FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» Falsified accounts and financial misrepresentation at Arpico Insurance PLC (AINS)
by DeepFreakingValue Today at 12:20 am

» hSenid Business Solutions(HBS)
by K.R Yesterday at 8:42 pm

» EXPO.N - Expo Lanka Holdings De-Listing
by thankrishan Yesterday at 6:12 pm

» Potential Super Gain with HSIG
by Investment 1st Yesterday at 12:20 am

» Potential Super Gain with HSIG
by Investment 1st Yesterday at 12:18 am

» ජනාධිපතිවරණය - 2024
by ChooBoy Sat May 11, 2024 11:20 pm

» The IMF's Monumental Malpractices and future of Sri Lanka
by ChooBoy Sat May 11, 2024 11:18 pm

» Sri Lanka: Stock Market Fraudsters with Criminal Prosecutions
by ChooBoy Fri May 10, 2024 5:29 pm

» Sri Lanka: Policy Challenge Addressing Poverty Vulnerability as the Economy Recovers
by ResearchMan Fri May 10, 2024 12:20 pm

» SINS - the Tailwind effects of a crisis hit Economy
by Equity Win Thu May 09, 2024 7:37 pm

» TAFL is the most undervalued & highly potential counter in the Poultry Sector
by atdeane Thu May 09, 2024 7:09 pm

» Sri Lanka: Country Information Report
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:22 pm

» Sri Lanka polls could risk economic recovery
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:12 pm

» AGSTAR PLC (AGST.N0000)
by ResearchMan Thu May 09, 2024 12:21 pm

» Browns becomes world’s biggest tea exporter in deal with LIPTON
by sureshot Wed May 08, 2024 9:51 pm

» Colombo Stock Market: Over Valued against USD!
by ResearchMan Wed May 08, 2024 12:49 pm

» COCR IN TROUBLE?
by D.G.Dayaratne Mon May 06, 2024 9:31 am

» Maharaja advise - April 2024
by celtic tiger Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:01 am

» Srilanka's Access Engineering PLC think and Win
by Dasun Maduwantha Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:40 pm

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:24 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:22 am

» ‘Port City Colombo makes progress in attracting key investments’
by samaritan Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 am

» Mahaweli Reach Hotels (MRH.N)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:25 pm

» THE KANDY HOTELS COMPANY (1983) PLC (KHC.N0000)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:23 pm

» ACCESS ENGINEERING PLC (AEL) Will pass IPO Price of Rs 25 ?????
by ddrperera Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:09 pm

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

You are not connected. Please login or register

Trader stuck with 1 Billion debt...

+18
smallville
raa
afruk
Hawk Eye
gamaya
dd
UKboy
ccsentha
Nuwan05
kasun333
RIO
aj
Rapaport
Leon
worthiness
anubis
Slstock
sriranga
22 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Trader stuck with 1 Billion debt... - Page 2 Empty Re: Trader stuck with 1 Billion debt... Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:46 am

Slstock

Director - Equity Analytics

ccsentha wrote:
dd wrote: Embarassed The Bank Is PABC and he is in the NPL section. God help the bank. Crying or Very sad

What is meant by NPL?

Non Performing Loans

27Trader stuck with 1 Billion debt... - Page 2 Empty Re: Trader stuck with 1 Billion debt... Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:08 pm

afruk

Stock Analytic
Stock Analytic

cannot be DJ. HE is a crook but not a fool . He bought georgr stuart for 2.4 billion recently. relaunched george stuart health with 200 millionn last week. one billion is pea nuts for that man.

28Trader stuck with 1 Billion debt... - Page 2 Empty Re: Trader stuck with 1 Billion debt... Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:13 pm

raa

Manager - Equity Analytics

2 things to note:

1) If I had an outstanding loan of over LKR1bn that I was paying over LKR 20mn in interest per month - that is HUGE!! Doesn't matter how much money they have made (billions) or how much they may have in the bank account... I think something must be seriously wrong if one individual is making over LKR 20mn a month per month for the last 12 months. So either they are moving money around as someone else mentioned in this thread or they are eating out of their savings. It has to be mentally very stressful to handle. Specially when these ppl have made billions off the market, now they are struggling to make LKR 20mn.

2) Well as someone mentioned, it has to be a handful of prominent ones. NP, DJ and Perpetual were the three parties who were making big moves last year as traders. Then there is the PCH guy. I also think many of the pump and dump brokers are in a lot of trouble holding on to junk stocks.

Why are ppl shocked by the debt figures. While I think the people who've made the most money from the market are the ones who will find it hardest to repay, there are many investors with margin trading porfolios of over 1bn.

The obvious one is Dr. Senthilverl. At least 2bn.

29Trader stuck with 1 Billion debt... - Page 2 Empty Re: Trader stuck with 1 Billion debt... Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:38 pm

afruk

Stock Analytic
Stock Analytic

@raa

DP,DJ were billionaires well before they entered entered the market. True we are angry we cannot make money like them. Hating rich will not make us rich. I am sure they don't have to do margin trading for one billion. I would accept only if u say they have 10 or 100 billion margin trading.

30Trader stuck with 1 Billion debt... - Page 2 Empty Re: Trader stuck with 1 Billion debt... Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:52 pm

smallville

Associate Director - Equity Analytics

afruk wrote:@raa

DP,DJ were billionaires well before they entered entered the market. True we are angry we cannot make money like them. Hating rich will not make us rich. I am sure they don't have to do margin trading for one billion. I would accept only if u say they have 10 or 100 billion margin trading.

None of the HNWIs would trade their money IMO.. Rich ppl would opt for loans, basically they deal on credit using their high profiles.. So they only risk margin money not their own money..

31Trader stuck with 1 Billion debt... - Page 2 Empty Re: Trader stuck with 1 Billion debt... Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:12 pm

raa

@afruk - I agree. These people came in with vast sums of wealth definitely but as smallville says, I too doubt that they'd use their own money.

My point is, lots of these people have overextended themselves. Even billionaires, with big businesses and billion rupee share portfolios will suffer if they had to pay over LKR 20m a month. I'm sure they can afford to in most cases... but for how long?

Also, as rich as DJ might be, I think that he is one of the big players who is stuck in the stock market. Not saying that he is bankrupt or suffering, just that he has a lot of money tied up and is paying unnecessary interest on it.

He invests through Emagewise as one of his companies. His REEF stock alone is on margin and worth over LKR 1bn. (this might be old data... like 4Q2011)

32Trader stuck with 1 Billion debt... - Page 2 Empty Re: Trader stuck with 1 Billion debt... Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:12 am

smallville

smallville

Why they've got stuck could be due to their greedyness or negligence when earning quick money..

33Trader stuck with 1 Billion debt... - Page 2 Empty Re: Trader stuck with 1 Billion debt... Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:31 am

anu

anu

Go through an interview of Ms. Varuni Amunugama(VA) in S/Observer in 2008

http://www.sundayobserver.lk/2008/08/31/mag02.asp

DJ, VA and Ishini Wickramasinghe have started a Ad agency in 1993 like a suitcase company going door to door canvassing business, and as per her claim, managed to save 1.5Mn in the first year.

19 years down the line, they are one of the biggest corporate investors in SL. Unbelievable entrepreneurship, difficult to emulate by anyone else. Hopefully, out of jelous, their previous employer Shan wickramasinghe has reported DJ for money laundering.
He has told that DJ, son of 2 ordinary teachers, who could not afford a meal for Rs.5 when he was studying Law at colombo university, now dealing in billions.
http://www.lankanewsweb.com/english/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=518:how-did-dilitha-jayaweera-who-did-not-have-rs-5-earn-billions-shan-wickremesinghe-complains-to-the-ccd&catid=43:corruption&Itemid=54

With such skills and talents, I think these are peanuts for him.

34Trader stuck with 1 Billion debt... - Page 2 Empty Re: Trader stuck with 1 Billion debt... Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:55 am

anu

anu

Monday, October 24, 2011
“Money Laundering” Jayaweera threatens Shan Wickremesinghe, head TNL TV & radio
One of Defence Secretary Deleted Rajapaksa’s racketeer friends, the head of Triad Advertising and Derana Network, Dilith Jayaweera also known as “Money Laundering” Jayaweera has threatened the Opposition Leader’s brother and the head of TNL TV, Shan Wickremesinghe with death.

Shan Wickremesinghe has joined a current affairs programme on TNL TV and said that the Colombo Stock Exchange had fallen after the shooting of MP deleted Silva and that Dilith Jayaweera has been questioned about the irregularities that had taken place in the stock market.

Angered by the comments, “Money Laundering” Jayaweera had telephoned Shan Wickremesinghe and the presenter of the show Attorney Sudath Jayasundera and had threatened them. Managing Director of Derana, Madhava had also threatened Sudath Jayasundera.

One of the main shareholders of Triad Advertising, Varuni Amunugama had meanwhile telephoned Shan Wickremesinghe’s daughter Ishini Wickremesinghe and scolded her. Ishini Wickremesinghe joined Minister Sarath Amunugama’s daughter Varuni Amunugama in starting Triad Advertising during Chandrika Kumaratunge’s tenure in office. Ishini Wickremesinghe moved out of Triad Advertising after she married Asitha Perera.

Asitha is currently serving as the Sri Lankan ambassador to Italy and Ishini is also residing in Italy.

However, Shan Wickremesinghe had complained to the IGP about the threat to him and his staff. TNL sources said there has not yet been any response to the complaint.

We earlier reported that its was deleted Silva, Dilith Jayweera and Nimal Perera who were responsible for investing the millions of rupees earned by the Defence Secretary in an irregular manner in Sri Lanka and overseas and that it is in this backdrop that Dilith Jayaweera became to be known as “Money Laundering” Jayaweera.

Since deleted Silva is a parliamentarian it is his brother and head of the ABC Network, Raynor Silva who has invested the Defence Secretary’s monies.

It has now been found that Dilith Jayaweera, Nimal Perera and Raynor Silva are responsible for large scale frauds that had taken place in the stock exchange and the head of the Securities and Exchange Commission Malik Cader is to be removed from the post for inquiring into the matter.

However, Shan Wickremesinghe has vowed to his staff that regardless of the challenges he would have to face in the future, the corruption and fraud taking place the in the stock exchange would be revealed.
LNW

Source: http://www.srilankabrief.org/2011/10/money-laundering-jayaweera-threatens.html

35Trader stuck with 1 Billion debt... - Page 2 Empty Re: Trader stuck with 1 Billion debt... Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:48 am

afruk

Stock Analytic
Stock Analytic

Friends

DP NP DJ NAWALOKA all have humble beginings. Yes we like to hate and envy them. Poor hate rich. That is very natural. Also Shan is person who had inherited property but could not manage it and now a bankrupt man. he is definitely jealous of emerging rich. Do not hate rich, you also try to be rich. thats what LINCON said. Afterall pumping and dumping is not illegal. We also do the same thing in small way because we donot have that much money!! Who is investing in the market to take annual dividents . very few. when our shares gain we also dump it. So wat is wrong in NP dumping when his shares gain.

36Trader stuck with 1 Billion debt... - Page 2 Empty Re: Trader stuck with 1 Billion debt... Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:06 am

anu

anu

afruk, I didn't mean to offend you pal.

just when we are jobless, we google a bit and post what may be of interest to others.

One thing keep in mind, the money which was not earned in proper ways, should not be used to loot the money of poor, hapless investors like us as we earn and save grain by grain like little ants.

We are certainly not in the elite panel of becoming multi billionairs in a span of 15 years, not even in our dreams.

Just trying to safeguard the two cents what we have saved.....

37Trader stuck with 1 Billion debt... - Page 2 Empty Re: Trader stuck with 1 Billion debt... Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:10 am

hirankb

hirankb
Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

my friend.... we excuse you ignorance. the crime is when YOU BUY AGGRESIVELY IN A WORTHLESS SHARE TO CREATE AN UPWORD MOMENTUM AND LET GO . THE SHARE KEEPS ON MOVING UP DUE TO MOMENTUM . THEN YOU DUMP.

NO CRIMINAL CAN PRACTICE HIS CRAFT IF THE retail investor IS AWARE OF HOW MARKETS OPERATE.

If the retail investor gets himself educated on market fundamentals to a higher degree , we really do not need much regulatory intervention. the retail investing comunity will be the ultimate regulator.

So stop blaming anyone. get your self A decent education. LEARN INVESTING THROUGH THE WEB WWW.INVESTOPEDIA.COM.

38Trader stuck with 1 Billion debt... - Page 2 Empty Re: Trader stuck with 1 Billion debt... Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:11 am

K.Haputantri

K.Haputantri
Co-Admin

afruk wrote:Friends

DP NP DJ NAWALOKA all have humble beginings. Yes we like to hate and envy them. Poor hate rich. That is very natural. Also Shan is person who had inherited property but could not manage it and now a bankrupt man. he is definitely jealous of emerging rich. Do not hate rich, you also try to be rich. thats what LINCON said. Afterall pumping and dumping is not illegal. We also do the same thing in small way because we donot have that much money!! Who is investing in the market to take annual dividents . very few. when our shares gain we also dump it. So wat is wrong in NP dumping when his shares gain.

My dear friend, dumping becomes illegal when it is accompanied by intentional pumping of the same share.You and me dumping (its really exitting and not dumping as its not accompanied by pumping) when the price is right is not illegal. You are absolutely correct there but not when dumping is accompanied by pumping.

39Trader stuck with 1 Billion debt... - Page 2 Empty Re: Trader stuck with 1 Billion debt... Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:20 am

anu

anu

hirankb wrote:my friend.... we excuse you ignorance. the crime is when YOU BUY AGGRESIVELY IN A WORTHLESS SHARE TO CREATE AN UPWORD MOMENTUM AND LET GO . THE SHARE KEEPS ON MOVING UP DUE TO MOMENTUM . THEN YOU DUMP.

NO CRIMINAL CAN PRACTICE HIS CRAFT IF THE retail investor IS AWARE OF HOW MARKETS OPERATE.

If the retail investor gets himself educated on market fundamentals to a higher degree , we really do not need much regulatory intervention. the retail investing comunity will be the ultimate regulator.

So stop blaming anyone. get your self A decent education. LEARN INVESTING THROUGH THE WEB WWW.INVESTOPEDIA.COM.

In which world are you living? In Srilanka, still large number of investors depend on broker advise. This is sad but everyone is not in a position to learn from investopedia!! And it is not a condition which can be changed overnight!! Even large number of expats are taken for a ride by brokers.

I definitely did not seek your excuse....

40Trader stuck with 1 Billion debt... - Page 2 Empty Re: Trader stuck with 1 Billion debt... Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:24 am

afruk

Stock Analytic
Stock Analytic

Anu

Yes Pal. Donot think so negatively. try to be a NP one day. You can do it. Only by believing in you. Trying to to think the all successful people are there through corruption, will not take us anywhere. they are there they did not hate others but did their job. I have also earned some money through pumping and dumping. So why should i blame NP does it.I try to Study the way how he is doing it. I would try to be NP one day.

41Trader stuck with 1 Billion debt... - Page 2 Empty Re: Trader stuck with 1 Billion debt... Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:30 am

K.Haputantri

K.Haputantri
Co-Admin

afruk wrote:Anu

Yes Pal. Donot think so negatively. try to be a NP one day. You can do it. Only by believing in you. Trying to to think the all successful people are there through corruption, will not take us anywhere. they are there they did not hate others but did their job. I have also earned some money through pumping and dumping. So why should i blame NP does it.I try to Study the way how he is doing it. I would try to be NP one day.

afruk, remember, this is a forum at which many novices seek advice & guidance. Your advice to emulate suspected criminals is questionable.

42Trader stuck with 1 Billion debt... - Page 2 Empty Re: Trader stuck with 1 Billion debt... Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:41 am

hirankb

hirankb
Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic

O.K Mr Anu,

I rest my case...... Ignorance is bliss they say .... In any case as long as there is "manipulatables" there will be "manipulators". No matter even if HITLER him self becomes SEC chairman.

Cannot blame the robbers and the police if you leave your doors open.

Education is everything in life. In this world or any other and mostly when it is free.

Any novice/new investor for your attention,
You will do well if you learn to swim before jumping to water.... then you will know what to do when the undercurrents hit you and when to get in to water and when to get out.

43Trader stuck with 1 Billion debt... - Page 2 Empty Re: Trader stuck with 1 Billion debt... Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:17 pm

smallville

smallville

All of these so called high profile, criminals we used to call could've started humble.. Then with money grows, power knocks at door step and when there is more power here comes the responsibility.
What now lacks for them is the latter.. They are powerful, may have saved billions but they dont do responsible trades, they use poor investors money to grow theirs that's when it becomes a crime..

What all they do is buy something that's not fit to be listed in CSE due to poor performance and announce they bought a massive qty.. Now our investors lined in to command a small ownership of the company the BIG man is trying to be in so they slowly stats buying...

The BIG man has no objective of investing here.. He suddenly dumps and quote he got a good demand (price) or he claims the initial idea of investing had to be dropped after another analysis as the synergies he was trying to match could not be achievalbe..

Come on dudes... If you're into invest heavily on a company with the intention of being the owner or a director, wouldn't you just go to a bit depth than the analysis that we do...
We may normally look at;

1) financials for abt 5 years, qtr-qtr growth or YOY growth, EPS, NAV, PBV, etc...
2) debt position - long,short term debts,
3) Business environment and location
4) favorable or anticipated policy decisions of the government,
5) the future prospects of the sector the company operates in,
5) Company's competitors, their strengths/weaknesses and their market holdings
6) possible risks that the company could face in future - natural disasters,
etc...
7) Current Problems faced by the company and suggestions to improve
Cool Dividend yields - improving, constant or declining

But experienced investors or high worthy ppl would look into more than the above. And suddenly they cannot say they cannot claim what they've been looking for.. Thatr's hilarious Twisted Evil

Nevertheless, our ppl get trapped..

44Trader stuck with 1 Billion debt... - Page 2 Empty Re: Trader stuck with 1 Billion debt... Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:20 pm

Redbulls

Redbulls

K.Haputantri wrote:
afruk wrote:Anu

afruk, remember, this is a forum at which many novices seek advice & guidance. Your advice to emulate suspected criminals is questionable.

@Hapu,
Please be aware there are so many new accounts created and some of them are try to prove one of the crook to be the next SEC Chairman.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum