FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by ErangaDS Yesterday at 10:24 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ErangaDS Yesterday at 10:22 am

» ‘Port City Colombo makes progress in attracting key investments’
by samaritan Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 am

» Mahaweli Reach Hotels (MRH.N)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:25 pm

» THE KANDY HOTELS COMPANY (1983) PLC (KHC.N0000)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:23 pm

» ACCESS ENGINEERING PLC (AEL) Will pass IPO Price of Rs 25 ?????
by ddrperera Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:09 pm

» LANKA CREDIT AND BUSINESS FINANCE PLC (LCBF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:40 am

» FIRST CAPITAL HOLDINGS PLC (CFVF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:38 am

» LOLC FINANCE PLC (LOFC.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:20 am

» SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC (SLTL.N0000)
by sureshot Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:37 am

» COCR IN TROUBLE?
by D.G.Dayaratne Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:59 pm

» Sri Lanka confident of speedy debt resolution as positive economic reforms echoes at IMF/WB meetings
by samaritan Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:28 am

» TAFL is the most undervalued & highly potential counter in the Poultry Sector
by LAMDA Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:58 am

» Construction Sector Boom with Purchasing manager's indices
by rukshan1234 Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:24 pm

» Asha Securities and Asia Securities Target AEL (Access Enginnering PLC )
by Anushka Perz Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:30 pm

» Sri Lanka: China EXIM Bank Debt Moratorium to End in April 2024
by DeepFreakingValue Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:22 pm

» Uncertainty over impending elections could risk Lanka’s economic recovery: ADB
by God Father Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:47 pm

» Sri Lanka's Debt Restructuring Hits Roadblock with Bondholders
by God Father Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:42 pm

» BROWN'S INVESTMENTS SHOULD CONSIDER BUYING BITCOIN
by ADVENTUS Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:48 pm

» Bank run leading the way in 2024
by bkasun Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:21 pm

» ASPI: Undoing GR/Covid19!
by DeepFreakingValue Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:25 am

» Learn CSE Rules and Regulations with the help of AI Assistant
by ChatGPT Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:47 am

» Top AI tools in Sri Lanka
by ChatGPT Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:21 am

» HDFC- Best ever profit reported in 2023
by ApolloCSE Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:43 pm

» WAPO 200% UP
by LAMDA Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:41 pm

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

Disclaimer
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

The information contained in this FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ have been submitted by third parties directly without any verification by us. The information available in this forum is not researched or purported to be complete description of the subject matter referred to herein. We do not under any circumstances whatsoever guarantee the accuracy and completeness information contained herein. FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not in any way be responsible or liable for loss or damage which any person or party may sustain or incur by relying on the contents of this report and acting directly or indirectly in any manner whatsoever. Trading or investing in stocks & commodities is a high risk activity. Any action you choose to take in the markets is totally your own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental damages or loss arising out of the use of this information. The information on this website is neither an offer to sell nor solicitation to buy any of the securities mentioned herein. The writers may or may not be trading in the securities mentioned.

Further the writers and users shall not induce or attempt to induce another person to trade in securities using this platform (a) by making or publishing any statement or by making any forecast that he knows to be misleading, false or deceptive; (b) by any dishonest concealment of material facts; (c) by the reckless making or publishing, dishonestly or otherwise of any statement or forecast that is misleading, false or deceptive; or (d) by recording or storing in, or by means of, any mechanical, electronic or other device, information that he knows to be false or misleading in a material particular. Any action writers and users take in respect of (a),(b),(c) and (d) above shall be their own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental violation of securities laws of any country, damages or loss arising out of the use of this information.

AI Live Chat

You are not connected. Please login or register

Where Are Ethics, Social Justice....With This Rude Tax Increment On Vehicle?

+23
sanju351
2011_NewComer
Fresher
kam2011
CSE.SAS
ruc
Gaja
mono
econ
rijayasooriya
greedy
manula
aj
market bull
UKboy
nukez
mark
Monster
Slstock
sureshot
Redbulls
Universalgoal
SL.Market
27 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

ruc

Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic

They have increased fuel price & granted concessions for few categories.All bus owners benefited from increased bus fair.On the other hand this time on vehicle tax. they only consider abt government servants.so what abt others.
always average people suffering.why can't the reduce their government useless expenses.Huge Cabinet.several vehicles for MP's & ministers.
They ruined cse by introducing .....acts.

we have to pay for every thing.

aj

Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics

From the recent bus fare hike, bus owners got more than the cost of fuel. They got a bonus. The government was not intelligent or had a backbone to correct that.
See
http://www.ft.lk/2012/02/23/chartered-institute-of-logistics-and-transport-fumes-over-bus-fare-hike-method/

And there's an extra 10% bonus they get from Rs. 9 minimum charge. Maru na. Bus owners hit jack pot.

ruc

Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic

yes,I agree with you aj.

These stupid ministers doesn't know how to calculate % calculations & parameters to determine bus fair.They think only one passenger is traveling inside the but at a given time.

in addition majority of the profit is stolen by drivers & conductors.(they never give 1 rupee for 9/= ticket nor the bus ticket)

so how these people manage a place like CSE...

Monster

Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics

I am a software engineer. If I am working in Sri Lanka, I may have to spend around 10 - 20 years of saving from my earnings to own a brand new Japanese vehicle. That means, I am spending half of my life for the vehicle.

In Kuwait, with almost one month salary I can purchase a 2nd hand Japanese vehicle (Year of Manufacture 2004 - 2005). If I save 4 - 5 months salary, I could go for a 2009 y/m Japanese vehicle. I could drive a 2012 model brand new Japanese vehicle in my 6 - 7 months salary.

Isn't it total unfair?

CSE.SAS

Global Moderator

By Shamindra Ferdinando

The recent increase of duties on vehicle imports, including three wheelers and motor cycles, hadn’t affected ‘privileged imports’, which accounted for a substantial percentage of the total annual imports, private sector sources told The Island.

Asked whether the Opposition would take up the issue, deleted National List MP Harsha de Silva said that there should be social equality in tax policy. The parliamentarian acknowledged that the latest taxes hadn’t been directed at politicians, public officials and professionals.

The government had adopted four specific measures to curtail the rapidly growing trade deficit, limit fuel consumption and increase revenue, the MP said. The economist described measures as depreciation of exchange rate, increase in interest rates, upward revision of fuel and electricity prices and increase in import duty.

Sources said that over the year duty free vehicle entitlement granted to members of parliament had been gradually increased from $ 10,000 to $ 50,000.
http://www.island.lk/index.php?page_cat=article-details&page=article-details&code_title=48995

ruc

ruc
Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic

yes.I agree with you monster.

This is the problem in policy planning.
1st they reduce tax on vehicles with out considering the outcome.
now it is raised up to sky.why can't they see the future.
this is how policy planning in SL.this is affected to every aspect of the economy.

kam2011

Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

ruc wrote:yes.I agree with you monster.

This is the problem in policy planning.
1st they reduce tax on vehicles with out considering the outcome.
now it is raised up to sky.why can't they see the future.
this is how policy planning in SL.this is affected to every aspect of the economy.

200% sure.

CSE.SAS

CSE.SAS
Global Moderator

A group of Sri Lankans who have opened Letters of Credit (LCs) for new vehicles is appealing to the government to exempt them from the new high tax regime. They say the LCs was opened before the new taxes were announced on March 31, and the vehicles are already en-route to Sri Lanka from abroad. In a letter to this newspaper, they say it is unfair and unjust to increase the tax on already ordered vehicles and point out to contradictions in the policy. For example, they said the objectives of the increased vehicle taxes are to cut import expenditure of imports, reduce the trade gap and reduce traffic congestion (by lesser vehicles on the roads).

On all these objectives, enforcing increasing taxes on ordered vehicles won’t change the statuesque.
They said most of them are unable to pay the new tax rate and won’t be able to obtain a refund. “The foreign exchange has already gone out and cannot be stopped,” the letter said.

If the vehicles are not cleared within 21 days of arrival, they will be auctioned by the Colombo Port or Customs at a much lesser value than the market price and anyway get on the roads. “Thus increasing taxes on this category of imports doesn’t fulfill the objective of reducing traffic congestion unless the vehicles are not driven on the roads,” the letter said.

It said 95% of those who have imported vehicles from Japan or any other country have obtained credit facilities from finance companies which fit within their repayment capacity. “Please remember that these people also work towards developing their motherland though they don’t get a permit to import a vehicle as some privileged persons do,” it said.
http://sundaytimes.lk/120408/BusinessTimes/bt35.html

Fresher

Monster wrote:I am a software engineer. If I am working in Sri Lanka, I may have to spend around 10 - 20 years of saving from my earnings to own a brand new Japanese vehicle. That means, I am spending half of my life for the vehicle.

In Kuwait, with almost one month salary I can purchase a 2nd hand Japanese vehicle (Year of Manufacture 2004 - 2005). If I save 4 - 5 months salary, I could go for a 2009 y/m Japanese vehicle. I could drive a 2012 model brand new Japanese vehicle in my 6 - 7 months salary.

Isn't it total unfair?

monster, it's not true that you need that long. especially being a software engineer.
but of course it is unfair that we have to pay much more.
then again it is simple economics isn't it. if it was as same as elsewhere, we wouldn't have enough roads to drive our cars in! We definitely don't have enough roads to even now.

on another note, when govt reduced the tax sometime back no one complained although vehicle owners lost a lot of wealth. at least they can recover some of it now.

Monster

Monster

New Vehicle Prices.

Where Are Ethics, Social Justice....With This Rude Tax Increment On Vehicle? - Page 3 Vehicl10

Note: I got this new price table from an unknown source. Therefore, I don't know how far this can be true.

Slstock

Slstock
Director - Equity Analytics

Monster wrote:New Vehicle Prices.

Where Are Ethics, Social Justice....With This Rude Tax Increment On Vehicle? - Page 3 Vehicl10

Note: I got this new price table from an unknown source. Therefore, I don't know how far this can be true.

Good to know.
By chance do yo uhave the old prices to compare ( before hike) ?

Redbulls

Redbulls

Thanks Monster.

SL.Market

SL.Market
Vice President - Equity Analytics

If the vehicle assemble in sri lanka then no tax imposed...

why?
Please explain..

Is it not affected to current traffic on the road due to assemble vehicle in sri lanka?

Paying in SL rupees for the parts imports for those assemble?

or

Any other hidden reason?

Redbulls

Redbulls

SL.Market wrote:

Any other hidden reason?

Hidden reason obvious.

rijayasooriya

rijayasooriya

සුසුකි මරුටි ගනුදෙනුකරුවන්ට වැඩි වූ බදු මිලෙන් නිදහසක්‌

දශක 6 කට ආසන්න කාලයක්‌ ශ්‍රී ලංකාවට මෝටර් රථ ආනයනය කර අලෙවි කරන අංක එකේ ආයතනය වන ඇසෝසියේටඩ් මෝටර්වේස්‌ පුද්ගලික සමාගම (AMW) තම සුසුකි මරුටි ගනුදෙනුකරුවන්ට මෑතකදී රජය විසින් පනවන ලද බදු නිසාවෙන් වැඩි වූ මිල ගණන්වලින් අඩක්‌ම ආයතනය විසින් දරාගනු ලබමින් ඉමහත් සහනයක්‌ ලබාදීමට කටයුතු කර ඇත.

සීමිත කාලයකට (2012 මැයි 15 දක්‌වා) ලබාදී ඇති මෙම අවස්‌ථාව දැරිය හැකි මුදලකට අලුත්ම අලුත් Brand New භැඅ මෝටර් රථයක්‌ මිලදී ගැනීමට බලාපොරොත්තුවෙන් සිටි ජනතාවට විශාල සහනයක්‌ වන බව බොහෝ දෙනාගේ අදහසයි.

AMW ආයතනය කෙරෙහි විශ්වාසය තබමින් දැරිය හැකි මුදලකට ලබාගත හැකි ඉහළම ඉන්ධන කාර්යක්‍ෂමතාවක්‌ සහිත සහ අලෙවියෙන් පසු දිවයින පුරා විහිදී ජාලයකින් ලැබෙන අතිවිශිෂ්ට සේවාව මත සුසුකි මරුටි මෝටර් රථ 50,000 කට ආසන්න ප්‍රමාණයක්‌ මේ වන විට මිලදී ගෙන ඇති ගනුදෙනුකරුවන්ට තම කැමැත්ත අනුව දැනට පාවිච්චි කරන සුසුකි මරුටි මෝටර් රථය සමාගම සමඟ හුවමාරු කර Brand New රථයක්‌ ලබා ගැනීමට ඇති ඉඩකඩ ද මින් තවදුරටත් පුළුල් වේ.

http://www.divaina.com/2012/04/26/velanda02.html

SL.Market

SL.Market

rijayasooriya wrote:සුසුකි මරුටි ගනුදෙනුකරුවන්ට වැඩි වූ බදු මිලෙන් නිදහසක්‌

දශක 6 කට ආසන්න කාලයක්‌ ශ්‍රී ලංකාවට මෝටර් රථ ආනයනය කර අලෙවි කරන අංක එකේ ආයතනය වන ඇසෝසියේටඩ් මෝටර්වේස්‌ පුද්ගලික සමාගම (AMW) තම සුසුකි මරුටි ගනුදෙනුකරුවන්ට මෑතකදී රජය විසින් පනවන ලද බදු නිසාවෙන් වැඩි වූ මිල ගණන්වලින් අඩක්‌ම ආයතනය විසින් දරාගනු ලබමින් ඉමහත් සහනයක්‌ ලබාදීමට කටයුතු කර ඇත.

සීමිත කාලයකට (2012 මැයි 15 දක්‌වා) ලබාදී ඇති මෙම අවස්‌ථාව දැරිය හැකි මුදලකට අලුත්ම අලුත් Brand New භැඅ මෝටර් රථයක්‌ මිලදී ගැනීමට බලාපොරොත්තුවෙන් සිටි ජනතාවට විශාල සහනයක්‌ වන බව බොහෝ දෙනාගේ අදහසයි.

AMW ආයතනය කෙරෙහි විශ්වාසය තබමින් දැරිය හැකි මුදලකට ලබාගත හැකි ඉහළම ඉන්ධන කාර්යක්‍ෂමතාවක්‌ සහිත සහ අලෙවියෙන් පසු දිවයින පුරා විහිදී ජාලයකින් ලැබෙන අතිවිශිෂ්ට සේවාව මත සුසුකි මරුටි මෝටර් රථ 50,000 කට ආසන්න ප්‍රමාණයක්‌ මේ වන විට මිලදී ගෙන ඇති ගනුදෙනුකරුවන්ට තම කැමැත්ත අනුව දැනට පාවිච්චි කරන සුසුකි මරුටි මෝටර් රථය සමාගම සමඟ හුවමාරු කර Brand New රථයක්‌ ලබා ගැනීමට ඇති ඉඩකඩ ද මින් තවදුරටත් පුළුල් වේ.

Dear Raja.. dont say "වැඩි වූ මිල ගණන්වලින් අඩක්‌ම ආයතනය විසින් දරාගනු ලබමින්"

Because they sell now imported cars before the rude tax increase....

what they now doing is realizing huge profit in very short period misleading the customers. Bacause they know No one buy maruti for 2.1 millions considering 1.5 millions befor tax.... now they sell a maruti for 1.9 million with 0.4 million bonus in addition to the profit from goverment

rijayasooriya

rijayasooriya

SL.Market wrote:

Dear Sl,

Please consider that this is not my article...This is copy and paste paper article.When we read any article we must remember the idiom saying කියන්නා කෙසේ කීවත් අසන්නා සිහි බුද්ධියෙන් ඇසිය යුතුයි Wink

SL.Market

SL.Market

rijayasooriya wrote:
SL.Market wrote:

Dear Sl,

Please consider that this is not my article...This is copy and paste paper article.When we read any article we must remember the idiom saying කියන්නා කෙසේ කීවත් අසන්නා සිහි බුද්ධියෙන් ඇසිය යුතුයි Wink

Yes Raja... I knew It's not ur article.....
I tried to highlight that its misleading some poor readers

2011_NewComer

2011_NewComer

rijayasooriya wrote:සුසුකි මරුටි ගනුදෙනුකරුවන්ට වැඩි වූ බදු මිලෙන් නිදහසක්‌

They are giving that for all their vehicles.

If anyone interested, here are the prices (Got this from some advertisement email)

https://i.servimg.com/u/f45/16/35/54/14/image010.jpg

https://i.servimg.com/u/f45/16/35/54/14/image011.jpg

SL.Market

SL.Market

2013 Budget Speech

Twisted Evil All vehicles used for racing sports will be exempt from import tax, the President said in his budget speech

sanju351

sanju351

SL.Market wrote:2013 Budget Speech

Twisted Evil All vehicles used for racing sports will be exempt from import tax, the President said in his budget speech

Cralton Guys wanted car races in sri lanka ..they must have told dady to do this that ...
He is the king .....
[b]

kuk83

kuk83
Manager - Equity Analytics
Manager - Equity Analytics

What a funny economic policies Very Happy .

econ

econ
Global Moderator

Miracle of Asia.. Very Happy

SL.Market

SL.Market

econ wrote:Miracle of Asia.. Very Happy

Better to say....

Miserable Of Asia

aj

I thought these things happen only in some African countries. Limousines taxing as passenger buses. Changing the law this way and that way for family business deals.
What a lousy country you live in. If I were you I would take a boat and go somewhere. :-)

Slstock

Slstock

Where do you live in right now? Isn't Sri Lanka your country too? You never answered that question.

But yes overnight changes to law is something I am concerned about too.

aj wrote:I thought these things happen only in some African countries. Limousines taxing as passenger buses. Changing the law this way and that way for family business deals.
What a lousy country you live in. If I were you I would take a boat and go somewhere. :-)

Jiggysaurus

Jiggysaurus

aj wrote:I thought these things happen only in some African countries. Limousines taxing as passenger buses. Changing the law this way and that way for family business deals.

Since you are not a Sri-Lankan, i assumed that you already took a boat to Christmas Island and are awaiting the processing of your refugee application.....

P.S. How are the road construction in Aussie?

Whitebull

Where is that somewhere man ? lol!lol!lol!

Arena

People Like AJ show colors since they live in developed countries.

They havnt done or will not do any thing to the world just will consume a higher per capita income by the sake of great fellows who developed those economies. Any average fellow can go to a developed economy and say that he is doing well. The difficult thing is develop the nation by tolerating 3rd world economies difficulties.

If all the good Japaneses educated and business people went to a developed economies 1950 today Japan is no where. Same in the case of Malaysia as well in 1985 era.

Let these failed fellows to earn more but AJ keep in mind that u are not earning from ur grand fathers dedication and u hvnt done any thing for ur nation.

If the political system is not good change it. U should have the courage to change it. IF not u ar just a looser.

Dont say rubbish after leaving the country And specially dont insult the nation . How about the subsidies given to Sandy effected families. Still No clue ne ? Hope u people are doing well. How about American 17T debt while GDP is only 15t....................U solve those problems.

ha ha

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum