FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» Latest Financial Status and Future Outlook of SMB Finance PLC
by ChatGPT Yesterday at 11:15 pm

» Latest Financial Status and Future Outlook of Overseas Realty PLC
by ChatGPT Yesterday at 11:00 pm

» Latest Financial Status and Future Outlook of Merchant Bank of Sri Lanka & Finance PLC
by ChatGPT Yesterday at 10:55 pm

» McDonald’s අපේ නෙමෙයි අපේ බෝස්ගේ – අබාන්ස් කියයි
by ChooBoy Yesterday at 10:19 am

» AI Assistance for Stock Market Research and Analysis
by ChatGPT Yesterday at 7:12 am

» Comparative Analysis of the Insurance Sector
by God Father Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:46 pm

» Sri Lanka: Why Pay Exorbitant Taxes?
by ChatGPT Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:52 pm

» LANKA CREDIT AND BUSINESS FINANCE PLC (LCBF.N0000)
by K.R Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:15 pm

» CENTRAL INDUSTRIES PLC (CIND.N0000)
by D.G.Dayaratne Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:11 am

» SIYAPATHA FINANACE PLC (SLFL.N0000)
by ChatGPT Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:58 am

» FINANCE AND LEASING SECTOR
by ChatGPT Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:45 am

» LOLC FINANCE PLC (LOFC.N0000)
by ChatGPT Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:36 am

» CIC HOLDINGS PLC (CIC.N0000)
by ChatGPT Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:18 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ChatGPT Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:15 am

» First Capital Holdings PLC: Current Financial performance and future outlook
by God Father Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:58 pm

» LankaBizz: Sri Lanka's First ever Artificially Intelligent (AI) Business and Research Assistant
by God Father Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:27 am

» HOTEL AND TRAVEL SECTOR
by ErangaDS Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:22 am

» CIC Holdings Good Times Ahead
by ashan silva Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:00 am

» EPF Fund keep eye on low P/E Shares
by K.R Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:45 am

» SINS - the Tailwind effects of a crisis hit Economy
by Hawk Eye Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:37 am

» Ceylon cold stores
by Hawk Eye Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:25 am

» Asha securities Provide buy signal for CIC
by ddrperera Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:10 am

» CSE ready for another Downtrend?
by D.G.Dayaratne Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:24 am

» LankaLAW Forum : Sri Lanka’s #1 Discussion Platform for Legal Questions and Answers
by blindhog Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:14 am

» Sri Lanka poised to benefit from demand surge for ‘non-China origin’ graphite
by samaritan Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:31 pm

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

Disclaimer
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

The information contained in this FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ have been submitted by third parties directly without any verification by us. The information available in this forum is not researched or purported to be complete description of the subject matter referred to herein. We do not under any circumstances whatsoever guarantee the accuracy and completeness information contained herein. FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not in any way be responsible or liable for loss or damage which any person or party may sustain or incur by relying on the contents of this report and acting directly or indirectly in any manner whatsoever. Trading or investing in stocks & commodities is a high risk activity. Any action you choose to take in the markets is totally your own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental damages or loss arising out of the use of this information. The information on this website is neither an offer to sell nor solicitation to buy any of the securities mentioned herein. The writers may or may not be trading in the securities mentioned.

Further the writers and users shall not induce or attempt to induce another person to trade in securities using this platform (a) by making or publishing any statement or by making any forecast that he knows to be misleading, false or deceptive; (b) by any dishonest concealment of material facts; (c) by the reckless making or publishing, dishonestly or otherwise of any statement or forecast that is misleading, false or deceptive; or (d) by recording or storing in, or by means of, any mechanical, electronic or other device, information that he knows to be false or misleading in a material particular. Any action writers and users take in respect of (a),(b),(c) and (d) above shall be their own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental violation of securities laws of any country, damages or loss arising out of the use of this information.

AI Live Chat

You are not connected. Please login or register

Here Are The Ground Rules For Successful Investing

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

sriranga

sriranga
Co-Admin

Not long ago investing was easy. There were few places you could invest and if you had money you wanted to invest, you left it to the professional stock brokers. However, deregulation of the financial markets has changed all this. In the past 20 years new investment products have been launched, changes have been made to the tax systems and retirement plans which have altered the attractiveness of many investment products.

Up to about 20 years ago, share investing was purely in the domain of the wealthy. For most people it was difficult to trade in overseas stock exchanges, there were no such thing as cash management trusts, installment warrants, exchange traded options, dividend imputation, reset preference shares and endowment warrants - to name a few. Now about 50% of investors are "mums and dads" investors who either own shares directly or in managed funds. Unfortunately, in recent years many investors have been "burnt" because they did not understand the risks of investing in financial markets.

Governments around the world have made it clear that it is important for people to take control of their own financial futures. The sustainability of government funded pensions is under pressure. If you do not save and invest, you will suffer a significant decline in your retirement living standard. The average life expectancy is about 80 years, so if you retire at 60 years of age, the savings you have accumulated in the 40 years of your working life will need to fund your retirement of 20 years or more.

Deregulation of financial markets, interest rates and currencies means that the market determines the value of investments and not government decree. This provides opportunities for educated investors to build wealth and for unwary investors to lose wealth. You must understand the opportunities and risks.

The ground rule is that if you want to be a successful investor in financial markets, you must educate yourself about investing. Even if you put your faith in a licensed investment advisor, not all are competent. It is essential that you understand how the financial markets work so that you do not put your hard earned money in the hands of an incompetent advisor who is only interested in the commissions available. How can you tell whether a particular investment is right for you? The only sure way is to become familiar with the language used in the financial industry and to have a sound investment strategy. Does this mean that you should keep you money safe by putting it under the bed or keeping it in the bank? No - but you do need to understand the risks involved and set ground rules for successful investing.

There are a number of ground rules in investing that haves stood the test of time. With time, patience and effort you can become a successful investor in all the areas that are open to you. This will not come overnight and you will have to be prepared for that fact there will be times you lose money. However,perseverance is a virtue above all others. The road is not always easy, but nothing worthwhile is.

Here are the ground rules for successful investing:

1. Be your own investment manager. No advisor or stockbroker should do it for you. Only you know what your real needs are, what your temperament is - and only you are motivated by your own best interests, not sales commissions. It is also more fun to do it yourself.

2. Confront risk and then reduce it through spreading your investments.

3. Take a contrarians view to investment markets. That is, look for opportunities and do the opposite of what everyone else is doing.

If your investing facts are out-of-date, how will that affect your actions and decisions? Make certain you don't let important investing information slip by you.

4. Do not be put off by investment jargon. Master it instead.

5. NOW is the best time to start investing. Do not wait for the markets to improve. If the share market is filled with gloom, that is the time to buy.

6. Make good quality shares the core of your investment strategy. Then you can rest easy when you invest in more speculative areas.

7. Always consider tax implications of making investments but never let tax minimization be the main objective. The fundamental rule is to think in terms of after-tax returns.

8. Keep up to date through reading the financial papers and searching independent investment research websites.

9. Discussing investments is stimulating. Condition your mind to talk to others about investing, especially people who are more experienced and knowledgeable than you are.

10. Do not be greedy. Discipline yourself to cut your losses with bad investments and cash in when you have made a reasonable profit.

11. Be patient. Rome was not built in a day. Similarly, you may not become wealthy overnight, but you will over time.

12. Never invest in anything you do not understand. If a particular investment sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

13. Pay yourself first. Most people invest money they have left over after paying the bills. Allocate yourself the first 10% of your monthly income to build up your investment capital. By doing this you will force yourself to become an investor and the long term benefits will be enormous.

If you master these 13 ground rules, you will be a successful investor. You will rival so-called professionals and will sleep easily at night knowing that money is the least of your worries.

Have a good trade.

Source: Investing

http://sharemarket-srilanka.blogspot.co.uk/
Share this post on: reddit

Antonym

Post Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:43 pm by Antonym

Another excellent post by sriranga!

I find Rule No. 10 the most difficult to follow because -
(1) I am never willing to admit that I have made a 'bad investment'. How do you define a bad investment?
(2) I can never decide what is a 'reasonable profit'. Is 20% per annum adequate? Why not 50%? Or 100%?

Any advice on these points?

sriranga

Post Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:24 pm by sriranga

@ Antonym
Thanks a lot for your valuable feed back.
In my humble opinion towards bad investment is
" Bad investments come in many forms. Sometimes because of unscrupulous sales people; other times because of our own ignorance or naivety".In the long term they will all result in poor performance or loss of money.May be I'm wrong please advice.
For me personally if I get on my investment (not trading) around 25% return per annum at this present state of economy, I'll be happy.
All of us know very well, more than that make as more happy no?
Comments appreciated.

NimeshaJK

Post Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:25 pm by NimeshaJK

WOW.. great piece of advice... I specially love rule no. 01.. Smile

bakapandithaya

Post Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:39 pm by bakapandithaya

Thx for good advice sriranga

pathum

Post Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:28 pm by pathum

Nice read bro!!! Thanks for the share!

Post Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:43 pm by gajaman pro

Laughing sup!

Post Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:00 pm by Investor99

Antonym wrote:Another excellent post by sriranga!

(2) I can never decide what is a 'reasonable profit'. Is 20% per annum adequate? Why not 50%? Or 100%?

Sorry to say this but I would look at this as greed this were most investors make the mistake of trying to make a lot of money.

Kithsiri

Post Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:10 pm by Kithsiri

Yet again an excellent one & thanks for you efforts.
I like most is the point No 13 (though many consider number 13 as an inauspicious number) Pay You First. Very Happy

Post Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:35 pm by swan03

Good article! +1 rep from me.

Post Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:19 pm by Ajith Rajapakse

Sriranga,
Once again you have posted a very good article. Thank you very much for sharing with all of us,

Antonym

Post Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:06 pm by Antonym

Investor99 wrote:

Sorry to say this but I would look at this as greed this were most investors make the mistake of trying to make a lot of money.
I agree that too much greed is dangerous.
But my question was: How do you decide what is a reasonable profit?

Post Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:40 pm by Quibit

Article moved to Expert Chamber

smallville

Post Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:09 am by smallville

I find Rule No. 10 the most difficult to follow because -
(1) I am never willing to admit that I have made a 'bad investment'. How do you define a bad investment?

If we're simply looking for an investment, my definition of bad investment would be like this;

1) Invest in Illiquid shares where you cannot sell in a hurry.
2) Investing in a business that is alien to your apetite.. which means you dont understand what is going on.
3) Getting married to a particular sector or zero diversification. Any business can go wrong, diversify your investment to 2-3 sectors or shares at least would save your initial objective.
4) Invest 90% your money in CSE. Stocks it self is a bad investment if you dont mitigate the risks properly, so the max your should invest in here is 50% of your hard earned money.
5) Invest in companies for share price appreciation without studying their business model at all. share prices can fall at anytime if financials are weak.

Further, I define reasonable profit as the capital gains compared to an alternative investment;
Suppose a FD or any other investment oppertunity gives u a 12% return annualy, 15% from stocks is a reasonable profit for the risks that you take in.

Kumar

Post Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:37 pm by Kumar

Thanks a lot sharing a valuable article.
Keep it up.

cseguide

Post Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:10 pm by cseguide

Thanks lot

CSE.SAS

Post Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:45 pm by CSE.SAS

Very good one.
Covering all the basic needs to be an investor.
Thanks.

Post Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:05 pm by Light of Hope

good one, thanks

Redbulls

Post Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:53 pm by Redbulls

Good one to read.

rmark

Post Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:53 pm by rmark

Sriranga, thank you for sharing a very good article.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum