FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by ErangaDS Yesterday at 10:24 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ErangaDS Yesterday at 10:22 am

» ‘Port City Colombo makes progress in attracting key investments’
by samaritan Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 am

» Mahaweli Reach Hotels (MRH.N)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:25 pm

» THE KANDY HOTELS COMPANY (1983) PLC (KHC.N0000)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:23 pm

» ACCESS ENGINEERING PLC (AEL) Will pass IPO Price of Rs 25 ?????
by ddrperera Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:09 pm

» LANKA CREDIT AND BUSINESS FINANCE PLC (LCBF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:40 am

» FIRST CAPITAL HOLDINGS PLC (CFVF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:38 am

» LOLC FINANCE PLC (LOFC.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:20 am

» SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC (SLTL.N0000)
by sureshot Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:37 am

» COCR IN TROUBLE?
by D.G.Dayaratne Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:59 pm

» Sri Lanka confident of speedy debt resolution as positive economic reforms echoes at IMF/WB meetings
by samaritan Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:28 am

» TAFL is the most undervalued & highly potential counter in the Poultry Sector
by LAMDA Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:58 am

» Construction Sector Boom with Purchasing manager's indices
by rukshan1234 Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:24 pm

» Asha Securities and Asia Securities Target AEL (Access Enginnering PLC )
by Anushka Perz Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:30 pm

» Sri Lanka: China EXIM Bank Debt Moratorium to End in April 2024
by DeepFreakingValue Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:22 pm

» Uncertainty over impending elections could risk Lanka’s economic recovery: ADB
by God Father Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:47 pm

» Sri Lanka's Debt Restructuring Hits Roadblock with Bondholders
by God Father Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:42 pm

» BROWN'S INVESTMENTS SHOULD CONSIDER BUYING BITCOIN
by ADVENTUS Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:48 pm

» Bank run leading the way in 2024
by bkasun Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:21 pm

» ASPI: Undoing GR/Covid19!
by DeepFreakingValue Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:25 am

» Learn CSE Rules and Regulations with the help of AI Assistant
by ChatGPT Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:47 am

» Top AI tools in Sri Lanka
by ChatGPT Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:21 am

» HDFC- Best ever profit reported in 2023
by ApolloCSE Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:43 pm

» WAPO 200% UP
by LAMDA Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:41 pm

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

Disclaimer
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

The information contained in this FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ have been submitted by third parties directly without any verification by us. The information available in this forum is not researched or purported to be complete description of the subject matter referred to herein. We do not under any circumstances whatsoever guarantee the accuracy and completeness information contained herein. FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not in any way be responsible or liable for loss or damage which any person or party may sustain or incur by relying on the contents of this report and acting directly or indirectly in any manner whatsoever. Trading or investing in stocks & commodities is a high risk activity. Any action you choose to take in the markets is totally your own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental damages or loss arising out of the use of this information. The information on this website is neither an offer to sell nor solicitation to buy any of the securities mentioned herein. The writers may or may not be trading in the securities mentioned.

Further the writers and users shall not induce or attempt to induce another person to trade in securities using this platform (a) by making or publishing any statement or by making any forecast that he knows to be misleading, false or deceptive; (b) by any dishonest concealment of material facts; (c) by the reckless making or publishing, dishonestly or otherwise of any statement or forecast that is misleading, false or deceptive; or (d) by recording or storing in, or by means of, any mechanical, electronic or other device, information that he knows to be false or misleading in a material particular. Any action writers and users take in respect of (a),(b),(c) and (d) above shall be their own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental violation of securities laws of any country, damages or loss arising out of the use of this information.

AI Live Chat

You are not connected. Please login or register

Read this if your stock-market results are disappointing.

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

sriranga

Co-Admin

Published in Investing on 19 August 2011 by Kevin Godbold

I'm reading a great book that is making me think about how I've been managing my share portfolio, even after several years of stock-market investing.
It's called "Selecting Shares That Perform" and was written by Richard Koch and Leo Gough, one a successful investor and the other a prolific author of financial and investment books.
Some of their rules for portfolio management challenge my previously held views, but I think they make sense. The following list starts with the rules that are rocking me the most:
1. Never 'average down' when the price is falling
They must be joking, right. Never average down; surely that flies in the face of conventional wisdom. Heck, I've averaged down on my investments loads of times, when they've moved against me.
But here's the thing -- although times of general market weakness may be a good time for bargain hunting, maybe there's a rational argument for not averaging down when an individual investment tanks. What we are talking about here are shares that fall despite being part of a rising index or portfolio. After all, we buy shares in companies because our analysis leads us to think that they will go up. If they go down, we were wrong, plain and simple.
Averaging down means we think a share is about to turn around and go up again, right? Well that's a tough call to make and one that's easy to get wrong. If you don't believe me, look at shares such as Royal Bank of Scotland (LSE: RBS), Lloyds Banking (LSE: LLOY) and Taylor Wimpey (LSE: TW), all popular 'value' favourites around 2007. Look at the share prices of these companies now and think of those investors that averaged down into the share-price destruction.
To me, it seems wise either to maintain our original weightings in such bad performing investments, or even to consider using the next rule:
2. Never be afraid to sell at a loss
Instead of averaging down, why not axe a falling share? I mean, it's doing the exact opposite to what it was 'supposed' to do, so why not just cut and run after a predetermined decline? The book I'm reading suggests 7-10%.
I wish I'd done that much more often. Shares such as Trinity Mirror (LSE: TNI), Dixons (LSE: DXNS) and HMV (LSE: HMV) could have been prevented from causing so much private-investor carnage if those punters had simply sold on share-price weakness.
3. Balance patience and prudence
Whether we fall into the 'long-term buy and hold' camp or the 'it's never wrong to take a profit' camp, it's a good idea to seek a balance between the two philosophies.
How patient should we be? If we are holding a share for years, and nothing happens, maybe it would be more prudent to sell and move on to other opportunities. Similarly, if a share rockets very quickly, maybe it's prudent to pocket some of those gains. My own rule-of-thumb is 'the faster the gain, the faster the sale.'
Generally, I think it's wise to be flexible and not become too entrenched in either philosophy.
4 Do not over-diversify your portfolio
Traditionally, a diversified portfolio of shares is seen as a defence against individual company risk, but too many shares in a portfolio can actually increase risk.
With too many shares, it's hard to know the underlying companies that well. There is a risk that the quality of your choices might decline and, with so many holdings, you could end up chucking in a few speculative punts with hardly any thought.
With greater focus on just a few shares, it's more likely that we will be on the ball when it comes to buying and selling. The book suggests that between five and ten shares is adequate for most investors.
5. Do not invest heavily when everyone else is
You've probably heard the adage: "When they are crying, it's time for buying; when they are yelling, it's time for selling."
In other words, when everyone has gone share crazy, there's a good chance that markets may be close to a cyclical high -- often a disastrous time to buy most shares.
Conversely, when markets have plummeted and shares are very unpopular due to recent investor losses, it is usually a good time to pick up cheap shares on depressed valuations.
6. Only invest if you are confident in the company's prospects
The book cautions: "Investing in the stock market is not like picking a winner at Aintree", and we can only be confident in a company's prospects if we have researched and analysed it thoroughly.
If we invest in speculative companies with no profits, but with great 'potential,' it is usually very similar to betting on the horses with an unpredictable outcome. On the other hand, finding attractively valued, profit-making businesses with good growth prospects can help us to achieve results that are more predictable.
Bottom Line
To me, these are sensible rules and I'm looking forward particularly to applying the first two more with my own share portfolio.
www.fool.co.uk

Last edited by sriranga on Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://sharemarket-srilanka.blogspot.co.uk/
Share this post on: reddit

Thanks very useful post.

Excellent post mate! Thanks a lot for the share!!!!

Sriranga,

As an experienced person like U, sharing valuable ideas, is a asset to this forum.Tks.

Appriciate your knowledge sharing...

~ Gee Thanks a lot yes I too did that averaging mistake. We should average only at the right time otherwise it will end up with extra loss. If we cut off at the losing point by exiting, it will be less harmful than when U exit at a loss after averaging.

Thanks a lot for the valuable advice. For me I'm learning the lessons through the experience and valuable posts like this. but there may be few that does the same mistake again. I invite them to read these valuable posts and turn the losses into profits. ~

Really usefull post!Very Happy
Thanx bro.

whats wrong with averaging down a blue chip which is down with the index ( beta 1) ?

hirankb wrote:whats wrong with averaging down a blue chip which is down with the index ( beta 1) ?

I prefer to average by the following way, please read this link.
http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t6611-averaging-the-buy-price-to-minimize-risk-a-common-mistake-of-stock-traders#77319

rijayasooriya

Post Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:40 pm by rijayasooriya

hirankb wrote:whats wrong with averaging down a blue chip which is down with the index ( beta 1) ?
What I am going to tell below is easy to tell but difficult to follow.
Averaging,cutting losses and just holding are different strategies and all will work depend upon the condition or situation.Therefore u have to select the suitable stratergy for the current situation.

Mr Sriranga, You hit the nail of the head..... what the hell have I being thinking ...... this is a text book answer that almost everyone mis interpret.. Thanks for head slap.

by the way I see a head and shoulder top reversal pattern developed in ASI. Am i correct...?

Awesome... Thanks man....

Kinm hunter

Post Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:04 pm by Kinm hunter

Grate ...

Cheers.....

Post Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:52 am by snowball5

Thanks for sharing with us.

Timely reminder.
On of the very good one shared by you.
Keep it up.

Post Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:08 pm by Light of Hope

why didn't I read these things all this time

bakapandithaya

Post Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:17 pm by bakapandithaya

Thnkx sri 4 shring

K.Haputantri

Post Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:31 pm by K.Haputantri

Thanks Shri. Good one.

Again one of the best article shared by you.
I wonder how you are spending much time on reading?
Anyway thanks a lot.

hirankb wrote:Mr Sriranga, You hit the nail of the head..... what the hell have I being thinking ...... this is a text book answer that almost everyone mis interpret.. Thanks for head slap.

by the way I see a head and shoulder top reversal pattern developed in ASI. Am i correct...?

I agree with you.
Good one to share.
We readers need to read the following website,www.fool.co.uk-where sriranga is getting more info and sharing with us.

Post Tue May 07, 2013 10:22 pm by madhawa.h

You've probably heard the adage: "When they are crying, it's time for buying; when they are yelling, it's time for selling."
In other words, when everyone has gone share crazy, there's a good chance that markets may be close to a cyclical high -- often a disastrous time to buy most shares.
Conversely, when markets have plummeted and shares are very unpopular due to recent investor losses, it is usually a good time to pick up cheap shares on depressed valuations.

Hiks. This is what none of the ppl do. bt a best practice. Smile we all do the other way around. Smile

Averaging works if the share is very liquid or a value share or both. SAMP dropped from 300 to 148 in two years back at 230. The drop was not because there was anything wrong with SAMP, so if it was good to buy at 280 why was is it not good to buy at a 50% discount? Unless one has run out of money, and buying on credit, averaging will not work.

Read this if your stock-market results are disappointing.
Post by sriranga on Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:39 pm
First topic message reminder :

This is how I get it........... Thx SRI!

When they go down....... sell and catch from bottom

Instead of averaging down...... sell and catch it from bottom... so we can save or limit the invested amount for the same quantity..

Slow moving shares - better to sell and move on to other opportunities.
Fast moving shares - pocket some of those gains

Portfolio - better to have between five and ten shares

"When they are crying, it's time for buying; when they are yelling, it's time for selling."

Research and analyses your preferred companies thoroughly.
Speculative companies with no profits, but with great 'potential,'
Attractively valued, profit-making, good growth prospects - predictable result.

www.fool.co.uk

Thank you SRIRANGA.....!!! this is good input of our learning process.....!!! cheers

Last edited by KDDND on Fri May 17, 2013 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : English improvements!)

Game is different during bear and bull.

Sometime one can sell too early in a bull ;-)

Best to know your investment value, period and the market you are in.

If everyone becomes a trader there will be no CSE. Like wise the other way around for investors.

KDDND wrote:Read this if your stock-market results are disappointing.

Instead of averaging down...... sell and catch it from bottom... so we can save or limit the invested amount for the same quantity..

"When they are crying, it's time for buying; when they are yelling, it's time for selling."

www.fool.co.uk

Thank you SRIRANGA.....!!! this is good input of our learning process.....!!! cheers

slstock wrote:Game is different during bear and bull.

Sometime one can sell too early in a bull ;-)

Best to know your investment value, period and the market you are in.

If everyone becomes a trader there will be no CSE. Like wise the other way around for investors.

KDDND wrote:Read this if your stock-market results are disappointing.

www.fool.co.uk

yeah! SRI!
v can't forget this option too....
I too have few experiences of EARLY EXIT!..

Got down the train early.......!!!
what a feelings.....
but yet happy as some profit is there..... rather than a loss..
Basketball

thanks for the advice!

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum