When you discover a stable company that pays a high dividend yield, at a good price its like winning the lottery twice.
1. Steady stream of income via dividends ( Most of the time higher than the fixed income rates)
2. The undervalued market price eventually translates to stock price appreciation ( Capital Gains)
How do you find these companies? Do the following..
1. Check the financials- Has the company been making profits steadily and hopefully growing as well?
2. Check the price- Is the price undervalued vs the earnings?
3. Check the dividend yield - Dividend amount vs the market price of the share. Is it higher that the FD and other fixed income rates?
4. Check the dividend pay out history- Has the company been declaring dividends on a regular basis?
5. How does the future look? - Does the medium to long term outlook of the industry sector look positive?
If the answer to these questions is YES!. Then you have found your company. These type of companies provide safe heavens for risk averse investors during volatile periods in the economy and equity markets.
High dividend paying companies are rarely affected by external shocks unless it directly affects the company.
In the uncertain times ahead look to these type of counters to protect your portfolios and to keep it growing steadily.