FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
Poll

Can there be another Covid-19 wave in Sri Lanka?

View results

STOCK MARKET TRAINING
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

Latest topics

» ASSOCIATED MOTOR FINANCE COMPANY PLC (AMF.N0000)
by kanishkaecomm Yesterday at 10:12 pm

» TOKYO CEMENT COMPANY (LANKA) PLC
by SAGA Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» EXPOLANKA HOLDINGS PLC (EXPO.N0000)
by EPS Yesterday at 9:11 pm

» GLAS will be winner with Super Gain.
by Eranga87 Yesterday at 9:07 pm

» Top Foreign Trading today - 22/06/2021
by SAGA Yesterday at 8:50 pm

» TOP 20 LISTED COMPANIES BY FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
by CHRONICLE™ Yesterday at 8:37 pm

» Daily Foreign Transactions update
by Pradeep90 Yesterday at 8:30 pm

» RWSL for short term profits
by madukp Yesterday at 5:17 pm

» YORK has a potential to go double ...
by Vasyan Yesterday at 5:07 pm

» United motors limited UML
by smnsam Yesterday at 2:43 pm

» dividend counters
by kanishkaecomm Yesterday at 12:43 pm

» HAYCARB PLC (HAYC.N0000)
by samaritan Yesterday at 11:33 am

» World-famous angel investor Conny enters Sri Lanka
by samaritan Yesterday at 10:00 am

» SINHAPUTHRA FINANCE PLC (SFL.N0000)
by kanishkaecomm Yesterday at 9:47 am

» ADAM CAPITAL PLC (PCHH.N0000)
by GayanKK Yesterday at 9:46 am

» New Commodity bubble. How will it impact the CSE?
by CHRONICLE™ Yesterday at 8:53 am

» MELSTACORP PLC (MELS.N0000)
by engineer Yesterday at 7:29 am

» R I L PROPERTY PLC (RIL.N0000)
by SAGA Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:57 pm

» Dividend - July/August
by High-flyer Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:41 pm

» SOFTLOGIC CAPITAL PLC (SCAP.N0000)
by madukp Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:08 pm

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

MARKET CHAT

CHRONICLE™ ANALYTICS

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

You are not connected. Please login or register

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ » CORPORATE CHRONICLE™ » US designates Sri Lanka Army commander as a gross violator of human rights, bans entry

US designates Sri Lanka Army commander as a gross violator of human rights, bans entry

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

KavinduTM

KavinduTM
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
Feb 14, Washington, DC: 

The United States today designated Lieutenant General Shavendra Silva, current Commander of the Sri Lanka Army and Acting Chief of Defense Staff, as a gross violator of human rights, especially for extrajudicial killings during his command.

As such Lieutenant General Shavendra Silva and his immediate family members will be ineligible for entry into the United States.

The Department of State has designated Lieutenant General Shavendra Silva, current Commander of the Sri Lanka Army and Acting Chief of Defense Staff, as required under Section 7031(c) of the Department of State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs Appropriations Act, due to credible information of his involvement, through command responsibility, in gross violations of human rights, namely extrajudicial killings, by the 58th Division of the Sri Lanka Army during the final phase of Sri Lanka’s Civil War in 2009, the State Department said in a statement.

According to the statement, Section 7031(c) provides that, in cases where the Secretary of State has credible information that foreign officials have been involved in a gross violation of human rights or significant corruption, those individuals and their immediate family members are ineligible for entry into the United States.

The law also requires the Secretary of State to publicly or privately designate such officials and their immediate family members. In addition to the public designation of Shavendra Silva, the Department is also designating his immediate family members.

The allegations of gross human rights violations against Shavendra Silva, documented by the United Nations and other organizations, are serious and credible, the U.S. State Department said.
“His designation underscores the importance we place on human rights in Sri Lanka and globally, our concern over impunity for human rights violations and abuses, as well as our support for promoting accountability for those who engage in such acts,” Secretary of State Michael Pompeo said in the statement.

The U.S. urged the Sri Lankan government to promote human rights, hold accountable individuals responsible for war crimes and human rights violations, advance security sector reform, and uphold its other commitments to pursue justice and reconciliation.

“We deeply value our partnership with the Sri Lankan government and the long-standing democratic tradition we share with the Sri Lankan people. The United States remains committed to strengthening the bilateral relationship with Sri Lanka and helping reshape its security forces to tackle current and emerging threats. Security cooperation will continue to emphasize respect for human rights as a fundamental component of our training, assistance, and engagements.”

The United States said it will continue to use all available tools and authorities, as appropriate, to address human rights violations and abuses around the world no matter when they occurred or who perpetrated them. “Today’s actions underscore our commitment to support human rights, promote accountability for perpetrators, and encourage reconciliation in support of a peaceful, stable, and prosperous Sri Lanka.”

KavinduTM

KavinduTM
Sri Lanka strongly objects to U.S. banning entry for Army Chief and his immediate family

Feb 14, Colombo: 

Responding to the United States State Department decision to ban Sri Lanka Army Chief and his immediate family from entering the U.S. over war crime allegations, the government of Sri Lanka said it strongly objects the U.S. action, based on independently unverified information.

The Government reiterated that Lt. Gen. Shavendra Silva was appointed as the Commander of the Army by the then Head of State, taking into account his seniority and that there were no substantiated or proven allegations of human rights violations against him.

The Government requested the United States to verify the authenticity of the sources of information and to review its decision.

Full statement by Ministry of Foreign Relations Sri Lanka
It was announced a short while ago that the US Department of State has designated Lieutenant General Shavendra Silva, current Commander of the Sri Lanka Army and Acting Chief of Defense Staff and his immediate family members. The public designation makes them ineligible for entry into the United States.

The Government of Sri Lanka takes strong objection to the imposition of travel restrictions on Lt. Gen. Silva and his immediate family members by the Government of the United States, based on independently unverified information.

The Government reiterates that Lt. Gen. Shavendra Silva was appointed as the Commander of the Army by the then Head of State, taking into account his seniority and that there were no substantiated or proven allegations of human rights violations against him. His elevation as the Acting Chief of Defense Staff by the current Head of State President Gotabaya Rajapaksa, was on account of his being the senior most serving military officer.

While the timing of the imposition of this travel restriction 6 months after Lt. Gen. Silva’s appointment as Army Commander is concerning, it is disappointing that a foreign government should question the prerogative of the democratically elected President to call upon persons with proven expertise to hold key positions on national security related matters.

The Government of Sri Lanka requests the United States to verify the authenticity of the sources of information and to review its decision.

KavinduTM

KavinduTM
What's going on guys?

He is a good leader (Shavendra). What human rights did he violate?
As i know he handled the battalion with current defense secretary which killed "prabhakaran"

KavinduTM

KavinduTM
@Teller wrote:This is not ethical. Some times USA doesnt know their limit.
Yeah 😠

KavinduTM

KavinduTM
US Ambassador summoned by Foreign Ministry over Silva ban

United States Ambassador in Colombo Alaina B Teplitz has been summoned to the Ministry of Foreign Relations tomorrow Sunday over the ban imposed on the Army Commander Shavendra Silva from entering the US, a top official said.

He added that Teplitz will be meeting Minister of Foreign Relations Dinesh Gunewardene at his office.

On Friday Sri Lanka’s army chief Silva was banned from visiting the United States, over alleged human rights violations in the last stages of the islands civil war which ended in 2009, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has said.

“..[I]in cases where the Secretary of State has credible information that foreign officials have been involved in a gross violation of human rights or significant corruption, those individuals and their immediate family members are ineligible for entry into the United States,” Pompeo said in a statement.

He added that Silva was “designated” because of “credible information of his involvement, through command responsibility, in gross violation of human rights, namely extrajudicial killing by the 58th Division of the Sri Lanka Army” in the final phase of the conflict in 2009.
Originally appointed by then-President Maithripala Sirisena he was recently made the Chief of Defence staff. The US also raised the issue when Silva was first appointed saying sanctions could go as far as a ban on entry to that country.

Sri Lanka immediately called on the ban to be lifted.

“The Government of Sri Lanka takes strong objection to the imposition of travel restrictions on Lt. Gen. Silva and his immediate family members by the Government of the United States, based on independently unverified information,” the Foreign Ministry said in a statement.

“The Government of Sri Lanka requests the United States to verify the authenticity of the sources of information and to review its decision.”

“The Government reiterates that Lt. Gen. Shavendra Silva was appointed as the Commander of the Army by the then Head of State, taking into account his seniority and that there were no substantiated or proven allegations of human rights violations against him.

“His elevation as the Acting Chief of Defence Staff by the current Head of State President Gotabaya Rajapaksa was on account of his being the senior-most serving military officer” it added.

“While the timing of the imposition of this travel restriction 6 months after Lt. Gen. Silva’s appointment as Army Commander is concerning, it is disappointing that a foreign government should question the prerogative of the democratically elected President to call upon persons with proven expertise to hold key positions on national security-related matters,” the statement added.

KavinduTM

KavinduTM
@KavinduTM wrote:
@Teller wrote:This is not ethical. Some times USA doesnt know their limit.
Yeah 😠

Why did you delete that post @TellerRolling Eyes

Kaish86

Manager - Equity Analytics
Philipine president cancelled agreement with US due to the US travel ban to their IGP. Will our ex US citizen prez will do the same with sofa.

King of vice

King of vice
Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic
@Kaish86 wrote:Philipine president cancelled agreement with US due to the US  travel ban to their IGP. Will our ex US citizen  prez will do the same with sofa.
Will the guardians of our land the "Maha Sanga" clamor for the ex US citizen President to do so? What would the great patriots "Wansa and Gamma" say??
scratch scratch

Junior investor

Junior investor
a comment I put yesterday about Saudi Arabia on this topic has been deleted.

KavinduTM

KavinduTM
@Junior investor wrote:a comment I put yesterday about Saudi Arabia on this topic has been deleted.
Ah what is going on? Hey Admins, What was that?

KavinduTM

KavinduTM
Dinesh conveys “strong objections” over Shavendra ban to US Ambassador

Foreign Relations Minister Dinesh Gunawardena on Sunday formally conveyed to the US Ambassador Alaina Teplitz Sri Lanka’s strong objections on the travel ban on Army Chief Shavendra Silva saying “individual criminal responsibility can only be determined by a Court of Law with all necessary due process guaranteed.”

Silva and his immediate family were banned from entering the US because of “credible information of his involvement, through command responsibility, in gross violation of human rights, namely extrajudicial killing by the 58th Division of the Sri Lanka Army” in the final phase of the conflict in 2009, a statement from the US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said.

Minister Gunawardena told Ambassador Teplitz that the investigation into these allegations was “a human rights investigation and not a criminal investigation”, and that “the names provided in the description of the chain of command do not imply criminal responsibility for those particularly alleged violations listed in this report, either as direct responsibility or under command or superior responsibility,” a press release issued by the Ministry said.

Teplitz was summoned to the MFR Sunday for Gunewardena to formally deliver Sri Lanka’s objections and call for a revision of the decision.

On coming to learn that the designation was not based on independently verified information, but on the much-disputed OISL Report of 2015, the Minister requested the United States to verify the authenticity of the sources of information. Foreign Relations Minister asked that the United States Government review its decision.

Teplitz had said she “would convey the concerns of the Government of Sri Lanka to Washington DC, and reiterated the continued commitment of the US Government to all aspects of on-going collaboration with Sri Lanka and to ensure its expansion, including in the field of defence.”

Foreign Secretary Ravinatha Aryasinha, Director General/ North America, Dharshana M. Perera, and officials of the Ministry of Foreign Relations were associated with the Minister at the meeting.  Martin Kelly, Deputy Head of Mission accompanied the US Ambassador to the meeting

KavinduTM

KavinduTM
@Kaish86 wrote:Philipine president cancelled agreement with US due to the US  travel ban to their IGP. Will our ex US citizen  prez will do the same with sofa.
Yeah we need to go hard.

ThilinaM

ThilinaM
Vice President - Equity Analytics
Once cab driver told me one of army commander throw a 1 year old baby up and hit by a cricket bat in last days of war. also he said LTTE also done same kind of things when SL army captured. u and me cant say how mutch revenge both partys wanted. also he said when army captured LTTE will burn them live little by little (this practice LTTE called thel hideema).

I think both partys act like crazy in last days. if i was in the war and i have seen my friends burn live i may do the same.

ThilinaM

ThilinaM
civilians live in this forum do not have what ever understanding how mutch cruel man can do to a other man i a war

King of vice

King of vice
Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic
@ThilinaM wrote:Once cab driver told me one of army commander throw a 1 year old baby up and hit by a cricket bat in last days of war. also he said LTTE also done same kind of things when SL army captured. u and me cant say how mutch revenge both partys wanted. also he said when army captured LTTE will burn them live little by little (this practice LTTE called thel hideema).

I think both partys act like crazy in last days. if i was in the war and i have seen my friends burn live i may do the same.
These are only rumors. The whole world saw how humanely the Sri Lankan security forces treated the Tamil civilians who were forced to dance to the tune of the terrorists at gun point toward the end of the war. No one can compare the behavior of a well trained and disciplined army with the behavior of a murderous terrorist outfit led by a ruthless blood thirsty maniac.

KavinduTM

KavinduTM
@King of vice wrote:
@ThilinaM wrote:Once cab driver told me one of army commander throw a 1 year old baby up and hit by a cricket bat in last days of war. also he said LTTE also done same kind of things when SL army captured. u and me cant say how mutch revenge both partys wanted. also he said when army captured LTTE will burn them live little by little (this practice LTTE called thel hideema).

These are only rumors. The whole world saw how humanely the Sri Lankan security forces treated the Tamil civilians who were forced to dance to the tune of the terrorists at gun point toward the end of the war. No one can compare the behavior of a well trained and disciplined army with the behavior of a murderous terrorist outfit led by a ruthless blood thirsty maniac.
Yeah like always, cab drivers are just spreading lies. 😂
Agree to your statement @King

King of vice

King of vice
Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic
The Army commander has a given a befitting answer to the arrogant U.S government for banning him entry. He has simply asked, "who wants to come to the U.S?" Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Now they can stick their ban up uncle Sam's..... "you know where!"  Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

ThilinaM

ThilinaM
@kavindu - A cab driver have retired army (due to multiple woonds) solder who have multiple motar woonds in his legs and from the long range squad .

KavinduTM

KavinduTM
@ThilinaM wrote:@kavindu - A cab driver have retired army (due to multiple woonds) solder who have multiple motar woonds in his legs and from the long range squad .

Oh. But how is he driving then  Shocked

Or did u mean about his son or someone?

ThilinaM

ThilinaM
also its a rumer that in LRP for final test they have to bring a head of LTTE. what they doing is they will  bring the head of first tamil man they see. i dont know thease are true or false i heard thease many years ago

KavinduTM

KavinduTM
@King of vice wrote:The Army commander has a given a befitting answer to the arrogant U.S government for banning him entry. He has simply asked, "who wants to come to the U.S?" Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Now they can stick their ban up uncle Sam's..... "you know where!"  Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

😂😂😂😂😂

ThilinaM

ThilinaM
Kavindu - woonded solders can retire army with componsation. ex lost finger/motars inside body etc. they can drive cars no issue.

KavinduTM

KavinduTM
@ThilinaM wrote:also its a rumer that in LRP for final test they have to bring a head of LTTE. what they doing is they will  bring the head of first tamil man they see. i dont know thease are true or false i heard thease many years ago

The hell. I can't believe that. Must be rumors ew. It is our srilankan army. Not a group of terrorists 😶

KavinduTM

KavinduTM
@ThilinaM wrote:Kavindu - woonded solders can retire army with componsation. ex lost finger/motars inside body etc. they can drive cars no issue.

Then retired army soldier told you that story? 😮

ThilinaM

ThilinaM
yes . y.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum