FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Submit PostSubmit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

Latest topics

» Kind of behavior traders engage in when they are frustrated and want their money back from the market. Stock market for beginners
by lal62 Today at 7:40 am

» Maldives records over 100,000 tourist arrivals in first 35 days of the year
by target1 Today at 4:36 am

» Many positives for Next week
by madukp Today at 3:22 am

» EXPO EXPO EXPO
by Gowri123 Today at 12:35 am

» GLAS will be winner with Super Gain.
by Eranga87 Yesterday at 9:50 pm

» still I believe this
by 100Bill Yesterday at 9:21 pm

» SUNSHINE HOLDINGS PLC (SUN.N0000)
by ErangaDS Yesterday at 8:19 pm

» Investor sentiment - will there ever be a recovery?
by xhunter Yesterday at 7:49 pm

» Let's have a stop-loss strategy to maximize investment returns in stock market
by EquityChamp Yesterday at 7:19 pm

» Daily Foreign Transactions
by Pradeep90 Yesterday at 6:56 pm

» Norway -> biggest shareholder of NDB
by Bakkabwoi Yesterday at 6:42 pm

» DIPD/HAYC/HAYL
by samaritan Yesterday at 5:41 pm

» කොටස් මිල දී ගන්න මෙය හොඳම කාලයයි – රාජ්‍ය අමාත්‍ය කබ්රාල්
by samaritan Yesterday at 5:07 pm

» IS it right time to stick to warren buffett's most famous saying ???
by Mr. X Yesterday at 4:02 pm

» CSE - The World's best performer!
by Vishwanarth Yesterday at 2:42 pm

» Best Broker
by Wickyz Yesterday at 2:32 pm

» Game Changed! SUPER GREEN
by Karthick Yesterday at 12:24 pm

» Blue Diamond
by thavam_Eu Yesterday at 12:07 pm

» GALORE OF GOOD NEWS TO THE CSE
by Bakkabwoi Yesterday at 11:58 am

» TRUE VALUE OF LANKA ALUMINUM INDUSTRY (LALU)
by Trading Jockey Yesterday at 10:26 am

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

CHRONICLE™ NEWS PRODUCTS

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Views & Reviews, Analysis, Evaluations, Discussions, Gossip and Hot Tips relating to Sri Lankan companies listed on the Colombo Stock Exchange (CSE)
Contribute

DAILY CHRONICLE™

Latest news and articles published in Newspapers, Websites, Blogs and other online news sites relating to business and investments in Sri Lanka
Contribute

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE™

This is a section that provide news, views, analysis, predications relating to Political and Socio-Economic factors and how such activities affect the Stock Market and other economic activity of the Country.

Contribute

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

This is an exclusive section for Expert Articles which will help member to share knowledge through comments and responses of the members. All members are allowed to reply and make comments to these articles.

Contribute

Submit Post

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

Youtube Videos and other visual presentations relating Stock market and other investment advise submitted by members or other contributors.

Contribute

Submit Post

කොළඔ කොටස් වෙළඳපොළේ වංශකථාව
කොළඔ කොටස් වෙළඳපොළේ ලැයිස්තුගත සමාගම් කොටස් ගැන තොරතුරු¸විශ්ලේෂණ¸සාකච්ඡා¸ කටකතා¸රසකතා යන සියල්ල අපේම සිංහලෙන් කතා කළ හැකි ‘කතා මණ්ඩපය’

Contribute

Twitter Feeds
POPULAR COMPANIES
A

ABANS ELECTRICALS PLC

ACCESS ENGINEERING PLC Hot

ACL CABLES PLC

ACL PLASTICS PLC

ACME PRINTING & PACKAGING PLC

AGSTAR PLC

AITKEN SPENCE HOTEL HOLDINGS PLC

AITKEN SPENCE PLC

ANILANA HOTELS AND PROPERTIES PLC

ARPICO INSURANCE PLC

ASIA ASSET FINANCE PLC

ASIA CAPITAL PLC

B

BAIRAHA FARMS PLC

BALANGODA PLANTATIONS PLC

BIMPUTH FINANCE PLC

BLUE DIAMONDS JEWELLERY WORLDWIDE PLC

B P P L HOLDINGS PLC

BROWNS BEACH HOTELS PLC

BROWNS INVESTMENTS PLC

C

CARGO BOAT DEVELOPMENT COMPANY PLC

CENTRAL INDUSTRIES PLC

CEYLON COLD STORES PLC

CEYLON GRAIN ELEVATORS PLC Hot

CEYLON TEA BROKERS PLC

CEYLON TOBACCO COMPANY PLC

CHEVRON LUBRICANTS LANKA PLC

COLOMBO FORT LAND & BUILDING PLC

COMMERCIAL BANK OF CEYLON PLC

CITRUS LEISURE PLC Hot

COMMERCIAL CREDIT AND FINANCE PLC

D

DANKOTUWA PORCELAIN PLC

DFCC BANK PLC

DIALOG AXIATA PLC

DIALOG FINANCE PLC

DIPPED PRODUCTS PLC

DISTILLERIES COMPANY OF SRI LANKA PLC

DUNAMIS CAPITAL PLC

E

EAST WEST PROPERTIES PLC Hot

EASTERN MERCHANTS PLC

EXPOLANKA HOLDINGS PLC

E-CHANNELLING PLC

F

FIRST CAPITAL HOLDINGS PLC

G

GALADARI HOTELS (LANKA) PLC

GUARDIAN CAPITAL PARTNERS PLC

H

HATTON NATIONAL BANK PLC

HAYLEYS PLC

HAYLEYS FABRIC PLC

HAYLEYS FIBRE PLC Hot

HEMAS HOLDINGS PLC

HIKKADUWA BEACH RESORT PLC

HNB ASSURANCE PLC

HVA FOODS PLC

J

JANASHAKTHI INSURANCE COMPANY PLC

JOHN KEELLS HOLDINGS PLC Hot

JOHN KEELLS HOTELS PLC

L

LANKA ASHOK LEYLAND PLC

LANKA IOC PLC

LANKEM CEYLON PLC

LANKEM DEVELOPMENTS PLC

LAUGFS GAS PLC

LAUGFS POWER LIMITED

LOLC FINANCE PLC

LOLC HOLDINGS PLC

LUCKY LANKA MILK PROCESSING COMPANY PLC

M

MELSTACORP PLC

N

NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT BANK PLC

NATION LANKA FINANCE PLC

NESTLE LANKA PLC

O

ORIENT FINANCE PLC

OVERSEAS REALTY (CEYLON) PLC

P

PANASIAN POWER PLC

PEOPLE'S LEASING & FINANCE PLC

PIRAMAL GLASS CEYLON PLC

PRIME FINANCE PLC

R

RAIGAM WAYAMBA SALTERNS PLC

RENUKA AGRI FOODS PLC

RENUKA CAPITAL PLC

RENUKA HOLDINGS PLC

RICHARD PIERIS AND COMPANY PLC

RICHARD PIERIS EXPORTS PLC Hot

ROYAL CERAMICS PLC

S

SAMPATH BANK PLC

SEYLAN BANK PLC

SIERRA CABLES PLC

SINGHE HOSPITALS PLC Hot

SMB LEASING PLC

SOFTLOGIC HOLDINGS PLC

SOFTLOGIC LIFE INSURANCE PLC

SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC

SWISSTEK (CEYLON) PLC Hot

T

TEEJAY LANKA PLC

TESS AGRO PLC

THREE ACRE FARMS PLC

TOKYO CEMENT COMPANY (LANKA) PLC Hot

U

UNION BANK OF COLOMBO PLC

V

VALLIBEL FINANCE PLC

VALLIBEL ONE PLC Hot

VALLIBEL POWER ERATHNA PLC

W

WASKADUWA BEACH RESORT PLC

You are not connected. Please login or register

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ » FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ » Why fluctuating Market Turnover?

Why fluctuating Market Turnover?

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Why fluctuating Market Turnover? Empty Why fluctuating Market Turnover? Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:07 am

RJ1010

Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics
Here’s a question to gather everyone’s thoughts. Last 4 months we witnessed a remarkable change in the CSE daily turnover. It was in 1-2Bn... moved up to 4-5Bn... and went over 10Bn per day during the frenzied bull days and now back to 4-5Bn on red days.

Question is from where did all that money suddenly flood the market and where’s that money now?

My assumptions... these are only my guesses as I don’t know the answer.
1. EPF did take profit and capital out of several of their investments. These would have contributed to a large % of the turnover. As per records they are yet to reinvest, so we may see money coming back into CSE soon.
2. There’s rumours of black money infusion and making it white.. which means black money was used to buy shares at low and cash out with profits. Which means this money has come and gone. I doubt this rumour but cannot rule out bcz it’s Sri Lanka. If it’s black money aren’t the tax authorities going to investigate from where the money originated? Hmm...
3. The large money infusion may have been contributed by the credit taken by the large number of new investors. The repercussions we are seeing now.
4. During the short bull run, cash in was higher than cash out and turnover hit record billions. When red days came cash out was higher but turnover dropped. Which means money which came into CSE has not all gone out. Most of it is still inside CSE. It will take a lot more red days for that cash to be taken out if that happens.

The situation could be a combination of all of the above.
Share your thoughts and any other ideas.

samaritan, judecroos and geesura like this post

2Why fluctuating Market Turnover? Empty Re: Why fluctuating Market Turnover? Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:43 am

xhunter

xhunter
This is not the answer, this a sort of explanation to misconception we have.
Actually in green days, cash exit from the market and red days’ cash “accumulated” to the market.
So all that run after jan 8th  , with that heavy turnover lot of cash were taken out from the market. I don’t know whether it will come back or not.
(don’t get confused with market capital value).

I will explain,
I get a share at 100/=. On a green day I sell it to 120/= , so someone injected 120/=. I left with that 120/=
Again share will be traded at its fair price 100/= but that 20/= is gone.

the person who bought that share at 120/=, actually didnt injected cash to the market, he gave that to me. market still has that share (not 120/=) , that share price will be decided by a buyer and seller agreement next day.

Last edited by xhunter on Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total

soileconomy and RJ1010 like this post

3Why fluctuating Market Turnover? Empty Re: Why fluctuating Market Turnover? Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:49 am

RJ1010

5. An idea shared by Slstocks fb post - big investors are recycling their money instead of holding their investments. For example investor A has 50M in Expo. Instead of keeping money invested for long term he uses that 50M to buy low sell high and quickly jumps to another moving share like BILL and uses the same 50M to quickly buy/sell. He recycles his money to earn profits. So turnover goes up but the capital remains the same for the investor. At the end he may still keep the money in CSE or takes out his money and wait to collect in red days such as these days. Hope I interpreted Slstocks point correctly.

judecroos and thananjey like this post

4Why fluctuating Market Turnover? Empty Re: Why fluctuating Market Turnover? Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:44 pm

xhunter

xhunter
@RJ1010 wrote:Here’s a question to gather everyone’s thoughts. Last 4 months we witnessed a remarkable change in the CSE daily turnover. It was in 1-2Bn... moved up to 4-5Bn... and went over 10Bn per day during the frenzied bull days and now back to 4-5Bn on red days.

Question is from where did all that money suddenly flood the market and where’s that money now?

1. EPF did take profit and capital out of several of their investments. These would have contributed to a large % of the turnover. As per records they are yet to reinvest, so we may see money coming back into CSE soon.
2. There’s rumours of black money infusion and making it white.. which means black money was used to buy shares at low and cash out with profits. Which means this money has come and gone. I doubt this rumour but cannot rule out bcz it’s Sri Lanka. If it’s black money aren’t the tax authorities going to investigate from where the money originated? Hmm...
3. The large money infusion may have been contributed by the credit taken by the large number of new investors. The repercussions we are seeing now.
4. During the short bull run, cash in was higher than cash out and turnover hit record billions. When red days came cash out was higher but turnover dropped. Which means money which came into CSE has not all gone out. Most of it is still inside CSE. It will take a lot more red days for that cash to be taken out if that happens.

1.     When market goes upwards active party is the buying side, not the selling side.so if it EPF selling’s, it doesn’t explain what happened. Then who was the buyer? That is the party who throws money, question is where that money came from.
2.      If black money used and exit with profit, still that same question is there, who was the buyer, and where that money came from?
But this is possible, they used black money to buy, and sellers also their side, they can play and move away with money (but with a loss, that’s natural in money laundering always that process lose money). But money laundering in this way is not practice and it is traceable.

3.      Most probable, but we need facts that the contribution of “crossing” for that huge turnover.
4.     This is I explained in my previous post

judecroos likes this post

5Why fluctuating Market Turnover? Empty Re: Why fluctuating Market Turnover? Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:41 pm

Equityinvestor

Manager - Equity Analytics
Manager - Equity Analytics
@xhunter wrote:
@RJ1010 wrote:Here’s a question to gather everyone’s thoughts. Last 4 months we witnessed a remarkable change in the CSE daily turnover. It was in 1-2Bn... moved up to 4-5Bn... and went over 10Bn per day during the frenzied bull days and now back to 4-5Bn on red days.

1.     When market goes upwards active party is the buying side, not the selling side.so if it EPF selling’s, it doesn’t explain what happened. Then who was the buyer? That is the party who throws money, question is where that money came from.
2.      If black money used and exit with profit, still that same question is there, who was the buyer, and where that money came from?
But this is possible, they used black money to buy, and sellers also their side, they can play and move away with money (but with a loss, that’s natural in money laundering always that process lose money). But money laundering in this way is not practice and it is traceable.

3.      Most probable, but we need facts that the contribution of “crossing” for that huge turnover.

I also agree with xhunter about point 3. This is most probable. However the question is whether such new investors got so much credit, all most all days were 5 BIL plus!!!

Black money - I dont think the people who bring in black money (whom i belive would have strong ties with political big shots) would worry about somone tracing or taxes. 

Not sure if point 1 is valid.

judecroos likes this post

6Why fluctuating Market Turnover? Empty Re: Why fluctuating Market Turnover? Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:58 pm

judecroos

Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
@xhunter wrote:

Black money is our hard earned  TAX money , robed in many ways. every body know who are these people ??? One thing is sure in my mind the Mother nature will punish all of them to vanish with their families from this earth. Even a smell will not remain in this land.100%.

7Why fluctuating Market Turnover? Empty Re: Why fluctuating Market Turnover? Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:03 pm

snipo

Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic
Not sure whether the above was mentioned implicitly, but it could also be that due to the bull run, lots of new investors also injected a lot of money. However, as prices have dropped drastically, there must be quite a few investors who have been stuck with stocks, that were bought at higher prices (myself victim as well). So obviously, the ability to trade is constrained, and as you all know, daily turnover increases with the number of trades. Trading volumes have dropped markedly and is unlikely to see an increase until the market recovers to levels observed in January. Also, those who burnt their hands and lost money are unlikely to return to the CSE for a while (another limitation)...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum