FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by ErangaDS Yesterday at 10:24 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ErangaDS Yesterday at 10:22 am

» ‘Port City Colombo makes progress in attracting key investments’
by samaritan Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 am

» Mahaweli Reach Hotels (MRH.N)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:25 pm

» THE KANDY HOTELS COMPANY (1983) PLC (KHC.N0000)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:23 pm

» ACCESS ENGINEERING PLC (AEL) Will pass IPO Price of Rs 25 ?????
by ddrperera Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:09 pm

» LANKA CREDIT AND BUSINESS FINANCE PLC (LCBF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:40 am

» FIRST CAPITAL HOLDINGS PLC (CFVF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:38 am

» LOLC FINANCE PLC (LOFC.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:20 am

» SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC (SLTL.N0000)
by sureshot Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:37 am

» COCR IN TROUBLE?
by D.G.Dayaratne Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:59 pm

» Sri Lanka confident of speedy debt resolution as positive economic reforms echoes at IMF/WB meetings
by samaritan Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:28 am

» TAFL is the most undervalued & highly potential counter in the Poultry Sector
by LAMDA Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:58 am

» Construction Sector Boom with Purchasing manager's indices
by rukshan1234 Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:24 pm

» Asha Securities and Asia Securities Target AEL (Access Enginnering PLC )
by Anushka Perz Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:30 pm

» Sri Lanka: China EXIM Bank Debt Moratorium to End in April 2024
by DeepFreakingValue Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:22 pm

» Uncertainty over impending elections could risk Lanka’s economic recovery: ADB
by God Father Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:47 pm

» Sri Lanka's Debt Restructuring Hits Roadblock with Bondholders
by God Father Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:42 pm

» BROWN'S INVESTMENTS SHOULD CONSIDER BUYING BITCOIN
by ADVENTUS Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:48 pm

» Bank run leading the way in 2024
by bkasun Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:21 pm

» ASPI: Undoing GR/Covid19!
by DeepFreakingValue Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:25 am

» Learn CSE Rules and Regulations with the help of AI Assistant
by ChatGPT Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:47 am

» Top AI tools in Sri Lanka
by ChatGPT Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:21 am

» HDFC- Best ever profit reported in 2023
by ApolloCSE Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:43 pm

» WAPO 200% UP
by LAMDA Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:41 pm

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

Disclaimer
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

The information contained in this FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ have been submitted by third parties directly without any verification by us. The information available in this forum is not researched or purported to be complete description of the subject matter referred to herein. We do not under any circumstances whatsoever guarantee the accuracy and completeness information contained herein. FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not in any way be responsible or liable for loss or damage which any person or party may sustain or incur by relying on the contents of this report and acting directly or indirectly in any manner whatsoever. Trading or investing in stocks & commodities is a high risk activity. Any action you choose to take in the markets is totally your own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental damages or loss arising out of the use of this information. The information on this website is neither an offer to sell nor solicitation to buy any of the securities mentioned herein. The writers may or may not be trading in the securities mentioned.

Further the writers and users shall not induce or attempt to induce another person to trade in securities using this platform (a) by making or publishing any statement or by making any forecast that he knows to be misleading, false or deceptive; (b) by any dishonest concealment of material facts; (c) by the reckless making or publishing, dishonestly or otherwise of any statement or forecast that is misleading, false or deceptive; or (d) by recording or storing in, or by means of, any mechanical, electronic or other device, information that he knows to be false or misleading in a material particular. Any action writers and users take in respect of (a),(b),(c) and (d) above shall be their own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental violation of securities laws of any country, damages or loss arising out of the use of this information.

AI Live Chat

You are not connected. Please login or register

Another collection day???

+4
StocksWatch
Aamiable
Max
ndnk
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Another collection day??? Empty Another collection day??? Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:05 am

ndnk

ndnk
Manager - Equity Analytics
Manager - Equity Analytics

what do u think,,,, will today be an another collection day? If credit clearing continues it shud happen,,, Actually how do we know when this credit clearing happens??????

Can we assume like this???? Today market is green,,, so there is no much credit clearing,,,, and ppl enter the market thinking that market will go up further... They buy for credit,,,, then in another 3-5 days market is comming down,,,,, Very Happy

2Another collection day??? Empty Re: Another collection day??? Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:08 am

Max

Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

Hi,

My Prediction is the Market will be green Initially alien , So that the remaining Margins maybe cleared onto retailers for no loss, And then Market will become dull albino as the day proceeds, As retailers who make the market green might run out of steam.... Suspect

Just my 2 cents Smile

I hope I am wrong and the market starts a bull run, as my portfolio is sooooo red Very Happy cherry

3Another collection day??? Empty Re: Another collection day??? Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:52 pm

Aamiable

Vice President - Equity Analytics

Volumes are picking up, good opportunity for the medium term investors.

4Another collection day??? Empty Re: Another collection day??? Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:10 pm

StocksWatch

Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics

As expected, we had a red day today. But I see vey few posts today about the red market. Looks like people are fed up talking about red markets these days. However, the situation is ideal for the bargain hunters...and we can see collection going on with many attractive counters.

5Another collection day??? Empty My bag is full Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:40 pm

Academic

Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

This is just to share with you all that I fished hunting today (as my bag is almost full). As the volume is growing, value per transaction is increasing, number of transactions is decreasing and number of positive contributors is increasing, I guess we are at the trough of the wave.

To accommodate any unexpected drops/opportunities, I preserved 10% my buying power. Though I do not want to promote my hand picks, to share with you my thoughts, this time I invested mainly in businesses with high fixed cost (high operating leverage) as the economy is recovering, the sky is the limit for their profit!

6Another collection day??? Empty Re: Another collection day??? Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:18 am

Slstock

Slstock
Director - Equity Analytics

Academic wrote:
This is just to share with you all that I fished hunting today (as my bag is almost full). As the volume is growing, value per transaction is increasing, number of transactions is decreasing and number of positive contributors is increasing, I guess we are at the trough of the wave.

To accommodate any unexpected drops/opportunities, I preserved 10% my buying power. Though I do not want to promote my hand picks, to share with you my thoughts, this time I invested mainly in businesses with high fixed cost (high operating leverage) as the economy is recovering, the sky is the limit for their profit!

Hmm... your observation should not go unnoticed. There should be a few more days of volatility I guess before any big boom.

"Though I do not want to promote my hand picks, to share with you my thoughts, this time I invested mainly in businesses with high fixed cost (high operating leverage) as the economy is recovering".
No harm mentioning what these shares are if you like . There is a difference in mentioning and promoting. I have yet to see you do that so no problem.

7Another collection day??? Empty Re: Another collection day??? Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:18 am

mark

mark
Expert
Expert

many shares are at base values,which support fundamentals..........,and also which are oversold............they arranging their base to next run start from April onwards............
intelligent players are collecting................ Smile Smile Smile Smile
whichever stock came down rapidly,have a chance to re appreciate to it's real values sooner than later............... Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
just a thought.......... Cool Cool Cool Cool

8Another collection day??? Empty Re: Another collection day??? Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:08 am

Academic

Academic wrote:

These are some of my thoughts, not facts. It is natural, some of you may not agree with me. It is highly possible that I be wrong.

9Another collection day??? Empty Re: Another collection day??? Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:11 am

Slstock

Slstock

Academic wrote:
Academic wrote:

These are some of my thoughts, not facts. It is natural, some of you may not agree with me. It is highly possible that I be wrong.

Academic:
Would you mind elaborating on this further?

"this time I invested mainly in businesses with high fixed cost (high operating leverage) as the economy is recovering"

10Another collection day??? Empty Re: Another collection day??? Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:35 pm

Academic

slstock wrote:
Academic wrote:
Academic wrote:

Academic:
Would you mind elaborating on this further?

"this time I invested mainly in businesses with high fixed cost (high operating leverage) as the economy is recovering"

Total cost of any entity broadly consist variable and fixed costs. Fixed cost does not change as number of units produced change. Sri Lanka (Ceylon) Electricity Board (CEB) is a good example. Whether they produced electricity or not they have to maintain huge staff, reservoirs and other precautionary activities. Thus, even CEB stopped producing electricity they continue to incur those costs.

On the other hand if they are operating at 50% capacity and increased the operating level to 90% does not increase their cost much and their profit increases as far as income from a unit produced is higher that additional (variable) cost of a unit.
Other examples for this kind of businesses are

# Constructing facilities and renting out them
# Manufacturing organizations which require large capital investments.

As SL economy was not performing well, many such high fixed cost industries had to pay for substantial amount of their revenue for fixed operating expenses. So they reported loses. But if those companies start getting new businesses they can retain large portion of their income as cost does not increase as units produced increases.

IMHO, the prime way to identify those businesses is that they have low P/B with less or small negative earnings with positive future outlook. Further , second type can be identified easily as they are operating as monopoly of near monopoly (competitors can't easily enter since the fixed cost is high).

Hope this may help you.

11Another collection day??? Empty Re: Another collection day??? Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:39 pm

StocksWatch

mark wrote:many shares are at base values,which support fundamentals..........,and also which are oversold............they arranging their base to next run start from April onwards............
whichever stock came down rapidly,have a chance to re appreciate to it's real values sooner than later............... Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

Totally agreed.

12Another collection day??? Empty Re: Another collection day??? Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:05 pm

Slstock

Slstock

Good explanation Academic. Rep for you.

13Another collection day??? Empty Re: Another collection day??? Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:47 am

StocksWatch

@ Academic - Thanks for your nice explanation. + Rep from me too. Could you also please give some examples for companies with high operating leverage and positive outlook according to your opinion? This may help me to study further on this subject.

14Another collection day??? Empty Re: Another collection day??? Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:28 am

Soundchips

StocksWatch wrote:
mark wrote:many shares are at base values,which support fundamentals..........,and also which are oversold............they arranging their base to next run start from April onwards............

Totally agreed.

Thanks , since yesterday I collected few blue chips

15Another collection day??? Empty Re: Another collection day??? Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:14 pm

Aamiable

Soundchips wrote:
StocksWatch wrote:

Totally agreed.

Thanks , since yesterday I collected few blue chips

Agree , CINV seem to have a run.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum