FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» TAFL is the most undervalued & highly potential counter in the Poultry Sector
by bkasun Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:48 pm

» COCR IN TROUBLE?
by bkasun Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:43 pm

» EXPO.N - Expo Lanka Holdings De-Listing
by eradula Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:21 pm

» Maharaja advise - April 2024
by celtic tiger Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:01 am

» Srilanka's Access Engineering PLC think and Win
by Dasun Maduwantha Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:40 pm

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:24 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:22 am

» ‘Port City Colombo makes progress in attracting key investments’
by samaritan Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 am

» Mahaweli Reach Hotels (MRH.N)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:25 pm

» THE KANDY HOTELS COMPANY (1983) PLC (KHC.N0000)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:23 pm

» ACCESS ENGINEERING PLC (AEL) Will pass IPO Price of Rs 25 ?????
by ddrperera Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:09 pm

» LANKA CREDIT AND BUSINESS FINANCE PLC (LCBF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:40 am

» FIRST CAPITAL HOLDINGS PLC (CFVF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:38 am

» LOLC FINANCE PLC (LOFC.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:20 am

» SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC (SLTL.N0000)
by sureshot Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:37 am

» Sri Lanka confident of speedy debt resolution as positive economic reforms echoes at IMF/WB meetings
by samaritan Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:28 am

» Construction Sector Boom with Purchasing manager's indices
by rukshan1234 Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:24 pm

» Asha Securities and Asia Securities Target AEL (Access Enginnering PLC )
by Anushka Perz Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:30 pm

» Sri Lanka: China EXIM Bank Debt Moratorium to End in April 2024
by DeepFreakingValue Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:22 pm

» Uncertainty over impending elections could risk Lanka’s economic recovery: ADB
by God Father Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:47 pm

» Sri Lanka's Debt Restructuring Hits Roadblock with Bondholders
by God Father Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:42 pm

» BROWN'S INVESTMENTS SHOULD CONSIDER BUYING BITCOIN
by ADVENTUS Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:48 pm

» Bank run leading the way in 2024
by bkasun Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:21 pm

» ASPI: Undoing GR/Covid19!
by DeepFreakingValue Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:25 am

» Learn CSE Rules and Regulations with the help of AI Assistant
by ChatGPT Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:47 am

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

Disclaimer
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

The information contained in this FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ have been submitted by third parties directly without any verification by us. The information available in this forum is not researched or purported to be complete description of the subject matter referred to herein. We do not under any circumstances whatsoever guarantee the accuracy and completeness information contained herein. FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not in any way be responsible or liable for loss or damage which any person or party may sustain or incur by relying on the contents of this report and acting directly or indirectly in any manner whatsoever. Trading or investing in stocks & commodities is a high risk activity. Any action you choose to take in the markets is totally your own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental damages or loss arising out of the use of this information. The information on this website is neither an offer to sell nor solicitation to buy any of the securities mentioned herein. The writers may or may not be trading in the securities mentioned.

Further the writers and users shall not induce or attempt to induce another person to trade in securities using this platform (a) by making or publishing any statement or by making any forecast that he knows to be misleading, false or deceptive; (b) by any dishonest concealment of material facts; (c) by the reckless making or publishing, dishonestly or otherwise of any statement or forecast that is misleading, false or deceptive; or (d) by recording or storing in, or by means of, any mechanical, electronic or other device, information that he knows to be false or misleading in a material particular. Any action writers and users take in respect of (a),(b),(c) and (d) above shall be their own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental violation of securities laws of any country, damages or loss arising out of the use of this information.

AI Live Chat

You are not connected. Please login or register

Need technical experts answers

+5
anubis
UAEBOY
fairbullrun
traderathome
opfdo
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Need technical experts answers Empty Need technical experts answers Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:10 pm

opfdo

opfdo
Vice President - Equity Analytics

Dear Techs, Since i am not sound on TAs, i have some questions to get an clear answer, i hope these questions & your answers will be fruitful to others also,

1. What is the RSI as at today ?
2. What is the limit or range for over bought & over sold ?
3. I saw there are some posts saying now market is over bought, if so,
----how much RSI should be reduced to come for over sold ?
----What are the factors effect to RSI ?
----If sellers absorbed by buyers when market green, what will happen to the RSI ?
----Do RSI show over bought in such occasions ?

4. what was the RSI when market hit 7800 ?
5. what is the importance of ASI croosing moving average ?
6. what are the data we need to check the RSI ?

I have posedt many fundamental analysis here according to my knowledge & ability, so i hope you will give answers to my questions without ignoring
specially TAH,small,sls,ukboy,stockmate, I very much appreciate your answers. others also.

thank you,
opfdo

2Need technical experts answers Empty Re: Need technical experts answers Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:33 pm

traderathome

traderathome
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics

opfdo wrote:Dear Techs, Since i am not sound on TAs, i have some questions to get an clear answer, i hope these questions & your answers will be fruitful to others also,

----If sellers absorbed by buyers when market green, what will happen to the RSI ?

I have posedt many fundamental analysis here according to my knowledge & ability, so i hope you will give answers to my questions without ignoring
specially TAH,small,sls,ukboy,stockmate, I very much appreciate your answers. others also.

thank you,
opfdo
Hi opfdo

Here is the chart which might help you with the answers..... Very Happy

[img]Need technical experts answers Asi13[/img]

3Need technical experts answers Empty Re: Need technical experts answers Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:43 pm

opfdo

opfdo

thank you very much TAH, QT 1 is ok. but others, i am grateful to you, if you can explain the chart.

traderathome wrote:
opfdo wrote:Dear Techs, Since i am not sound on TAs, i have some questions to get an clear answer, i hope these questions & your answers will be fruitful to others also,

thank you,
opfdo
Hi opfdo

4Need technical experts answers Empty Re: Need technical experts answers Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:46 pm

fairbullrun

fairbullrun
Manager - Equity Analytics

opfdo wrote:thank you very much TAH, QT 1 is ok. but others, i am grateful to you, if you can explain the chart.

traderathome wrote:

thank you,
opfdo
Hi opfdo

Yes TAH, if that is fantastic Very Happy FBR

5Need technical experts answers Empty Re: Need technical experts answers Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:50 pm

UAEBOY

UAEBOY
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

Thanks bro..Hat is off for your contribution to this forum....study

6Need technical experts answers Empty Re: Need technical experts answers Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:54 pm

traderathome

traderathome

Todays RSI - is 81.74
This depends...people tend to use 20 or 30 for oversold and 70 for overbought respectively....some tend to go with 20 for early entry or 60 depending on individual trade system/plan
RSI was in the 90ish when ASI was 7800+
Traders tend to use 2 or 3 MAs to enter trades or exit on the crossing as they tend to indicate a beginning or end of trend.

But these technicals come with some disadvantages as well.....so they are known as lagging indicators...on choppy market ...

Also they tend to RE-PAINT,meaning you may see it as crossing above 20 RSI or 30 and you may BUY assuming its oversold, but later to find it has not crossed.....

So one should not totally rely onindicators alone.... Very Happy

TAH

Last edited by traderathome on Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

7Need technical experts answers Empty Re: Need technical experts answers Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:57 pm

anubis

I had to delete my post because TAH has posted an answer.

Here's RSI explained: http://www.investopedia.com/terms/r/rsi.asp

IMHO, ASI is highly sensitive to a couple of shares and that makes it pretty vulnerable. And by the same argument, RSI too. But I'm not an expert....

Cheers!

8Need technical experts answers Empty Re: Need technical experts answers Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:04 pm

fairbullrun

fairbullrun

thank you,
opfdo

Thank you very much opfdo for posting this kind, and great thanks for TAH< anbuis for their explanations Very Happy

9Need technical experts answers Empty Re: Need technical experts answers Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:19 pm

opfdo

opfdo

thank you TAH & anubas & others. smallville/sls/stockmate, if can add, it will be a great for us. Smile

how about qt no 3 point 3 ??

10Need technical experts answers Empty Re: Need technical experts answers Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:09 am

anubis

@opfdo: here's a much detailed explanation: http://www.aaii.com/computerizedinvesting/article/the-relative-strength-index-rsi

Only thing to note here is that it's a purely (100%) technical indicator.

As you can see, if a share experiences more and more high-days (meaning the closing price is higher than the opening price), then the RSI will increase.

TBH, I don't know why people are so concerned about this RSI thing, especially if they believe that the market was "hugely undervalued"... because if that was the case, then high RSI values are to be expected during the following bull run... because the correction will be swift... leading to higher RSI values.

Still, I'm not an expert, so my understanding might not be 100% correct.

Also watch: http://www.investopedia.com/video/play/relative-strength-index-rsi/

Cheers!

11Need technical experts answers Empty Re: Need technical experts answers Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:52 am

smallville

smallville
Associate Director - Equity Analytics

how much RSI should be reduced to come for over sold ?
When the RSI dips below 30, its said to have entered an oversold teritory.

What are the factors effect to RSI ?
Big surges and drops in stocks will affect the RSI, resulting in false buy or sell signals.

If sellers absorbed by buyers when market green, what will happen to the RSI ?
When the selling pressure above a price level has been absorbed, it makes sense to buy the share above the resisitance line.
RSI in this case may form higher highs while the stock records lower lows.

Do RSI show over bought in such occasions ?
Sometime it may.. It actually depends on where RSI was prior to the trend.
Use ADX in this scenario to measure the strength of the trend, RSI may be well over 70 but if ADX is climbing it may further
indicate a trending market.. IF +DI line of ADX above the -DI line it indicates an uptrend.

Divergences are a key point to note on any indicator;

Divergences occur between a technical indicator (i.e. RSI) and the security’s price when the direction of the indicator does not confirm the price trend.

bearish divergence — the stock records higher highs while the RSI forms lower lows

bullish divergence — the stock records lower lows while the RSI forms higher highs

RSI - Which period to take?
Standerd use is 14day RSI. The shorter number of days used, the more volatile the RSI is and the more often it will hit extremes.
Different sectors and industries have varying threshold levels when it come s to the RSI. Stocks in some sectors will above 75-80 before dropping back and others can have a tough time breaking 70 even.

Back testing is a good rule in this scenario. Check the stock you want the RSI value to be measured and observe it over a long term (1 year or more) to determine what level the historical RSI has traded at and how the stock reacted when it reached those levels.

12Need technical experts answers Empty Re: Need technical experts answers Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:42 am

malanp

TAH and Smallville

Thank you very much for your explanation, we are learning day by day..

13Need technical experts answers Empty Re: Need technical experts answers Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:48 am

Stefan

Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

Thanks TAH and Smallville
However these are only for trading correct? What if I am a long term investor and just buy undervalued shares and not interested in the rapid increase or decrease in price. Eg. some are saying that the market will come down again and asking everyone to be careful, does this relate to investors as well?

14Need technical experts answers Empty Re: Need technical experts answers Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:06 pm

opfdo

opfdo

THANK YOU.

smallville wrote:how much RSI should be reduced to come for over sold ?
When the RSI dips below 30, its said to have entered an oversold teritory.

What are the factors effect to RSI ?
Big surges and drops in stocks will affect the RSI, resulting in false buy or sell signals.

If sellers absorbed by buyers when market green, what will happen to the RSI ?
When the selling pressure above a price level has been absorbed, it makes sense to buy the share above the resisitance line.
RSI in this case may form higher highs while the stock records lower lows.

Do RSI show over bought in such occasions ?
Sometime it may.. It actually depends on where RSI was prior to the trend.
Use ADX in this scenario to measure the strength of the trend, RSI may be well over 70 but if ADX is climbing it may further
indicate a trending market.. IF +DI line of ADX above the -DI line it indicates an uptrend.

Divergences are a key point to note on any indicator;

Divergences occur between a technical indicator (i.e. RSI) and the security’s price when the direction of the indicator does not confirm the price trend.

bearish divergence — the stock records higher highs while the RSI forms lower lows

bullish divergence — the stock records lower lows while the RSI forms higher highs

RSI - Which period to take?
Standerd use is 14day RSI. The shorter number of days used, the more volatile the RSI is and the more often it will hit extremes.
Different sectors and industries have varying threshold levels when it come s to the RSI. Stocks in some sectors will above 75-80 before dropping back and others can have a tough time breaking 70 even.

Back testing is a good rule in this scenario. Check the stock you want the RSI value to be measured and observe it over a long term (1 year or more) to determine what level the historical RSI has traded at and how the stock reacted when it reached those levels.

15Need technical experts answers Empty Re: Need technical experts answers Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:11 pm

traderathome

traderathome

Stefan wrote:Thanks TAH and Smallville
However these are only for trading correct? What if I am a long term investor and just buy undervalued shares and not interested in the rapid increase or decrease in price. Eg. some are saying that the market will come down again and asking everyone to be careful, does this relate to investors as well?
A longterm investor usually not bothered by intraday/shortterm fluctuations..... Very Happy but there are things you need to take care what companies you invest...usually as rule of thumb invest max 10% of your capital in one company. also dont invest heavily on 1 sector alone, try and diversify in the simplest form,also invest in bonds....etc.

Investors are known to be lone wolves....so they dont to listn to others Very Happy but every now and then listen they may make sense....

Also keep an eye on your investment.....Dont just forget it thinking you invested longterm.You need to check whether the stocks are performing as expected.Don’t be tempted to sell shares that are doing well to take your profit. you are in it for the long term.

On the other hand investments that are not doing well should be sold and replaced.
Remember that it is better to lose a little rather than wait in the hope that the investment will do better when in fact it continues to do badly and you lose more money.

Look whether company makes regular dividends.....

One of the golden rules is that when the market is down then that is the best time to buy stocks and when the stock index market is high its time to sell the stocks that are not performing so well and reinvest the proceeds in bonds or real estate....or FDs.

When the markets turn down don’t make the mistake of panic selling. The economy goes in cycles so a market that is down will soon move up again. Always bear in mind that a market that is low presents a buying opportunity.

TAH

16Need technical experts answers Empty Re: Need technical experts answers Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:40 pm

opfdo

opfdo

who are using GOTX ? can we get historical data from GOTX ?

Can someone attache historical price data of kota/uml/plc & mal ?. I am trying to learn TAs now ? I found a free software called "best charts" i am trying to do from that.

17Need technical experts answers Empty Re: Need technical experts answers Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:48 pm

smallville

smallville

GOTX is a an application used by brokers I think.. Capital Alliance is using and I think even providing it for their clients..

I'm not so sure..

18Need technical experts answers Empty Re: Need technical experts answers Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:32 pm

opfdo

opfdo

yes. I could not find there historical price option. That is why I put here, if so anyone can attach here historical prices of kota/uml/plc/mal

smallville wrote:GOTX is a an application used by brokers I think.. Capital Alliance is using and I think even providing it for their clients..

I'm not so sure..

19Need technical experts answers Empty Re: Need technical experts answers Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:18 am

Slstock

Slstock
Director - Equity Analytics
Director - Equity Analytics

Optfo, since most of your question would have been answered by others, let me just add

There were periods at CSE when RSI was in overbought for months. Apr
to June 2010 is one. Again it repeated in Sept 2010. and Early 2011.

So
just because RSI is high we do not have to panic. It does not always
mean that people will sell like mad. It depends. The overall market sentiment and buyers meeting selling pressure.

However, if RSI is high long period ( several months) it is not healhty and sudden panic selling can start at slightest bad news.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum