutional crisis could potentially hamper Sri Lanka’s debt refinancing efforts in 2019, and delay critical development projects, warned United National Party (UNP) General Secretary Kabir Hashim and UNP MP Eran Wickramaratne yesterday.

The duo speaking to reporters at Temple Trees insisted that the removal of Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe and proroguing of Parliament by President Maithripala Sirisena was unconstitutional, and renewed calls to reconvene Parliament as early as possible. Hashim heavily criticised Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa loyalists who had earlier censured the UNP for allowing the rupee to depreciate but had failed to arrest its decline since 26 October.

“These are the same people who went around saying that if they were in power, they would stop the rupee depreciation in hours. 

Where are these people now? What are they doing? When they are in the Opposition they are full of promises, but when they are in power they do nothing. The Central Bank has had to spend $100 million since 26 October to defend the currency, and this is likely to increase unless Parliament is convened and this issue resolved,” he said. 

Hashim also said that an estimated Rs. 7 billion in foreign investments had flowed out of the Government securities market as a result of the constitutional standoff, which is now over a week old. He insisted that this was a larger outflow than the amount from January to September 2018, and expressed fears that the outflow would worsen if political uncertainty continues.   

Quoting from Moody’s statement last week, that detailed Sri Lanka’s heightened risk for debt refinancing due to the prevailing political uncertainty, he pointed out that an increase in interest rates would make borrowing more expensive for Sri Lanka. From 2019, Sri Lanka has to repay an estimated $12 billion as debt repayments till 2022, most of which need to be raised from international capital markets that decide interest rates based on macroeconomic fundamentals of a country. 

“The agreement for the third phase of the Kandy highway was to be signed this week, but now that has been put on hold. The JICA loan for $1.4 billion for the Light Railway has been suspended. We had obtained funding for the new Kelaniya bridge project and were told that the next tranche would be delayed. These issues are impacting the development of the country. Who will take responsibility for these consequences?” 

Hashim also mentioned the $460 million Millennium Challenge Cooperation grant that may be reversed unless Sri Lanka upholds democratic principles. MCC was earmarked primarily for infrastructure-related development efforts. The UNP MPs were adamant that under the post-2015 administration significant infrastructure developments had been made, and these were in danger of being derailed by the change of Prime Minister. 

“Why are they so scared to show a majority in parliament? Members of Parliament are not children. They are intelligent enough to make up their own minds. We say with responsibility that we still hold a majority. They are spreading rumours of dissolution of Parliament to scare MPs into joining them,” Wickramaratne said.
When you copy and paste please check the font size through preview, because some of the contents are missing and instead of that size 17, size 19 appearing in your post.

ruwan326

ruwan326
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
@Miss-Sangeetha wrote:
@Yahapalanaya wrote:[size=48]Economy in peril: Kabir
[/size]






Comments / Japan Freezes Concessional loan, US donation is on hold and GSP + at risk.. V-icon4  1108 Views / Thursday, 8 November 2018 00:51

FacebookTwitter




[size=17]Japan Freezes Concessional loan, US donation is on hold and GSP + at risk.. Image_759894831a
UNP General Secretary Kabir Hashim (left) and UNP MP Eran Wickramaratne 

- Pic by Pradeep Pathirana

 
[/size]

  • Warns debt financing in danger on possible higher interest rates 
  • Says Rs. 7 b outflow from Govt. securities since standoff 
  • Insists suspended loans by international partners hampering development
  • Eran renews call for Parliament to be reconvened  


The economic impact of the dragging Constitutional crisis could potentially hamper Sri Lanka’s debt refinancing efforts in 2019, and delay critical development projects, warned United National Party (UNP) General Secretary Kabir Hashim and UNP MP Eran Wickramaratne yesterday.

The duo speaking to reporters at Temple Trees insisted that the removal of Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe and proroguing of Parliament by President Maithripala Sirisena was unconstitutional, and renewed calls to reconvene Parliament as early as possible. Hashim heavily criticised Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa loyalists who had earlier censured the UNP for allowing the rupee to depreciate but had failed to arrest its decline since 26 October.

“These are the same people who went around saying that if they were in power, they would stop the rupee depreciation in hours. 

Where are these people now? What are they doing? When they are in the Opposition they are full of promises, but when they are in power they do nothing. The Central Bank has had to spend $100 million since 26 October to defend the currency, and this is likely to increase unless Parliament is convened and this issue resolved,” he said. 

Hashim also said that an estimated Rs. 7 billion in foreign investments had flowed out of the Government securities market as a result of the constitutional standoff, which is now over a week old. He insisted that this was a larger outflow than the amount from January to September 2018, and expressed fears that the outflow would worsen if political uncertainty continues.   

Quoting from Moody’s statement last week, that detailed Sri Lanka’s heightened risk for debt refinancing due to the prevailing political uncertainty, he pointed out that an increase in interest rates would make borrowing more expensive for Sri Lanka. From 2019, Sri Lanka has to repay an estimated $12 billion as debt repayments till 2022, most of which need to be raised from international capital markets that decide interest rates based on macroeconomic fundamentals of a country. 

“The agreement for the third phase of the Kandy highway was to be signed this week, but now that has been put on hold. The JICA loan for $1.4 billion for the Light Railway has been suspended. We had obtained funding for the new Kelaniya bridge project and were told that the next tranche would be delayed. These issues are impacting the development of the country. Who will take responsibility for these consequences?” 

Hashim also mentioned the $460 million Millennium Challenge Cooperation grant that may be reversed unless Sri Lanka upholds democratic principles. MCC was earmarked primarily for infrastructure-related development efforts. The UNP MPs were adamant that under the post-2015 administration significant infrastructure developments had been made, and these were in danger of being derailed by the change of Prime Minister. 

“Why are they so scared to show a majority in parliament? Members of Parliament are not children. They are intelligent enough to make up their own minds. We say with responsibility that we still hold a majority. They are spreading rumours of dissolution of Parliament to scare MPs into joining them,” Wickramaratne said.
When you copy and paste please check the font size through preview, because some of the contents are missing and instead of that size 17, size 19 appearing in your post.
"When you copy and paste please check the font size through preview" Wink Good to check back the post for errors Idea  

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum