FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» McDonald’s අපේ නෙමෙයි අපේ බෝස්ගේ – අබාන්ස් කියයි
by ChooBoy Today at 10:19 am

» AI Assistance for Stock Market Research and Analysis
by ChatGPT Today at 7:12 am

» Comparative Analysis of the Insurance Sector
by God Father Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:46 pm

» Sri Lanka: Why Pay Exorbitant Taxes?
by ChatGPT Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:52 pm

» LANKA CREDIT AND BUSINESS FINANCE PLC (LCBF.N0000)
by K.R Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:15 pm

» CENTRAL INDUSTRIES PLC (CIND.N0000)
by D.G.Dayaratne Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:11 am

» SIYAPATHA FINANACE PLC (SLFL.N0000)
by ChatGPT Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:58 am

» FINANCE AND LEASING SECTOR
by ChatGPT Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:45 am

» LOLC FINANCE PLC (LOFC.N0000)
by ChatGPT Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:36 am

» CIC HOLDINGS PLC (CIC.N0000)
by ChatGPT Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:18 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ChatGPT Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:15 am

» First Capital Holdings PLC: Current Financial performance and future outlook
by God Father Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:58 pm

» LankaBizz: Sri Lanka's First ever Artificially Intelligent (AI) Business and Research Assistant
by God Father Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:27 am

» HOTEL AND TRAVEL SECTOR
by ErangaDS Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:22 am

» CIC Holdings Good Times Ahead
by ashan silva Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:00 am

» EPF Fund keep eye on low P/E Shares
by K.R Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:45 am

» SINS - the Tailwind effects of a crisis hit Economy
by Hawk Eye Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:37 am

» Ceylon cold stores
by Hawk Eye Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:25 am

» Asha securities Provide buy signal for CIC
by ddrperera Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:10 am

» CSE ready for another Downtrend?
by D.G.Dayaratne Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:24 am

» LankaLAW Forum : Sri Lanka’s #1 Discussion Platform for Legal Questions and Answers
by blindhog Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:14 am

» Sri Lanka poised to benefit from demand surge for ‘non-China origin’ graphite
by samaritan Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:31 pm

» LOLC hotels
by Maharaja Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:34 pm

» AEL target price ?
by suku502 Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:26 am

» WAPO 200% UP
by LAMDA Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:33 pm

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

Disclaimer
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

The information contained in this FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ have been submitted by third parties directly without any verification by us. The information available in this forum is not researched or purported to be complete description of the subject matter referred to herein. We do not under any circumstances whatsoever guarantee the accuracy and completeness information contained herein. FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not in any way be responsible or liable for loss or damage which any person or party may sustain or incur by relying on the contents of this report and acting directly or indirectly in any manner whatsoever. Trading or investing in stocks & commodities is a high risk activity. Any action you choose to take in the markets is totally your own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental damages or loss arising out of the use of this information. The information on this website is neither an offer to sell nor solicitation to buy any of the securities mentioned herein. The writers may or may not be trading in the securities mentioned.

Further the writers and users shall not induce or attempt to induce another person to trade in securities using this platform (a) by making or publishing any statement or by making any forecast that he knows to be misleading, false or deceptive; (b) by any dishonest concealment of material facts; (c) by the reckless making or publishing, dishonestly or otherwise of any statement or forecast that is misleading, false or deceptive; or (d) by recording or storing in, or by means of, any mechanical, electronic or other device, information that he knows to be false or misleading in a material particular. Any action writers and users take in respect of (a),(b),(c) and (d) above shall be their own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental violation of securities laws of any country, damages or loss arising out of the use of this information.

AI Live Chat

You are not connected. Please login or register

Decision Postponed - We are screwed up yet again.

+22
mono
Tiger
UKboy
nahor
rijayasooriya
JennyFunny
bullrun
cse1981
godswen
ranjanie
CHASE
duke
swan03
Genting
Soundchips
windi5
hunter
stockanalytic
maddu
opfdo
Aamiable
Marketinvest
26 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

CHASE

Manager - Equity Analytics

two news says two things. let's see who's trying to make us fools. scratch

ranjanie

Aiyo, Balagiri dose wage . ekath ada nowe heta ne.Mekath ehemamai.

Genting

Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

windi5 wrote:Next week i think. normally they meet on Wednesdays. they need more time to study broker proposals .

They knew what brokers were proposing for some time.
Seems like they have gone to the meeting without doing any analysis. That's why they ask for more time.

This shows SEC's incompetence again!

Moka munwa path karada danne ne?

swan03

Vice President - Equity Analytics

Disappointed Mad

godswen

Yes, I think the decision is postponed! Will see how the market is gona react!

cse1981

cse1981

Thanks Very Happy
Now market red

bullrun

bullrun
Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics

No Government agencies are properly worked without the intervention by the H.E. President. I know a lot of you hate Mahinda Chnitana. However, you can get a solution if and if only he intervene to this matter too just like happening everywhere.
We can convince him either to allow broker credit or to arrange margin with intuitions.

JennyFunny

Market is gonna crash..if we go like this

rijayasooriya

rijayasooriya
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics

Genting wrote:
windi5 wrote:Next week i think. normally they meet on Wednesdays. they need more time to study broker proposals .

They knew what brokers were proposing for some time.
Seems like they have gone to the meeting without doing any analysis. That's why they ask for more time.

This shows SEC's incompetence again!

Moka munwa path karada danne ne?

I am totally agreed with u.Furthur more it they really want time they can withhold that rule till their next meeting.I think real reason for this some big fellows may be waiting for bargain hunting.

Soundchips

Favorable division might come after monitoring within certain limits...... it is not an easy decision for any government...

nahor

Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic

Like our friend genting says, why the hell did they have the meeting without the proper information in the first place ? They should have gone into this meeting with all available info and then made a decision based on that without further delay.

duke

I think it's a conflict between doing the right thing and doing what is popular. I think some forward thinking people are reluctant to do the popular decision for short term gains. Taking the right decision will not make someone popular but will be good for in the long term. But taking the popular decision will make you hero for sometime but ruin everyone in the long term. But in Sri Lanka usually popular decision usually wins.

rijayasooriya

rijayasooriya

There should be a proper methodology to do anything.Otherwise even with very good intention u can destroy everything.As an example see how the good intelligent parents grow up their child.They use proper methodolgy.Otherwise child can not understand their parents and he/she may think on parents as enemies.Good intention is very important but proper methodology is the secret of achieving that intention.SEC may be lack with this methodology or they may have more interest on HNWIs.

ඇත්තට නිදි මිනහා අවදි කරන්න පුලුවන්ලු....ඒ වුනාට හොරට නිදි මිනිහා අවදි කරන්න බැරිලු...

UKboy

UKboy

duke wrote:I think it's a conflict between doing the right thing and doing what is popular. I think some forward thinking people are reluctant to do the popular decision for short term gains. Taking the right decision will not make someone popular but will be good for in the long term. But taking the popular decision will make you hero for sometime but ruin everyone in the long term. But in Sri Lanka usually popular decision usually wins.

As Sri Lankans, taking popular decisions is in our blood. I hope SEC is strong eough to say no to all these broker huts.
If they desperate for credits then SEC should allow less than 25% credit facility to investors who have really good track records.
Siri Lankawe api, "kanna denawa num bonna denawa num wena mona kengediya da thawa oney kiyanne"

Aamiable

duke wrote:I think it's a conflict between doing the right thing and doing what is popular. I think some forward thinking people are reluctant to do the popular decision for short term gains. Taking the right decision will not make someone popular but will be good for in the long term. But taking the popular decision will make you hero for sometime but ruin everyone in the long term. But in Sri Lanka usually popular decision usually wins.

SEC might take a decision when the broker firms show some discipline, ......when they prove that they can attract new investments and when they demonstrate that market can maintain a sustainable growth then they might relax. ......They say that they are monitoring and considering favourably. .......SEC has at least taken up this issue without telling that no credit at all... investors and brokers have to demonstrate that it is worth giving some of those benefits……

Smile Smile

Aamiable

UKboy wrote:

As Sri Lankans, taking popular decisions is in our blood. I hope SEC is strong eough to say no to all these broker huts.
If they desperate for credits then SEC should allow less than 25% credit facility to investors who have really good track records.
Siri Lankawe api, "kanna denawa num bonna denawa num wena mona kengediya da thawa oney kiyanne"

Yes 25% percent is a good figure. That is some thing any body can settle without any difficulty...throwing stones and mud is not the way to achieve those things ...prove that it is worthy. Then they may give 50% or more…

rijayasooriya

rijayasooriya

Aamiable wrote:
UKboy wrote:

Yes 25% percent is a good figure. That is some thing any body can settle without any difficulty...throwing stones and mud is not the way to achieve those things ...prove that it is worthy. Then they may give 50% or more…

25% or 50% or in between that what it should be avoided is force selling on T+5.If anyone is not worth for credit credit should not be given....But offering it and then force sell on T+5 is nonsense.

At the sametime we can not compare bank loan with broker credit.Broker credit is given only to buy shares and brokers can completely observe it and If broker want they can sell the shares and recover the debt.

But bank loans are different....When we consider the personal loans banks must be very strict with assessing worthiness.Of course there are property loans,vehicle loans,housing loans,etc which are given for definite purposes(like broker credit for buying shares) but in those loans also wothiness should be thoroughly assessed as it is not easy to recollect the debt even with mourtage.In share market brokers can easily sell the shares and recollect the money.So if brokers want to asses the worthiness it should be in a different manner.

SEC should have a proper monitoring system to check whether brokers follow the rules(definitely not this T+5 day rule.)

Tiger

Tiger

Can anybody enlighten the practice in other countries regarding broker credit and margin trading. I hope the SEC decision could be more in line with best practice rather than Sri Lankan practice.

Genting

Here is my proposal for Credit Issue and T+5

1) Give credit up to 100% until T+3, and if its not settle on T+3, force sell 50% on T+5 and charge a fine.
2) Give credit up to 25%-50% of portfolio value and charge interest of 2% per month, calculated and charged on daily basis after T+3.
3)The credit limit is decided by the broker depends on the credit worthiness

JennyFunny

Good point Tiger..

JennyFunny

@ Genting i commented on your topic..
From the above 3 Options
Option 2 is my choice..

Genting

SanjivFund - thanks for the support

2% for month is a high rate. If people being charged with a high interest rate for their unsettled credit, it will discourage people getting credit for long time. Then it will automatically reduce the credit issue without force selling.

JennyFunny

@Tiger..Basically how it works is Brokerages offer 2 types of facilities for stocks.
1)Cash Account
2)Margin Account

This way if you want to trade on margins(good for day trading)then you have to have a Margin Trading account..and the minimum balance is generally higher than a Cash Account.
Whenever the price of a stock falls,which results in Margin Calls.
Most brokerage..90% are quite strict on payments even at the cost of the client..

Happy Trading

JennyFunny

@Genting..exacltly..
The interest to be charged can be debated and calculated if something like this implemented..but the essence is that a high rate will eliminate trading on margin..

JennyFunny

Guys just out of curiousness who is in favour of Credit being allowed & who is not?
Just say Yes/No

Happy Trading

mono

mono

2% per month is absurd. You can get money for lower rates from didgy money lenders.

In anycase, the SEC should stop playing big brother. Give the brokers a credit ceiling that is a multiple of their capital, nothing more than 1X and let the brokerages regulate themselves with strict quarterly audits. Simple.

It's a good thing the SEC is taking their time with this. I hope they analyze the whole situation properly. Everything these moneys have done so far have been knee jerk and reactionary.

Antonym

Antonym

SanjivFund wrote:Guys just out of curiousness who is in favour of Credit being allowed & who is not?
I am in favour of credit being allowed. Although I might not utilize it much, it is reassuring to know that the facility is available in case I need it.

Terms of credit need to be spelt out - maximum duration, recovery mechanism in case of default, interest rate, etc.

wiki

SanjivFund wrote:Guys just out of curiousness who is in favour of Credit being allowed & who is not?
Just say Yes/No

Happy Trading

I am agree with proving regulated credit by brokers because it is convenient for retail investors

wiki

Genting wrote:Here is my proposal for Credit Issue and T+5

1) Give credit up to 100% until T+3, and if its not settle on T+3, force sell 50% on T+5 and charge a fine.
2) Give credit up to 25%-50% of portfolio value and charge interest of 2% per month, calculated and charged on daily basis after T+3.
3)The credit limit is decided by the broker depends on the credit worthiness

2% per month is too much.. Ultimately these brokers will be benefited....what you need do is allow brokers to lend at very low interest rate (equal to banks or even below) so they will not much interest in generating revenue by providing credit

and establishing proper monitoring mechanism

salim

Stock Trader

SEC gave time for big guns to collect n big guns used there media such as DAILYFT n LBO to show the negative side today n ur loosers started selling,n i can c some guys representing big guys here tryng to say there wnt b a flvrble dicission.This forum is also a part of big guys campain n there r all the loosers who were in investnw here also expt the big 1 market watch,i challnge u all nt to delete this post.Guys dnt sell ur stocks without loss,hold tight,dnt let big guns rob u,spcilly chickens will fly to orbit.....

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum