FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» Sri Lanka: Stock Market Fraudsters with Criminal Prosecutions
by D.G.Dayaratne Today at 7:28 am

» hSenid Business Solutions(HBS)
by K.R Fri May 17, 2024 9:08 am

» CBSL Pension Fund vs EPF
by God Father Thu May 16, 2024 9:13 am

» EXPO.N - Expo Lanka Holdings De-Listing
by thankrishan Wed May 15, 2024 1:58 pm

» Nations Trust Bank: Consistent growth
by ErangaDS Wed May 15, 2024 8:46 am

» SOFTLOGIC LIFE INSURANCE PLC (AAIC.N0000)
by soileconomy Wed May 15, 2024 4:01 am

» Falsified accounts and financial misrepresentation at Arpico Insurance PLC (AINS)
by DeepFreakingValue Tue May 14, 2024 12:20 am

» Potential Super Gain with HSIG
by Investment 1st Mon May 13, 2024 12:20 am

» ජනාධිපතිවරණය - 2024
by ChooBoy Sat May 11, 2024 11:20 pm

» The IMF's Monumental Malpractices and future of Sri Lanka
by ChooBoy Sat May 11, 2024 11:18 pm

» Sri Lanka: Policy Challenge Addressing Poverty Vulnerability as the Economy Recovers
by ResearchMan Fri May 10, 2024 12:20 pm

» SINS - the Tailwind effects of a crisis hit Economy
by Equity Win Thu May 09, 2024 7:37 pm

» TAFL is the most undervalued & highly potential counter in the Poultry Sector
by atdeane Thu May 09, 2024 7:09 pm

» Sri Lanka: Country Information Report
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:22 pm

» Sri Lanka polls could risk economic recovery
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:12 pm

» AGSTAR PLC (AGST.N0000)
by ResearchMan Thu May 09, 2024 12:21 pm

» Browns becomes world’s biggest tea exporter in deal with LIPTON
by sureshot Wed May 08, 2024 9:51 pm

» Colombo Stock Market: Over Valued against USD!
by ResearchMan Wed May 08, 2024 12:49 pm

» COCR IN TROUBLE?
by D.G.Dayaratne Mon May 06, 2024 9:31 am

» Maharaja advise - April 2024
by celtic tiger Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:01 am

» Srilanka's Access Engineering PLC think and Win
by Dasun Maduwantha Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:40 pm

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:24 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:22 am

» ‘Port City Colombo makes progress in attracting key investments’
by samaritan Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 am

» Mahaweli Reach Hotels (MRH.N)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:25 pm

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

You are not connected. Please login or register

Buffett's 2 Rules For Bargain Hunting

+3
sawdanjema
hunter
sriranga
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Buffett's 2 Rules For Bargain Hunting Empty Buffett's 2 Rules For Bargain Hunting Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:26 pm

sriranga

sriranga
Co-Admin

How to pick up cheap shares and hold them for long-term profits.
By Tony Luckett

Several weeks ago, whilst shopping in my local supermarket, I noticed that an unusually large number of people had concentrated in a particular part of the store. It turned out that this was due to a promotional offer where goods were on sale at greatly reduced prices; so many more products were being bought than you would normally expect to be sold.
Prices in another market, the stock market, have also fallen sharply in the last couple of months. But many investors, unlike those shoppers, don't like to venture into the stock market after prices have fallen. Instead they prefer to buy only after prices have risen.
Warren Buffett has a few words to say on the subject that may change their minds.

Are shares like hamburgers?
In Berkshire Hathaway's (NYSE: BRK-B.US) 1997 annual report, Buffett suggests that investors should view share prices as if they were hamburgers. Here's the full extract:
"A short quiz: If you plan to eat hamburgers throughout your life and are not a cattle producer, should you wish for higher or lower prices for beef? Likewise, if you are going to buy a car from time to time but are not an auto manufacturer, should you prefer higher or lower car prices? These questions, of course, answer themselves.
But now for the final exam: If you expect to be a net saver during the next five years, should you hope for a higher or lower stock market during that period? Many investors get this one wrong. Even though they are going to be net buyers of stocks for many years to come, they are elated when stock prices rise and depressed when they fall. In effect, they rejoice because prices have risen for the "hamburgers" they will soon be buying. This reaction makes no sense. Only those who will be sellers of equities in the near future should be happy at seeing stocks rise. Prospective purchasers should much prefer sinking prices."

Prospective purchasers of shares should thus view falling stock markets as an opportunity. After all, you'd buy more hamburgers if their price dropped, so why not look at shares in the same way?

Contradictory thoughts
Many prospective investors discover that they can't cope with falling share prices in the same way that Buffett does. The problem is that because they already own shares they are caught between two contradictory viewpoints; they want higher prices for their existing shareholdings but would prefer to see lower prices for the shares that they want to buy.
It's very difficult to separate the two; though this can be learnt over time, particularly if you are prepared to take a long-term view and therefore don't react to every twitch of the stock market.

Fear and greed
Another of Buffett's sayings concerning falling stock markets is that you should "be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful."
In the short term, stock markets are all too often driven by fear or greed, and at the moment fear is the dominant emotion. At times like these, it's a good idea to consider Benjamin Graham's tale of Mr. Market, where he portrays the stock market as a manic-depressive individual who will occasionally offer to sell you his shares at a ridiculously low price, because he has become so pessimistic about the future.
When Mr. Market panics and drives share prices to below a reasonable level, why not take advantage of his prices rather than his wisdom?

Buy high, sell low?
Many investors won't buy shares after prices have fallen. That's because a falling share price is often a symptom of problems within the company, as well as political and economic worries and/or the result of increased competition. So even though Mr. Market routinely causes prices to overshoot on the downside, they worry that he might be right this time.
Private investors as a whole, especially in times of extreme fear and greed, tend to treat shares as if they were Veblen goods. When it comes to Veblen goods, you can throw out most of what you know about the conventional law of supply and demand; if the price of a Veblen good increases then the demand for it will also increase. Similarly when the price falls people won't buy as much and are also far more likely to sell those Veblen goods which they already own.
This is the total opposite of how consumers make their conventional purchasing decisions. No rational consumer would react to the doubling of the price of ice cream by deciding to buy five times as much as they would normally do, unless they feared that every ice cream producer was going to be shut down, which would result in a shortage.
Nor would anyone stop buying potatoes because the price had fallen by 50%, unless they felt that the price had fallen because something was wrong with this particular batch of potatoes. Yet this is exactly what many people do when it comes to the stock market; they treat shares as Veblen goods because they buy more after prices have risen and less after prices have fallen.
This is the major reason why private investors as a whole have historically tended to buy high and sell low, and why massive amounts of private investor selling are traditionally seen as a buying signal.

Bargain hunters need a strong nerve
Investors are very easily put off from buying shares after market falls because they fear that prices will continue to plunge. In times of extreme market volatility like we're currently experiencing it's very common for your new purchases to continue to fall. This comes with the territory and investors have to learn to live with it because no-one can spot the bottom of the market all of the time.
But it's when Mr. Market assumes the worst that he throws up bargains for those of us who are prepared to risk buyers' remorse and have set aside some cash for bargain hunting.

Source:Published in Investing on 26 September 2011
http://www.fool.co.uk/news/investing/2011/09/26/buffetts-2-rules-for-bargain-hunting.aspx

http://sharemarket-srilanka.blogspot.co.uk/

hunter

hunter

Good article; good reasoning.
However, at this stage, I have difficulties in comparing shares to consumables.
Because, I buy consumables to consume; shares to sell later.

But I guess for Mr. Buffet, shares (companies) are also like consumables.

After all, that explains why I have not become like Warren Buffet yet. lol!

sawdanjema

Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic

thanks

Antonym

Antonym
Vice President - Equity Analytics

sriranga wrote:Investors are very easily put off from buying shares after market falls because they fear that prices will continue to plunge. In times of extreme market volatility like we're currently experiencing it's very common for your new purchases to continue to fall. This comes with the territory and investors have to learn to live with it because no-one can spot the bottom of the market all of the time.
But it's when Mr. Market assumes the worst that he throws up bargains for those of us who are prepared to risk buyers' remorse and have set aside some cash for bargain hunting.
Here's one averaging strategy that I use:
After you have identified a good long-term share to buy, allocate a certain amount for it, say Rs 50,000. When the price seems right, buy shares for that value (For example: 1,000 shares @ Rs 50).

Thereafter, if the share price rises to Rs 62.50, sell 200 shares - so that the total value comes back to Rs 50k (800 shares @ Rs 62.50). If the price drops back to Rs 50, buy 200 more - so that the total value goes back to Rs 50k... and so on.

By following this in a disciplined way, an 'active investor' will be buying when the price is low and selling when the price is high.

sapumal

Don't waste your time to find Buffe's strategies
If Buffe know about CSE he will not write books. Simply say get away

Universalgoal

Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics
Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics

i have found my own way (investing) and tools when ever i break it, sadly loosing day by day so i decided to stick with my plan, if someone like to know drop me a mail Basketball

7Buffett's 2 Rules For Bargain Hunting Empty Re: Buffett's 2 Rules For Bargain Hunting Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:36 pm

windi5

windi5

Universalgoal wrote:i have found my own way (investing) and tools when ever i break it, sadly loosing day by day so i decided to stick with my plan, if someone like to know drop me a mail Basketball

Why dont you share it in the forum?. I love you

Antonym

Antonym

"...In the long run, the scoreboard for investment decisions is market price. But prices will be determined by future earnings. In investing, just as in baseball, to put runs on the scoreboard one must watch the playing field, not the scoreboard." - Warren Buffett

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum