FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» Potential Super Gain with HSIG
by Investment 1st Today at 12:20 am

» Potential Super Gain with HSIG
by Investment 1st Today at 12:18 am

» ජනාධිපතිවරණය - 2024
by ChooBoy Sat May 11, 2024 11:20 pm

» The IMF's Monumental Malpractices and future of Sri Lanka
by ChooBoy Sat May 11, 2024 11:18 pm

» Sri Lanka: Stock Market Fraudsters with Criminal Prosecutions
by ChooBoy Fri May 10, 2024 5:29 pm

» Sri Lanka: Policy Challenge Addressing Poverty Vulnerability as the Economy Recovers
by ResearchMan Fri May 10, 2024 12:20 pm

» SINS - the Tailwind effects of a crisis hit Economy
by Equity Win Thu May 09, 2024 7:37 pm

» TAFL is the most undervalued & highly potential counter in the Poultry Sector
by atdeane Thu May 09, 2024 7:09 pm

» Sri Lanka: Country Information Report
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:22 pm

» Sri Lanka polls could risk economic recovery
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:12 pm

» AGSTAR PLC (AGST.N0000)
by ResearchMan Thu May 09, 2024 12:21 pm

» Browns becomes world’s biggest tea exporter in deal with LIPTON
by sureshot Wed May 08, 2024 9:51 pm

» Colombo Stock Market: Over Valued against USD!
by ResearchMan Wed May 08, 2024 12:49 pm

» COCR IN TROUBLE?
by D.G.Dayaratne Mon May 06, 2024 9:31 am

» EXPO.N - Expo Lanka Holdings De-Listing
by eradula Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:21 pm

» Maharaja advise - April 2024
by celtic tiger Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:01 am

» Srilanka's Access Engineering PLC think and Win
by Dasun Maduwantha Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:40 pm

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:24 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:22 am

» ‘Port City Colombo makes progress in attracting key investments’
by samaritan Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 am

» Mahaweli Reach Hotels (MRH.N)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:25 pm

» THE KANDY HOTELS COMPANY (1983) PLC (KHC.N0000)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:23 pm

» ACCESS ENGINEERING PLC (AEL) Will pass IPO Price of Rs 25 ?????
by ddrperera Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:09 pm

» LANKA CREDIT AND BUSINESS FINANCE PLC (LCBF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:40 am

» FIRST CAPITAL HOLDINGS PLC (CFVF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:38 am

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

You are not connected. Please login or register

How Moving average effect your decisions.

+2
rijayasooriya
thushanthalk
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1How Moving average effect your decisions. Empty How Moving average effect your decisions. Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:25 am

thushanthalk

Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

Hi guys

This is a open discussion for all technical experts. Write here how moving average help your buying and selling decisions.
I personally use Direct FN. Most time I try to buy shares when moving average indicate buying signal together with Relative Strength Index. Yesterday I bought SFIN at 36.20- 36.40 using this technique.
Comment.....

Thanks

rijayasooriya

rijayasooriya
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics

thushanthalk wrote:Hi guys

This is a open discussion for all technical experts. Write here how moving average help your buying and selling decisions.
I personally use Direct FN. Most time I try to buy shares when moving average indicate buying signal together with Relative Strength Index. Yesterday I bought SFIN at 36.20- 36.40 using this technique.
Comment.....

Thanks

http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t9001-technical-analysishow-reliable-in-these-days?highlight=technical+analysis+how

Kithsiri

Kithsiri

rijayasooriya wrote:
Comment.....
Thanks
http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t9001-technical-analysishow-reliable-in-these-days?highlight=technical+analysis+how

Answers the Poster and many others were like to get were not available in any of the links given.
Hope some expert will satisfy us soon.

rijayasooriya

rijayasooriya

TA is based on 3 premises according to John J.Murphy.(TA of the finacial markets)

1.Market action discounts everything.This means everything that affect a share price -fundamentally,psychologically,politically etc-is actually reflected in market price.So study of price action is all that is required.

2.Prices move in trends.

3.History repeats itself.

So depend upon those 3 premises technical analytists use previous data to predict the future.Therefore those predictions may be wrong.To minimize this we can use several indicators from different catagories-moving average indicators,volume indicators,momentum indicators.Even then prediction can go wrong which is shown in my previous post.

Therefore it is better to keep entry and exit price for a share by doing some home work.Technicals can be use for timing and if carefully analysed it can be used on trends.

PS:-I am not an expert.

Last edited by rijayasooriya on Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

Kithsiri

Kithsiri

rijayasooriya wrote:TA is based on 3 premises according to John J.Murphy.
1.Market action discounts everything.This means everything that affect a share-fundamentally,psychologically,politically etc-is actually reflected in market price.So study of price action is all that is required.
2.Prices move in trends.
3.History repeats itself.
So depend upon those 3 premises technical analytists use previous data to predict the future.Therefore those predictions may be wrong.To minimize this we can use several indicators from different catagories-moving average indicators,volume indicators,momentum indicators.Even then prediction can go wrong which is shown in my previous post.
Therefore it is better to keep entry and exit price for a share by doing some home work.Technicals can be use for timing and if carefully analysed it can be used on trends.
Thanks.

dashika rebekani

Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic

http://www.swing-trade-stocks.com/

try to surf through this website you will find more

arrowms

Manager - Equity Analytics
Manager - Equity Analytics

1.Select boilinger band

2. Select Moving Avg

3.1.If the share price is above the middle line of the band and moving avg is
up, its in growing trend

3.2.If the share price is above the upper level of the band , do not do
anything but sell

3.3.If the share price is
(A) below the middle line of the band
(B)above the lower band
(C)moving avg is up, its in growing trend
(D)Then Check the company profile, financials and group companies if any Then buy.

This is what i did for last years. But i am invester not analyst.Charting is not accurate because manipulation, Broker Monopoly, Poor Management of CSE and the CSE on few HNWIs hand. These factors disturb the market patterns.

Please do not depend on charting, But its a considerable factor.

Liber Abaci

Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

Comment.....

Thanks

Seems you have made a good decision (,and hopefully a good profit.)

However , I doubt whether this decision is supported by technical indicators of SFIN. I like to share my understanding of use of moving averages and RSI , and explain.( Sorry, I don’t know how to insert the charts here)

.To use moving averages to generate buying signals,

I presume that we have to use two moving averages ( a relatively short MA and a longer MA ) and observe the crossover signals. Another suggested method is to use MA and price crossovers. However I can’t comment on these methods, since I am not relying on moving average crossovers to observe buying / selling signals. One reason is that MA crossovers produce relatively late signals, since both are two lagging indicators. I think use of MACD is much advisable, because MACD uses two moving averages as the base, and also generates several other indications ( signal line crossover, zero line cross over, positive / negative areas , convergence / divergence with price action ) for enable someone to make a confident decision.

Coming back to this particular example , SFIN, it has very short price history ( from 17 Jan 2011 ?). From the beginning, the price chart was on a downward trend even up-to 24 Aug, , and MACD was in negative territory. During this period , there are several MACD signal line cross-overs, but none resulted in a zero-line cross over. A crossover occurred only on 25-Aug, for the first time. One can make a buy decision based on this occurrence, alone. . But my understanding is, in the absence of a relevant price history / MACD cross over history, a single signal-line crossover is not sufficient to make a better judgment.

With regard to RSI ,

RSI(14) has been below 55 level from the beginning up-to 24 Aug .during this period there are three instances of oversold positions (around - 15 March, 04 May, 12 July) where RSI <30. I suppose, these are the dates one should have concentrated for a buying decision.

Let’s look at the recent price / RSI changes .
Date price (close) RSI(14)
24-Aug.......... 27.10....... 44
25-Aug......... 30.10........ 60
26-Aug......... 37.30........ 77
29-Aug......... 38.40....... 78

It is mentioned you made the buying decision on yesterday ,ie 29-Aug. It ‘s strange, and contrary to the teachings of Wells Wilder on RSI. Infact , According to him , where RSI >70 , is an indication of a top and to be considered for a selling decision. A Failure Swing above 70 and /or a Divergence between price action and RSI are very strong indications of a market turning point.

May be my interpretation is not relevant. Like to learn from others .
( If someone says ... “the entire Technical Analysis and interpretations are not relevant “...I also agree, to a certain extent)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum