FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» Sri Lanka: Stock Market Fraudsters with Criminal Prosecutions
by ChooBoy Yesterday at 5:29 pm

» Sri Lanka: Policy Challenge Addressing Poverty Vulnerability as the Economy Recovers
by ResearchMan Yesterday at 12:20 pm

» SINS - the Tailwind effects of a crisis hit Economy
by Equity Win Thu May 09, 2024 7:37 pm

» TAFL is the most undervalued & highly potential counter in the Poultry Sector
by atdeane Thu May 09, 2024 7:09 pm

» Sri Lanka: Country Information Report
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:22 pm

» Sri Lanka polls could risk economic recovery
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:12 pm

» AGSTAR PLC (AGST.N0000)
by ResearchMan Thu May 09, 2024 12:21 pm

» Browns becomes world’s biggest tea exporter in deal with LIPTON
by sureshot Wed May 08, 2024 9:51 pm

» Colombo Stock Market: Over Valued against USD!
by ResearchMan Wed May 08, 2024 12:49 pm

» COCR IN TROUBLE?
by D.G.Dayaratne Mon May 06, 2024 9:31 am

» EXPO.N - Expo Lanka Holdings De-Listing
by eradula Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:21 pm

» Maharaja advise - April 2024
by celtic tiger Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:01 am

» Srilanka's Access Engineering PLC think and Win
by Dasun Maduwantha Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:40 pm

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:24 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:22 am

» ‘Port City Colombo makes progress in attracting key investments’
by samaritan Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 am

» Mahaweli Reach Hotels (MRH.N)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:25 pm

» THE KANDY HOTELS COMPANY (1983) PLC (KHC.N0000)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:23 pm

» ACCESS ENGINEERING PLC (AEL) Will pass IPO Price of Rs 25 ?????
by ddrperera Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:09 pm

» LANKA CREDIT AND BUSINESS FINANCE PLC (LCBF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:40 am

» FIRST CAPITAL HOLDINGS PLC (CFVF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:38 am

» LOLC FINANCE PLC (LOFC.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:20 am

» SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC (SLTL.N0000)
by sureshot Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:37 am

» Sri Lanka confident of speedy debt resolution as positive economic reforms echoes at IMF/WB meetings
by samaritan Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:28 am

» Construction Sector Boom with Purchasing manager's indices
by rukshan1234 Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:24 pm

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

You are not connected. Please login or register

My biggest Weakness - selling too early

+16
a_randy
Rocky
udeni
Chinwi
RDS
MarketResearch
ha_na
Gaja
kiwi
FXX
Aamiable
san1985
UKboy
ashlee
wallstreetguy
hunter
20 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1My biggest Weakness - selling too early Empty My biggest Weakness - selling too early Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:11 am

hunter

hunter

I have a big weakness that I sell shares too early.
Mostly my shares are sold just before that steep hike comes. I've been trying may ways but no satisfied results yet.

Do you guys have the same problem ? How would you overcome this ?

wallstreetguy

Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

you are not alone Smile

ashlee

Manager - Equity Analytics

All of us experience it.. Sometimes we think 'Damn, why did I sell it?' when we see the share going up after we sell.. But if you manage to sell a share before it dips, the feeling is totally contrastive to the former.. What we need to learn is that we can not determine the exact exit point or the entry point of a share... Buying or selling in small quantities can be a solution depending on the market condition..

UKboy

UKboy
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics

hunter wrote:I have a big weakness that I sell shares too early.
Mostly my shares are sold just before that steep hike comes. I've been trying may ways but no satisfied results yet.

no one in this world can constantly sell shares right at top. As long as you get what you needed from a counter, you should just sell and temporarily forget it.

san1985

san1985

Same with me buddy....

Exactly the same problem...

Had a big chunk of PAP at 3.80s..Sold at 4.2 just before big bull run..

This is only the most recent one to mention, had so many scenarios like that..

Aamiable

Vice President - Equity Analytics
Vice President - Equity Analytics

anyway it is too early, still they are red in PF... having passed previous levels and when they start declining for the second time ....

FXX

FXX

same here :S sold TAFL for 120

kiwi

kiwi
Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

The best way I have to avoid regrets is to decide what my profit expectation is and how long I plan to hold the shares, before I buy them. I also decide what is the maximum loss I am prepared to take on them. That way both by stop loss number and exit is decided before I start. That takes away the emotion of both hope and despair out of the equation. Its a bit like a robotic approach, but it certainly eliminates feeling of "I sold too early" or "I am holding on to a falling rock". This is for those shares that I buy to trade over a 3 to 12 month time frame.

Gaja

Associate Director - Equity Analytics

UKboy wrote:

no one in this world can constantly sell shares right at top. As long as you get what you needed from a counter, you should just sell and temporarily forget it.

I agree with you, i always used to buy with the predetermine exist price ( expected returns or maximum loss ), once it touched i execute the transactions and never worry about after that, because of you think about it then you can't concentrate on others. I bought 1,000 CDIC at 165/= with the intention of getting 225/= with in a year, and with in 6 moths it touched 225/= and disposed and with in 2 weeks after that it even touched 707/=

10My biggest Weakness - selling too early Empty Re: My biggest Weakness - selling too early Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:48 pm

ha_na

I'll tell you a secret if you follow,

always have a profit target. If that fulfilled that's all. You have to know what you are expecting from the market BEFORE enter in to it. If that target fulfilled you have to be happy go to another trade. you know your salary end of the month like that you have to know your target at end of the month. Even today I don't have massive profit but my target covered even on dose gloomy month. professionals are people who consistently profiting from the market unlike armature who jump into runaway move and wash away from it.

i think most will burn there fingers in coming days. How comes such a massive market surge sustain after immediately after sever depression.

MarketResearch

MarketResearch
Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics

In medicine It called "Early Motion" Before get the treatment before marriage.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

hunter

hunter

Thanks everyone for your helpful comments.

'UKboy', You're correct. Worrying about past won't help. As 'Gaja' says it can distract and lead to more mistakes and loose other opportunities.

'ashlee', I am also trying to buy and sell in small quantities which sometimes work.

Damn it! 'kiwi' , 'Gaja' , 'ha_na' , I always wanted to have a predetermined exit price; it's a shame I always forget it. Thanks a lot for reminding me this.

I'd like to put down my 3-tier strategy based on your valuable comments below.

1. Always have predetermined exit and stop loss range before buying.
2. Buy and sell in multiple - small quantities.
3. After selling, forget the past and start afresh.

and last but not least, 'MarketResearch', I choose your one as the worst comment. Laughing

MarketResearch

MarketResearch

hunter wrote:Thanks everyone for your helpful comments.

'UKboy', You're correct. Worrying about past won't help. As 'Gaja' says it can distract and lead to more mistakes and loose other opportunities.

'ashlee', I am also trying to buy and sell in small quantities which sometimes work.

Damn it! 'kiwi' , 'Gaja' , 'ha_na' , I always wanted to have a predetermined exit price; it's a shame I always forget it. Thanks a lot for reminding me this.

I'd like to put down my 3-tier strategy based on your valuable comments below.

1. Always have predetermined exit and stop loss range before buying.
2. Buy and sell in multiple small quantities.
3. After selling forget the past and start afresh.

and last but not least, 'MarketResearch', I choose your one as the worst comment. Laughing

Hunter, It a joke. Very Happy
Machan, I believe that you have had bad experience keeping the stocks without selling at the peak.Therefore you always try to sell them out at a small margin of profit.
It is not a weakness but you must identify the exit point.At the present market condition even expert can not identify the correct exit point.My strategy is buy in middle and sell them middle.We can not buy at the bottom and sell them at the peak.(Medin Gahala Medin Paninna)

RDS

RDS

If u have insider information or if u are the main manipulator of these shares, you can get exact entry & exit point. it also depend on market behavior.
Ex:
GRAN/TAFL 80~146 = 66 82% price gain.
Who the hell not satisfy with that kind of profit.
don't worry if u have sold around 120 levels, its massive profit.

Do not continuously monitor share trading, more mistake you do while watching that, you can't control yr feelings.
better to have prior plan & don't do any other thing what happened in trading session.

Chinwi

Chinwi

Hunter,

I do not know "exit point' method. ( I m not telling it is wrong)
With the experience, you will develop 6th sense. What I am explaining is is somewhat similar to Exit Point. It has no pre-determined price but have a pre-determined value.

When you buy a share - in considerable quantities - you have to have confidence about its value. Not the market value, but the real value as the owner of that company.

For that, you have to know its inside information !
Not by illegal means but by studying its business, competitors and going through the financial reports. You buy the share because you found it is worth due to its current activities and future potential. You can have rough idea about its future earnings for next few qtrs. and general understanding about the future pricing possibilities.

Then even it goes up or down in day to day trading you do not get much influence (to trigger selling/buying) until it reach towards the valuation in your mind or in your subconscious mind.

I may give you an example.
CFVF was trading around 9/- in 2009. When I went through its report I saw they have heavily invested in TBs at high return rate prevailed at that time 20% . Then it was easy to get an idea about near future earnings. No much buying , I decided to collect it , gradually.

Suddenly in few weeks it rose to 20 - 23. people were selling in huge quantities. With over 100% gain, now you should get the profit. Instead of selling I was buying @ even 23/-. After 3-4 months it reached 60 -70 . Then I started selling. Because that was its real value formed in my mind. If I did not know the real value by studying the business I wd'hv loss millions of profit I got. Weeks after selling, one of my friends teased me that a name similar to mine was in the 20 holders list in their last qtr report. Smile . I didn't tell anyone, that was me!.

Note: 1. CFVF made a split 1 to 3 thereafter.
2. having said all above , I should say it is really difficult to decide anything in the current market.
3. when I buy few number of shares I do not care much about these valuations.
4. Now we can think about the people who dumped some gems like gadol keta last few days.

udeni

udeni

We always remember when we have sold too early but we hardly remember or think how lucky we were when we have sold before a dip.

Rocky

Rocky

Chinwi wrote:Hunter,

Note: 1. CFVF made a split 1 to 3 thereafter.
2. having said all above , I should say it is really difficult to decide anything in the current market.
3. when I buy few number of shares I do not care much about these valuations.
4. Now we can think about the people who dumped some gems like gadol keta last few days.

Agree with Chinwi all the way + he missed that not all investors have the waiting ability quality!

a_randy

a_randy

MarketResearch wrote:In medicine It called "Early Motion" Before get the treatment before marriage.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

lol!

econ

econ
Global Moderator

I do not think anyone can 100% identify the so called exit point. even if you exit in one share you might stuck with other share. so it is very difficult

Rocky

Rocky

econ wrote:I do not think anyone can 100% identify the so called exit point. even if you exit in one share you might stuck with other share. so it is very difficult

Agree wholly, Econ. That's why so many times experienced investors on this Forum mentioned that one must have few (10-15) shares only so the exit can be less painful.

Last edited by Rocky on Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : missed a word.)

xhora

xhora

san1985 wrote:Same with me buddy....

Monawa? I did the same thing :O

san1985

san1985

xhora wrote:
san1985 wrote:Same with me buddy....

Monawa? I did the same thing :O

sorry dot com....

rijayasooriya

rijayasooriya

MarketResearch wrote:(Medin Gahala Medin Paninna)

Macho Medin gahala Udin paninna bari weida?Wink

RDS

RDS

econ wrote:I do not think anyone can 100% identify the so called exit point. even if you exit in one share you might stuck with other share. so it is very difficult

Dead right, i too had same experience, once exit it is difficult to away from buying another. sometime exit for buy another share. but it had ate the massive profit of previous share.

ShareShares

Still in the recovering mood, upward trend may go on for some time.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum