FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by ErangaDS Today at 10:24 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ErangaDS Today at 10:22 am

» ‘Port City Colombo makes progress in attracting key investments’
by samaritan Yesterday at 9:26 am

» Mahaweli Reach Hotels (MRH.N)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:25 pm

» THE KANDY HOTELS COMPANY (1983) PLC (KHC.N0000)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:23 pm

» ACCESS ENGINEERING PLC (AEL) Will pass IPO Price of Rs 25 ?????
by ddrperera Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:09 pm

» LANKA CREDIT AND BUSINESS FINANCE PLC (LCBF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:40 am

» FIRST CAPITAL HOLDINGS PLC (CFVF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:38 am

» LOLC FINANCE PLC (LOFC.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:20 am

» SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC (SLTL.N0000)
by sureshot Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:37 am

» COCR IN TROUBLE?
by D.G.Dayaratne Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:59 pm

» Sri Lanka confident of speedy debt resolution as positive economic reforms echoes at IMF/WB meetings
by samaritan Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:28 am

» TAFL is the most undervalued & highly potential counter in the Poultry Sector
by LAMDA Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:58 am

» Construction Sector Boom with Purchasing manager's indices
by rukshan1234 Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:24 pm

» Asha Securities and Asia Securities Target AEL (Access Enginnering PLC )
by Anushka Perz Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:30 pm

» Sri Lanka: China EXIM Bank Debt Moratorium to End in April 2024
by DeepFreakingValue Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:22 pm

» Uncertainty over impending elections could risk Lanka’s economic recovery: ADB
by God Father Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:47 pm

» Sri Lanka's Debt Restructuring Hits Roadblock with Bondholders
by God Father Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:42 pm

» BROWN'S INVESTMENTS SHOULD CONSIDER BUYING BITCOIN
by ADVENTUS Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:48 pm

» Bank run leading the way in 2024
by bkasun Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:21 pm

» ASPI: Undoing GR/Covid19!
by DeepFreakingValue Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:25 am

» Learn CSE Rules and Regulations with the help of AI Assistant
by ChatGPT Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:47 am

» Top AI tools in Sri Lanka
by ChatGPT Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:21 am

» HDFC- Best ever profit reported in 2023
by ApolloCSE Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:43 pm

» WAPO 200% UP
by LAMDA Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:41 pm

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

Disclaimer
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

The information contained in this FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ have been submitted by third parties directly without any verification by us. The information available in this forum is not researched or purported to be complete description of the subject matter referred to herein. We do not under any circumstances whatsoever guarantee the accuracy and completeness information contained herein. FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not in any way be responsible or liable for loss or damage which any person or party may sustain or incur by relying on the contents of this report and acting directly or indirectly in any manner whatsoever. Trading or investing in stocks & commodities is a high risk activity. Any action you choose to take in the markets is totally your own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental damages or loss arising out of the use of this information. The information on this website is neither an offer to sell nor solicitation to buy any of the securities mentioned herein. The writers may or may not be trading in the securities mentioned.

Further the writers and users shall not induce or attempt to induce another person to trade in securities using this platform (a) by making or publishing any statement or by making any forecast that he knows to be misleading, false or deceptive; (b) by any dishonest concealment of material facts; (c) by the reckless making or publishing, dishonestly or otherwise of any statement or forecast that is misleading, false or deceptive; or (d) by recording or storing in, or by means of, any mechanical, electronic or other device, information that he knows to be false or misleading in a material particular. Any action writers and users take in respect of (a),(b),(c) and (d) above shall be their own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental violation of securities laws of any country, damages or loss arising out of the use of this information.

AI Live Chat

You are not connected. Please login or register

United Nations / United States embargoes and sanctions

+9
Whitebull
kukumarx
klpfernando
VISA
Monster
Slstock
sanju351
wiki
salt
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

salt

salt
Vice President - Equity Analytics

This is NOT billa talks.
Isn't there imminent risk of imposing United Nations / United States embargoes and sanctions on Sri Lanka based on UNCHR session planned in Feb/ March this year. The first step towards it will be the panel visiting in Colombo next few days.

I Don't know exactly what's happening, but we are at a risk of losing CHOGM hosting and possibly suspension of Commonwealth membership. Nobody has openly discussed these issues. By the time,
  1. things are clear, all big guys would have nicely exited.
    1. Anybody has thought of such possibility

2. If happens ( god bless us NOT to happen something like that), what’s the impact on ,
• Share market ( foreign investor participation) &
• LKR currency

wiki

Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics

Dont worry .....our supreme parliament will safe guard us... Mad

sanju351

sanju351
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

salt wrote:This is NOT billa talks.
Isn't there imminent risk of imposing United Nations / United States embargoes and sanctions on Sri Lanka based on UNCHR session planned in Feb/ March this year. The first step towards it will be the panel visiting in Colombo next few days.

I Don't know exactly what's happening, but we are at a risk of losing CHOGM hosting and possibly suspension of Commonwealth membership. Nobody has openly discussed these issues. By the time,

2. If happens ( god bless us NOT to happen something like that), what’s the impact on ,
• LKR currency

I think like last time it will have a positive impact ..
Reasons ..

Now a days CSE is handled by Big shots and they dictate the terms and prices 80% ..They will maintain GREEN to show that it has less effects on Sri Lanka Economy ..

Some others will favor tha fall of this government and paving the way for UNP led collation to take over ( though the possibility is very less and highly unlikely )

But if things Remain same for over 2-3 years .. Not only the CSE entire Country will Explode and life will crash ..to a dissater

Slstock

Slstock
Director - Equity Analytics

We might loose CHOGM hosting but why commonwealth suspension.

If you are talking about CJ issue, I think the impeachment was followed by regular process. It is the trial process which most of us was not happy. This is not a strong enough case for sancations. Maybe further warning. There are many more countries violating bigger human rights and the big countries have/will not take/n drastic measures. They have much bigger threats than Sri Lanka to worry about.

I need to say something here . I speak when I feel injustice is done amongst the country people without being blindly patriotic so we can improve democracy in Sri Lanka, But in this issue, these countries do not have a right to intrude in our internal processes . Period. They have more blood on their hands. But they can help to suggest better democracy and Sri Lankan politicians need to take note.

None of these countries really did stand up for Saudi execution process without fair trial?

• LKR currency

Monster

Monster
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics

There is a high possibility that Sri Lanka may not be able to host CHOGM. Canadian PM already stated, he will not attend the meeting in Sri Lanka.

However, I don't think there will be a big threat to foreign investments.

sanju351

sanju351

Monster wrote:There is a high possibility that Sri Lanka may not be able to host CHOGM. Canadian PM already stated, he will not attend the meeting in Sri Lanka.

However, I don't think there will be a big threat to foreign investments.

It will be Positive move for the country ...we will save few billions of rupees of public funds

VISA

This bull shit.
US and EU are more worried about sri lankan default than any thing else.
This is how GOV keeping people in there side.

USA want touch us. if they do they have more to loos than any other.
We are paying more than what you think.
US dollar loans we brought for us banks like city, us$ Bond invested in sri Lanka. Sri lanka's highest us dollar payments are for to borrowing.
Do not think like iran, IRAN do not borrow money from IMF,WB and other banks.

Not to mention our (Visa/master,Other us dollar Credit) domestic borrowing.

regarding CHOGM

http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Main/Player.aspx?meetingId=12178
http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Main/Player.aspx?meetingId=12159

klpfernando

Manager - Equity Analytics

Well said -slstock.
Canadian leaders play pity politics for votes.
After 2 years we have a positive market sentiment.I think we should harvest the hay while sun is there rather than talk about negative factors.

kukumarx

I don't think this per say will cause too much of problem to the stock market in the near term. Some western countries may boycott CHOGM but CHOGM will go ahead. India's stand is very important, and so far India has kept quiet.

The long term implications are more serious. Most of exports is to the West. If I remember the numbers, about 60 % of our exports go to Europe and the USA. Good relations with the west is important if we have to foster this trade. Already the loss of the preferential duties to Europe is effecting garment exports. Sri lanka's relations with the west are already strained. This will further strain relations and isolate the country even further.

So bad for the economy. And thus bad for the stock market.

This will also effect foreign investor confidence especially investors from the west, or investors who do business with the west. Who wants to make investments in a country that may be blacklisted in the future? Look at the case of Burma.

So once again bad for the economy. And thus bad for the stock market.

This issue also plays into the hands of the pro Eelam Diaspora who have now another case to point to.

Also the Sunday Times yesterday reported plans for a 19th amendment. This cuts the CJ's term to 3 years and most importantly, makes parliaments standing orders law. Making parliaments standing orders law makes parliament override the courts which will again undermine business confidence.

Whitebull

If they realy want to put sanctions on us they will do it.They will not care whether their or their friendly hands have more blood than us or not.If majority of public stands with the government they MIGHT think twice before put sanctions on us because sanctions may not work if people truly support the government.
But this does not mean that we should justify or safeguard all the actions of the government.Without being bakapandith patriotics or people with hidden agendas we should CONSTRUCTIVELY CRITISIZE the government with hope of correcting them for the best interest of the country.

Slstock

Slstock

Further more we are all primarily here to make profit. So when the market getting ready to move, we should not start all negative posts which has issues all beyond our control right now isn;t it?

slstock wrote:We might loose CHOGM hosting but why commonwealth suspension.

If you are talking about CJ issue, I think the impeachment was followed by regular process. It is the trial process which most of us was not happy. This is not a strong enough case for sancations. Maybe further warning. There are many more countries violating bigger human rights and the big countries have/will not take/n drastic measures. They have much bigger threats than Sri Lanka to worry about.

I need to say something here . I speak when I feel injustice is done amongst the country people without being blindly patriotic so we can improve democracy in Sri Lanka, But in this issue, these countries do not have a right to intrude in our internal processes . Period. They have more blood on their hands. But they can help to suggest better democracy and Sri Lankan politicians need to take note.

None of these countries really did stand up for Saudi execution process without fair trial?

• LKR currency

piyalpy

Free trade zone shooting....
University teachers strike...
CJ impeachment....

Ok.. now CHOGM and Human Rights issues..

There are no reason to cancel CHOGM. CJ was removed in accordance with our constitution.
I believe that former CJ was not a corrupt person, but when President ask she should have resigned.
President was also had fair reason to ask her to leave. Quality of her orders on Ceylinco issue, AL results and Divi-Neguma bill is not in satisfactory professional level.

It is correct that Kahawaththa Killers, Drug traffickers, Underworld figures do not have human rights.

salt

salt

Key issue here is not whether CJ is right or GOSL is right . The issue here how world politics move in relation to us. How world perceive us the movement by the government.

World see quite differently. I am living outside the country , the opinion here on GOSL is quite negative. They believe all SL media is controlled.
All major institutions are against the removal of CJ and new appointment.
The move is going against us.
We as investors should not look from the angle of GOSL… some commentator try to accuse of negative comments. It’s not about negative comments. It’s a possibility which we should discuss and understand.
If you talk to investors, first question they ask about Reviving Under performing Enterprises bill. It’s not only Sri Lanka, world many countries with similar prospects.

Monster

Monster

I agree with Salt. As an investor, we should look at both positive and negative angles. I don't consider this as a negative post.

Arena

Sri lanka as a country faced to the war crime criticisms. So do you think this is a bigger issue than war crime case we had or have. I dont think. Any wat this is a good thing for journalist to talk about. May be couple of Picketing s by So called "deshapremio" team. And a good topic for VW and HElA uruma people.

???????????????

Slstock

Slstock

I already said my opinion about this meetings and these countries. They are also not stupid to go out of their way to put crazy sanctions which can bite them back on their hiny unless it is essential. Am still trying figure out what is so essential to put these sanctions. Any ideas?

Most politics are for personal advantage or a benefit than standing up for absolute human rights.
Sri Lanka is not perfect, but are there countries which are bigger threats to them?

Also there are sides which we do not see. Verbal statements and warnings are to show superiority. But to take action they need to have very strong reasons and also moves that does not backfire.

Even if they do take action, as an investor it is good to first understand , where most of our revenue/investments come from. How much support, aid do we get from CW countries? Where are majority of the funds investing at CSE from?

If by chance there are any issues and market panics, it will be short term and an opportunity to buy.
If one is worried so much about fluctuations, they can stay away from the market until everything is fine ( hmm will it ever)

When it comes to stock market investment, investors will look at how safe their money is and can they get a return above average within their time span. I really doubt the Govn will be that stupid to play around with money that comes in as investments and do anything to spoil that. Did you see the demand for Sri Lankan Bonds? Even during UN human right meetings last year .

If you are living abroad, we can help more by talking about this issues with related parties who are looking at these in a totally negative angle. Ofcourse our Govn has faults and has also much to learn.
They need to understand that transparency and fairness will attract more. But right now the question is will these meetings attract less?

Also of they p**** off people, it is not the foreginer they will have to worry about ;-)

Having said all this, I do not uphold all what Sri Lankan govn does. They too should get their act together as
there is much to be done for better democracy and transparency. Also sometimes we need to leave ego aside to see a a bigger picture that can help better in the long term.

Politicians( lcoal and foreign) needs to know what short t term they can get their way by using power . But one fine day what happens when they loose it ?

Monster wrote:I agree with Salt. As an investor, we should look at both positive and negative angles. I don't consider this as a negative post.

salt

salt

Arena wrote:Sri lanka as a country faced to the war crime criticisms. So do you think this is a bigger issue than war crime case we had or have. I dont think. Any wat this is a good thing for journalist to talk about. May be couple of Picketing s by So called "deshapremio" team. And a good topic for VW and HElA uruma people.

???????????????
I reckon this is the same issue... war crimes, HR .. all are the same. Anyhow, its up to you to how to interpret it.

Whitebull

salt wrote:Key issue here is not whether CJ is right or GOSL is right . The issue here how world politics move in relation to us. How world perceive us the movement by the government.

World see quite differently. I am living outside the country , the opinion here on GOSL is quite negative. They believe all SL media is controlled.
All major institutions are against the removal of CJ and new appointment.
The move is going against us.
We as investors should not look from the angle of GOSL… some commentator try to accuse of negative comments. It’s not about negative comments. It’s a possibility which we should discuss and understand.
If you talk to investors, first question they ask about Reviving Under performing Enterprises bill. It’s not only Sri Lanka, world many countries with similar prospects.
I also do not think that your comment is a negative one.But no one can disagree that image about our country in your living area is clearly an exaggeration mainly done by so called independent media.As a Sri Lankan living in abroad you could try to correct that image but when doing so you should know that person who is truely sleeping can be awaken while who is pretending can not be.

Whitebull

salt wrote:
Arena wrote:Sri lanka as a country faced to the war crime criticisms. So do you think this is a bigger issue than war crime case we had or have. I dont think. Any wat this is a good thing for journalist to talk about. May be couple of Picketing s by So called "deshapremio" team. And a good topic for VW and HElA uruma people.

???????????????
I reckon this is the same issue... war crimes, HR .. all are the same. Anyhow, its up to you to how to interpret it.
Yes in a sense these are the same issues.....
Then what is that sense ? The methods used by western gang to accuse the independent countries governed by western gang unfriendly governments.

D.G.Dayaratne

The govt invite embargoes and sanctions for existence
If there is any such thing govt will market it saying " International Coup"

Good slogan for "DESHAPREMIS" like .......... in this forum

This Govt do not believe "Prevention is Better than CURE"

This govt slogan is " Nothing like Inviting Troubles"

"Ahaiku INNA NAY REDDE ASSE DAGENA KANO KANO KIYA KEGAHANAWA":

Hanoifortune

Hanoifortune

Embargo wont come that fast.Gov will play the card well.

wiki

I think Sanction is entirely depend on the Geo political interest.. It is depend on how we deal with China ,India and West..especially China.

Currently China access to Indian ocean (oil rich countries in the middle east and Africa) through the Malacca strait, which is surrounded by US friendly countries. Therefore China is building a ground supply route through Myanmar (Obama came to Myanmar recently Very Happy ..how important Myanmar to US). They have built several ports in this route H tota is one them. These ports are known as Perls of Indian ocean are considered as security threats by India and US..

United Nations / United States embargoes and sanctions 800px-10

UN actions

We have unsettle issues related to HR and Tamils in the country and there is strong lobbying by the Tamil diaspora in the world than SL gov.This issue is concern for India also. Now there is suggestion by some parties to hold UN mediated referendum in the North and East.. Mad

All investments and Future will depend on how intelligent we are... how we can settle these issues. our internal problems can be fuel to outsiders (not Tamils) to justify their actions..

Anyway I believe there wont be significant impact to investment in near future..

D.G.Dayaratne

Some time govt might play the card well as mentioned by Hanoifortune .I agree

Why Govt can't use that effort for development work.?

Do you think creating problem and solving those problems is efficiency

If that is so this govt may be the most efficient govt in the world

Hanoifortune

Hanoifortune

This government has to be there for another few terms. If not them we could have lost our integrity and sovereignty. But they have a responsibility to ease the misunderstanding between communities before taking any development work.
For development with public and private sectors participation only possible. Meantime, Gov.’s Responsibility is to reduce the waste and corruption and make sure law and order are in place. These are our timely need; if there are improvements on these, there is no need others to poke their nose into our country.

D.G.Dayaratne

Without independent judiciary how can prevent corruption ?

Govt will have to help supporters when judiciary is under the control of govt

When judiciary is independent govt can say corrupt supporters "sorry we cant help you the judiciary is independent"

"A GENI or miniha MAMA KIYANA DEWAL AHANNE NE MAMA MONAWA KORNNEY "

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum