FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» COCR IN TROUBLE?
by Biggy Today at 12:09 pm

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:24 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:22 am

» ‘Port City Colombo makes progress in attracting key investments’
by samaritan Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 am

» Mahaweli Reach Hotels (MRH.N)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:25 pm

» THE KANDY HOTELS COMPANY (1983) PLC (KHC.N0000)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:23 pm

» ACCESS ENGINEERING PLC (AEL) Will pass IPO Price of Rs 25 ?????
by ddrperera Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:09 pm

» LANKA CREDIT AND BUSINESS FINANCE PLC (LCBF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:40 am

» FIRST CAPITAL HOLDINGS PLC (CFVF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:38 am

» LOLC FINANCE PLC (LOFC.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:20 am

» SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC (SLTL.N0000)
by sureshot Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:37 am

» Sri Lanka confident of speedy debt resolution as positive economic reforms echoes at IMF/WB meetings
by samaritan Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:28 am

» TAFL is the most undervalued & highly potential counter in the Poultry Sector
by LAMDA Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:58 am

» Construction Sector Boom with Purchasing manager's indices
by rukshan1234 Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:24 pm

» Asha Securities and Asia Securities Target AEL (Access Enginnering PLC )
by Anushka Perz Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:30 pm

» Sri Lanka: China EXIM Bank Debt Moratorium to End in April 2024
by DeepFreakingValue Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:22 pm

» Uncertainty over impending elections could risk Lanka’s economic recovery: ADB
by God Father Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:47 pm

» Sri Lanka's Debt Restructuring Hits Roadblock with Bondholders
by God Father Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:42 pm

» BROWN'S INVESTMENTS SHOULD CONSIDER BUYING BITCOIN
by ADVENTUS Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:48 pm

» Bank run leading the way in 2024
by bkasun Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:21 pm

» ASPI: Undoing GR/Covid19!
by DeepFreakingValue Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:25 am

» Learn CSE Rules and Regulations with the help of AI Assistant
by ChatGPT Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:47 am

» Top AI tools in Sri Lanka
by ChatGPT Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:21 am

» HDFC- Best ever profit reported in 2023
by ApolloCSE Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:43 pm

» WAPO 200% UP
by LAMDA Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:41 pm

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

Disclaimer
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

The information contained in this FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ have been submitted by third parties directly without any verification by us. The information available in this forum is not researched or purported to be complete description of the subject matter referred to herein. We do not under any circumstances whatsoever guarantee the accuracy and completeness information contained herein. FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not in any way be responsible or liable for loss or damage which any person or party may sustain or incur by relying on the contents of this report and acting directly or indirectly in any manner whatsoever. Trading or investing in stocks & commodities is a high risk activity. Any action you choose to take in the markets is totally your own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental damages or loss arising out of the use of this information. The information on this website is neither an offer to sell nor solicitation to buy any of the securities mentioned herein. The writers may or may not be trading in the securities mentioned.

Further the writers and users shall not induce or attempt to induce another person to trade in securities using this platform (a) by making or publishing any statement or by making any forecast that he knows to be misleading, false or deceptive; (b) by any dishonest concealment of material facts; (c) by the reckless making or publishing, dishonestly or otherwise of any statement or forecast that is misleading, false or deceptive; or (d) by recording or storing in, or by means of, any mechanical, electronic or other device, information that he knows to be false or misleading in a material particular. Any action writers and users take in respect of (a),(b),(c) and (d) above shall be their own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental violation of securities laws of any country, damages or loss arising out of the use of this information.

AI Live Chat

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Most Important Mistake You Will Make In A Falling Market

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

ddindika

ddindika
Manager - Equity Analytics
Manager - Equity Analytics

By Alessio Rastani

The Most Important Mistake You Will Make In A Falling Market Fear_greed
It is a well-known fact that the markets are ruled by two
human emotions: Fear and Greed. I am going to show you why both these
emotions can cause you to make enormous mistakes in a stock market crash
and why you should prepare yourself now to avoid making them.

Incidentally, I am going to talk about a mistake that 85% of
people make in a market crash and one that I myself made in the year
2000 which caused me heavy losses. If you learn from this, you can avoid
financial suicide.

Remember: the wise man not only learns from his own mistakes, but from other people's mistakes…

THE DOT-COM DONKEYS

I will never forget January 2000 where I had my first taste
of dabbling in stocks. In case you don't remember, that year was also
the height of the dot-com bubble. Technology stocks were soaring through
the roof and greed had control of the market. Ordinary people from taxi
drivers, teachers and plumbers were drooling at the idea of making a
fortune in stocks.

I had been watching the stock of one particular company very
closely. Exodus Communications Inc (EXDS) had tripled in value from $20
to $60 in just two months. I was thinking to myself, wow what if this
stock now goes to $100, $200 – heck, all the way to the moon! How could I
miss such an opportunity! (see chart below)

The Most Important Mistake You Will Make In A Falling Market Exds
I finally bought the EXDS at $65. Now all I had to do was
sit back and watch my trading account get fatter than a turkey before
thanksgiving. By March 2000 the stock was just under $90. I could not
believe my luck. "Good call!" I was saying to myself.

Very soon, my luck ran out. By April of that year EXDS was
at $50 and by May it was at $40. Then a voice inside my head said: "Hey,
why don't we buy some more – now they are cheaper!" I dug into all my
savings and I spent every last penny on buying even more of that stock.
After all, it was an "investment".

"Buy low, sell high", right? Isn't that what we have been taught?
Wrong. By May of 2001, a year later, the stock had plunged
to less than $10. This was an 85% drop from the original price I had
bought it at. Eventually, in September 2001, I was finally put out of my
misery: EXDS filed for bankruptcy.

FEAR AND GREED

There is no doubt about it. What I did in the year 2000 is
what "donkey" investors do – also referred to as “dumb money”. The smart
money was selling technology stocks and dumping them unto the small
guys. This is the way the markets have always worked and will always
work.

Two emotions were ruling the marketplace:

1) Greed: the desire to make money
2) Fear: The fear of missing out on a huge opportunity
Notice that this is a different kind of fear than the one
experienced by investors during a market crash: the fear of losing
money.

THE No.1 MISTAKE

What I want you to understand is that you must never buy a
stock (or commodity) simply because it is "cheap". That is not a good
enough reason to buy. What you are essentially doing is trying to catch a
falling knife! You are going to get hurt.

This mistake is often perpetuated by the misleading phrase:
"Buy low, sell high". This phrase is often misinterpreted for: "If it is
cheaper then buy it, and sell it when it gets more expensive". That is
total garbage.

You see, what most people don't realise is that when a stock (or commodity) is falling, the trend and momentum direction of that market may have changed.

To put it very simply: if a
stock is deliberately moving downwards and gaining momentum (or speed)
in that direction, and you try to stand in front of it (by buying the
stock), it will crush you. You do not stand in front of a freight train.

Here is a case example:
In 2008, friends were telling me they were buying Lloyds TSB
shares at £2.00 ($3 USD) because they thought it was a bargain. It was
not – that company's share price went all the way down to 50 pence!
Those shares have not recovered since then and at the time of writing
sit at 35 pence (see chart below):

The Most Important Mistake You Will Make In A Falling Market Lloyds_tsb_shares

LOSING TIME

I know what you may be thinking: "What if you waited a few
years for the price to recover – then at least you'll get your money
back and break even."

OK, let's say that you are lucky enough that your stock
recovers and in three years it has come back to the original price you
bought it at. You have your money back, well done. But you have lost
something you will never get back: Time. Three years!

During those three years you could have been shorting that
market (making money downwards – and more on that in upcoming posts), or
investing in stocks that were going up.

CONCLUSION

Be prepared. If we are indeed heading for another stock
market crash, and I believe we are, then you need to take control of
your emotions right now!

Stocks will get cheaper, and cheaper. If you listen to the
voices of greed inside your head saying to you: "Hey, at this price,
this stock is a bargain!" you are setting yourself for financial
suicide. For the bargain hunters, there is only one way their story will
end: in tears.
http://www.portiontv.com/the-most-important-mistake-you-will-make-in-a-falling-market.html
thanks to member jkljkl who educated us about "portiontv.com"

Slstock

Slstock
Director - Equity Analytics

Thanks. Not sure when this article was wrriten. But some good points to consider.
Yes timing is crucial specially for short term. Buying just because it appear cheap also is not the smartest. Just because a share is 0.2 cents , it is not cheap as it can drop to 0.1 ( look at warrant situation)
But one issue I have with this article is that there was no distinction made about the different kinds of shares we should buy. Looks like the author is talking about a speculative share and another with downward growth momentum. So in investing we should also learn to have some basic knowledge what to buy and when to buy.

Now at CSE, a major correction has happened. Unless something so negative happens under extra ordinary circumstance or there is a stock market crash we cannot expect another 20% overall market drop at CSE under the prevaling market conditions can we? I cannot surely say that it won;t happen due to weaker sellers but the overall market is getting very attractive as many companies trading under NAVS and much below market PEs. So at times "timing" also can be a positive as opposed to author's experience. But knowing basics of share valuation and knowing when to exit is a key

I am not taking anything away from this good article or the good attempt to educate the forum. But showing another side to the story that all.

worthiness

Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics

Yes, it is obvious that market is attractive under the prevailing condition. Market is under vigilant as ruling party, both politically & economically is under pressure. So many expect that new measures will be introduced to protect the market from wrong doers which may build up gradual market confidence.
Day by day investors learning curve is being developed that lead ''much awareness of timing" of the investment. Ordinary investors are not having much advantage from prevailing market attractiveness as they are in tight liquidity problem. So, many attempt to cover up past losses selling their portfolio with a marginal profit without placing them as long term investment. This is the time for institutional & HNW buyers to step in & build up the market that attracts more retail investors.

Whitebull

Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics
Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics

This article is a good answer to those who blame CSE saying it is Sri Lankan stock exchange,Sri Lankan investers,Sri Lankan way of thinking and bla...bla...bla....

Slstock

Slstock

worthiness wrote: This is the time for institutional & HNW buyers to step in & build up the market that attracts more retail investors.

Let me pose a circular question.

Institutions like EPF, SLIC and NSB is blamed left and right for purchases made at the wrong time ( at peaks). Even when they buy now after market corrections , they buy with huge premiums ( like the TFC deal) creating controversies. So is it really a timing issue then? On the other hand HNWI who we thing are burnt really still have access to credit and money ( lets face it, people with assets can find way to borrow more or dig into resources) if they want. So if they collectively get together can they make the timing right to up the market. Let me rephrase. Rs 1 billion is about US $7.7 Millon only. If a few rich guy/ institution can collective buy 10 consecutive days worth, can this negativity change and create new confidence and a trend reversal? All these premiums and bad timing issues will not arise much if market is heading north right? People with sell their "ati kukulas" to join the fun if they know/feel market is heading up. All these issues, controversies happen when it is heading south.

It appears most are waiting for others ( except for a few foreigners and few HNWI) to make the right timing to make their bigger moves? So other than a circular confidence problem here are we are waiting on someones( selected few) agenda to make the time right to move the market?

Is the situation only a money liquidity problem , confidence problem or is there more to it ? Why did not the market move that much with the Presidents meeting this time. Last time it moved 4%. This time much less. Who decided this?

One thing for sure , the retailer agendas do not count as they are unable to move big volumes continuously. They get easily worried and upset and sell with minimum profit. Many do not want to hold. So they cannot move market in this negative environment unless lot of them unite to push it up and not sell untill the intrinsic value of a share is reached. Lot of them left, leaving CSE or waiting for the right time to come back.

So question is who is making these timings right? Irrespective of these mysteries, a selected few foreigners, HNWI and retaielrs are discretely active without worrying about when exactly and who will create the trend and collecting "looking to the end result"

One fine day it will be Boom and all these negativity will go. When it is I do not know as I cannot move the market by myself . But I am not really too much worried about optimal timing specially as I am not thinking short term always.

UKboy

UKboy

Whitebull wrote:This article is a good answer to those who blame CSE saying it is Sri Lankan stock exchange,Sri Lankan investers,Sri Lankan way of thinking and bla...bla...bla....

Surely people blame SEC for everything should read above examples.
Also they should not forget ENRON scandal. By the time Enron collapsed in 2001, American SEC had more the 60 years of experience in stock market.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum