As a prudent investor, your first priority should be to have an uninterrupted supply of of Food and Medicine to ensure you come out unscratched from the pandemic. Have a good medical and health insurance policy for your family. Maintain a stock of non perishable essential goods in your home. You might be able to sell excess at a profit when prices escalate.
After taking this basic step you need to decide on the investment you can make from you excess money. You need to look at an investment strategy that will have minimum price variation if not a marginal increase in your asset value.
Few Opitions (Depeding on how sophisticated your investment plan is) are as follows;
- Invest in Gold. This is one of the most stable investments in a recession. You can buy Gold busicuts from Bullion Exchange.
Maintain a diversified Foreign Currency Portfolio
- Maintain a diversified currency portfolio (USD, EURO, Chinese Renmimbi, AUD, CAD). This will enable you to hedge you against LKR depreciation as well as other currency movements.
Bank Deposits and Cash in Hand
- Keep Minimum amount of Rupees Deposits. This is for an emergency. Keep the money under your pillow and not in the Bank. Dont keep too much cash in hand or bank. Inflation is going to hit all of us and purchasing power of the money will soon diminish.
Agriculture Related investments
- World is going to face a food shortage. Investment in Agriculture and local food supply chain related business would be attractive but there will be inherent risk involved due to weather as well as unpredictable movement in commodity prices. These are medium to long term investments and investors would be nervous to get into these. Dont buy land. Get into long leases instead. Same applies to Apartments.
Differ all Loan and Utility payments
- You have a good reason to differ all payments, Loans, Leases, Credit Cards & Utility Bills. Money has time value. Preserve your cash and pay minimum if required. Eventually you will end up paying less. Remind you if what happened to Indonesian Rupiya.
Collect all payments due
- Try to collect payments whenever possible.If needed give reduction. one Bird in the hand is better than the two birds in the bush. Delay means you may never recover. Some may even go bankrupt after the pandemic.
- Donate money for charity, This may be the only investment for your next birth.