FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by ErangaDS Yesterday at 10:24 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ErangaDS Yesterday at 10:22 am

» ‘Port City Colombo makes progress in attracting key investments’
by samaritan Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 am

» Mahaweli Reach Hotels (MRH.N)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:25 pm

» THE KANDY HOTELS COMPANY (1983) PLC (KHC.N0000)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:23 pm

» ACCESS ENGINEERING PLC (AEL) Will pass IPO Price of Rs 25 ?????
by ddrperera Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:09 pm

» LANKA CREDIT AND BUSINESS FINANCE PLC (LCBF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:40 am

» FIRST CAPITAL HOLDINGS PLC (CFVF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:38 am

» LOLC FINANCE PLC (LOFC.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:20 am

» SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC (SLTL.N0000)
by sureshot Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:37 am

» COCR IN TROUBLE?
by D.G.Dayaratne Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:59 pm

» Sri Lanka confident of speedy debt resolution as positive economic reforms echoes at IMF/WB meetings
by samaritan Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:28 am

» TAFL is the most undervalued & highly potential counter in the Poultry Sector
by LAMDA Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:58 am

» Construction Sector Boom with Purchasing manager's indices
by rukshan1234 Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:24 pm

» Asha Securities and Asia Securities Target AEL (Access Enginnering PLC )
by Anushka Perz Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:30 pm

» Sri Lanka: China EXIM Bank Debt Moratorium to End in April 2024
by DeepFreakingValue Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:22 pm

» Uncertainty over impending elections could risk Lanka’s economic recovery: ADB
by God Father Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:47 pm

» Sri Lanka's Debt Restructuring Hits Roadblock with Bondholders
by God Father Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:42 pm

» BROWN'S INVESTMENTS SHOULD CONSIDER BUYING BITCOIN
by ADVENTUS Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:48 pm

» Bank run leading the way in 2024
by bkasun Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:21 pm

» ASPI: Undoing GR/Covid19!
by DeepFreakingValue Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:25 am

» Learn CSE Rules and Regulations with the help of AI Assistant
by ChatGPT Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:47 am

» Top AI tools in Sri Lanka
by ChatGPT Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:21 am

» HDFC- Best ever profit reported in 2023
by ApolloCSE Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:43 pm

» WAPO 200% UP
by LAMDA Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:41 pm

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

Disclaimer
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

The information contained in this FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ have been submitted by third parties directly without any verification by us. The information available in this forum is not researched or purported to be complete description of the subject matter referred to herein. We do not under any circumstances whatsoever guarantee the accuracy and completeness information contained herein. FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not in any way be responsible or liable for loss or damage which any person or party may sustain or incur by relying on the contents of this report and acting directly or indirectly in any manner whatsoever. Trading or investing in stocks & commodities is a high risk activity. Any action you choose to take in the markets is totally your own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental damages or loss arising out of the use of this information. The information on this website is neither an offer to sell nor solicitation to buy any of the securities mentioned herein. The writers may or may not be trading in the securities mentioned.

Further the writers and users shall not induce or attempt to induce another person to trade in securities using this platform (a) by making or publishing any statement or by making any forecast that he knows to be misleading, false or deceptive; (b) by any dishonest concealment of material facts; (c) by the reckless making or publishing, dishonestly or otherwise of any statement or forecast that is misleading, false or deceptive; or (d) by recording or storing in, or by means of, any mechanical, electronic or other device, information that he knows to be false or misleading in a material particular. Any action writers and users take in respect of (a),(b),(c) and (d) above shall be their own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental violation of securities laws of any country, damages or loss arising out of the use of this information.

AI Live Chat

You are not connected. Please login or register

Energy related stocks and foreigners

+3
Chinwi
Leon
celtic tiger
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Energy related stocks and foreigners  Empty Energy related stocks and foreigners Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:05 am

celtic tiger

Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

With current global situation energy related stocks should do better(that's what I thought) but when you look at yesterday's reports it shows that foreigners were on the selling side. Why is that ? Do they smell something that we can't ??

Leon

Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics
Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics

I think energy sector is very sensitive to many factors. Hydro power mainly to rain. When there's enough rain those should do well. Because it is the cheapest. Thermal power depend on crude oil prices. Crude oil price depends on many more factors. In sri Lankan context government decisions tent to change so rapidly. The recent change was not to extend some power purchasing agreement from private sector.
So I think the nature of vulnerability of this sector may keep foreigners away. Any way Chinwi is the ideal person to comment on this.

Last edited by Leon on Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:50 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

Chinwi

Chinwi
Associate Director - Equity Analytics

At the moment, some energy sector stocks are highly attractive to institutional and big investors who wanted to grab controlling interest or have  long term considerable holding.

Retailers are going behind other sectors and stocks pushed by others .

The predictions of a possible el-nino for this year may affect foreign investors.  This could be a reason for selling. I am not sure.

During last few months of 2013 they predicted high temperature and el nino conditions for 2014. If el nino is fully activated , 2014 will be a dry year with lot of bush fires in some countries.

We did not get Maha rains from October 2013 and rainfed paddy in NCProvince are getting destroyed. Fortunately, yesterday we got good rains and this may help to save our paddy and increase contribution to GDP 2014. Somehow, our hydro-power stations are in the other part of the Island.

BTW, last week, on 9th of this month, USA 's Climate prediction Center  announced ENSO-neutral is expected to continue into the Northern Hemisphere summer 2014. That means el-nino is not activated as expected .
Scientists say recent hot weather and Bush fires in Australia are Not due to el nino conditions .

As per the latest studies of IRI of Columbia Uni. probability for an el-nino is only 10-30% till May 2014. From August it goes up to 40% - 46%

Hence , I hope 2014 will be a moderate year for our hydropower production and the shares will become more attractive with earnings.

I am holding for few more months. Tariffs will  go up in long run.

Slstock

Slstock
Director - Equity Analytics
Director - Equity Analytics

Chinwi, I know you have faith in HPFL but looking at earnings over past few quarters ( when VPEL and VLL did well) , I see HPFL has not show great colours. Their revenue/eps has not increased much from March 2011 when it was a good one ( it is about the same)

But yes it is trading below NAV . Also need to revisit their expansin plan to see whether it can surpass VPEL earnings which is quite healthy.

Chinwi

Chinwi

slstock wrote:Chinwi, I know you have faith in HPFL   but looking at earnings over past few quarters ( when VPEL and VLL did well) , I see HPFL  has not show great colours. Their revenue/eps  has not increased much from March 2011 when it was a good one  ( it is about the same)  

But yes it is trading below NAV . Also need to revisit their expansin plan to see whether it can surpass VPEL earnings which is quite healthy.

Completion of their new plant is getting delayed and not contributing to revenue as expected earlier.  My selection was mainly due to their expansion plan and price correction from 15 ( 2 x NAV) to 5 ( below NAV).

smallville

smallville

Lookin at NAV, yes, HPFL is a good choice.

Have any of you considered the hidden factors in Energy for coming years?
CEB is encouraging individuals to go for Solar solutions. Since CEB has their own Solar project which can connect to grid, either individual homes can produce more and wave off their Electricity bills (conditions apply) or continue to pay the difference. In this case, if this is prospective, would the private power producers be at a disadvantage in years to come?

Or if a Electricity price hike comes, will individuals move to Solar as an alternative?

On the other hand, to produce more, increase production will be entertained and these companies can benefit with more production?
But what if after all these power plants produce energy CEB doesnt want it, like due to the popularity of Solar?

Fresher

smallville wrote:Lookin at NAV, yes, HPFL is a good choice.

Have any of you considered the hidden factors in Energy for coming years?
CEB is encouraging individuals to go for Solar solutions. Since CEB has their own Solar project which can connect to grid, either individual homes can produce more and wave off their Electricity bills (conditions apply) or continue to pay the difference. In this case, if this is prospective, would the private power producers be at a disadvantage in years to come?

Or if a Electricity price hike comes, will individuals move to Solar as an alternative?

On the other hand, to produce more, increase production will be entertained and these companies can benefit with more production?
But what if after all these power plants produce energy CEB doesnt want it, like due to the popularity of Solar?

I do not have numbers but this is what I think.

With the population growth, there needs to be a steady increase in supply. Further, there are quite a few parts of the country that are yet to be provided with electricity i believe.

From what I researched few months back, it is not quite attractive for an individual consuming less than 180 units to go for solar power. Prices may come down further and make it attractive in future. Recently we saw a certain bank providing specific loans to install solar systems. In addition anyone building a new house can install solar and fund it from the housing loan itself.

This maybe a concern for the private producers but Hydro power will be the least affected. IMHO, there is no threat in the near future as far as solar is concerned.

Chinwi - I once looked at some material regarding different tariffs of CEB for purchasing power. Some of the companies do not specify this. Any idea how we can get some info regarding this?

Chinwi

Chinwi

Fresher wrote:

Chinwi - I once looked at some material regarding different tariffs of CEB for purchasing power. Some of the companies do not specify this. Any idea how we can get some info regarding this?

Got this link. I also haven't seen real agreements.

http://www.ceb.lk/download/db/ncre_tariff.pdf

also this:
http://www.lankabusinessonline.com/news/sri-lanka-hikes-renewable-energy-tariffs-by-over-20-pct/879219989

Telling about the flat tariff increase of 28% for the plants built in 2013 and beyond .

Last edited by Chinwi on Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:11 am; edited 1 time in total

Fresher

Chinwi wrote:
Fresher wrote:

Got this link. I also haven't seen real agreements.

http://www.ceb.lk/download/db/ncre_tariff.pdf

Thanks Chinwi. This is the one I checked as well. Seems the companies will have different tariff applied to their various plants and I'm not able to get that info from anywhere. Let's keep checking as it might be useful.

Chinwi

Chinwi

Fresher wrote:

From what I researched few months back, it is not quite attractive for an individual consuming less than 180 units to go for solar power. Prices may come down further and make it attractive in future. Recently we saw a certain bank providing specific loans to install solar systems. In addition anyone building a new house can install solar and fund it from the housing loan itself.

This was the painful reality of netmetering. I was advocating about this for many years.
When the technology was new the prices was extremely high.
Vendors prepare cost - benefit  charts and sell their products.
They prove your investment of around 1 - 1.5 million will be covered withing given years  if you consume over 200 Units.  
Somehow, if you consider the depreciation after 3-4 years and much lower prices of new inverters and panels you will realize your loss.
I think now the situation has changed to a better position. The current prices are somewhat OK to invest. China is controlling the production of panels to stop price drop.
http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Trends/China-hands-death-sentence-to-75-of-solar-cell-makers

Even now, local method without netmetering, a 12V 40 Ah battery, 40-60 W panel, charge controller and few LED bulbs can be assembled by spending about 20-25,000/-.  But it gives you only 12 V supply.

seek

I reduced my Hydro power shares significantly and diversified the stake on COCR, SHL and TAFL. So far, it has been good decision with considerable returns from all three counters.

VLL is my best pick from the sector but seems one director doesn't want the share price to go up since he is still in the collection mood.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum