FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by ErangaDS Yesterday at 10:24 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ErangaDS Yesterday at 10:22 am

» ‘Port City Colombo makes progress in attracting key investments’
by samaritan Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 am

» Mahaweli Reach Hotels (MRH.N)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:25 pm

» THE KANDY HOTELS COMPANY (1983) PLC (KHC.N0000)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:23 pm

» ACCESS ENGINEERING PLC (AEL) Will pass IPO Price of Rs 25 ?????
by ddrperera Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:09 pm

» LANKA CREDIT AND BUSINESS FINANCE PLC (LCBF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:40 am

» FIRST CAPITAL HOLDINGS PLC (CFVF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:38 am

» LOLC FINANCE PLC (LOFC.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:20 am

» SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC (SLTL.N0000)
by sureshot Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:37 am

» COCR IN TROUBLE?
by D.G.Dayaratne Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:59 pm

» Sri Lanka confident of speedy debt resolution as positive economic reforms echoes at IMF/WB meetings
by samaritan Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:28 am

» TAFL is the most undervalued & highly potential counter in the Poultry Sector
by LAMDA Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:58 am

» Construction Sector Boom with Purchasing manager's indices
by rukshan1234 Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:24 pm

» Asha Securities and Asia Securities Target AEL (Access Enginnering PLC )
by Anushka Perz Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:30 pm

» Sri Lanka: China EXIM Bank Debt Moratorium to End in April 2024
by DeepFreakingValue Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:22 pm

» Uncertainty over impending elections could risk Lanka’s economic recovery: ADB
by God Father Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:47 pm

» Sri Lanka's Debt Restructuring Hits Roadblock with Bondholders
by God Father Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:42 pm

» BROWN'S INVESTMENTS SHOULD CONSIDER BUYING BITCOIN
by ADVENTUS Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:48 pm

» Bank run leading the way in 2024
by bkasun Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:21 pm

» ASPI: Undoing GR/Covid19!
by DeepFreakingValue Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:25 am

» Learn CSE Rules and Regulations with the help of AI Assistant
by ChatGPT Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:47 am

» Top AI tools in Sri Lanka
by ChatGPT Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:21 am

» HDFC- Best ever profit reported in 2023
by ApolloCSE Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:43 pm

» WAPO 200% UP
by LAMDA Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:41 pm

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

Disclaimer
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

The information contained in this FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ have been submitted by third parties directly without any verification by us. The information available in this forum is not researched or purported to be complete description of the subject matter referred to herein. We do not under any circumstances whatsoever guarantee the accuracy and completeness information contained herein. FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not in any way be responsible or liable for loss or damage which any person or party may sustain or incur by relying on the contents of this report and acting directly or indirectly in any manner whatsoever. Trading or investing in stocks & commodities is a high risk activity. Any action you choose to take in the markets is totally your own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental damages or loss arising out of the use of this information. The information on this website is neither an offer to sell nor solicitation to buy any of the securities mentioned herein. The writers may or may not be trading in the securities mentioned.

Further the writers and users shall not induce or attempt to induce another person to trade in securities using this platform (a) by making or publishing any statement or by making any forecast that he knows to be misleading, false or deceptive; (b) by any dishonest concealment of material facts; (c) by the reckless making or publishing, dishonestly or otherwise of any statement or forecast that is misleading, false or deceptive; or (d) by recording or storing in, or by means of, any mechanical, electronic or other device, information that he knows to be false or misleading in a material particular. Any action writers and users take in respect of (a),(b),(c) and (d) above shall be their own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental violation of securities laws of any country, damages or loss arising out of the use of this information.

AI Live Chat

You are not connected. Please login or register

It's Chicken Season - Those who like MASALA join d party (An analysis of poultry sector)

+8
bePositive
worthiness
smallville
hasi17
Marketinvest
TortoizePlus
pathfinder
hariesha
12 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

hariesha

Vice President - Equity Analytics

1. Sector reports higher profits during festive season (Dec. and March) and share prices also high during this period.

2. I saw some people have stated these as JUNK stock. But they are definitely NOT JUNK as can be seen in the analysis.

3. One of the high growth sectors as consumption is expected to increase with the increasing per capita income.

4. Restrictive factor is the restrictions imposed by the government for the import of maze as a measure to encourage the local cultivation. Though last year this was seen as a restriction, now it has become a positive factor as all the companies have established out-grower networks. I think companies are now eager to develop these networks as respective farmers are their future consumers since the market growth in rural areas are higher as they have less access to fresh fish.

5. Prices of maize, the main raw material, ski-rocketed during Feb.2011-Aug.2011, as most of the cultivation were destroyed during massive floods in early 2011. But unlike in the past, all the companies reported significant positive results for the June and Sep. quarters as companies now has more control in raw material prices as they have established out-grower networks and they can now maintain buffer stocks in case of future disasters.

6. Share prices of poultry stocks came down significantly during last two quarters as earnings were less than expected, due to high prices of maize prevailed. But if similar crop disaster didn’t happened next year we can expect more profits from the sector, which will definitely reflect in the share prices.

7. Last year BFL started a modern farm in Puttalam, which is having a 10 year tax holiday. Company reported that they have harvested the first production during Sep. 2011. So we can expect better results in the future.

8. In estimating future share prices, I have calculated minimum price @ 10X PER and maximum price on 15X PER on last four quarters earnings. I think this is conservative as profits of the last two quarters were affected by higher maize prices due to crop loss which is unlikely to happen again and companies may have taken steps to face such a scenario by now (maintaining buffer stocks, etc).

9. One more positive factor in the chicken sector is most institutions and HNWIs has purchased these shares at very much higher prices. Ie: EPF bought GRAN at Rs.228/- and LAGFS bought above Rs.190/-. So people who are entering now definitely in a more advantageous position.

As user space restrictions, I have posted the analysis in the Research Sector.
Please visit and see the Excell Sheet.

http://research.srilankaequity.com/t179-it-s-chicken-season-those-who-like-masala-join-d-party

Last edited by hariesha on Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

pathfinder

pathfinder
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

Good work,thanks for sharing.This is the way to discuss a share price rather than promoting a junk blindly.
I also collecting those gems these days,hope panic sellers will help me.

TortoizePlus

TortoizePlus
Manager - Equity Analytics
Manager - Equity Analytics

Thanks hariesha,

Good work

Marketinvest

Marketinvest

Good research.
I have just one question do u know whether the institutional buyers still hold the shares they purchased at high price?
I think this is the question we all should be answering...
Even if they hold who is again going to push the share price so high in the prevailing market conditions.

hasi17

Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic

Most important thing is the tax for raw materials for chicken feed has gone up this year.

I think chicken farm stocks are going around 10 - 15 PER at the moment and it's a bit overvalued, in my opinion. You have to account for the off season as well as other chicken problems. If the profits go up in the December season then if you like to buy these shares then the best thing to do is avoid buying in the festive season and wait for off season time.

I don't think you can do the same trick so soon. It's not easy to forget your money get halved less than 12 months ago. If everybody buys at the current price expecting to sell at profits, who will buy it later from you.

smallville

smallville
Associate Director - Equity Analytics

Good one hariesha, thanks.. Wink

hariesha

Marketinvest wrote:Good research.
I have just one question do u know whether the institutional buyers still hold the shares they purchased at high price?
I think this is the question we all should be answering...
Even if they hold who is again going to push the share price so high in the prevailing market conditions.

The players who didn't exit at the top still holding.

BFL
• ETF has increased their holding from 183,100 to 491,000 june 30th to sep. 30th
• Confifi Management Services is in the buying mode (A related company to chairman of BFL, at the peak of
the rally they were in the selling side)
• Peoples Bank – a new entrant to the top 20 list
• Several HNWIs has entered the top 20 list as new entrants

TAFL

• Philip securities, Perputual Capital and several HNWIs has increased the shareholding during june 30th to sep. 30th

GRAN

• EPF is increasing their holding and Laugf is still holding

*** BFL, TAFL and GRAN no of issued shares are very less compare to their organizational size. BFL only 16M issued shares, TAFL only 23M and GRAN 60M. So the price movement is easy. See the last week and current week price movement. Lot of GRANs were traded between 107-114 last week. Look at month to date high of GRAN 116. Now 95-96. It's 20% gain even in dull month. If GRAN prices didn't move by 31st EPF is reporting more than 50% loss for the investment.

*** In last Jan. these shares had fundermental value for the prices traded. But due to crop disaster, earnings were reduced. Now that impact is over. If market sentiments got changed people who are investing now will get more than 80% return may be within less than a month. I strongly feel these shares will give at least 20% return by year end.

hariesha

hasi17 wrote:Most important thing is the tax for raw materials for chicken feed has gone up this year.

I think chicken farm stocks are going around 10 - 15 PER at the moment and it's a bit overvalued, in my opinion. You have to account for the off season as well as other chicken problems. If the profits go up in the December season then if you like to buy these shares then the best thing to do is avoid buying in the festive season and wait for off season time.

I don't think you can do the same trick so soon. It's not easy to forget your money get halved less than 12 months ago. If everybody buys at the current price expecting to sell at profits, who will buy it later from you.

** I have discussed the tax case in my study. In last year it had an impact. But now it's not. Because maize crop of Sri Lanka has gone up drastically, and growing continually. All the chicken companies (even unlisted firms) are with grower networks with buy back agreements. So import tax is not relevant now, and companies are with plans for buffer stocks.

** Actually lot of people took these import restrictions on negative note last year. Even I was bit upset as this is one of my favorite sectors in investing. But it's a very good policy decision by the government, as now our maize growers has gone up by about 50%. Even NE farmers are joined in the cultivation of maize. Growth of income of rural community is highly favorable for chicken companies. So it’s a highly commendable decision by the government.

** Your last point is against the fundamental mechanism of share trading. So it's simply irrelevant. If I am answering who will buy when prices go up, “It’s the people who didn't buy when prices are low". When the market is not performing lot of people are not investing. But when it's start to move up, day by day people are coming in. So people who invest in depressed conditions will make profits.

** PER of 10-15 is a very low PER for the chicken sector. One is this PER is based on high maize prices with a crop disaster, and with off season results. Things will change with next quarter results, but then it’s good time to sell not to buy. But if you look at the long term, prospects are very high. Look at the growth in tourism.

worthiness

Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics

Point no.3 is bit questionable?

Is increased per Capita income distributed among population for higher consumption?
Is not that per Capita income abnormally pushed due to unequal revenue distribution absorbed by 5% elite group.

Please comment...

bePositive

bePositive

hariesha wrote:
hasi17 wrote:Most important thing is the tax for raw materials for chicken feed has gone up this year.

** I have discussed the tax case in my study. In last year it had an impact. But now it's not. Because maize crop of Sri Lanka has gone up drastically, and growing continually. All the chicken companies (even unlisted firms) are with grower networks with buy back agreements. So import tax is not relevant now, and companies are with plans for buffer stocks.

** Actually lot of people took these import restrictions on negative note last year. Even I was bit upset as this is one of my favorite sectors in investing. But it's a very good policy decision by the government, as now our maize growers has gone up by about 50%. Even NE farmers are joined in the cultivation of maize. Growth of income of rural community is highly favorable for chicken companies. So it’s a highly commendable decision by the government.

** Your last point is against the fundamental mechanism of share trading. So it's simply irrelevant. If I am answering who will buy when prices go up, “It’s the people who didn't buy when prices are low". When the market is not performing lot of people are not investing. But when it's start to move up, day by day people are coming in. So people who invest in depressed conditions will make profits.

** PER of 10-15 is a very low PER for the chicken sector. One is this PER is based on high maize prices with a crop disaster, and with off season results. Things will change with next quarter results, but then it’s good time to sell not to buy. But if you look at the long term, prospects are very high. Look at the growth in tourism.

quite impressive, excellent post.

http://www.viabletraffic.com

hariesha

worthiness wrote:Point no.3 is bit questionable?

Is increased per Capita income distributed among population for higher consumption?
Is not that per Capita income abnormally pushed due to unequal revenue distribution absorbed by 5% elite group.

Please comment...

When a country is growing it's natural to see elite is growing and gap is widening. You see wealth of businessmen few years back and now, their wealth has heavily increased. Because more the opportunity they will invest. More they invest more they will grow. This is simply what is happening. But we can't say poor are not getting anything. Actually in our country number of poor people are reducing. We can understand by look at political beneficiary schemes. Few years back "SAMUDHI" and "JANASAVIYA" were a big programs. But now no political party is promoting such things. Simply because, no market for those. Reason is growing middle class.

Why Marxist parties had lot of defeats in recent elections in Sri Lanka. Their market (voter base) has reduced and becoming insignificant day by day.

Look at the way clothing outlets and other retail supermarkets are growing outside Colombo. They are not just opening outlets to show off. They have seen the demand and catering to the market.

Clearly the middle class is growing. That is visible every ware. They are the real market. Opportunity is there. More people will join middle class day by day. Some may become elite, depending how they tap the opportunity. See the famous investor deleted, now and elite. Was he there some time back?

hariesha

I have seen lot of people have read the article, but only very few have seen the excel analysis at the bottom. I can see very few downloads. But that's what readers should look at.

smallville

smallville

Quite good...

Also I'd like to highlight that the best option as I see is to take the last 2 qtrs and annulise it for the analysis not taking the Dec 2010, March 2011 quarters. The reason is their annual year falls on March qtr.

Now we have 2 qtrs for 2011/2012 FY so the results could be good around December qtr too due to increased consumption on X'mas time..
Another note is there's chance ppl going for Chicken at the cost of vegitable due to the problems faced last week in vegi market.. well its only gonna be momentarily increase if so Wink

bakapandithaya

bakapandithaya

good one, thnkx 4 sharing

sriranga

sriranga
Co-Admin

Hariesha thanks a lot for sharing a valuable document.
Good work.
You are a gem.
Keep it up.

http://sharemarket-srilanka.blogspot.co.uk/

CSE.SAS

CSE.SAS
Global Moderator

Good work thax.

hasi17

Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic

I'm going through the last quarter results. I don't think there was anything significant happened between the quarters or disasters. Only thing that would change this quarter is the sales would slightly go up. It's not like we only eat chicken for festivals.

Last quarter

Revenue increased by 1% Smile

Costs all gone up
Cost of sales up 10%
Distribution Costs up 36%
Admin expenses up 28%

Hmm, other income down by 55%

I heard the chicken feed costs 40 - 50% from the expenses. Local grain produce is around 40 - 50% of the requirement but say the quality is bad. And the import taxes gone up. Rupee depreciated. Costs go further up.

So I believe this quarter growth will be average only helped by the festive season luck. Heh, I guess the profits could go down comparable to last Dec quarter.

bePositive

bePositive

Whatever happens, there will be a Profit, big or small made by stockholders.

http://www.viabletraffic.com

manula

bePositive wrote:Whatever happens, there will be a Profit, big or small made by stockholders.

bePositive way....every time be postive !!! Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum