FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by ErangaDS Today at 10:24 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ErangaDS Today at 10:22 am

» ‘Port City Colombo makes progress in attracting key investments’
by samaritan Yesterday at 9:26 am

» Mahaweli Reach Hotels (MRH.N)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:25 pm

» THE KANDY HOTELS COMPANY (1983) PLC (KHC.N0000)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:23 pm

» ACCESS ENGINEERING PLC (AEL) Will pass IPO Price of Rs 25 ?????
by ddrperera Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:09 pm

» LANKA CREDIT AND BUSINESS FINANCE PLC (LCBF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:40 am

» FIRST CAPITAL HOLDINGS PLC (CFVF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:38 am

» LOLC FINANCE PLC (LOFC.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:20 am

» SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC (SLTL.N0000)
by sureshot Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:37 am

» COCR IN TROUBLE?
by D.G.Dayaratne Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:59 pm

» Sri Lanka confident of speedy debt resolution as positive economic reforms echoes at IMF/WB meetings
by samaritan Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:28 am

» TAFL is the most undervalued & highly potential counter in the Poultry Sector
by LAMDA Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:58 am

» Construction Sector Boom with Purchasing manager's indices
by rukshan1234 Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:24 pm

» Asha Securities and Asia Securities Target AEL (Access Enginnering PLC )
by Anushka Perz Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:30 pm

» Sri Lanka: China EXIM Bank Debt Moratorium to End in April 2024
by DeepFreakingValue Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:22 pm

» Uncertainty over impending elections could risk Lanka’s economic recovery: ADB
by God Father Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:47 pm

» Sri Lanka's Debt Restructuring Hits Roadblock with Bondholders
by God Father Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:42 pm

» BROWN'S INVESTMENTS SHOULD CONSIDER BUYING BITCOIN
by ADVENTUS Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:48 pm

» Bank run leading the way in 2024
by bkasun Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:21 pm

» ASPI: Undoing GR/Covid19!
by DeepFreakingValue Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:25 am

» Learn CSE Rules and Regulations with the help of AI Assistant
by ChatGPT Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:47 am

» Top AI tools in Sri Lanka
by ChatGPT Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:21 am

» HDFC- Best ever profit reported in 2023
by ApolloCSE Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:43 pm

» WAPO 200% UP
by LAMDA Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:41 pm

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

Disclaimer
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

The information contained in this FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ have been submitted by third parties directly without any verification by us. The information available in this forum is not researched or purported to be complete description of the subject matter referred to herein. We do not under any circumstances whatsoever guarantee the accuracy and completeness information contained herein. FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not in any way be responsible or liable for loss or damage which any person or party may sustain or incur by relying on the contents of this report and acting directly or indirectly in any manner whatsoever. Trading or investing in stocks & commodities is a high risk activity. Any action you choose to take in the markets is totally your own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental damages or loss arising out of the use of this information. The information on this website is neither an offer to sell nor solicitation to buy any of the securities mentioned herein. The writers may or may not be trading in the securities mentioned.

Further the writers and users shall not induce or attempt to induce another person to trade in securities using this platform (a) by making or publishing any statement or by making any forecast that he knows to be misleading, false or deceptive; (b) by any dishonest concealment of material facts; (c) by the reckless making or publishing, dishonestly or otherwise of any statement or forecast that is misleading, false or deceptive; or (d) by recording or storing in, or by means of, any mechanical, electronic or other device, information that he knows to be false or misleading in a material particular. Any action writers and users take in respect of (a),(b),(c) and (d) above shall be their own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental violation of securities laws of any country, damages or loss arising out of the use of this information.

AI Live Chat

You are not connected. Please login or register

Biggest single investment ever

+10
Slstock
Fresher
malanp
econ
KDDND
Kithsiri
Chinwi
Backstage
Arena
rainmaker
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Biggest single investment ever Empty Biggest single investment ever Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:36 am

rainmaker

Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics

http://www.lankabusinessonline.com/news/sri-lanka-us$1.5bn-expressway-to-top-china-toll-road-firm/2071954996

2Biggest single investment ever Empty Re: Biggest single investment ever Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:24 am

Arena

great work Mr. MR

Gov. is in a hurry to develop the road net work but I never thought they can do it this much fast. Feel they will bridge the gap we have from 1980 s

3Biggest single investment ever Empty Re: Biggest single investment ever Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:59 pm

Backstage

Backstage

Hopefully we wont have gaps in the bridges.Smile 

4Biggest single investment ever Empty Re: Biggest single investment ever Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:12 pm

Arena

lol! lol! lol! 

5Biggest single investment ever Empty Re: Biggest single investment ever Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:05 pm

Chinwi

Chinwi
Associate Director - Equity Analytics

මෙයට වසර කිහිපයකට පෙර විදෙස් රට වලදී තම වාහනයේ මා නංවා ගත් මිතුරන් ගව් ගානක් දුරට විහිදී යන අධිවේගී අන්තර් නගර මං පෙත් හි මා රැගෙන යද්දී ....  අනේ මගේ රටෙත් මෙවන් පාරක මෙසේ වාහනයක් පදවාගෙන යන්න මාගේ ජිවිත කාලය තුල මට කවදාවත් හැකි වෙන්නේ නැහැ නේද යයි සිතුන වාර අනන්තයි. ...

6Biggest single investment ever Empty Re: Biggest single investment ever Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:42 pm

Kithsiri

Kithsiri
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics

අනේ මේ බොරු වියදම් වලට ඉති ගෙවන්නේ අපේ දරුවෝ නේද කියලා හිතෙනේකොට තමා Shocked 

7Biggest single investment ever Empty Re: Biggest single investment ever Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:45 pm

KDDND

KDDND

As per my point of view.....

I am supporting building of high way network....
I see good benefits to people who will use it and who will not use other roads....

it saving...time, increase the durability of vehicles, save fuel, increase use of time, increase productivity of professionals and leaders....,

my concern are how well do they build it.... how well they well they will maintain the entries and exit of these high ways... specially in and around Colombo area...

if this network will not be like another NORRECHCHOLE..... in rate of commission and level of performances/operations

this proposal will be big step for the country...

happy to wait HAPPILY!!! Cool 

8Biggest single investment ever Empty Re: Biggest single investment ever Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:57 pm

econ

econ
Global Moderator

None of these roads are building with donations.. all are loans from china.. some day we may end up being Chinese colony for not paying debt.

9Biggest single investment ever Empty Re: Biggest single investment ever Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:34 pm

Kithsiri

Kithsiri

KDDND wrote:As per my point of view.....
I see good benefits to people who will use it and who will not use other roads....
it saving...time, increase the durability of vehicles, save fuel, increase use of time, increase productivity of professionals and leaders....,
my concern are how well do they build it.... how well they well they will maintain the entries and exit of these high ways... specially in and around Colombo area...
if this network will not be like another NORRECHCHOLE..... in rate of commission and level of performances/operations
Show me the increase in the productivity, reduction in the prices of the goods and Employment creation and then I will agree with you on this (wasteful) extravagant legacy making projects.

10Biggest single investment ever Empty Re: Biggest single investment ever Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:37 pm

Chinwi

Chinwi

As per the news and as I understood,  it is a toll road company.

... a top toll road operator in China to plan, design, finance, construct and operate ...

That means BOOT or BOO

Note:

BOOT = Financing arrangement in which a developer ,
(1) designs and builds a complete project or facility at little or no cost to the government or a joint venture partner,
(2) owns and operates the facility as a business for a specified period (usually 10 to 30 years) after which
(3) transfers it to the government or partner at a previously agreed-upon or market-price.

BOO = it remains as a property of the company. Normally roads are not taken to this category.

11Biggest single investment ever Empty Re: Biggest single investment ever Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:27 am

malanp

Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

what will be the impact on
1. government debt
2. exchange rate

Then we can quantify the impact on CSE.

All other factors seems to be positive,
government should develop the whole A9 road this way.

12Biggest single investment ever Empty Re: Biggest single investment ever Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:08 am

Fresher

(Without much study about this) I feel that to generate an adequate ROI, the toll would be a significant amount. As long as it justifies the benefits, it is fine.

As for the Southern Expressway, although the government boasts about the revenue collection, I'm unsure about the actual "profit". For once it was a good project but absolutely no point building infrastructure if it does not bring in direct or indirect gains now or in the future.

As Chinwi mentioned, since this seems to be a whole package by the Chinese company, it will not have a burden on the government (how about compensations?) and would be done in a profitable manner. (Hopefully profitable for SL too)

13Biggest single investment ever Empty Re: Biggest single investment ever Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:21 pm

rainmaker

The Kandy Colombo will be the greatest cash cow ever.

Toll roads are good investments. Especially if your bringing production material tax free and having cheap labour.

China Merchants will also own the East port terminal

14Biggest single investment ever Empty Re: Biggest single investment ever Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:51 pm

Chinwi

Chinwi

rainmaker wrote:The Kandy Colombo will be the greatest cash cow ever.
Very Correct.

Their cost of construction will be much lower and they will get the benefit for long time.

The Government may have to pay billions as compensation to the people for acquired lands.

15Biggest single investment ever Empty Re: Biggest single investment ever Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:43 pm

Chinwi

Chinwi

Arena wrote:great work Mr. MR

Gov. is in a hurry to develop the road net work but I never thought they can do it this much fast. Feel they will bridge the gap we have from 1980 s

http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t29794-for-your-weekend-reading#175897

16Biggest single investment ever Empty Re: Biggest single investment ever Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:31 pm

Slstock

Slstock
Director - Equity Analytics

First stage of solid development of a country is to have a good transport network.

17Biggest single investment ever Empty Re: Biggest single investment ever Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:37 pm

D.G.Dayaratne

Why the govt do not make same effort in respect of improvement of rule of law
in this country

See Hambatota P.S member case and statement made by British M.P

If this govt give proper attention to improve Rule of Law this may be the BEST GOVT IN SRI LANKA

18Biggest single investment ever Empty Re: Biggest single investment ever Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:50 pm

Kithsiri

Kithsiri

slstock wrote:First stage of  solid development of a country  is to have a good transport network.
Time is money and I agree to some extent but at what cost ? confused 

19Biggest single investment ever Empty Re: Biggest single investment ever Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:52 pm

econ

econ
Global Moderator

slstock wrote:First stage of  solid development of a country  is to have a good transport network.

yes but sl should start good railway system first before going for luxury highways for small country like sl.
We have railway system built by the british 100 years ago. no improvement at all.

20Biggest single investment ever Empty Re: Biggest single investment ever Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:46 am

KDDND

KDDND

Kithsiri wrote:
KDDND wrote:As per my point of view.....
Show me the increase in the productivity, reduction in the prices of the goods and Employment creation and then I will agree with you on this (wasteful) extravagant legacy making projects.

@kithsiri

I meant here professionals and leaders .....
there are mostly individual level benefits when compared to institutional level benefits.....
there are mostly institutional level when compared to country level benefits.......
[i have talked some genuine & fair contributors who used southern high way...... that what they say.... ]

I would agree with you...... TOTALLY...
the most important highway of the country was not the one THE BRAINS OF THIS GOVERNMENT SELECTED & BUILT FIRST...!!!! [southern high way was LESS important when compared to... KANDY, KURUNEGALA & KATUNAYAKE - not in order]

kind of a selfish decision - southern high way.......[ but i reasonably agreed that all most all the government ignored the development of the southern part of the country, so now it may be like - kala dutu kala wala iha ganima wani wadak by this........ so can't balme much... ]

But sincerely and highly believe that once the KANDY, KURUNEGALA, KATUNAYAKE, COLOMBO BY PASS high ways break the most of the trafic limitation - thus give very good opportunities for the GENUINE BUSINESSMEN, PROFESSIONALS, LEADERS to perform well during their best time of short life so the country and mass will benefits it well.

my most concern if HOW THE EXIT and ENTERY point of these highways will manage the trafic...... if this FAIL... almost all benefits expected will be LOSE!

The level of benefit I expected from highways surely will be increase day by day....month by month... year by year...decade by decade.....
so I support this highway network building project but..... I HAVE only 30-60% trusts on effectiveness of building process.....this is PURELY DUE TO POLITICAL MALFUNCTIONING of the KINITHULLO type POLITICIAN of the THIS COUNTRY....no matter who was in..... is in... will be in.... POWER of this country...!!!

Ooops.... to extreme da...am I? ehemama nahe neda???
Smile
GL!

21Biggest single investment ever Empty Re: Biggest single investment ever Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:56 am

malanp

The first stage of solid development is a good rule of law. that is deteriorating on daily basis in sri lanka. Good road network gives a consolation, but we can not reap the full benefits since investors are not willing to invest.

foreign investors had to find justice through their embasies - in Daraniyagala case it is US embassy asking for the justice.

22Biggest single investment ever Empty Re: Biggest single investment ever Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:40 am

slrkman

Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic

Warnings to businesses around the Kandy Road!!

What happened now to Sinharaja ,Monis etc. which are in Galle road? The same thing will be happened to merchants around the present Kandy road.

Any1 know when will this project start and finish?

23Biggest single investment ever Empty Re: Biggest single investment ever Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:55 am

Kithsiri

Kithsiri

When I changed my residence a few years back, I started exploring the new place; driving around on narrow back roads to see where they would go and how long it would take.
Then I realized that we have a wonderful network of tarred but narrow and poorly maintained back roads like veins in your body connecting to main arteries at strategic points.
I do not think most of them need no more widening but regular and good maintenance is all what is needed to keep the flow of the traffic smooth and not getting stuck.
Same can be said about the Rail network.
Little bit of an extension and regular and proper maintenance are all what we need here and not just more concrete serpents capable only of swallowing money and environment.
Read the success story of Curitiba in Brazil. Very Happy 
http://www.pbs.org/frontlineworld/fellows/brazil1203/
We need visionaries to represent us and not hell-bent on legacy making megalomaniacs. Shocked 

24Biggest single investment ever Empty Re: Biggest single investment ever Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:51 pm

Jana1

That is fundamentally sound good.

But if u dig your head more deeper into the SL road network, this is absolutely bleak investment which could probably jeopardize economy in da long run. After 30 years of toll period that road should be maintained by government in addition to existing A9 highway. Due to toll return china could make positive cash flow for their investment. Check road density of developed countries. (km length road per 100 km2 of land area)

Sri Lanka-174
UK-172
Canada-10
Australia-9
Us-60
Norway-29
NZ-35

We are almost beyond our capacity and think about the maintenance cost...It doesn't make any sense na??

25Biggest single investment ever Empty Re: Biggest single investment ever Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:53 pm

Slstock

Slstock

People did not get the main point here.

In economic terms time is money. Development goes hand in hand with...... ?

Think :
Can a tourist or for business purposes really afford to spend 3 hours to travel 72 miles ( for example) by rail or road? Maybe there are many different paths or means to get from A to B but are they efficient ?

Now , how the network is built is not analyzed in the above statement but only the need is mentioned. Ofcourse the network should be built via efficient and sustainable methods. Whether the Govn is doing that is another matter .

Side note :
Though we can criticize the british for certain issues, we should atleast thank them for a road networks which we used for over a century. We need to now adjust with 21st century if we need to push for development. It will be not be easy with many inefficiencies from top of bottom.

But we need to start somewhere.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum