FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.


Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com


Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.


Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post

Poll

Can there be another Covid-19 wave in Sri Lanka?

 
 
 

View results

STOCK MARKET TRAINING
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post


CONATCT US


Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer



Latest topics

» ලාභ ගන්න කොටස් වලින් මේක සම්පූර්ණයෙන්ම කියවන්න
by D.G.Dayaratne Today at 6:20 pm

» EXPOLANKA HOLDINGS PLC Interim Financial Statements quarter ended 30th June 2021
by cseguide Today at 6:02 pm

» Shares to Buy
by Niwa Today at 12:59 pm

» Successful investment strategies require an understanding of the forces of stock market nature, and disciplined rules of portfolio management.
by Asoka Samarakone Yesterday at 9:12 pm

» LANKA ALUMINIUM INDUSTRIES PLC (LALU.N0000)
by Niwa Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» Directors' Dealings today
by SAGA Yesterday at 6:02 pm

» Top Foreign Trading today
by SAGA Yesterday at 5:59 pm

» CHEVRON LUBRICANTS LANKA PLC (LLUB.N0000)
by Antonym Yesterday at 5:37 pm

» Boga unusual Collection....
by Wickyz Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:14 pm

» MILLENNIUM HOUSING DEVELOPERS PLC (MHDL.N0000)
by jehan008 Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:11 pm

» Sri Lanka FOB prices for black tea highest in the world
by samaritan Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:18 pm

» DPL Take over
by Vishwanarth Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:12 pm

» HVA FOODS PLC (HVA.N0000)
by samaritan Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:02 am

» INDUSTRIAL ASPHALTS (CEYLON) PLC (ASPH.N0000)
by dayandacool Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:09 am

» CITIZENS DEVELOPMENT BUSINESS FINANCE PLC(CDB.N0000)
by engineer Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:06 am

» RENUKA CAPITAL PLC . KZOO.N
by Pbv Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:22 am

» What will happen to AMF¿??????
by Tissa Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:46 pm

» Expert view on AMF??
by Tissa Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:12 pm

» Sell EXPO Buy EDEN sentiment changed to Exit EXPO Enter EDEN
by Bakkabwoi Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:57 pm

» What are the short term profit stocks you are planning to buy on this Monday? (Only honest ppl please)
by Hope123 Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:04 pm

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

MARKET CHAT


CHRONICLE™ ANALYTICS


ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)


CHRONICLE™ YouTube

LATEST TWEETS

You are not connected. Please login or register

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ » DAILY CHRONICLE™ » Compare India and SRI Lanka

Compare India and SRI Lanka

+2
K.Haputantri
D.G.Dayaratne
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Compare India and SRI Lanka Empty Compare India and SRI Lanka Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:17 am

D.G.Dayaratne


Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics
BE INDIAN, BUT NOT IN INDIA
Forwarded as received. Received from NRI businessman's Group in India
VERY INTERESTING AND TRUE, MUST READ

This is worth a read. Who ever put this together (is no fool and has the right vision about India) makes sense and is an eye opener.

I remember Brits in our own country India. Indians use to say YES SIR joining their hands and bowing to them.

What for? Because of the white skin? No wonder Brits ruled the world and took us as fools? India would have been Britain if our ancestors were smart enough.
Thought Provoking:

I would like to sum up our performance in the 20th century in one sentence. Indians have succeeded in countries ruled by whites, but failed in their own. This outcome would have astonished leaders of our independence movement. They declared Indians were kept down by white rule and could flourish only under self-rule. This seemed self-evident. The harsh reality today is that Indians are succeeding brilliantly in countries ruled by whites, but failing in India. They are flourishing in the USA and Britain.

But those that stay in India are pulled down by an outrageous system that fails to reward merit or talent, fails to allow people and businesses to grow, and keeps real power with leaders, politicians, and assorted manipulators. Once Indians go to white-ruled countries, they soar and conquer summits once occupied only by whites.

Rono Dutta has become head of United Airlines, the biggest airline in the world ( Fleet size -705 Aircraft and 381 destinations world wide). Had he stayed in India, he would have no chance in Indian Airlines.
Even if the top job there was given to him by some godfather, politicians and trade unionists would have ensured that he could never run it like United Airlines. Vikram Pundit was head of Citigroup until recently, which operates Citibank, one of the largest banks in the world.

Rana Talwar has become head of Standard Chartered Bank, one of the biggest multinational banks in Britain, while still in his 40s. Had he been in India, he would perhaps be a local manager in the State Bank, taking orders from politicians to give loans to politically favored clients.

Lakhsmi Mittal has become the biggest steel baron in the world, with steel plants in the US, Kazakhstan, Germany, Mexico, Trinidad and Indonesia. India's socialist policies reserved the domestic steel industry for the public sector. So Lakhsmi Mittal went to Indonesia to run his family's first steel plant there. Once freed from the shackles of India, he conquered the world.

Subhash Chandra of Zee TV has become a global media king, one of the few to beat Rupert Murdoch. He could never have risen had he been limited to India, which decreed a TV monopoly for Indian company, Doordarshan. But technology came to his aid: satellite TV made it possible for him to target India from Hong Kong. Once he escaped Indian rules and soil, he soared.

You may not have heard of 48-year old Gururaj Deshpande. His communications company, Sycamore, is currently valued by the US stock market at over $30 billion, making him perhaps one of the richest Indians in the world. Had he remained in India, he would probably be a politician in the Department of Telecommunications.

Arun Netravali has become president of Bell Labs, one of the biggest research and development centers in the world with 30,000 inventions and several Nobel Prizes to its credit. Had he been in India, he would probably be struggling in the middle cadre of Indian Telephone Industries. Silicon Valley alone contains over 100,000 Indian millionaires.

Indra Krishnamurthy Nooyi has been the CEO of PepsiCo Inc. since 2006, a Fortune 500 company. Sabeer Bhatia invented Hotmail and sold it to Microsoft for $ 400 million. Victor Menezes, born in Pune in 1949, was number two in Citibank until late last year. Shailesh Mehta is CEO of Providian, a top US financial services company. Also at or near the top are Rakesh Gangwal of US Air, Jamshed Wadia of Arthur Andersen, and Aman Mehta of Hong Kong Shanghai Banking Corp.

In Washington DC, the Indian CEO High Tech Council has no less than 200 members, all high tech-chiefs. While Indians have soared, India has stagnated. At independence India was the most advanced of all colonies, with the best prospects.

Today with a GNP per head of $370, it occupies a lowly 177th position among 209 countries of the world. But poverty is by no means the only or main problem. India* *ranks near the bottom in the United Nation's Human Development Index, but high up in Transparency International's Corruption Index.

The politician-raj brought in by socialist policies is only one reason for India 's failure. The more sordid reason is the rule-based society we inherited from the British Raj is today in tatters. Instead money, muscle and influence matter most.

At independence we were justly proud of our politicians. Today, we regard them as scoundrels and criminals. They have created a jungle of laws in the holy name of socialism, and used these to line their pockets and create patronage networks. No influential crook suffers. The Mafia flourish unhindered because they have political links.

The sons of police officers believe they have a license to rape and kill. Talent cannot take you far amid such bad governance.

We are reverting to our ancient feudal system where no rules applied to the powerful. The British Raj brought in abstract concepts of justice for all, equality before the law. These were maintained in the early years of independence. But sixty years later, citizens wail that India is a lawless land where no rules are obeyed.

I have heard of an IAS probationer at the Delhi training academy pointing out that in India before the British came, making money and distributing favors to relatives was not considered a perversion of power, it was the very rationale of power. A feudal official had a duty to enrich his family and caste.

Then the British came and imposed a new ethical code on officials. But, he asked, why should we continue to choose British customs over Indian ones now that we are independent?

The lack of transparent rules, properly enforced, is a major reason why talented Indians cannot rise in India. A second reason is the politician-raj, which remains intact despite supposed liberalization. But once talented Indians go to rule-based societies in the west, they take off. In those societies all people play by the same rules, all have freedom to innovate without being strangled by regulations.

This, then, is why Indians succeed in countries ruled by Non-Indians, and fail in their own.

It is the saddest story of the century. Be Indian BUT Not in INDIA



Last edited by sriranga on Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:45 am; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Font size - Source: http://swaminomics.org/indians-succeed-india-fails/)

2Compare India and SRI Lanka Empty Re: Compare India and SRI Lanka Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:18 pm

K.Haputantri

K.Haputantri
Co-Admin
Be Sri Lankan but, not in Sri Lanka. Thanks Daya for sharing. Its a thought provoking one. clown

3Compare India and SRI Lanka Empty Re: Compare India and SRI Lanka Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:15 pm

janakatk

janakatk
Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic
worthy reading.. Sri Lanka too !!!

4Compare India and SRI Lanka Empty Re: Compare India and SRI Lanka Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:22 pm

kukumarx


Manager - Equity Analytics
Manager - Equity Analytics
Thanks for Sharing, It is a very interesting read!

Totally agree with the sentiments expressed. However I feel India is changing for the better but very slowly.

Britain and other European countries evolved from a feudal system to a Liberal democracy over several centuries. Australia and America are transplants from this parent.

Post 1991 the rising middle class has been driving change in India. An example that comes to mind is the recent victory of anti corruption party in the state elections in New Delhi.

It will take along time but I think India has slowly started to change!

5Compare India and SRI Lanka Empty Re: Compare India and SRI Lanka Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:57 pm

wiki


Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics
Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics
Thanks.

This is true for many countries like us...

6Compare India and SRI Lanka Empty Re: Compare India and SRI Lanka Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:42 pm

kukumarx


Manager - Equity Analytics
Manager - Equity Analytics
List of politicians in India charged with corruption

Source http://ethics.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_politicians_in_India_charged_with_corruption.

(Not only opposition politicians but there are several politicians of the ruling party and (and allies of ruling party) in the list. Well known politicians in the list are  M. K. Kanimozhi, daughter of Tamil Nadu's Karunanidhi and Lalu Prasad Yadav, former chief minister of Bihar and Railway minister.)

Kripashankar Singh President of Congress - Mumbai chapter, Minister of State in Govt. of Maharashtra Disproportionate Assets running into several hundred Crore rupees.[5] The Bombay High Court directed the city police commissioner to prosecute him for "criminal misconduct" under the PC Act. [6][7]Investigation is in progress.

Bangaru Laxman President of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Bribery in defence deal. He was caught accepting bribe in a Sting operation carried out by Tehelka magazine Convicted by a Special CBI Court [8]

Prakash Singh Badal Chief Minister of Punjab Cheating, Disproportionate Assets Acquitted after witnesses turned hostile[9][10]

Sukhbir Singh Badal Deputy Chief Minister of Punjab Cheating, Disproportionate Assets, Intimidating journalists[11] Acquitted after witnesses turned hostile,[9][10] Other cases still pending

Ashok Chavan Chief Minister of Maharashtra Adarsh Housing Society Scam Accused by CBI, trial pending[12]

Suresh Jain Minister for food and civil supplies, Maharashtra Corruption in Jalgaon District Co-operative Bank Implicated by the Sawant Commission[13]

Balram Jakhar Union Minister and Speaker Hawala scandal Acquitted of all charges[14][15]

C K Jaffer Sheriff A senior leader of the Indian National Congress party from Karnataka. He was the Railway Minister in the Government of India from 1991-95. Charged for causing loss to the public exchequer regarding his 1995 foreign trip. Chargesheet filed by CBI. Charges framed by special CBI on 3 July 2012. Trial to begin on 21 August 2012.[16]

Pratap Singh Kairon Chief Minister of Punjab Corruption Commission of inquiry Indicted him. Resigned. Finally assassinated

Suresh Kalmadi Member of Parliament CWG scam Indicted and arrested, released on bail[17]

M. K. Kanimozhi Member of Parliament 2G spectrum scam Indicted and arrested, released on bail[18]

Jagir Kaur Minister, Punjab Government Conspiracy to murder her own daughter Trial continuing[19]

Madhu Koda Chief Minister of Jharkhand Rs 4000 crore (USD 8.8 bn) graft money case In jail since 2009, investigation continues[20]

R.Balakrishna Pillai Minister, Kerala Government Idamalayar Dam Graft case Convicted, serving sentence[21]

A. Raja Union Cabinet Minister for Communications and Information Technology 2G spectrum scam Indicted and arrested, Awaiting trial[22]

Sukh Ram Telecom Minister 1993 Telecom scam Sentenced to three years rigorous imprisonment by sessions court in July 2002 which was upheld by Delhi High Court on December 21, 2011. Supreme Court granted him an interim bail till August 7, 2012.[23]
In another related case sessions court on November 20, 2011 awarded him five years of rigorous imprisonment.[24][25]

P. V. Narasimha Rao (deceased) Prime Minister Alleged offering of bribes, alleged framing of V.P. Singh, and cheating Lakhubhai Pathak Higher court overturned conviction in the first case and the trial court acquitted him in the other two cases[26][27][28][29]

S. Jaganmohan Reddy Member of Parliament Disproportionate Assets Chargesheeted by CBI, Awaiting prosecution[30]

Pinarayi Vijayan Kerala State Secretary of CPIM SNC-Lavalin case. Awaiting prosecution[31]

Lalu Prasad Yadav Chief Minister of Bihar, Minister of Railways Fodder scam, others Acquitted in 2006 in Disproportionate Assets case.[32][33]
As of May 2012, Fodder scam cases still going on.[34] [35][36]

B. S. Yeddyurappa Former Chief Minister of Karnataka Illegal mining scam Surrendered to Lokayukta court, was in judicial custody for 22 days, released on bail[37][38]

G. Janardhana Reddy Member of Legislative Council, Government of Karnataka Illegal mining scam In judicial custody in Hyderabad[39]

Virbhadra Singh Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh, Union Minister of Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises Misuse of official position (chief minister) and criminal conduct[40] Chargesheet filed in court of special Judge BL Soni[40]

Tota Singh [41] Education Minister (Govt of Punjab), Agriculture Minister (Govt. of Punjab)[41] Disproportionate Assets: Misusing official position and possessing property worth Template:INR 10 crore which was stated to be disproportionate to his known sources of income [42] Convicted by trial court, gets 1 year jail term [41]

7Compare India and SRI Lanka Empty Re: Compare India and SRI Lanka Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:48 pm

Redbulls

Redbulls
Director - Equity Analytics
Director - Equity Analytics
@kukumarx wrote:List of politicians in India charged with corruption

Source http://ethics.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_politicians_in_India_charged_with_corruption.

(Not only opposition politicians but there are several politicians of the ruling party and (and allies of ruling party) in the list. Well known politicians in the list are  M. K. Kanimozhi, daughter of Tamil Nadu's Karunanidhi and Lalu Prasad Yadav, former chief minister of Bihar and Railway minister.)

Kripashankar Singh President of Congress - Mumbai chapter, Minister of State in Govt. of Maharashtra Disproportionate Assets running into several hundred Crore rupees.[5] The Bombay High Court directed the city police commissioner to prosecute him for "criminal misconduct" under the PC Act. [6][7]Investigation is in progress.

Bangaru Laxman President of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Bribery in defence deal. He was caught accepting bribe in a Sting operation carried out by Tehelka magazine Convicted by a Special CBI Court [8]

Prakash Singh Badal Chief Minister of Punjab Cheating, Disproportionate Assets Acquitted after witnesses turned hostile[9][10]

Sukhbir Singh Badal Deputy Chief Minister of Punjab Cheating, Disproportionate Assets, Intimidating journalists[11] Acquitted after witnesses turned hostile,[9][10] Other cases still pending

Ashok Chavan Chief Minister of Maharashtra Adarsh Housing Society Scam Accused by CBI, trial pending[12]

Suresh Jain Minister for food and civil supplies, Maharashtra Corruption in Jalgaon District Co-operative Bank Implicated by the Sawant Commission[13]

Balram Jakhar Union Minister and Speaker Hawala scandal Acquitted of all charges[14][15]

C K Jaffer Sheriff A senior leader of the Indian National Congress party from Karnataka. He was the Railway Minister in the Government of India from 1991-95. Charged for causing loss to the public exchequer regarding his 1995 foreign trip. Chargesheet filed by CBI. Charges framed by special CBI on 3 July 2012. Trial to begin on 21 August 2012.[16]

Pratap Singh Kairon Chief Minister of Punjab Corruption Commission of inquiry Indicted him. Resigned. Finally assassinated

Suresh Kalmadi Member of Parliament CWG scam Indicted and arrested, released on bail[17]

M. K. Kanimozhi Member of Parliament 2G spectrum scam Indicted and arrested, released on bail[18]

Jagir Kaur Minister, Punjab Government Conspiracy to murder her own daughter Trial continuing[19]

Madhu Koda Chief Minister of Jharkhand Rs 4000 crore (USD 8.8 bn) graft money case In jail since 2009, investigation continues[20]

R.Balakrishna Pillai Minister, Kerala Government Idamalayar Dam Graft case Convicted, serving sentence[21]

A. Raja Union Cabinet Minister for Communications and Information Technology 2G spectrum scam Indicted and arrested, Awaiting trial[22]

Sukh Ram Telecom Minister 1993 Telecom scam Sentenced to three years rigorous imprisonment by sessions court in July 2002 which was upheld by Delhi High Court on December 21, 2011. Supreme Court granted him an interim bail till August 7, 2012.[23]
In another related case sessions court on November 20, 2011 awarded him five years of rigorous imprisonment.[24][25]

P. V. Narasimha Rao (deceased) Prime Minister Alleged offering of bribes, alleged framing of V.P. Singh, and cheating Lakhubhai Pathak Higher court overturned conviction in the first case and the trial court acquitted him in the other two cases[26][27][28][29]

S. Jaganmohan Reddy Member of Parliament Disproportionate Assets Chargesheeted by CBI, Awaiting prosecution[30]

Pinarayi Vijayan Kerala State Secretary of CPIM SNC-Lavalin case. Awaiting prosecution[31]

Lalu Prasad Yadav Chief Minister of Bihar, Minister of Railways Fodder scam, others Acquitted in 2006 in Disproportionate Assets case.[32][33]
As of May 2012, Fodder scam cases still going on.[34] [35][36]

B. S. Yeddyurappa Former Chief Minister of Karnataka Illegal mining scam Surrendered to Lokayukta court, was in judicial custody for 22 days, released on bail[37][38]

G. Janardhana Reddy Member of Legislative Council, Government of Karnataka Illegal mining scam In judicial custody in Hyderabad[39]

Virbhadra Singh Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh, Union Minister of Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises Misuse of official position (chief minister) and criminal conduct[40] Chargesheet filed in court of special Judge BL Soni[40]

Tota Singh [41] Education Minister (Govt of Punjab), Agriculture Minister (Govt. of Punjab)[41] Disproportionate Assets: Misusing official position and possessing property worth Template:INR 10 crore which was stated to be disproportionate to his known sources of income [42] Convicted by trial court, gets 1 year jail term [41]

Tip of the iceberg.
Dig more, you'll find 99.99% of the politicians will fall into the list in India.
Can we find any list regarding Sri Lankan Politicians?

8Compare India and SRI Lanka Empty Re: Compare India and SRI Lanka Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:43 pm

kukumarx


Manager - Equity Analytics
Manager - Equity Analytics
@Redbulls wrote:
Tip of the iceberg.
Dig more, you'll find 99.99% of the politicians will  fall into the list in India.

True. But at least that country has started cleaning up. Here corruption cases are only for political opponents.

They also have important pieces of legislation in place. The protection of witnesses act., the Freedom of information act, A powerful elections commissioner, an independent central bank, And now the anti-corruption ombudsman (lokpal bill)

9Compare India and SRI Lanka Empty Re: Compare India and SRI Lanka Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:49 pm

Redbulls

Redbulls
Director - Equity Analytics
Director - Equity Analytics
@kukumarx wrote:
@Redbulls wrote:
Tip of the iceberg.
Dig more, you'll find 99.99% of the politicians will  fall into the list in India.

True. But at least that country has started cleaning up. Here corruption cases are only for political opponents.

They also have important pieces of legislation in place. The protection of witnesses act., the Freedom of information act, A powerful elections commissioner, an independent central bank, And now the anti-corruption ombudsman (lokpal bill)


We public as a voters are responsible for this situation, blind Hero worship led our country to this pathetic situation. Now seems to be too late. God can't also help us.

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum