FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» Browns becomes world’s biggest tea exporter in deal with LIPTON
by samaritan Today at 2:01 pm

» Colombo Stock Market: Over Valued against USD!
by ResearchMan Today at 12:49 pm

» COCR IN TROUBLE?
by D.G.Dayaratne Mon May 06, 2024 9:31 am

» TAFL is the most undervalued & highly potential counter in the Poultry Sector
by bkasun Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:48 pm

» EXPO.N - Expo Lanka Holdings De-Listing
by eradula Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:21 pm

» Maharaja advise - April 2024
by celtic tiger Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:01 am

» Srilanka's Access Engineering PLC think and Win
by Dasun Maduwantha Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:40 pm

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:24 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:22 am

» ‘Port City Colombo makes progress in attracting key investments’
by samaritan Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 am

» Mahaweli Reach Hotels (MRH.N)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:25 pm

» THE KANDY HOTELS COMPANY (1983) PLC (KHC.N0000)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:23 pm

» ACCESS ENGINEERING PLC (AEL) Will pass IPO Price of Rs 25 ?????
by ddrperera Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:09 pm

» LANKA CREDIT AND BUSINESS FINANCE PLC (LCBF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:40 am

» FIRST CAPITAL HOLDINGS PLC (CFVF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:38 am

» LOLC FINANCE PLC (LOFC.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:20 am

» SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC (SLTL.N0000)
by sureshot Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:37 am

» Sri Lanka confident of speedy debt resolution as positive economic reforms echoes at IMF/WB meetings
by samaritan Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:28 am

» Construction Sector Boom with Purchasing manager's indices
by rukshan1234 Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:24 pm

» Asha Securities and Asia Securities Target AEL (Access Enginnering PLC )
by Anushka Perz Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:30 pm

» Sri Lanka: China EXIM Bank Debt Moratorium to End in April 2024
by DeepFreakingValue Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:22 pm

» Uncertainty over impending elections could risk Lanka’s economic recovery: ADB
by God Father Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:47 pm

» Sri Lanka's Debt Restructuring Hits Roadblock with Bondholders
by God Father Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:42 pm

» BROWN'S INVESTMENTS SHOULD CONSIDER BUYING BITCOIN
by ADVENTUS Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:48 pm

» Bank run leading the way in 2024
by bkasun Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:21 pm

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

Disclaimer
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

The information contained in this FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ have been submitted by third parties directly without any verification by us. The information available in this forum is not researched or purported to be complete description of the subject matter referred to herein. We do not under any circumstances whatsoever guarantee the accuracy and completeness information contained herein. FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not in any way be responsible or liable for loss or damage which any person or party may sustain or incur by relying on the contents of this report and acting directly or indirectly in any manner whatsoever. Trading or investing in stocks & commodities is a high risk activity. Any action you choose to take in the markets is totally your own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental damages or loss arising out of the use of this information. The information on this website is neither an offer to sell nor solicitation to buy any of the securities mentioned herein. The writers may or may not be trading in the securities mentioned.

Further the writers and users shall not induce or attempt to induce another person to trade in securities using this platform (a) by making or publishing any statement or by making any forecast that he knows to be misleading, false or deceptive; (b) by any dishonest concealment of material facts; (c) by the reckless making or publishing, dishonestly or otherwise of any statement or forecast that is misleading, false or deceptive; or (d) by recording or storing in, or by means of, any mechanical, electronic or other device, information that he knows to be false or misleading in a material particular. Any action writers and users take in respect of (a),(b),(c) and (d) above shall be their own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental violation of securities laws of any country, damages or loss arising out of the use of this information.

AI Live Chat

You are not connected. Please login or register

Expert advise required on my portfolio

+2
Slstock
Stefan
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Expert advise required on my portfolio Empty Expert advise required on my portfolio Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:32 am

Stefan

Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

Could I have expert comments/advise on my portfolio given below. Are the shares and the entry points made good. Since the market is dropping daily, I am concerned if holding such a portfolio is advisable or in the long run when the market recovers whether my choices will prove good. Also when exiting a share, is there any target I should set such as +30% or +40% from the bought price or does this depend on the trading pattern of that particular share. I know there are lots of knowledgeable and genuine people on this forum who could give me some advise and I look forward to hearing from them -

RENU.N - 395
DIMO.N - 1595
SMLL.N - 43.60
MBSL.N - 45
SEYB.X - 39
LGL.X - 32.80
DOCK.N - 260
GRAN.N - 176
ALLI.N - 1015
REG.N - 189
FLCH.N - 4.90
RCL.N - 153

Thanks

Last edited by Quibit on Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Pls comment cannot be a tittle of topic. Please avoid use of such topics in the future.)

2Expert advise required on my portfolio Empty Re: Expert advise required on my portfolio Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:39 am

Slstock

Slstock
Director - Equity Analytics

Stefan,
What is your holding power and the period of investment you had in mind when you went for this. Your list of stock are good in my eyes with some solid shares. If you are going long term, ( like a fixed deposit) do not worry.

Short term is another story. We need observe the trend on monday also to talk more about short term market.

3Expert advise required on my portfolio Empty Re: Expert advise required on my portfolio Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:47 am

Stefan

Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

Hi Slstock, I have no urgent need of cash and generally look at a 3-6 month holding period.

4Expert advise required on my portfolio Empty Re: Expert advise required on my portfolio Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:51 am

ashlee

Manager - Equity Analytics
Manager - Equity Analytics

Apart from GRAN, I dont see much of a problem with other counters.. RCL at 153 is really good.. FLCH might do well but you will have to hold it for sometime.. DIMO is undervalued and the other stocks too have potential..

5Expert advise required on my portfolio Empty Re: Expert advise required on my portfolio Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:55 am

Stefan

Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

Hi Slstock, I would like to add that I generally like to hold for 3-6 months period, but since the market is dropping daily and with a credit clearance approaching in Sept, is it advisable to hold these shares for such a period or sell them when the price rises marginally (if it does) and enter at a lower price.
Pls advise.

6Expert advise required on my portfolio Empty Re: Expert advise required on my portfolio Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:58 am

Stefan

Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

Thanks ashlee, I value your comments.

7Expert advise required on my portfolio Empty Re: Expert advise required on my portfolio Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:04 am

mark

mark
Expert
Expert

you have good shares mate,dont be hurry and sell at losses,then finally you will lick your wounds. remember we had such gloomy days last year when market bleed until SEC halt trading,when MPI declined by 5% in a day.........now we experience a gradually declining market,so now no difference in those two occasions......
hold on until you get the chance,if market closed,dont worry,at least you will get good dividends from those companies....if you have excess money then try to collect at lower prices and average,but wait and see the trend...i dont see a big depth in upcoming days
this is my opinion
good luck

8Expert advise required on my portfolio Empty Re: Expert advise required on my portfolio Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:13 am

Stefan

Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

Thanks Mark, when I entered into these shares, I thought they were good but the prices keep dropping daily. I was wondering since the market is dropping and with credit clearance approaching in Sept, if I would do better by just selling them off and buying cheaper if the market drops further. This could be a mistake and that's why I thought of getting other expert comments.

Could you also let me know if when exiting a share, is there any target I should set such as +30% or +40% from the bought price. Sorry if this seems a stupid question, I started investing in the stock market since Jan this year and still finding my feet.

9Expert advise required on my portfolio Empty Re: Expert advise required on my portfolio Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:24 am

MoneyMaker

MoneyMaker
Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

U should hold it, as it seems like u have done some good home work prior to purchase... I would believe that 20% is a more realistic return but for everybodies sake I would want it to go beyond and above that %.
Plus ur prices don't seem to be bought at very high prices except for a few. U should try and take advantage of the down market by averaging out.
Good luck and hope the market makes a U turn.

10Expert advise required on my portfolio Empty Re: Expert advise required on my portfolio Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:24 am

Slstock

Slstock

Stefan wrote:Hi Slstock, I would like to add that I generally like to hold for 3-6 months period, but since the market is dropping daily and with a credit clearance approaching in Sept, is it advisable to hold these shares for such a period or sell them when the price rises marginally (if it does) and enter at a lower price.
Pls advise.

Stefan, 3-6 months is short term in some people book. If this is the time period you are looking at then it might be good to dispose the shares will higher losses during market runs. Rememebr the rules made by SEC can change any time as we have seen. So keep monitoring the news .

When I said long term it has to be atleast 1 year or more. I know some people who held same share for 15 years and still have no interest in selling. To some it might not make sense but these are what I call Investors. But I notice short term is a rather hot trend now at CSE . In any case it okay to trade to take some profit when you think you have gained enough

11Expert advise required on my portfolio Empty Re: Expert advise required on my portfolio Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:29 am

mark

mark
Expert
Expert

Stefan wrote:Thanks Mark, when I entered into these shares, I thought they were good but the prices keep dropping daily. I was wondering since the market is dropping and with credit clearance approaching in Sept, if I would do better by just selling them off and buying cheaper if the market drops further. This could be a mistake and that's why I thought of getting other expert comments.

Could you also let me know if when exiting a share, is there any target I should set such as +30% or +40% from the bought price. Sorry if this seems a stupid question, I started investing in the stock market since Jan this year and still finding my feet.

no mate dont try to sell now and incur losses,who knows if market gains,then you will be at loss.......
*its very hard to find a selling point,but when you reach a good profit,then sell it off.normally i exit when fundamental share hit 25%-40% gain,in speculative share i sold whenever i gain a profit,no matter its 2%-10%,i wont hold them for long......
*now dont think of buy back later,now its so risky.market may get a U turn in anytime,hope so........the time to sell off was at first half of this month,now too late,i think
hope everything would be ok,i also will enter in next week,bcoz many are at good bargain prices Very Happy

12Expert advise required on my portfolio Empty Re: Expert advise required on my portfolio Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:37 am

Stefan

Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

Thanks MoneyMaker and Slstock for your comments.

MoneyMaker, looking at the advise I have rcvd so far, it seems that holding these counters is best.

Slstock, when I started investing, my idea was to buy some good shares and hold them for years. But ever since I invested since Jan this year, the market has been crazy and I began to wonder if holding for years is the correct approach when I could easily take short term profit and buy the same shares even lower. I feel that from next year I could invest for long term but this year it is better to do some trading. Could you pls comment on this.

13Expert advise required on my portfolio Empty Re: Expert advise required on my portfolio Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:48 am

Stefan

Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

Thanks Mark, I have rcvd valuable advice and it's clear that I should hold these shares until the market returns to normal. Good luck to all and here's hoping for a normal market soon.

14Expert advise required on my portfolio Empty Re: Expert advise required on my portfolio Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:53 am

Slstock

Slstock

Stefan wrote:Thanks MoneyMaker and Slstock for your comments.

MoneyMaker, looking at the advise I have rcvd so far, it seems that holding these counters is best.

Slstock, when I started investing, my idea was to buy some good shares and hold them for years. But ever since I invested since Jan this year, the market has been crazy and I began to wonder if holding for years is the correct approach when I could easily take short term profit and buy the same shares even lower. I feel that from next year I could invest for long term but this year it is better to do some trading. Could you pls comment on this.

Stefan,
I do not see anything wrong in taking profit from time to time. Holding for ever to see prices go up and down might not make sense if you need some money in the middle. When you think a share you made enough profit you can sell. Just dont; sell your whole portfolio in panic and also note there are instances I have seen when you sell undervalued shares thinking the run has finished, it take a short break and suddenly take off again before one can react. Need an exmaple : BFl went from RS 200 to Rs 290. Then with fews days it went from Rs 270 to Rs 500. I am sure others can testify this situation. I am not saying share in general will behave this way but just note that fact too when holding undervlaeud share. .

15Expert advise required on my portfolio Empty Re: Expert advise required on my portfolio Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:18 pm

Stefan

Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

Hi Slstock, very valuable advice. Thanks for sharing.

16Expert advise required on my portfolio Empty Re: Expert advise required on my portfolio Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:12 am

Chinwi

Chinwi
Associate Director - Equity Analytics
Associate Director - Equity Analytics

Stefan,

By looking at you selections, I do not think you are a novice in this.
You have behaved like an experience person by selecting good shares, avoiding useless booby traps in the scene these days , prices are not that bad.

This means you are good in this.

If you have some extra income, try to collect some more gradually during next few months.
Few NTB, RICH, MAL, ELPL ect.. at current prices will make the list more attractive.

17Expert advise required on my portfolio Empty Re: Expert advise required on my portfolio Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:23 am

Stefan

Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

Hi Chinwi
Actually this forum helped me a lot in deciding the shares to buy. I usually check the shares which are being talked about on the forum. If I see posts from at least about 4-5 experts, I then look at the quarterly and annual report of the mentioned company and if I find what is said is not just promotion, I decide to buy. I dont get any other advice even from my broker. If you look at the shares I hold, they have all been discussed on the forum.

Thanks for the stocks you have mentioned. They do seem attractive at current prices and will collect gradually.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum