FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.


Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com


Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.


Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka


Submit PostSubmit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post



Latest topics

» DIPD/HAYC/HAYL
by ADVENTUS Today at 1:11 pm

» Peoples leasing technically positive Target Price Rs 20
by Eranx Today at 11:30 am

» PEOPLE'S LEASING & FINANCE PLC
by Eranx Today at 11:29 am

» Ban of chemical fertilizers is a great news
by celtic tiger Today at 2:47 am

» "MFL" DEAL to 12 RS (multi finance plc)
by Bakka1988 Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» FUTURE of BROWNS INVESTMENT PLC (BIL)
by ONTHEMONEY Yesterday at 11:21 pm

» GLAS will be winner with Super Gain.
by Promoney Yesterday at 10:30 pm

» What happens in the market is absolutely 100% out of your control. Stock market for beginners
by Asoka Samarakone Yesterday at 9:45 pm

» Daily Foreign Transactions
by Pradeep90 Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Synergies of possible merger between Sampath Bank and PABC
by CHRONICLE™ Yesterday at 5:42 pm

» Japanese money laundering via PABC Bank raise CB eye brows
by Sstar Yesterday at 3:29 pm

» ACCESS ENGINEERING ( AEL.N )
by ADVENTUS Yesterday at 1:50 pm

» Prime Lands Residencies Limited (PLR)
by Nandun Yesterday at 10:42 am

» EXPOLANKA HOLDINGS PLC (EXPO.N0000)
by Captain Wed May 05, 2021 11:51 pm

» Growing Fear
by Wickyz Wed May 05, 2021 8:15 pm

» CONGRATULATIONS TO FINANCIAL CHRONICLE ON THIS 11TH YEAR
by CHRONICLE™ Wed May 05, 2021 3:31 pm

» HNB to merge with Seylan Bank?
by reyaz Wed May 05, 2021 11:37 am

» There are howmany funds in Sri Lanka?
by reyaz Tue May 04, 2021 4:52 pm

» Positive for BIL
by samaritan Tue May 04, 2021 3:33 pm

» The Introduction of COVID 19 Vaccine and CSE
by Mr. X Tue May 04, 2021 1:22 pm

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)


CHRONICLE™ YouTube

CHRONICLE™ NEWS PRODUCTS

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Views & Reviews, Analysis, Evaluations, Discussions, Gossip and Hot Tips relating to Sri Lankan companies listed on the Colombo Stock Exchange (CSE)
Contribute




DAILY CHRONICLE™

Latest news and articles published in Newspapers, Websites, Blogs and other online news sites relating to business and investments in Sri Lanka
Contribute



ECONOMIC CHRONICLE™

This is a section that provide news, views, analysis, predications relating to Political and Socio-Economic factors and how such activities affect the Stock Market and other economic activity of the Country.

Contribute




EXPERT CHRONICLE™

This is an exclusive section for Expert Articles which will help member to share knowledge through comments and responses of the members. All members are allowed to reply and make comments to these articles.

Contribute


Submit Post


CHRONICLE™ YouTube

Youtube Videos and other visual presentations relating Stock market and other investment advise submitted by members or other contributors.

Contribute


Submit Post


කොළඔ කොටස් වෙළඳපොළේ වංශකථාව
කොළඔ කොටස් වෙළඳපොළේ ලැයිස්තුගත සමාගම් කොටස් ගැන තොරතුරු¸විශ්ලේෂණ¸සාකච්ඡා¸ කටකතා¸රසකතා යන සියල්ල අපේම සිංහලෙන් කතා කළ හැකි ‘කතා මණ්ඩපය’

Contribute

Twitter Feeds
POPULAR COMPANIES
A

ABANS ELECTRICALS PLC

ACCESS ENGINEERING PLC Hot

ACL CABLES PLC

ACL PLASTICS PLC

ACME PRINTING & PACKAGING PLC

AGSTAR PLC

AITKEN SPENCE HOTEL HOLDINGS PLC

AITKEN SPENCE PLC

ANILANA HOTELS AND PROPERTIES PLC

ARPICO INSURANCE PLC

ASIA ASSET FINANCE PLC

ASIA CAPITAL PLC

B

BAIRAHA FARMS PLC

BALANGODA PLANTATIONS PLC

BIMPUTH FINANCE PLC

BLUE DIAMONDS JEWELLERY WORLDWIDE PLC

B P P L HOLDINGS PLC

BROWNS BEACH HOTELS PLC

BROWNS INVESTMENTS PLC

C

CARGO BOAT DEVELOPMENT COMPANY PLC

CENTRAL INDUSTRIES PLC

CEYLON COLD STORES PLC

CEYLON GRAIN ELEVATORS PLC Hot

CEYLON TEA BROKERS PLC

CEYLON TOBACCO COMPANY PLC

CHEVRON LUBRICANTS LANKA PLC

COLOMBO FORT LAND & BUILDING PLC

COMMERCIAL BANK OF CEYLON PLC

CITRUS LEISURE PLC Hot

COMMERCIAL CREDIT AND FINANCE PLC

D

DANKOTUWA PORCELAIN PLC

DFCC BANK PLC

DIALOG AXIATA PLC

DIALOG FINANCE PLC

DIPPED PRODUCTS PLC

DISTILLERIES COMPANY OF SRI LANKA PLC

DUNAMIS CAPITAL PLC

E

EAST WEST PROPERTIES PLC Hot

EASTERN MERCHANTS PLC

EXPOLANKA HOLDINGS PLC

E-CHANNELLING PLC

F

FIRST CAPITAL HOLDINGS PLC

G

GALADARI HOTELS (LANKA) PLC

GUARDIAN CAPITAL PARTNERS PLC

H

HATTON NATIONAL BANK PLC

HAYLEYS PLC

HAYLEYS FABRIC PLC

HAYLEYS FIBRE PLC Hot

HEMAS HOLDINGS PLC

HIKKADUWA BEACH RESORT PLC

HNB ASSURANCE PLC

HVA FOODS PLC

J

JANASHAKTHI INSURANCE COMPANY PLC

JOHN KEELLS HOLDINGS PLC Hot

JOHN KEELLS HOTELS PLC

L

LANKA ASHOK LEYLAND PLC

LANKA IOC PLC

LANKEM CEYLON PLC

LANKEM DEVELOPMENTS PLC

LAUGFS GAS PLC

LAUGFS POWER LIMITED

LOLC FINANCE PLC

LOLC HOLDINGS PLC

LUCKY LANKA MILK PROCESSING COMPANY PLC

M

MELSTACORP PLC

N

NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT BANK PLC

NATION LANKA FINANCE PLC

NESTLE LANKA PLC

O

ORIENT FINANCE PLC

OVERSEAS REALTY (CEYLON) PLC

P

PANASIAN POWER PLC

PEOPLE'S LEASING & FINANCE PLC

PIRAMAL GLASS CEYLON PLC

PRIME FINANCE PLC

R

RAIGAM WAYAMBA SALTERNS PLC

RENUKA AGRI FOODS PLC

RENUKA CAPITAL PLC

RENUKA HOLDINGS PLC

RICHARD PIERIS AND COMPANY PLC

RICHARD PIERIS EXPORTS PLC Hot

ROYAL CERAMICS PLC

S

SAMPATH BANK PLC

SEYLAN BANK PLC

SIERRA CABLES PLC

SINGHE HOSPITALS PLC Hot

SMB LEASING PLC

SOFTLOGIC HOLDINGS PLC

SOFTLOGIC LIFE INSURANCE PLC

SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC

SWISSTEK (CEYLON) PLC Hot

T

TEEJAY LANKA PLC

TESS AGRO PLC

THREE ACRE FARMS PLC

TOKYO CEMENT COMPANY (LANKA) PLC Hot

U

UNION BANK OF COLOMBO PLC

V

VALLIBEL FINANCE PLC

VALLIBEL ONE PLC Hot

VALLIBEL POWER ERATHNA PLC

W

WASKADUWA BEACH RESORT PLC


You are not connected. Please login or register

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ » FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ » How to Make Money In Stocks - a Winning System

How to Make Money In Stocks - a Winning System

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Padonrup

Padonrup
Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic
Guys, please refer below points which are really good when selecting stocks to buy. This was published by William J. O'Neil in his book "How to Make Money in Stocks - A Winning System in Good Times or Bad".
1. Current quarterly earnings per share; They must be up at least 20%
2. Annual earnings per share; They should show meaningful growth for the last five years.
3. Buy companies with new products, new management, or significant new changes in their industry conditions. And most important, buy stocks as they initially make new highs in price. (Forget cheap stocks; they are usually cheap for a very good reason.)
4. Supply and Demand; There should be a small or reasonable number of shares outstanding, not large capitalization, older companies. And look for volume increases when a stock begins to move up.
5. Buy market leaders, avoid laggards.
6. Institutional sponsorship; Buy stocks with at least a few institutional sponsors with better than average recent performance records.
7. The general market; It will determine whether you win or lose, so learn to interpret the daily general market indexes (price and volume changes) and action of the individual market leaders to determine the overall market's current direction.

Hope this would support you to make your buy decision.
Cheers!

Padonrup

Padonrup
Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic
Hope below tips might also help you.
According to above book, there are some common mistakes that investors make. I believe most of followings are applicable to most of us (I have done almost all of these).
- Not using good selection criteria and do not know what to look for to find a successful stock
- Habit of averaging down (when share price drops)
- Buying cheap stocks selling at low prices per share considering number of shares that can buy
-Want too much, too fast, without doing the necessary study and preparation
- Buy stocks because of dividends or low price-earnings ratios and disregarding EPS as less important
- Holding onto losses when the losses are small and reasonable without getting out cheaply
- Cash in small, easy-to-take profits and hold losers
- Can't make up mind to buy or sell
- Rely on hopes and personal opinions rather than paying attention to the opinion of the marketplace
- Getting influenced by things that are not really crucial, such as stock splits, increased dividends, news announcements, etc.
Cheers!

OneYear


Manager - Equity Analytics
Manager - Equity Analytics
@Padonrup wrote:Hope below tips might also help you.
According to above book, there are some common mistakes that investors make. I believe most of followings are applicable to most of us (I have done almost all of these).
- Not using good selection criteria and do not know what to look for to find a successful stock
- Habit of averaging down (when share price drops)
- Buying cheap stocks selling at low prices per share considering number of shares that can buy
-Want too much, too fast, without doing the necessary study and preparation
- Buy stocks because of dividends or low price-earnings ratios and disregarding EPS as less important
- Holding onto losses when the losses are small and reasonable without getting out cheaply
- Cash in small, easy-to-take profits and hold losers
- Can't make up mind to buy or sell
- Rely on hopes and personal opinions rather than paying attention to the opinion of the marketplace
- Getting influenced by things that are not really crucial, such as stock splits, increased dividends, news announcements, etc.
Cheers!

Oooops averaging down is not good??? That is one of the many lesions I learned from this Forum within last few days Question Question Question

Padonrup

Padonrup
Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic
I believe so, we may not do that when the share price is going down (because this down trend happens for a reason) and we have to stick with our cut loss policy. for some this is 5% but for me it is 7%. When the share price goes up, I'm normally averaging up, but only to a certain point (5-10% from the entry price). then take the profit (my target 20-25%) and exit.

aran

aran
Manager - Equity Analytics
Manager - Equity Analytics
@Padonrup wrote:Guys, please refer below points which are really good when selecting stocks to buy. This was published by William J. O'Neil in his book "How to Make Money in Stocks - A Winning System in Good Times or Bad".
1. Current quarterly earnings per share; They must be up at least 20%
2. Annual earnings per share; They should show meaningful growth for the last five years.
3. Buy companies with new products, new management, or significant new changes in their industry conditions. And most important, buy stocks as they initially make new highs in price. (Forget cheap stocks; they are usually cheap for a very good reason.)
4. Supply and Demand; There should be a small or reasonable number of shares outstanding, not large capitalization, older companies. And look for volume increases when a stock begins to move up.
5. Buy market leaders, avoid laggards.
6. Institutional sponsorship; Buy stocks with at least a few institutional sponsors with better than average recent performance records.
7. The general market; It will determine whether you win or lose, so learn to interpret the daily general market indexes (price and volume changes) and action of the individual market leaders to determine the overall market's current direction.

Hope this would support you to make your buy decision.
Cheers!

looks like "can slim" strategy i did read that book (how to make money in stocks) but hard to find a company that full fill all 7 factors. did u find any company if yes please name the companies Very Happy Very Happy

Padonrup

Padonrup
Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic
Spot on Aran, seems you are reading a lot. Found few companies which I believe fulfill most of the requirements (see below, had a look in to previous years earnings), but still studying. Let me know your thoughts as well.

ABANS ELECTRICALS PLC - ABAN.N0000; avg. Stock  Growth/year 22%, ROE 23.5%, Number of years reviewed 14
AGSTAR FERTILIZERS LIMITED - AGST.N0000; avg. Stock  Growth/year 33%, ROE 10.5%, Number of years reviewed 11
AITKEN SPENCE HOTEL HOLDINGS PLC - AHUN.N0000; avg. Stock  Growth/year 21%, ROE 22.1%, Number of years reviewed 15
ASIRI HOSPITAL HOLDINGS PLC - ASIR.N0000; avg. Stock  Growth/year 28%, ROE 9.1%, Number of years reviewed 10
CARGILLS (CEYLON) PLC - CARG.N0000; avg. Stock  Growth/year 49%, ROE 14.1%, Number of years reviewed 11
CARSON CUMBERBATCH PLC - CARS.N0000; avg. Stock  Growth/year 27%, ROE 13.2%, Number of years reviewed 10
CEYLINCO INSURANCE PLC - CINS.N0000; avg. Stock  Growth/year 35%, ROE 15.1%, Number of years reviewed 14
CEYLON INVESTMENT PLC - CINV.N0000; avg. Stock  Growth/year 23%, ROE 13.5%, Number of years reviewed 10
CEYLON LEATHER PRODUCTS PLC - CLPL.N0000; avg. Stock  Growth/year 26%, ROE 3.9%, Number of years reviewed 12
CEYLON TOBACCO COMPANY PLC - CTC.N0000; avg. Stock  Growth/year 40%, ROE 239.4%, Number of years reviewed 8
CIC HOLDINGS PLC - CIC.N0000; avg. Stock  Growth/year 25%, ROE 2.5%, Number of years reviewed 14
COMMERCIAL BANK OF CEYLON PLC - COMB.N0000; avg. Stock  Growth/year 21%, ROE 21%, Number of years reviewed 18
DISTILLERIES COMPANY OF SRI LANKA PLC - DIST.N0000; avg. Stock  Growth/year 30%, ROE 17.6%, Number of years reviewed 18
FIRST CAPITAL HOLDINGS PLC - CFVF.N0000; avg. Stock  Growth/year 33%, ROE 16.3%, Number of years reviewed 12
GESTETNER OF CEYLON PLC - GEST.N0000; avg. Stock  Growth/year 24%, ROE 40.9%, Number of years reviewed 14
N D B CAPITAL HOLDINGS PLC - CDIC.N0000; avg. Stock  Growth/year 27%, ROE 56.8%, Number of years reviewed 14
NATIONS TRUST - NTB.N0000; avg. Stock  Growth/year 23%, ROE 1.6%, Number of years reviewed 14
NESTLE LANKA PLC - NEST.N0000; avg. Stock  Growth/year 24%, ROE 79%, Number of years reviewed 16
ROYAL CERAMICS LANKA PLC - RCL.N0000; avg. Stock  Growth/year 25%, ROE 17.1%, Number of years reviewed 14
SAMPATH BANK PLC  - SAMP.N0000; avg. Stock  Growth/year 22%, ROE 20.5%, Number of years reviewed 14
SEYLAN BANK PLC - SEYB.N0000; avg. Stock  Growth/year 21%, ROE 10.8%, Number of years reviewed 14

Please not above are my calculations after reviewing annual reports.

aran

aran
Manager - Equity Analytics
Manager - Equity Analytics
yeah i am a serious reader and i appreciate ur hard work Very Happy

William J. O'Neil stressed on his book that a stock have to full fill all 7 can slim criteria on that way i think ur selection of stocks can slim
e.g-CARGILLS (CEYLON) PLC made loss in the last quarter (eps-0.24) and there 2014 annual eps reduce by 60% compare to 2013

piras

piras
Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics
Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics
@Padonrup wrote:Spot on Aran, seems you are reading a lot. Found few companies which I believe fulfill most of the requirements (see below, had a look in to previous years earnings), but still studying. Let me know your thoughts as well.

ABANS ELECTRICALS PLC - ABAN.N0000; avg. Stock  Growth/year 22%, ROE 23.5%, Number of years reviewed 14
AGSTAR FERTILIZERS LIMITED - AGST.N0000; avg. Stock  Growth/year 33%, ROE 10.5%, Number of years reviewed 11
AITKEN SPENCE HOTEL HOLDINGS PLC - AHUN.N0000; avg. Stock  Growth/year 21%, ROE 22.1%, Number of years reviewed 15
ASIRI HOSPITAL HOLDINGS PLC - ASIR.N0000; avg. Stock  Growth/year 28%, ROE 9.1%, Number of years reviewed 10
CARGILLS (CEYLON) PLC - CARG.N0000; avg. Stock  Growth/year 49%, ROE 14.1%, Number of years reviewed 11
CARSON CUMBERBATCH PLC - CARS.N0000; avg. Stock  Growth/year 27%, ROE 13.2%, Number of years reviewed 10
CEYLINCO INSURANCE PLC - CINS.N0000; avg. Stock  Growth/year 35%, ROE 15.1%, Number of years reviewed 14
CEYLON INVESTMENT PLC - CINV.N0000; avg. Stock  Growth/year 23%, ROE 13.5%, Number of years reviewed 10
CEYLON LEATHER PRODUCTS PLC - CLPL.N0000; avg. Stock  Growth/year 26%, ROE 3.9%, Number of years reviewed 12
CEYLON TOBACCO COMPANY PLC - CTC.N0000; avg. Stock  Growth/year 40%, ROE 239.4%, Number of years reviewed 8
CIC HOLDINGS PLC - CIC.N0000; avg. Stock  Growth/year 25%, ROE 2.5%, Number of years reviewed 14
COMMERCIAL BANK OF CEYLON PLC - COMB.N0000; avg. Stock  Growth/year 21%, ROE 21%, Number of years reviewed 18
DISTILLERIES COMPANY OF SRI LANKA PLC - DIST.N0000; avg. Stock  Growth/year 30%, ROE 17.6%, Number of years reviewed 18
FIRST CAPITAL HOLDINGS PLC - CFVF.N0000; avg. Stock  Growth/year 33%, ROE 16.3%, Number of years reviewed 12
GESTETNER OF CEYLON PLC - GEST.N0000; avg. Stock  Growth/year 24%, ROE 40.9%, Number of years reviewed 14
N D B CAPITAL HOLDINGS PLC - CDIC.N0000; avg. Stock  Growth/year 27%, ROE 56.8%, Number of years reviewed 14
NATIONS TRUST - NTB.N0000; avg. Stock  Growth/year 23%, ROE 1.6%, Number of years reviewed 14
NESTLE LANKA PLC - NEST.N0000; avg. Stock  Growth/year 24%, ROE 79%, Number of years reviewed 16
ROYAL CERAMICS LANKA PLC - RCL.N0000; avg. Stock  Growth/year 25%, ROE 17.1%, Number of years reviewed 14
SAMPATH BANK PLC  - SAMP.N0000; avg. Stock  Growth/year 22%, ROE 20.5%, Number of years reviewed 14
SEYLAN BANK PLC - SEYB.N0000; avg. Stock  Growth/year 21%, ROE 10.8%, Number of years reviewed 14

Please not above are my calculations after reviewing annual reports.

Appreciate your effort.

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum