FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.


Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com


Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.


Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka


Submit PostSubmit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post



Latest topics

» Inefficiency
by stockchaser Today at 1:25 pm

» Blossom March
by Big Bull Today at 12:20 pm

» TILE / LWL / RCL
by Wickyz Today at 11:36 am

» Sometimes you might find that you have lost all your money in the market by investing in the non profitable stocks in the market.
by pjrngroup Today at 10:58 am

» පෙබරවාරි මාසේ කොළඹ කොටස් වලට මොකක්ද වුනේ - බැසුවාද ? බැස්සාද ?
by Wickyz Today at 10:54 am

» ACL post share split trading and the future potential
by Wickyz Today at 10:47 am

» GLAS will be winner with Super Gain.
by Promoney Today at 9:54 am

» Nations Trust Bank- undervalued stock.
by Eranx Today at 8:00 am

» NATIONS TRUST BANK PLC (NTB.N0000)
by Eranx Today at 7:59 am

» Daily Foreign Transactions
by Pradeep90 Yesterday at 10:11 pm

» DIPD/HAYC/HAYL
by Chathur Yesterday at 9:44 pm

» RICH or TKYO
by RJ1010 Yesterday at 5:43 pm

» TOKYO CEMENT COMPANY (LANKA) PLC
by arun.cse Yesterday at 1:14 pm

» RAIGAM WAYAMBA SALTERNS PLC (RWSL.N0000)
by Rational Investor Yesterday at 11:58 am

» Opportunities after CSE drop
by EquityChamp Yesterday at 11:36 am

» Amana Bank's total assets cross Rs100 bilion with Rs 1billion operating profit
by samaritan Yesterday at 11:25 am

» Pakistan keen to invest in port city: Cabraal
by samaritan Yesterday at 11:16 am

» BROWNS INVESTMENTS PLC (BIL.N0000)
by samaritan Yesterday at 11:02 am

» SANASA DEVELOPMENT BANK PLC (SDB.N0000)
by IDK Yesterday at 9:23 am

» Madura takes the Portfolio Manager 2021 leadership with staggering 3.5bn
by roshan1039 Yesterday at 5:46 am

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)


CHRONICLE™ YouTube

CHRONICLE™ NEWS PRODUCTS

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Views & Reviews, Analysis, Evaluations, Discussions, Gossip and Hot Tips relating to Sri Lankan companies listed on the Colombo Stock Exchange (CSE)
Contribute




DAILY CHRONICLE™

Latest news and articles published in Newspapers, Websites, Blogs and other online news sites relating to business and investments in Sri Lanka
Contribute



ECONOMIC CHRONICLE™

This is a section that provide news, views, analysis, predications relating to Political and Socio-Economic factors and how such activities affect the Stock Market and other economic activity of the Country.

Contribute




EXPERT CHRONICLE™

This is an exclusive section for Expert Articles which will help member to share knowledge through comments and responses of the members. All members are allowed to reply and make comments to these articles.

Contribute


Submit Post


CHRONICLE™ YouTube

Youtube Videos and other visual presentations relating Stock market and other investment advise submitted by members or other contributors.

Contribute


Submit Post


කොළඔ කොටස් වෙළඳපොළේ වංශකථාව
කොළඔ කොටස් වෙළඳපොළේ ලැයිස්තුගත සමාගම් කොටස් ගැන තොරතුරු¸විශ්ලේෂණ¸සාකච්ඡා¸ කටකතා¸රසකතා යන සියල්ල අපේම සිංහලෙන් කතා කළ හැකි ‘කතා මණ්ඩපය’

Contribute

Twitter Feeds
POPULAR COMPANIES
A

ABANS ELECTRICALS PLC

ACCESS ENGINEERING PLC Hot

ACL CABLES PLC

ACL PLASTICS PLC

ACME PRINTING & PACKAGING PLC

AGSTAR PLC

AITKEN SPENCE HOTEL HOLDINGS PLC

AITKEN SPENCE PLC

ANILANA HOTELS AND PROPERTIES PLC

ARPICO INSURANCE PLC

ASIA ASSET FINANCE PLC

ASIA CAPITAL PLC

B

BAIRAHA FARMS PLC

BALANGODA PLANTATIONS PLC

BIMPUTH FINANCE PLC

BLUE DIAMONDS JEWELLERY WORLDWIDE PLC

B P P L HOLDINGS PLC

BROWNS BEACH HOTELS PLC

BROWNS INVESTMENTS PLC

C

CARGO BOAT DEVELOPMENT COMPANY PLC

CENTRAL INDUSTRIES PLC

CEYLON COLD STORES PLC

CEYLON GRAIN ELEVATORS PLC Hot

CEYLON TEA BROKERS PLC

CEYLON TOBACCO COMPANY PLC

CHEVRON LUBRICANTS LANKA PLC

COLOMBO FORT LAND & BUILDING PLC

COMMERCIAL BANK OF CEYLON PLC

CITRUS LEISURE PLC Hot

COMMERCIAL CREDIT AND FINANCE PLC

D

DANKOTUWA PORCELAIN PLC

DFCC BANK PLC

DIALOG AXIATA PLC

DIALOG FINANCE PLC

DIPPED PRODUCTS PLC

DISTILLERIES COMPANY OF SRI LANKA PLC

DUNAMIS CAPITAL PLC

E

EAST WEST PROPERTIES PLC Hot

EASTERN MERCHANTS PLC

EXPOLANKA HOLDINGS PLC

E-CHANNELLING PLC

F

FIRST CAPITAL HOLDINGS PLC

G

GALADARI HOTELS (LANKA) PLC

GUARDIAN CAPITAL PARTNERS PLC

H

HATTON NATIONAL BANK PLC

HAYLEYS PLC

HAYLEYS FABRIC PLC

HAYLEYS FIBRE PLC Hot

HEMAS HOLDINGS PLC

HIKKADUWA BEACH RESORT PLC

HNB ASSURANCE PLC

HVA FOODS PLC

J

JANASHAKTHI INSURANCE COMPANY PLC

JOHN KEELLS HOLDINGS PLC Hot

JOHN KEELLS HOTELS PLC

L

LANKA ASHOK LEYLAND PLC

LANKA IOC PLC

LANKEM CEYLON PLC

LANKEM DEVELOPMENTS PLC

LAUGFS GAS PLC

LAUGFS POWER LIMITED

LOLC FINANCE PLC

LOLC HOLDINGS PLC

LUCKY LANKA MILK PROCESSING COMPANY PLC

M

MELSTACORP PLC

N

NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT BANK PLC

NATION LANKA FINANCE PLC

NESTLE LANKA PLC

O

ORIENT FINANCE PLC

OVERSEAS REALTY (CEYLON) PLC

P

PANASIAN POWER PLC

PEOPLE'S LEASING & FINANCE PLC

PIRAMAL GLASS CEYLON PLC

PRIME FINANCE PLC

R

RAIGAM WAYAMBA SALTERNS PLC

RENUKA AGRI FOODS PLC

RENUKA CAPITAL PLC

RENUKA HOLDINGS PLC

RICHARD PIERIS AND COMPANY PLC

RICHARD PIERIS EXPORTS PLC Hot

ROYAL CERAMICS PLC

S

SAMPATH BANK PLC

SEYLAN BANK PLC

SIERRA CABLES PLC

SINGHE HOSPITALS PLC Hot

SMB LEASING PLC

SOFTLOGIC HOLDINGS PLC

SOFTLOGIC LIFE INSURANCE PLC

SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC

SWISSTEK (CEYLON) PLC Hot

T

TEEJAY LANKA PLC

TESS AGRO PLC

THREE ACRE FARMS PLC

TOKYO CEMENT COMPANY (LANKA) PLC Hot

U

UNION BANK OF COLOMBO PLC

V

VALLIBEL FINANCE PLC

VALLIBEL ONE PLC Hot

VALLIBEL POWER ERATHNA PLC

W

WASKADUWA BEACH RESORT PLC


You are not connected. Please login or register

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ » EXPERT CHRONICLE™ » Sri Lanka - Interesting opportunity for foreigners

Sri Lanka - Interesting opportunity for foreigners

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Antonym


Vice President - Equity Analytics
Vice President - Equity Analytics
In this post, the writer (Daniel Greenberg) describes Sri Lanka as 'An Emerging Economy that is Increasingly Attractive to Foreign Investors'.

Greenberg cautions that we should stick to our newly created policies - aimed to create a knowledgeable labor force, improve infrastructure, and reduce debt. He concludes that foreign investors recognize our economic improvements and are more willing to invest in the Sri Lankan economy now that the country is more politically stable.

http://bigemergingeconomies.wordpress.com/category/sri-lanka/

Share this post on: redditgoogle

Post Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:05 am by UKboy

@invest-abc wrote:
I agree with your comment on saying that SL lacks proactive people at the highest level in BOI to attract more and more FDIs. But, I totally disagree with your comment on SL is an OK country (ranked 5 to 6 out of 10) for FDI's. I think this is a total underestimation of the potential and where we at the moment. I believe SL is one of the best places for FDI's
Hello invest-abc,
I said STILL Sri lanka is an OK country. I dont think we can give more than 6/10 for Sri Lanka. Yes Sri Lanka may have the potential but unless someone come forward and clear the path, no point talking about the potential.
@invest-abc wrote: At the moment in the Global economy ASIA is the place to be. ASIA has 5 out of the ten fastest growing economies in the World. Based on the latest IMF figures we are at the 9th place in the World rankings in terms of real GDP Growth rates.
Agree Asia is growing fastest & dont forget all our main competitors are also in Asia. China, Vietnam, Indonesia, Philippine, India etc all give us high level of competition when it comes to FDIs.

@invest-abc wrote: Even if we look at the other South Asia countries like Bangladesh / Pakistan etc. the amount of red tape and corruption in these countries are way beyond what we have here. India is bit better comparatively.
Pakistan sits out of FDI radar unless Pakistan origin people come and do investments. Remember Bangladesh always provides cheaper labour than us. Large scale labour consuming manufacturing plants tends to select Bangladesh ahead of Sri Lanka. Luckly their political situation is not so good nowadays.
India always stays ahead of us. Cheap labour & huge domestic market look very attractive.

@invest-abc wrote: I think with the good intellectual capital backed by long lasting peace and political stability will keep SL at top of the list in terms of attracting foreign investments in the future. This is just my opinion...
This is exactly why I gave 5-6 out of 10. We have the political stability but we are lacking of crystal clear policies. Our production cost is too high & its a major negative point. FDI may come for tourism sector in future but manufactruing sector I highly doubt it Rolling Eyes

Even for call centres , Sri Lanka sits behind countries like India and philippine.

If I'm a foreign investor I would select Vietnam ahead of Sri Lanka. Sorry Its the truth. But same as you I hope things will change soon rather later.

Post Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:49 am by invest-abc

@UKboy wrote:
@invest-abc wrote:
I agree with your comment on saying that SL lacks proactive people at the highest level in BOI to attract more and more FDIs. But, I totally disagree with your comment on SL is an OK country (ranked 5 to 6 out of 10) for FDI's. I think this is a total underestimation of the potential and where we at the moment. I believe SL is one of the best places for FDI's
Hello invest-abc,
I said STILL Sri lanka is an OK country. I dont think we can give more than 6/10 for Sri Lanka. Yes Sri Lanka may have the potential but unless someone come forward and clear the path, no point talking about the potential.
@invest-abc wrote: At the moment in the Global economy ASIA is the place to be. ASIA has 5 out of the ten fastest growing economies in the World. Based on the latest IMF figures we are at the 9th place in the World rankings in terms of real GDP Growth rates.
Agree Asia is growing fastest & dont forget all our main competitors are also in Asia. China, Vietnam, Indonesia, Philippine, India etc all give us high level of competition when it comes to FDIs.

@invest-abc wrote: Even if we look at the other South Asia countries like Bangladesh / Pakistan etc. the amount of red tape and corruption in these countries are way beyond what we have here. India is bit better comparatively.
Pakistan sits out of FDI radar unless Pakistan origin people come and do investments. Remember Bangladesh always provides cheaper labour than us. Large scale labour consuming manufacturing plants tends to select Bangladesh ahead of Sri Lanka. Luckly their political situation is not so good nowadays.
India always stays ahead of us. Cheap labour & huge domestic market look very attractive.

@invest-abc wrote: I think with the good intellectual capital backed by long lasting peace and political stability will keep SL at top of the list in terms of attracting foreign investments in the future. This is just my opinion...
This is exactly why I gave 5-6 out of 10. We have the political stability but we are lacking of crystal clear policies. Our production cost is too high & its a major negative point. FDI may come for tourism sector in future but manufactruing sector I highly doubt it Rolling Eyes

Even for call centres , Sri Lanka sits behind countries like India and philippine.

If I'm a foreign investor I would select Vietnam ahead of Sri Lanka. Sorry Its the truth. But same as you I hope things will change soon rather later.

Uk Boy, Thanks for your explanation...Just a word about Bangladesh..I think still we have the edge over Bangladesh. Even though, Bangladesh provides cheap labour, their productivity stands way below SL. So even most Garment Manufactures who have shifted to Bangladesh have realized that their ultimate labour cost per unit is same or higher compared to SL. Furthermore, regular power cuts and the energy problem is much worst than SL. High Red tape & Corruption also adds to the problems. However, a key highlight in Bangladesh is that their distribution / transport cost is much low due to use of natural gas instead of petrol.

Anyway, agree with you that SL has a long way to go and given the right direction there is always the high potential to be successful. Lets hope for the best bounce bounce

Post Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:01 am by RichDad

Sri Lanka received a record $236 million of foreign direct investment in the first quarter of 2011, with the tourism industry attracting most of the inflows, the island’s Board of Investment said June 7.

The economy is expected to grow sustainably at around 8 to 9 percent over the medium term as confidence is further bolstered and investment picks up.

Sri Lanka has a number of challenges including high fiscal deficit, lack of infrastructure and high dependence on short-term foreign financing,” said Morten Bugge, chief investment officer at Kolding, Denmark-based Global Evolution AS, said July 15. The country also has “high growth, attractive labor costs and a unique strategic geographical location that could be the opportunity for the future, especially in port activities.
It's good time the country work on the challenges and capitalize on the strengths.

The central bank has refrained from boosting rates since 2007, breaking with Asian nations from India to Thailand that have tightened monetary policy to damp price pressures.

Sri Lanka’s inflation will ease over time and the nation’s monetary conditions support faster expansion, according to the International Monetary Fund, which in April disbursed $218.3 million to Sri Lanka as part of its $2.6 billion loan package.

“We would like to see if the improved peace conditions can also attract more foreign direct investment and tourism,” Global Evolution’s Bugge said. “Sri Lanka is a good story. I would like to see some of the things above being handled before additional rating upgrades.”

This kind of positive WOM and recommendations will be favorable on SL and in a time some wealthy nations are suffering, if we build on our strengths with correct strategies while facing and overcoming the weaknesses SL will be able to repeat recent history!!

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-07-18/sri-lanka-rating-raised-to-positive-by-moody-s.html

Post Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:45 pm by RichDad

Malaysian investors too eye on Sri Lanka.

MALAYSIAN businessmen should make a beeline for Sri Lanka to take advantage of new business opportunities that have been popping up there since the end of the conflict and return of political stability in the island state, said Tan Sri Soong Siew Hoong, Chairman of the SMI Committee of the Federation of Malaysian Manufacturers (FMM) who had recently returned after leading a trade delegation to Sri Lanka.

“The presence of so many heavy duty trucks and container vehicles all over the island indicates a sharp pick-up in exports and imports and manufacturing activity compared to three years ago”, he added.

Sri Soong is interested in rubber Wink
“The Sri Lankan government is eager to create employment and the country has vast natural resources especially rubber. Malaysians can set up industries to manufacture a wide range of rubber goods for the South Asian and world markets,” Tan Sri Soong said.

I like the way Sri Soong thinks Smile
“Sri Lanka is now going through what Malaysia went through in the ’60s, evolving from an agricultural economy to a manufacturing and industrial economy. We have 40 years of manufacturing experience which we can share with Sri Lanka especially in the field of small and medium industries,” he said.

http://colombostockwatch.com/2011/07/sri-lanka-beckons-malaysian-investors-%E2%80%93-fmm/

Seems like the foreign investors has foreseen Sri Lanka in another 10 years time! I feel we have a bright future ahead! sunny

RichDad

Post Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:31 am by RichDad

Foreigners' eye on SL

S&P revises Sri Lanka outlook to positive, ratings affirmed

Standard & Poor’s Ratings Services yesterday revised its outlook on the long-term foreign currency sovereign credit rating on Sri Lanka to positive from stable.

At the same time, Standard & Poor’s affirmed its ‘B+/B’ foreign currency and ‘BB-/B’ local currency sovereign credit ratings on Sri Lanka. The outlook on the long-term local currency rating is stable. The transfer and convertibility (T&C) assessment is unchanged at ‘B+’.

“We revised our outlook on the foreign currency rating to reflect the improving external liquidity, progress in addressing structural fiscal weaknesses, the Government’s effort to keep inflation near that of trading partners,” said Standard & Poor’s credit analyst Takahira Ogawa.

“We expect investment to edge upward to 28% of GDP, boosting per capita growth to about 6.5% per year. If the business environment improves to boost net foreign direct investments above 2% of GDP, stronger growth may be possible,” Ogawa said.

http://www.ft.lk/2011/07/20/sp-revises-sri-lanka-outlook-to-positive-ratings-affirmed/

UKboy

Post Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:37 am by UKboy

@RichDad wrote:Sri Lanka received a record $236 million of foreign direct investment in the first quarter of 2011, with the tourism industry attracting most of the inflows, the island’s Board of Investment said June 7.


That is the only escape route BOI has at the moment.
Last few yeas Dialog saved them big time now its only tourism.

avatar

Post Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:04 am by manula

@Academic wrote:
@RichDad wrote:Antonym thanks for the update. Hope our market will benefit with these kind of recommendations and true enough rocksan hope the authorities and officials won't do something stupid like that again.

But today papers read, Sri Lanka loses race in hedging payments. How will this US$340 million (Rs. 37.4 billion) case will have an impact on the market?

http://www.sundaytimes.lk/110717/BusinessTimes/bt01.html

Technically this is a legal contact so it is bonded. A party cant deny payments just because a position converted into loosing. The problem with this hedging activity is not considering/hedging downside risk of oil prices. In a way, as someone observed the trend oil barrel behaved at that time, it was commonly expected oil prices go up further. Hence, at the point CPC entered into the agreement, few argued against it. If anyone criticized CPC at that time (before oil price started declining) "my hat-off to him/her".

Further, though not related, I expect oil prices to decline/stabilize in near future as global economy slow down decreases demand for oil. IMHO, this is the point what CPC missed at that time.

Yes.. when the Hedging contract is signing the oil barrel price was going high. but dont foregt chinese company has advcie that time oil barrel price is going to fall.. but no one listen.. and main is no word on oil price fall.. fro mthis only we can get a idea about our officals. Simple newton law.

avatar

Post Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:48 am by Aamiable

@RichDad wrote:Foreigners' eye on SL

S&P revises Sri Lanka outlook to positive, ratings affirmed

Standard & Poor’s Ratings Services yesterday revised its outlook on the long-term foreign currency sovereign credit rating on Sri Lanka to positive from stable.

At the same time, Standard & Poor’s affirmed its ‘B+/B’ foreign currency and ‘BB-/B’ local currency sovereign credit ratings on Sri Lanka. The outlook on the long-term local currency rating is stable. The transfer and convertibility (T&C) assessment is unchanged at ‘B+’.

“We revised our outlook on the foreign currency rating to reflect the improving external liquidity, progress in addressing structural fiscal weaknesses, the Government’s effort to keep inflation near that of trading partners,” said Standard & Poor’s credit analyst Takahira Ogawa.

“We expect investment to edge upward to 28% of GDP, boosting per capita growth to about 6.5% per year. If the business environment improves to boost net foreign direct investments above 2% of GDP, stronger growth may be possible,” Ogawa said.

http://www.ft.lk/2011/07/20/sp-revises-sri-lanka-outlook-to-positive-ratings-affirmed/



In the meantime, if quarterly financials also maintain standards, ...positive trend in CSE can be achieved. ......Good financial reports seem to be emerging... one by one.

Smile

UKboy

Post Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:57 am by UKboy

1000% true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmYuTRma7yI

RichDad

Post Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:46 am by RichDad

@Aamiable wrote:
In the meantime, if quarterly financials also maintain standards, ...positive trend in CSE can be achieved. ......Good financial reports seem to be emerging... one by one.
Smile

Yes, the value gems will never let the sophisticated investors down who had faith on them.
Longing to see the some good quarterly reports one by one... pirat

avatar

Post Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:33 am by Aamiable

@RichDad wrote:
@Aamiable wrote:
In the meantime, if quarterly financials also maintain standards, ...positive trend in CSE can be achieved. ......Good financial reports seem to be emerging... one by one.
Smile

Yes, the value gems will never let the sophisticated investors down who had faith on them.
Longing to see the some good quarterly reports one by one... pirat



reports alone is not adequate.. CSE need new funds and medium to long term investments....Foreign investors enter only if there is a strong and persistent upward trend in the ASI and MPI............... Regulators and local investors need to maintain an upward trend for some time. ……………recently, when there were bouts of foreign buying CSE appeared green………… Local funds and PLCs should be able to maintain momentum for some time to attract further investments. …………..Investors should be able to recover investment cost and gain some profits to maintain investor confidence……. In the eyes of investors CSE is competing with other stock exchanges in the world………... IMF is observing. ………..improving indices in the stock exchange is vital for good image of a nation………

Hawk Eye

Post Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:12 am by Hawk Eye

After the Franco-German agreement to bailout Greece theres some confidence building up. Lets see things improve or stagnate like this

Redbulls

Post Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:29 pm by Redbulls

Again good one to read at this time.

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum