FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» LOLC FINANCE PLC (LOFC.N0000)
by Equity Win Today at 2:17 pm

» SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC (SLTL.N0000)
by sureshot Today at 7:42 am

» Construction Sector Boom with Purchasing manager's indices
by rukshan1234 Yesterday at 11:24 pm

» Asha Securities and Asia Securities Target AEL (Access Enginnering PLC )
by Anushka Perz Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:30 pm

» Sri Lanka: China EXIM Bank Debt Moratorium to End in April 2024
by DeepFreakingValue Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:22 pm

» Uncertainty over impending elections could risk Lanka’s economic recovery: ADB
by God Father Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:47 pm

» Sri Lanka's Debt Restructuring Hits Roadblock with Bondholders
by God Father Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:42 pm

» BROWN'S INVESTMENTS SHOULD CONSIDER BUYING BITCOIN
by ADVENTUS Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:48 pm

» Bank run leading the way in 2024
by bkasun Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:21 pm

» ACCESS ENGINEERING PLC (AEL) Will pass IPO Price of Rs 25 ?????
by blindhog Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:44 am

» ASPI: Undoing GR/Covid19!
by DeepFreakingValue Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:25 am

» Learn CSE Rules and Regulations with the help of AI Assistant
by ChatGPT Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:47 am

» Top AI tools in Sri Lanka
by ChatGPT Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:21 am

» HDFC- Best ever profit reported in 2023
by ApolloCSE Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:43 pm

» WAPO 200% UP
by LAMDA Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:41 pm

» KEGALLE PLANTATIONS PLC (KGAL.N0000)
by DeepFreakingValue Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:04 pm

» ARPICO INSURANCE PLC - Reports LKR 625mn loss for the FY2023
by DeepFreakingValue Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:58 pm

» EXTERMINATORS PLC (EXT.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:59 am

» ALLIANCE FINANCE COMPANY PLC (ALLI.N0000)
by SL-INVESTOR Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:29 am

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by Anushka Perz Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:50 pm

» PINS (People's Insurance) will be another UAL
by sakuni Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:22 pm

» A New Record Price for One Tonne of Cocoa on the International Market
by ResearchMan Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:03 pm

» Access Engineering awarded two more contract packages at Colombo Port
by samansilva Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:05 pm

» FMCG Sector LMF, MEL and DIST
by buwr Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:35 am

» CEYLON GUARDIAN INVESTMENT TRUST PLC (GUAR)
by soileconomy Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:00 am

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

Disclaimer
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

The information contained in this FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ have been submitted by third parties directly without any verification by us. The information available in this forum is not researched or purported to be complete description of the subject matter referred to herein. We do not under any circumstances whatsoever guarantee the accuracy and completeness information contained herein. FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not in any way be responsible or liable for loss or damage which any person or party may sustain or incur by relying on the contents of this report and acting directly or indirectly in any manner whatsoever. Trading or investing in stocks & commodities is a high risk activity. Any action you choose to take in the markets is totally your own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental damages or loss arising out of the use of this information. The information on this website is neither an offer to sell nor solicitation to buy any of the securities mentioned herein. The writers may or may not be trading in the securities mentioned.

Further the writers and users shall not induce or attempt to induce another person to trade in securities using this platform (a) by making or publishing any statement or by making any forecast that he knows to be misleading, false or deceptive; (b) by any dishonest concealment of material facts; (c) by the reckless making or publishing, dishonestly or otherwise of any statement or forecast that is misleading, false or deceptive; or (d) by recording or storing in, or by means of, any mechanical, electronic or other device, information that he knows to be false or misleading in a material particular. Any action writers and users take in respect of (a),(b),(c) and (d) above shall be their own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental violation of securities laws of any country, damages or loss arising out of the use of this information.

AI Live Chat

You are not connected. Please login or register

Do we need the SEC ?

+13
seyon
sanjeewa88
kam2011
Surangaby
rijayasooriya
Tiger
sapumal
UKboy
swan03
manula
Maximin
GJ
kkahapola
17 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

21Do we need the SEC ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Do we need the SEC ? Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:11 pm

manula

Vice President - Equity Analytics

Those days when softlogic was IPO was in the market many discussions were their and same issue came about private placement. So some pepole agreed and did not brought and some went against it.

In few days back i saw same discussion about next IPO ..CIFL. Clearly many members say it was junk. surely i am not going behind this IPO. But some how i know our investors will run to buy and will oversubscribe with in one day.

22Do we need the SEC ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Do we need the SEC ? Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:47 pm

Surangaby

Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

[quote="Tiger"]
Surangaby wrote:
swan03 wrote:Never go after IPOs for sometime. Mad [/quote

I agree!! As for my knowledge We all are (@ equity forum) goes to small to mid Investor category, We are the ones who suffers from thing like this. CSE & SEC should make plans to protect this part of investors (As the "Engine" of CSE) as they try to protect the Big Guns. This huge dip of CSE is also due to lacking faith with SEC & CSE. Most of the people who's invested @ CSE 1) has got stuck higher valued IPO's & secondary market. 2)Sold them with a loss. 3) Leave CSE never to come back (even they discourage othrs to not to invst @ CSE.
If this happens for a long period of time Only big guns will remain @ CSE and it will destroy CSE more than war era destroyed CSE.
My Suggestion is can't we form some kind of a Club Or Union Etc., for small to mid investors @ CSE... And make a voice to those companies which over values their shares ( Even to boycott buying them @ Primary & secondary market ) And to even SEC & CSE.
Need Your Comments ......

Wall street investors has done in 1929.
Bangladesh investors has done in 2010.
Sri Lankan investors in 2011- its funny history repeats itself over and over again.

Yep! It's funny alright!! But We need to do something for the people who went blind behind some overvalued junks and now crying! I'm not in that crying side! But I feel like to do something to protect small to mid investors, That will protect all Investors including the big guns too ( in the long run)!!

23Do we need the SEC ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Do we need the SEC ? Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:00 pm

kkahapola

Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic

ACTUALLY I WAS NAROWLY ESCAPED FROM APPLYING TO SOFTLOGIC IPO.
LAST MINUTE I SAW THIS PP STORY ON A FORUM LIKE THIS.IF I HAD NOT SEEN THAT I COULD HAVE APPLIED FOR SOME QUANTITY.

24Do we need the SEC ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Do we need the SEC ? Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:36 pm

kam2011

Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

kkahapola wrote:ACTUALLY I WAS NAROWLY ESCAPED FROM APPLYING TO SOFTLOGIC IPO.
LAST MINUTE I SAW THIS PP STORY ON A FORUM LIKE THIS.IF I HAD NOT SEEN THAT I COULD HAVE APPLIED FOR SOME QUANTITY.
Look, This valuable forum could prevent you from a bad investment decision. And myself too.We must thank the Admin for this.

25Do we need the SEC ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Do we need the SEC ? Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:54 pm

Surangaby

Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

Me too! Normally I look for 4 things in a IPO.
1) Why do they go for an IPO? ( Why do they need public money?)
2) Calculate the value of a share by myself. (Make a rough idea of value of that company's by Rupees,check the percentage of shares issue and divide the same percentage of the value of the company. (hope U got it) sunny Then U could get a rough idea of the price. (remember .. U have to be Ur own researcher , annalist, auditor & Invest Adviser for a certain level)
3) Private Placements? ( Price, Percentage of shares, To Whom)
4) Interest of the public.

It's Ur money gusz.. so be sharp Shocked Suspect

26Do we need the SEC ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Do we need the SEC ? Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:59 pm

Surangaby

Surangaby
Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

kam2011 wrote:
Look, This valuable forum could prevent you from a bad investment decision. And myself too.We must thank the Admin for this.

True! cheers But don't be too cheers about it pal.. Sometimes carpet roads could lead you to a disaster affraid
Be sharp!

27Do we need the SEC ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Do we need the SEC ? Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:16 pm

sanjeewa88

sanjeewa88
Manager - Equity Analytics
Manager - Equity Analytics

Thanks in advance Surangaby. I put you +rep for your valuable idea in this.

Some of the experts here are thinking that free market forces can do every thing better.

But CSE needs a proper monitoring system soon, because some of investors start to get off from market.

USA has a great regulating system to its capital market. Even though their religion is capitalism still they follow the government interference.

Our CSE is more than 100 times smaller than USA capital market. So we need to protect it.

If ASI comes down to 6000 the declining rate will be doubled. This will not a magic if current pattern is continuing. Then all shouting capitalists will shout to have regulations.

28Do we need the SEC ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Do we need the SEC ? Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:45 pm

kkahapola

Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic

Surangaby wrote:

Me too! Normally I look for 4 things in a IPO.
1) Why do they go for an IPO? ( Why do they need public money?)
2) Calculate the value of a share by myself. (Make a rough idea of value of that company's by Rupees,check the percentage of shares issue and divide the same percentage of the value of the company. (hope U got it) sunny Then U could get a rough idea of the price. (remember .. U have to be Ur own researcher , annalist, auditor & Invest Adviser for a certain level)
3) Private Placements? ( Price, Percentage of shares, To Whom)
4) Interest of the public.

It's Ur money gusz.. so be sharp Shocked Suspect
cheers

29Do we need the SEC ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Do we need the SEC ? Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:28 pm

seyon

Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics

Tiger wrote:

All what you can do is rather than blaming SEC, press them to regulate investment advisory services; things like education requirements, adequacy or research, conflicts of interest etc... that will safe guard investors.

the question is whether these SEC officials are capable to educate. See our SEC Chairperson profile, Does she has any qualification or prior experience related to capital & equity mkt. ( I try to get Malik Cader profile could not get). This is our SEC.

Mrs. Indrani Sugathadasa
(Chairperson)
Mrs. Indrani Sugathadasa has been a
very senior public servant who joined
the Sri Lanka administrative service
(SLAS) in 1977. After retirement, she was
appointed Chairperson of the Securities
and Exchange Commission of Sri Lanka in
May 2010. She is holding the position of
Chairperson of the Insurance Board of Sri
Lanka (IBSL) as well.
The last position she held in the
mainstream public service was that
of Secretary, Ministry of Plantation
Industries. Prior to that she had served
in the Ministries of Women’s Affairs and
Child Development, Plan Implementation
and the National Youth Services Council
(NYSC) in different capacities.
Mrs. Sugathadasa holds a Bachelor
of Social Sciences degree from the
University of Colombo and obtained
Masters degree (MPA/MBA) from Monash
University, Melbourne, Australia, on an
Australian Government Scholarship. She
also has been awarded the prestigious
Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship (Fulbright)
by the United States Government in 1990
and was attached to Hunter College, City
University of New York during the oneyear
Fellowship period.
In addition, Mrs. Sugathadasa has
participated extensively in various
training programmes and consultancies
in Management and gender related
disciplines, both locally and internationally.

30Do we need the SEC ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Do we need the SEC ? Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:35 pm

seyon

ok Cader has 13 years experience in the Equity and Capital Mkt, But his education career is unrelated.

Mr. Cader has served the Securities and Exchange Commission for over 13 years and before his promotion he was the Officer-in-Charge and Deputy Director General of the Securities and Exchange Commission.

He had also held the posts of Director Legal and Enforcement, Director External Relations and Market Development and Senior Manager, Training and Market Development of SEC.

Mr. Cader is an Attorney-at-Law with over 20 years at the Bar and is a Solicitor of the United Kingdom.

Mr. Cader has also served as the Director Public Relations & Market Development of the Insurance Board of Sri Lanka from March 2001 to September 2005 when the SEC Secretariat was designated as the Secretariat of the Insurance Board of Sri Lanka.

http://www.priu.gov.lk/news_update/Current_Affairs/ca201011/20101102malik_cader_appointed_dg_sec.htm

31Do we need the SEC ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Do we need the SEC ? Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:56 pm

manula

kam2011 wrote:

This is very much true... We have to thank this forum.. first it free and we learn lot from this forum. I also did not went for softlogic IPO due to this forum many experts told about the highly price and private placement and same way careful about the next CIFL IPO also. Thanks Admin once again .. cheers cheers

32Do we need the SEC ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Do we need the SEC ? Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:56 pm

Chabbi

Chabbi

Friends we have talked much on this but non of us dont knw what is the mission of SEC

The main objective of the Surveillance department and its functions are to monitor the trading activity of the Colombo Stock Exchange on a daily real time basis and detect any violation of the Securities and Exchange Commission Act in terms of price manipulations which interferes with the free price discovery mechanism, insider/related party trading, front running, unethical conduct by brokers etc.

They failed what they planed ....

I have to say only one thing Smile

They have forget what they should do .... Bcz its Nature of ********** organization (I didnt mention the word but nos of * will give you the hint)

33Do we need the SEC ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Do we need the SEC ? Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:22 pm

wiki

there is a reason why she is in that post..

34Do we need the SEC ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Do we need the SEC ? Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:39 pm

dinusha.kiwulegedara

Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

Hi All...

First of all I thanks this forum. I also learn from that forum & I thought is better to avoid buying Softlojic IPO Thats why I thanks this forum ... I am maintain Three accounts under Three brokers. They also push me to apply Softlogic IPO in Higher volume ...

According to my knowledge its not worth for that Initial price. My ultimate question is why SEC is approved for an IPO under that Price ...

That why we are think deeply is it necessary to continuous SEC further. Please Advice ? I invite you admin put your Ideas about SEC...?\

All the Very best...

35Do we need the SEC ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Do we need the SEC ? Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:26 am

Surangaby

Surangaby
Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

sanjeewa88 wrote:Thanks in advance Surangaby. I put you +rep for your valuable idea in this.

Some of the experts here are thinking that free market forces can do every thing better.

But CSE needs a proper monitoring system soon, because some of investors start to get off from market.

USA has a great regulating system to its capital market. Even though their religion is capitalism still they follow the government interference.

Our CSE is more than 100 times smaller than USA capital market. So we need to protect it.

If ASI comes down to 6000 the declining rate will be doubled. This will not a magic if current pattern is continuing. Then all shouting capitalists will shout to have regulations.

Thanks sanjeewa88! Yes! I agree with you. We need to protect our "Stock Market"(as commonly known).

36Do we need the SEC ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Do we need the SEC ? Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:40 am

Surangaby

Surangaby
Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

UKboy wrote:
Maximin wrote:
kkahapola wrote: SEC ALLOW SOFTLOGIC TO PRICED AT 29 WHEN ACTUAL VALUE IS 7.20.NOW THE STOCK MKT INVESTORS ARE SUFFERING.............FEW COMPANIES ARE GAINING HUGE AMOUNT AND MAJORITY INVESTORS ARE SUFFERING..THIS IS TRUE FOR THE OTHER IPOS.
DOES CSE WANT TO PROTECT FEW COMPANIES THAN STOCK MKT..& ITS INVESTORS.

Did SEC forced to submit for Softlogic?
Everyone knew that it's worth 7.20 when it priced for 29 for retailers through IPO.
I didn't buy Softlogic, And I think most of them did not buy it.

We should think twice before buying shares, specially in IPOs.

Agreed Maxmin.

Let me recall Tubal's signature.

There isn't a law that says you need to buy into an IPO/Introduction on the first day.
The law doesn't say you have to subscribe to each and every IPO.
The law enforcement authorities can't protect you against your own stupidity

Well said UKboy! Yes! No one forces us to put money for IPO's. As I said earlier you have to be ur own Financial & Investment adviser for certain level.
Always follow the "MIDDLE PATH".
Don't be too hungry for money, it will lead you to a starvation!!
Be Sharp!!

37Do we need the SEC ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Do we need the SEC ? Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:58 am

Surangaby

Surangaby
Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

seyon wrote:
Tiger wrote:

All what you can do is rather than blaming SEC, press them to regulate investment advisory services; things like education requirements, adequacy or research, conflicts of interest etc... that will safe guard investors.

the question is whether these SEC officials are capable to educate. See our SEC Chairperson profile, Does she has any qualification or prior experience related to capital & equity mkt. ( I try to get Malik Cader profile could not get). This is our SEC.

Mrs. Indrani Sugathadasa
(Chairperson)
Mrs. Indrani Sugathadasa has been a
very senior public servant who joined
the Sri Lanka administrative service
(SLAS) in 1977. After retirement, she was
appointed Chairperson of the Securities
and Exchange Commission of Sri Lanka in
May 2010. She is holding the position of
Chairperson of the Insurance Board of Sri
Lanka (IBSL) as well.
The last position she held in the
mainstream public service was that
of Secretary, Ministry of Plantation
Industries. Prior to that she had served
in the Ministries of Women’s Affairs and
Child Development, Plan Implementation
and the National Youth Services Council
(NYSC) in different capacities.
Mrs. Sugathadasa holds a Bachelor
of Social Sciences degree from the
University of Colombo and obtained
Masters degree (MPA/MBA) from Monash
University, Melbourne, Australia, on an
Australian Government Scholarship. She
also has been awarded the prestigious
Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship (Fulbright)
by the United States Government in 1990
and was attached to Hunter College, City
University of New York during the oneyear
Fellowship period.
In addition, Mrs. Sugathadasa has
participated extensively in various
training programmes and consultancies
in Management and gender related
disciplines, both locally and internationally.

Hey Seyon, What about Prof.Harendra Dissabandara? I've seen him speaking. Seems like he has a good vision & aim. He's trying to prevent CSE by falling to a Gambling Market. He has taken steps to track down Gamblers (Manipulators) in CSE. Somehow if he stays for some time, I believe it will be good for SEC,CSE & for genuine investors.

38Do we need the SEC ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Do we need the SEC ? Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:09 pm

lokuayya

That is the case ,The SLAS are close to politicians and get in to all the important positions in the country.They know nothing about the industry but they take all the decisions.In this case she is only a social science arts graduate who has spent all career in some lethargic government institutions.
There are few exceptional cases in SLAS like sarath amunugama , but very rare.

the safety of our life savings depend on these peoples decisions.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum