FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by ErangaDS Yesterday at 10:24 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ErangaDS Yesterday at 10:22 am

» ‘Port City Colombo makes progress in attracting key investments’
by samaritan Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 am

» Mahaweli Reach Hotels (MRH.N)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:25 pm

» THE KANDY HOTELS COMPANY (1983) PLC (KHC.N0000)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:23 pm

» ACCESS ENGINEERING PLC (AEL) Will pass IPO Price of Rs 25 ?????
by ddrperera Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:09 pm

» LANKA CREDIT AND BUSINESS FINANCE PLC (LCBF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:40 am

» FIRST CAPITAL HOLDINGS PLC (CFVF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:38 am

» LOLC FINANCE PLC (LOFC.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:20 am

» SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC (SLTL.N0000)
by sureshot Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:37 am

» COCR IN TROUBLE?
by D.G.Dayaratne Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:59 pm

» Sri Lanka confident of speedy debt resolution as positive economic reforms echoes at IMF/WB meetings
by samaritan Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:28 am

» TAFL is the most undervalued & highly potential counter in the Poultry Sector
by LAMDA Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:58 am

» Construction Sector Boom with Purchasing manager's indices
by rukshan1234 Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:24 pm

» Asha Securities and Asia Securities Target AEL (Access Enginnering PLC )
by Anushka Perz Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:30 pm

» Sri Lanka: China EXIM Bank Debt Moratorium to End in April 2024
by DeepFreakingValue Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:22 pm

» Uncertainty over impending elections could risk Lanka’s economic recovery: ADB
by God Father Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:47 pm

» Sri Lanka's Debt Restructuring Hits Roadblock with Bondholders
by God Father Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:42 pm

» BROWN'S INVESTMENTS SHOULD CONSIDER BUYING BITCOIN
by ADVENTUS Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:48 pm

» Bank run leading the way in 2024
by bkasun Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:21 pm

» ASPI: Undoing GR/Covid19!
by DeepFreakingValue Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:25 am

» Learn CSE Rules and Regulations with the help of AI Assistant
by ChatGPT Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:47 am

» Top AI tools in Sri Lanka
by ChatGPT Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:21 am

» HDFC- Best ever profit reported in 2023
by ApolloCSE Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:43 pm

» WAPO 200% UP
by LAMDA Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:41 pm

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

Disclaimer
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

The information contained in this FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ have been submitted by third parties directly without any verification by us. The information available in this forum is not researched or purported to be complete description of the subject matter referred to herein. We do not under any circumstances whatsoever guarantee the accuracy and completeness information contained herein. FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not in any way be responsible or liable for loss or damage which any person or party may sustain or incur by relying on the contents of this report and acting directly or indirectly in any manner whatsoever. Trading or investing in stocks & commodities is a high risk activity. Any action you choose to take in the markets is totally your own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental damages or loss arising out of the use of this information. The information on this website is neither an offer to sell nor solicitation to buy any of the securities mentioned herein. The writers may or may not be trading in the securities mentioned.

Further the writers and users shall not induce or attempt to induce another person to trade in securities using this platform (a) by making or publishing any statement or by making any forecast that he knows to be misleading, false or deceptive; (b) by any dishonest concealment of material facts; (c) by the reckless making or publishing, dishonestly or otherwise of any statement or forecast that is misleading, false or deceptive; or (d) by recording or storing in, or by means of, any mechanical, electronic or other device, information that he knows to be false or misleading in a material particular. Any action writers and users take in respect of (a),(b),(c) and (d) above shall be their own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental violation of securities laws of any country, damages or loss arising out of the use of this information.

AI Live Chat

You are not connected. Please login or register

SEYLAN BANK PLS HELP

+7
Fresher
UKboy
chamith
milanka
kuk83
SL.Market
wcg1976
11 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1SEYLAN BANK   PLS HELP Empty SEYLAN BANK PLS HELP Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:33 am

wcg1976

Stock Trader

I bought 30000 Seylan bank X shares @ Rs 51.00 few months ago anticipating a banking sector run. But later realized that i have bought them at the peak.Now i am having a loss of Rs 454,000/. In order to mitigate the loss what is the best possible option.
EXPERTS PLS ADVISE!!!!!!!!!!!

1. To subscribe the rights @35.
2. To sell my other portfolio which is in profit and buy more SEY X shares at present price to average the price and sell later.( i can buy another 60000 shares if i sold oters with profit.
3. Just wait and see

YOUR EXPERT COMMENTS ARE WELCOME. Neutral Neutral Neutral

Last edited by wcg1976 on Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

2SEYLAN BANK   PLS HELP Empty Re: SEYLAN BANK PLS HELP Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:37 am

SL.Market

SL.Market
Vice President - Equity Analytics

wcg1976 wrote:I bought 3000 Seylan bank X shares @ Rs 51.00 few months ago anticipating a banking sector run. But later realized that i have bought them at the peak.Now i am having a lost Rs 454,000/. In order to mitigate the loss what is the best possible option.

2. To sell my other portfolio which is in profit and buy more SEY X shares at present price to average the price and sell later.( i can buy another 60000 shares if i sold oters with profit.
3. Just wait and see

My advise is to buy 2000 at 37 level and subcribe to all rights you will be allocated..

3SEYLAN BANK   PLS HELP Empty Re: SEYLAN BANK PLS HELP Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:27 am

kuk83

kuk83
Manager - Equity Analytics

Cant give any advice regarding selling of other shares without knowing what are those.

4SEYLAN BANK   PLS HELP Empty Re: SEYLAN BANK PLS HELP Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:03 pm

milanka

milanka

wcg1976 wrote:I bought 30000 Seylan bank X shares @ Rs 51.00 few months ago anticipating a banking sector run. But later realized that i have bought them at the peak.Now i am having a lost Rs 454,000/. In order to mitigate the loss what is the best possible option.

3. Just wait and see

I am no expert. I would select option 1 to buy all allocated rights and also try my luck and request for additional shares of SEYB rights @ rs. 35/= . Then you can average and recover upto some extent. [I may be wrong and do your own judgement ]

Good luck.

http://forum.srilankaequity.com/u188

5SEYLAN BANK   PLS HELP Empty Re: SEYLAN BANK PLS HELP Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:03 pm

chamith

chamith
Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics

join the club mate.
We ben discussing this issue over n over again.
I also brought at 48 thinking banking sector will show some colours. In seyb everything got messed up due to the stupid right issue. I had my hopes till few days back that, directors will amend the right issue n make it bit attractive atleast after seeing da prices falling. I did avg my cost by buying at 40 which made the things worse. Never thought it will fall down to the level of the right issue.

We can actually get the entitlement to the rights n sell the rights in the market. Tht may mitigate the loss a bit. Recently i saw some big collection going on. So lets hopw for the best. Might pick up near rhe xr date. Sure got ur dividends. But to be honest i think this may take long time to recover. If ur a long term investor, u r the man......

6SEYLAN BANK   PLS HELP Empty Re: SEYLAN BANK PLS HELP Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:14 pm

UKboy

UKboy
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics

wcg1976 wrote:I bought 30000 Seylan bank X shares @ Rs 51.00 few months ago anticipating a banking sector run. But later realized that i have bought them at the peak.Now i am having a lost Rs 454,000/. In order to mitigate the loss what is the best possible option.

3. Just wait and see

Well..... wcg1976 you are in a very tough position.
If I were in your position I would sell 6000 SEYX shares at the open market (with a loss of nearly Rs100,000) & then subscribe rights @ 35 (subscribe right for 24,000 shares)
investing more money is not really worth with SEYX. Because you may have to wait long time to get the benefits of current restructuring phase.

7SEYLAN BANK   PLS HELP Empty Re: SEYLAN BANK PLS HELP Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:54 pm

Fresher

I had some SEYB.X which I bought at 50. But this was only and 2-3% of my portfolio.
Later with the rights issue announcement it crashed. Expected it to stop somewhere and bought more till it went down. If I am to hold on to them, I will need more money to subscribe for rights.
So I sold part of it at the best possible price these days for a loss and invested it elsewhere.

So yes, if your others shares are good, don't sell them. If you buy more to average, you will need more money to subscribe for rights

8SEYLAN BANK   PLS HELP Empty Re: SEYLAN BANK PLS HELP Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:12 pm

StocksWatch

I am also holding Seyb X at an avg cost of 45.60. I will be closely monitoring any developments within next couple of weeks and then decide what do to do with this.

Anything can happen within this couple of weeks. The price may be manipulated to look the rights attractive or those who are in short of money to subcribe for rights may start dumping.

We also have to option to trade rights although rights may not attract a good price unless the share price appreciates from current levels.

I have no one else to blame other than the directors of this company for putting their minor investors in this situation. Mad

9SEYLAN BANK   PLS HELP Empty Re: SEYLAN BANK Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:39 pm

CSE Today

CSE Today

While all the retail stake holders are worried over the SEYB issue, I see some thing different way - may be correct or wrong but the whole episode smells my thinking is to be little possible

Earlier the CBSL tried to find an investor to take over/Merge the SEYB and failed its attempt due to undisclosed reasons.

Now I guess the "Directors by sticking into Rights issue with its original prices & quantities and they are upto a pre -arrangement of subscribers [could not be one subscriber as the CBSL banking act do not allow any party to acquire more than 10% of a running Commercial bank]..who will together take the control of SEYB & later go for a merger ..which was the willingness of the CBSL

to support the pre-arranged investors the SEYB N share price @ the trading floor is kept low by purposely [follow the pattern of dumping of SEYB shares at lower prices every time SEYB get momentum & start a upward trend]..by this way the present share holders will be discouraged & will not subscribe to the Rights & the said pre -arranged party has the opportunity to get the maximum by the way of additional applications....!

[While SEYB N is kept low X will also be traded much lower]

Best option at the moment is to hold the shares & to subscribe to the full allocation of rights..if my thinking goes correct then after the issue SEYB will move up very fast & the PPL who was holding+subscribed to R will be the winners ...But never buy more & more thinking to average the cost...it's not a good practice I guess...!

10SEYLAN BANK   PLS HELP Empty Re: SEYLAN BANK PLS HELP Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:04 pm

StocksWatch

CSE Today wrote:While all the retail stake holders are worried over the SEYB issue, I see some thing different way - may be correct or wrong but the whole episode smells my thinking is to be little possible

Earlier the CBSL tried to find an investor to take over/Merge the SEYB and failed its attempt due to undisclosed reasons.

Now I guess the "Directors by sticking into Rights issue with its original prices & quantities and they are upto a pre -arrangement of subscribers [could not be one subscriber as the CBSL banking act do not allow any party to acquire more than 10% of a running Commercial bank]..who will together take the control of SEYB & later go for a merger ..which was the willingness of the CBSL

to support the pre-arranged investors the SEYB N share price @ the trading floor is kept low by purposely [follow the pattern of dumping of SEYB shares at lower prices every time SEYB get momentum & start a upward trend]..by this way the present share holders will be discouraged & will not subscribe to the Rights & the said pre -arranged party has the opportunity to get the maximum by the way of additional applications....!

Best option at the moment is to hold the shares & to subscribe to the full allocation of rights..if my thinking goes correct then after the issue SEYB will move up very fast & the PPL who was holding+subscribed to R will be the winners ...But never buy more & more thinking to average the cost...it's not a good practice I guess...!

Yes this is a valid point and infact a possibility. The possibility that Seylan bank may have done a pre-arrangement for their rights was discussed many times in this forum.

We have to wait and see for more clues before coming into any conclusion.

+ rep for elaborating this point further for the benefit of all who are stuck with this share.

11SEYLAN BANK   PLS HELP Empty Re: SEYLAN BANK PLS HELP Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:30 pm

Slstock

Slstock
Director - Equity Analytics

CSE Today wrote:While all the retail stake holders are worried over the SEYB issue, I see some thing different way - may be correct or wrong but the whole episode smells my thinking is to be little possible

I mentioned this possibility before in another thread. Don;t think it caught anyone eye at that time. Below is what I said on April 16th

"Regarding SEYB,

I am not sure on this ( please don;t quote me) , but am not sure whether SEYB hassupport some pre arrangement with institutional/HNW support to subscribe for their rights completely at their offered prices if the retailers fail. If by XR date if the SEYB price don;t not go up to make the right issue attractive that means there is no push. In turn it could mean what I said before. The way SEYB have acted with a 1 Rs Dividend then rights issue and then and delayed announcement of right issues dates it appears that way right now. If you look at OSEA and LITE, the right issues would have been failure as OSEA was trading at right price of 15 and LITE at 8. SO essentially the right issue would have been unsuccessfull in our eye. At least in the OSEA case I heard that their mother company bought all( most) remaining OSEA rights on a pre arragement. Am wondering the same for SEYB???

I really HOPE NOT, as a small investor as I already lost considerable money on SEYB due to this right issue. I hope they will protect their smaller time investors like myself and many. I know after talking to some on the forum they loss money on SEYB too right now. After this loss if they want even more money from me ( for rights) hmm...?

Note : To be unbiased, if n ot for this right issue mess to date, I believe SEYB to be a good long term bank with low PBV and decent earning with improving financials. It was attractive before the right issue. The right issue with influx of more capital should make the bank stringer for the future."

http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t2755-brief-analysis-of-the-banking-sector

12SEYLAN BANK   PLS HELP Empty Re: SEYLAN BANK PLS HELP Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:47 pm

wikum100

Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

good thinking + from me

13SEYLAN BANK   PLS HELP Empty Re SEYB Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:54 pm

CSE Today

CSE Today

slstock wrote:
I mentioned this possibility before in another thread. Don;t think it caught anyone eye at that time. Below is what I said on April 16th

Thanks for the info
Are you trying to say that I hijacked your idea...? then you are wrong your posting is on 16th April...

Just see my posting on below link & date of posting

http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t2231-banking-sector-analysis-combhnbseybntbsambdfcchdfcndbpapc-and-mbsl?highlight=seyb

Sun March 27th

My suspicion is...That the Dividend is for the present share holders and the rights issue is targeted at prearranged buyer....who may apply for full issue as additional rights application [some thing similar to underwriting] ...! so by the way of rights the Bank will get the targeted 4BN @ the same time showing all the citizens & stake holders that the Bank is in correct path by giving a Dividend...!

Anyway no offense who is to mention it first,...we all are on same boat re SEYB -lets go ahead....cheers...!

14SEYLAN BANK   PLS HELP Empty Re: SEYLAN BANK PLS HELP Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:13 pm

Slstock

Slstock

CSE Today wrote:
slstock wrote:

Thanks for the info
Are you trying to say that I hijacked your idea...? then you are wrong your posting is on 16th April...

Just see my posting on below link & date of posting

http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t2231-banking-sector-analysis-combhnbseybntbsambdfcchdfcndbpapc-and-mbsl?highlight=seyb

Sun March 27th

My suspicion is...That the Dividend is for the present share holders and the rights issue is targeted at prearranged buyer....who may apply for full issue as additional rights application [some thing similar to underwriting] ...! so by the way of rights the Bank will get the targeted 4BN @ the same time showing all the citizens & stake holders that the Bank is in correct path by giving a Dividend...!

Anyway no offense who is to mention it first,...we all are on same boat re SEYB -lets go ahead....cheers...!

There is no competition here. We are all victims at the moment of the right issue debacle and have common interests and concerns.

No I did not saying you hijacked anything . All I said is I also mentioned the same possibility on another thread which did not probably catch the eye at that time. I see you mentioned it too.

Anyway let hope all of us small investors who got caught to the badly timed right issue can survive this in the medium term.

I still think SEYB is a good bank for medium to long term. I recently saw broker report recommending it as a buy
( sometime in February) and showed estimaetd value of Rs 120+ for the SEYB.N. This right issue killed a potential and made some of loose money within the last 2 months .

15SEYLAN BANK   PLS HELP Empty Thank you Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:35 pm

wcg1976

Stock Trader

Dear friends
thank you for valuable comments. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum