FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» EXPO.N - Expo Lanka Holdings De-Listing
by glad Today at 9:27 am

» Sri Lanka: Stock Market Fraudsters with Criminal Prosecutions
by D.G.Dayaratne Yesterday at 7:28 am

» hSenid Business Solutions(HBS)
by K.R Fri May 17, 2024 9:08 am

» CBSL Pension Fund vs EPF
by God Father Thu May 16, 2024 9:13 am

» Nations Trust Bank: Consistent growth
by ErangaDS Wed May 15, 2024 8:46 am

» SOFTLOGIC LIFE INSURANCE PLC (AAIC.N0000)
by soileconomy Wed May 15, 2024 4:01 am

» Falsified accounts and financial misrepresentation at Arpico Insurance PLC (AINS)
by DeepFreakingValue Tue May 14, 2024 12:20 am

» Potential Super Gain with HSIG
by Investment 1st Mon May 13, 2024 12:20 am

» ජනාධිපතිවරණය - 2024
by ChooBoy Sat May 11, 2024 11:20 pm

» The IMF's Monumental Malpractices and future of Sri Lanka
by ChooBoy Sat May 11, 2024 11:18 pm

» Sri Lanka: Policy Challenge Addressing Poverty Vulnerability as the Economy Recovers
by ResearchMan Fri May 10, 2024 12:20 pm

» SINS - the Tailwind effects of a crisis hit Economy
by Equity Win Thu May 09, 2024 7:37 pm

» TAFL is the most undervalued & highly potential counter in the Poultry Sector
by atdeane Thu May 09, 2024 7:09 pm

» Sri Lanka: Country Information Report
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:22 pm

» Sri Lanka polls could risk economic recovery
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:12 pm

» AGSTAR PLC (AGST.N0000)
by ResearchMan Thu May 09, 2024 12:21 pm

» Browns becomes world’s biggest tea exporter in deal with LIPTON
by sureshot Wed May 08, 2024 9:51 pm

» Colombo Stock Market: Over Valued against USD!
by ResearchMan Wed May 08, 2024 12:49 pm

» COCR IN TROUBLE?
by D.G.Dayaratne Mon May 06, 2024 9:31 am

» Maharaja advise - April 2024
by celtic tiger Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:01 am

» Srilanka's Access Engineering PLC think and Win
by Dasun Maduwantha Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:40 pm

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:24 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:22 am

» ‘Port City Colombo makes progress in attracting key investments’
by samaritan Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 am

» Mahaweli Reach Hotels (MRH.N)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:25 pm

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

You are not connected. Please login or register

Towards 70% loss

+20
rijayasooriya
Roboticfx
greedy007
nuwanw
Kukula
ruc
Kumar
csehistorian
twimalasuriya
Slstock
TuskerLK
prasa2004
mithila abeysekera
Redbulls
girihell
sapumal
laxman917576
karu
rmark
NewInvestor
24 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Towards 70% loss - Page 2 Empty Re: Towards 70% loss Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:55 pm

Kukula

Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic

20 million. It's 60 percent.

27Towards 70% loss - Page 2 Empty Re: Towards 70% loss Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:00 pm

Kukula

Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic

Mata Mage kukulath ne. Kukulage thatuth ne.good buy cse.I exited today.

28Towards 70% loss - Page 2 Empty Re: Towards 70% loss Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:20 pm

csehistorian

Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic

slstock wrote:
Kumar wrote:

So many duplicated identity accounts in the forum.

Yes Kumar, at some point we need to check these using methods to identify accounts originating from the same source Wink

Suddenly these account keep mushrooming and attacking people left and right without even going through previous posts and understanding that different people have different strategies.
These people were no where when the forum needed them. They should have come when ASi was 7500 and and made bold statement like " Please sell you shares now. It not too late. ASi will hit 4500 for sure. I gurantee" . I can only recall handful of such people whom I respect.

Now these people talk as if they knew ahead of time the drastic actions of policy makers to impact this shor term crisis.

People now are not talking about Share valuations and Investment but Trading on short term trends.

Personal attacks? insults? I have done neither. I just pointed out that the experts don't know as much as they think they do, and that your strategy doesn't work. You are angry because truth hurts.

How can buying high seeing the price drop 50% and then waiting for the price to go back up 200% work on a consistent basis? When you bought at the top of the early 2000s bull run and held through the bear phase it might have worked for you on that occasion, but that's a one of thing made possible by the end of the war. Those who bought at the top of the recent bull run will not be so lucky.

Judging by your anger, I can see that you are one of those who did buy at the top.

29Towards 70% loss - Page 2 Empty Re: Towards 70% loss Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:45 pm

nuwanw

Stock Trader

Kukula wrote:20 million. It's 60 percent.

same here

30Towards 70% loss - Page 2 Empty Re: Towards 70% loss Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:49 pm

greedy007

Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

As I mentioned in another post csehistorian is a person previously posted so many threads in this forum.
Now in new mask.
Everyone want to show others that they predict that and this.
If in that case all of us are like Soros or Warran Buffet or peter Lynch.
As slstock said everyone need to keep their own stratergy and the stratergy need not to be rigid.
2010 predicted won't work in 2011 because of so many factors.
Even if your stratergy won't work if the market rise steeply in few days.
So basically throwing mud here and there, better to be calm and educate others if you can or otherwise stay away from the forum( which I cannot say easily).

31Towards 70% loss - Page 2 Empty Re: Towards 70% loss Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:57 pm

Roboticfx

Roboticfx
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics

Hello csehistrion,

You must 'RESPECT' other opinions before put your opinion by attacking other's. You may like to have losses but most of us don't like it without facing complex situations such as credit clearance. You seems to be a panic seller as well. It's ok. I don't tell you drastically change your usual behavior because it does not affect me. You must respect moderators and admins than others because they are the real drivers of this forum. They do a hard job everyday to keep this forum clean and well organized. You don't know who is the real person behind slstock and you never talk like that if you have known that. Without knowing these things, don't blame others just arrived here newly. I have noticed you try to renew old posts which don't have important information and not suitable for the time but arguments again and again. "Parana kunu awaussana eka oyata hodhata prudui wage!". And you should remember, any of our moderator or member has not claim themselves as experts. You have understood it incorrectly.
If you don't stop this bad habits, our moderators will ban you soon. It's not a difficult job.

32Towards 70% loss - Page 2 Empty Re: Towards 70% loss Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:05 pm

rijayasooriya

rijayasooriya

csehistorian wrote:
slstock wrote:
Kumar wrote:

Yes Kumar, at some point we need to check these using methods to identify accounts originating from the same source Wink

Suddenly these account keep mushrooming and attacking people left and right without even going through previous posts and understanding that different people have different strategies.
These people were no where when the forum needed them. They should have come when ASi was 7500 and and made bold statement like " Please sell you shares now. It not too late. ASi will hit 4500 for sure. I gurantee" . I can only recall handful of such people whom I respect.

Now these people talk as if they knew ahead of time the drastic actions of policy makers to impact this shor term crisis.

People now are not talking about Share valuations and Investment but Trading on short term trends.

Personal attacks? insults? I have done neither. I just pointed out that the experts don't know as much as they think they do, and that your strategy doesn't work. You are angry because truth hurts.

How can buying high seeing the price drop 50% and then waiting for the price to go back up 200% work on a consistent basis? When you bought at the top of the early 2000s bull run and held through the bear phase it might have worked for you on that occasion, but that's a one of thing made possible by the end of the war. Those who bought at the top of the recent bull run will not be so lucky.

Judging by your anger, I can see that you are one of those who did buy at the top.

Just see this guys know it all attitude.He knows other's portfolios better than the owner.

http://forum.srilankaequity.com/t15253-where-is-going-cse

33Towards 70% loss - Page 2 Empty Re: Towards 70% loss Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:18 am

Slstock

Slstock
Director - Equity Analytics

csehistorian wrote:

1) Please note the strategies between short term , medium term and long
term holding can be different. What you are implying about is staying in market every day and monitoring your
stocks to find prime enter and exit point. There are people who has held the same share for many years and
ignored short term volatility. But the value is now several times than they bought it initially. These short term trends are not such a worry for them. I am not talking about optimizing. They used that time for their other work
as most of us are not full time traders.

If you do not know what I am talking about , we had a lengthy discussions on with with may members/investors contributing with facts and figures. Do a search in the forum and read to satisfy yourself. Then we will discuss. If you blindly make statements to say your way is correct and is the only way .. I have nothing more to tell you anymore.

Also the strategy you use I also have short term and medium term shares. with success.

2) Please note , you do not have the right to critize any one else strategy and tell that it does not work. You also do not know their portfolio. If your strategy works for you, for long term as well as short term. Great. Use it. No one is stopping you. But you do not have the right to condemn what and when I buy and my strategy . It is my money , it is my portfolio and what I buy is my responsibility and no yours.

3) After some comments by others and my own interest, I checked what you have contributed to this forum within Since Jan 24th when you joined. I see you have attacked and several members the same way.

I reiterate :
You are welcome to share your opinion.
You are welcome to converse and counter argue in decent way.
But you are not welcome to criticize unjustifiably , show superiority and condemn others who has been here serving forum longer than you. They have many people.

Please keep your focus on your comments and any general comments as a whole. Do not try to go on a personal venegenace to attack people because they are different to your thoughts. Nobody forces anybody. You buy you sell.
Where were you before with these sentiments at market peak? WOuld have helped if you came and said "I am sure ASi will hit xxx sell sell sell now else you will lose big time in short to medium term"

I do not mind this conversation we had ( though I think it will be time waste as it will not change you or me) but if I find you disrespectful to other members again I WILL BAN YOU . I have not banned anybody so far and I don't want to.

Please be decent and kind enough to understand what I am saying. Suddenly in the forum during the worser period of the downtrend there are people who make overnight accounts just to attack other member.But not help them in anyway to find a resolution or give genuine advice in time of difficulty As you your self said it too late to sell now . Mainly if one is concerned about loosing on short term. Why and where are these people coming from and why now Wink

At some point market is going to turn. Then we will find all these negative attacks going away and new pundits emerging.

34Towards 70% loss - Page 2 Empty Re: Towards 70% loss Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:27 am

NewInvestor

NewInvestor
Manager - Equity Analytics

csehistorian wrote:
Kumar wrote:
slstock wrote:
csehistorian wrote:
slstock wrote:
prasa2004 wrote:50% LOSS.

Being a BUY-HOLD guy i get hammered left and right. I doubt W.Buffet priciples has any meaning in CSE

Depends on what you bought. YOur 50% loss sometime can turn to a 50% profit during a bull trend.

typical of the advice give on the forum.
For your 50% loss to become 50% profit the share price has to go up by 200% Let me illustrate with an example.

You buy a share at Rs 100

one week later the price drops to Rs 95 you decide to be a hero and practice buy and hold instead of cutting your loss.

A few months later the share drops to Rs 50 you now have a 50% loss.

The market reverses direction and shoots upwards. Your dud share shoots up 100% doubles in value and goes back to Rs 100 but you are still losing Rs 2 per share when you pay brokerage.

To get a 50% gain the share has to go up another 50% to Rs 150. Which is Rs 100 above the current price which is 200% above the previous close.

OTH, one who sold at even Rs 90, can now buy 180 shares for each 100 shares sold and only needs circa 60% rise for a nett profit of 50%

THIS IS NOT AN ADVICE TO SELL YOUR SHARES. It's far too late for that.

It is not my problem you do not understand short term trends vs longer term investment goals.
Forum is full of such people like you who talk short term and not investments with patience.

Rememebr good company earnign keep growing. A Rs 100 share, now can drop to Rs 50 in panic but in few years time with growth it can be valued at Rs 200 or Rs 300. With time and earnigns value will be more. Once your pre- calculated target after study of earnings , growth with investment period is reached you can dispose.

Here you are talking about selling shares every time it has a small run. That is short to medium term trading.

We have discussed about Investing so many times over in the forum. Do a search and see.

You make account on Jan 24th and suddently start attacking people left and right. Within the last few weeks we see such people mushrooming. Where were you with all these advices before this panic?

If you talking short term stratergy is different. A good investor has long term. short term and medium terms shares in the portfolio.

What makes you think I am advocating a short term strategy? I am actually advocating a very long term strategy.

You sell at the market top and stay out till the bottom is formed. That means being out of the market for an year or two earnings slow and steady income from FDs while the punters lose a little bit every day.

No what I am talking about in the previous post has nothing to do with short term or long term. I am talking about 'STOP LOSS' there. it's astonishing that a global moderator doesn't even know what that is.

You criticize others based on the past. Plus you didn't come up and say now 'ASI at peak sell now' or 'stop loss now coz it'll going further down'. Appreciate If you could do it in future and show you should respected.

35Towards 70% loss - Page 2 Empty Re: Towards 70% loss Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:31 am

chanvi

Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic

my PF is bloody red even i dont look at that

36Towards 70% loss - Page 2 Empty Re: Towards 70% loss Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:32 am

NewInvestor

NewInvestor

Kukula wrote:20 million. It's 60 percent.

Damn Neutral

37Towards 70% loss - Page 2 Empty Re: Towards 70% loss Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:23 pm

smallville

smallville
Associate Director - Equity Analytics

csehistorian wrote:
slstock wrote:
Kumar wrote:

Judging by your character u looked like an investment adviser who came in the form of a talking frog..

OK we have to believe u.. Stock markets dont go up.. its either down trend or sideways.. In 2-3 years time we only see abt 10% growth so we cant convert even a 50% loss into break even level.

Ok dude we get it.. Dont try hard Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

38Towards 70% loss - Page 2 Empty Re: Towards 70% loss Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:27 pm

Market Sucker

Market Sucker

i think we have to cut losses if the downturn starts,its obvious that slide of a share cant be stopped by lower PE or Excellent financial,we cant guarantee that a share can reach its previous heights again.

so the best thing is cut losses and buy back later regardless of PE or anything,it will make double or triple returns than holding and anticipating until a share reach your buy price..

you guys may thinking that share you bought can reach your bought price someday,but if it ddnt?

REMEMBER WE DONT HAVE A WAR NOW...HOLDERS MAY BE SUCKERS FOREVER..

Ok,i sold my all NDB and DFCC at heavy losses after holding many months Sad but from that money i bought ----,it appreciated more than 40% now,but it isnt a fundamental share,but it recover part of my losses.
see today NDB and DFCC,not appreciated at all,so why the hell use if i hold them?still those shares ddnt came even to my sold prices Mad

So im with CSE HISTORIAN in this case....but im respect good educated SLSTCOK also Smile

anyone with me?
tnx Smile

39Towards 70% loss - Page 2 Empty Re: Towards 70% loss Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:26 am

smallville

smallville

Market Sucker wrote:
Ok,i sold my all NDB and DFCC at heavy losses after holding many months Sad but from that money i bought ----,it appreciated more than 40% now,but it isnt a fundamental share,but it recover part of my losses.
see today NDB and DFCC,not appreciated at all,so why the hell use if i hold them?still those shares ddnt came even to my sold prices Mad

So im with CSE HISTORIAN in this case....but im respect good educated SLSTCOK also Smile

anyone with me?
tnx Smile

The inevitable happeend due to some ppl wanted to make the CSE a casino market.. What u meant was u bought speculatives and it recovered ur losses..
There're strategies that work for some which wont work for others.. In your case u tool a calculated risk and won.. but what if those shares apppreciated a little after u bought and u got caught?

see we cannot always say the decision we take could be the best option.. And in a shorter period we cannot expect the fundamentally down counters to rise either.. Cuz with speculative shares there are so many ppl behind to make those go up and the poor retailers support those. Then weep at the end while making others millionairs..

40Towards 70% loss - Page 2 Empty Re: Towards 70% loss Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:08 am

Slstock

Slstock

Market Sucker wrote:i think we have to cut losses if the downturn starts,its obvious that slide of a share cant be stopped by lower PE or Excellent financial,we cant guarantee that a share can reach its previous heights again.

so the best thing is cut losses and buy back later regardless of PE or anything,it will make double or triple returns than holding and anticipating until a share reach your buy price..

you guys may thinking that share you bought can reach your bought price someday,but if it ddnt?

anyone with me?
tnx Smile

Let me put it this way,

All these concerns now is due to bear markets reign where share prices start falling day by day. So people worry, panic and try to find ways to sell ( maybe planning to buy back later). Ofcourse their predication can true in times of uncertainty. THis is short to medium term volatility. Not long term. Yes cutting losses is a strategy suitable for your Short to Medium term shares which you Trade. I do it too. Let us not confuse.

What I am saying is people do not understand the meaning of the word Long Term Investing anymore. Everyone wants to be a Trader. A good investor has short, medium and long term shares in a portfolio. So do we have to treat all share the same way?

Ok here is an example :

Say you have a child. You know your child will grow up to be a very big person one day. Maybe a multi millionaire. Maybe the child will be so successful that you might not have to work and he/she will provide for you in your old years ( wishful thinking). But now in the short term/medium term he/she goes through a few bad years. He used to get high grades at school. But now due to bad company and friends grades start dropping. Do you now disown your child during the temporary bad period so you can buy him back later? Will this strategy work.

Also if everyone is a complete trader , the top 20 list will completely change every 3 months. Will there be a market to return to if this happens. I buy from you. He sells to you. I sell to him. One fine day we all decide to sell and leave. What will happen. Who buys and holds. People are now mixing things up and the different strategies for short/medium term with long term due to bear market panic.

Once a true bull market start fundamental and value shares ( hopefully) will again start going Up day by day . If you sell you lose. Why as soon as you sell it might go up more than what you sold.

Then your Long Term share will pay you back big time. The opposite of now will happen. All these mushrooming bear market pundits will vanish then.

Summary
1) Long term , good companies will always provide consistent growth and their earning will be reflected in share price in the
long term . This is called investing. ( how long you need to hold depends on your Investment plan and patience )
2) Let us not confuse , short term with long term. It is good to cut losses for medium to short term shares. But what I
am saying is if you are a long term holder your strategies can be different. You do not panic and worry about short
term price volatility if you know you company keep growing. Maybe you do not have time to monitor everyday. Let us
not mix up short term optimal entry and exit points. Thats trading, Not investing. ( look my child example)

3) Though warrent buffet says his favorite way is to hold for ever , I do;t think anyone here try to do that. Just have an
investment plan and work on it. See what the Captains are going. Once your investment plan and their objectives are met it is okay even sell long term shares. But panicking now due to short term volatility at CSE is a captain abandoning ship in difficulty .

Let us also be Investors with calculated risks and gains. Not traders all the time. That you you can be proud to say, I held to my company through difficult times but now my company paid me back with dividends, bonus, scripts and increasing share value over long term.

41Towards 70% loss - Page 2 Empty Re: Towards 70% loss Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:28 am

sriranga

sriranga
Co-Admin

slstock wrote:
Market Sucker wrote:i think we have to cut losses if the downturn starts,its obvious that slide of a share cant be stopped by lower PE or Excellent financial,we cant guarantee that a share can reach its previous heights again.

anyone with me?
tnx Smile

Let me put it this way,

All these concerns now is due to bear markets reign where share prices start falling day by day. So people worry, panic and try to find ways to sell ( maybe planning to buy back later). Ofcourse their predication can true in times of uncertainty. THis is short to medium term volatility. Not long term. Yes cutting losses is a strategy suitable for your Short to Medium term shares which you Trade. I do it too. Let us not confuse.

What I am saying is people do not understand the meaning of the word Long Term Investing anymore. Everyone wants to be a Trader. A good investor has short, medium and long term shares in a portfolio. So do we have to treat all share the same way?

Ok here is an example :

Say you have a child. You know your child will grow up to be a very big person one day. Maybe a multi millionaire. Maybe the child will be so successful that you might not have to work and he/she will provide for you in your old years ( wishful thinking). But now in the short term/medium term he/she goes through a few bad years. He used to get high grades at school. But now due to bad company and friends grades start dropping. Do you now disown your child during the temporary bad period so you can buy him back later? Will this strategy work.

Also if everyone is a complete trader , the top 20 list will completely change every 3 months. Will there be a market to return to if this happens. I buy from you. He sells to you. I sell to him. One fine day we all decide to sell and leave. What will happen. Who buys and holds. People are now mixing things up and the different strategies for short/medium term with long term due to bear market panic.

Once a true bull market start fundamental and value shares ( hopefully) will again start going Up day by day . If you sell you lose. Why as soon as you sell it might go up more than what you sold.

Then your Long Term share will pay you back big time. The opposite of now will happen. All these mushrooming bear market pundits will vanish then.

Summary
1) Long term , good companies will always provide consistent growth and their earning will be reflected in share price in the
long term . This is called investing. ( how long you need to hold depends on your Investment plan and patience )
2) Let us not confuse , short term with long term. It is good to cut losses for medium to short term shares. But what I
am saying is if you are a long term holder your strategies can be different. You do not panic and worry about short
term price volatility if you know you company keep growing. Maybe you do not have time to monitor everyday. Let us
not mix up short term optimal entry and exit points. Thats trading, Not investing. ( look my child example)

3) Though warrent buffet says his favorite way is to hold for ever , I do;t think anyone here try to do that. Just have an
investment plan and work on it. See what the Captains are going. Once your investment plan and their objectives are met it is okay even sell long term shares. But panicking now due to short term volatility at CSE is a captain abandoning ship in difficulty .

Let us also be Investors with calculated risks and gains. Not traders all the time. That you you can be proud to say, I held to my company through difficult times but now my company paid me back with dividends, bonus, scripts and increasing share value over long term.
Well said slstock.
Most of us are messing around investor/trader strategy.
Thanks a lot.

http://sharemarket-srilanka.blogspot.co.uk/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum