FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Submit PostSubmit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

Latest topics

» GLAS will be winner with Super Gain.
by invest thinker Today at 3:35 am

» PANASIAN POWER PLC (PAP.N0000)
by vijay singh Today at 2:26 am

» Maharaja's Advice
by madukp Today at 1:17 am

» Millennial Capital Youtube Channel
by MillennialC Yesterday at 11:54 pm

» Investor sentiment - will there ever be a recovery?
by xhunter Yesterday at 10:50 pm

» Everybody talks about huge selling. That means there are buyers in the market to buy these shares. Stock market for beginners
by Asoka Samarakone Yesterday at 9:17 pm

» Personal Loans in Sri Lanka from Hatton National Bank
by onenine87 Yesterday at 8:34 pm

» Daily Foreign Transactions
by Pradeep90 Yesterday at 6:51 pm

» Has the CSE reached the peak actually in January?
by FireandWater Yesterday at 6:10 pm

» WindForce Limited IPO
by ishanel2007 Yesterday at 5:44 pm

» Capital Savings Account with high interest rates from HNB Sri Lanka
by menasros Yesterday at 5:05 pm

» Regular Savings Account with benefits from HNB Sri Lanka
by menasros Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» Get Housing Loans |Hatton National Bank - Sri Lanka
by menasros Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Blossom March
by samaritan Yesterday at 3:59 pm

» New committee to fast-track 289 projects
by judecroos Yesterday at 3:57 pm

» 'Cabraalnomics' vs 'Wijenomics'
by samaritan Yesterday at 3:52 pm

» AGSTAR PLC (AGST.N0000)
by Mr. X Yesterday at 11:15 am

» DIPD/HAYC/HAYL
by Wickyz Yesterday at 11:09 am

» ACL post share split trading and the future potential
by sheildskye Yesterday at 11:08 am

» Crypto , Digital Currency Trading , Forex
by MillennialC Yesterday at 12:59 am

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

CHRONICLE™ NEWS PRODUCTS

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Views & Reviews, Analysis, Evaluations, Discussions, Gossip and Hot Tips relating to Sri Lankan companies listed on the Colombo Stock Exchange (CSE)
Contribute

DAILY CHRONICLE™

Latest news and articles published in Newspapers, Websites, Blogs and other online news sites relating to business and investments in Sri Lanka
Contribute

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE™

This is a section that provide news, views, analysis, predications relating to Political and Socio-Economic factors and how such activities affect the Stock Market and other economic activity of the Country.

Contribute

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

This is an exclusive section for Expert Articles which will help member to share knowledge through comments and responses of the members. All members are allowed to reply and make comments to these articles.

Contribute

Submit Post

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

Youtube Videos and other visual presentations relating Stock market and other investment advise submitted by members or other contributors.

Contribute

Submit Post

කොළඔ කොටස් වෙළඳපොළේ වංශකථාව
කොළඔ කොටස් වෙළඳපොළේ ලැයිස්තුගත සමාගම් කොටස් ගැන තොරතුරු¸විශ්ලේෂණ¸සාකච්ඡා¸ කටකතා¸රසකතා යන සියල්ල අපේම සිංහලෙන් කතා කළ හැකි ‘කතා මණ්ඩපය’

Contribute

Twitter Feeds
POPULAR COMPANIES
A

ABANS ELECTRICALS PLC

ACCESS ENGINEERING PLC Hot

ACL CABLES PLC

ACL PLASTICS PLC

ACME PRINTING & PACKAGING PLC

AGSTAR PLC

AITKEN SPENCE HOTEL HOLDINGS PLC

AITKEN SPENCE PLC

ANILANA HOTELS AND PROPERTIES PLC

ARPICO INSURANCE PLC

ASIA ASSET FINANCE PLC

ASIA CAPITAL PLC

B

BAIRAHA FARMS PLC

BALANGODA PLANTATIONS PLC

BIMPUTH FINANCE PLC

BLUE DIAMONDS JEWELLERY WORLDWIDE PLC

B P P L HOLDINGS PLC

BROWNS BEACH HOTELS PLC

BROWNS INVESTMENTS PLC

C

CARGO BOAT DEVELOPMENT COMPANY PLC

CENTRAL INDUSTRIES PLC

CEYLON COLD STORES PLC

CEYLON GRAIN ELEVATORS PLC Hot

CEYLON TEA BROKERS PLC

CEYLON TOBACCO COMPANY PLC

CHEVRON LUBRICANTS LANKA PLC

COLOMBO FORT LAND & BUILDING PLC

COMMERCIAL BANK OF CEYLON PLC

CITRUS LEISURE PLC Hot

COMMERCIAL CREDIT AND FINANCE PLC

D

DANKOTUWA PORCELAIN PLC

DFCC BANK PLC

DIALOG AXIATA PLC

DIALOG FINANCE PLC

DIPPED PRODUCTS PLC

DISTILLERIES COMPANY OF SRI LANKA PLC

DUNAMIS CAPITAL PLC

E

EAST WEST PROPERTIES PLC Hot

EASTERN MERCHANTS PLC

EXPOLANKA HOLDINGS PLC

E-CHANNELLING PLC

F

FIRST CAPITAL HOLDINGS PLC

G

GALADARI HOTELS (LANKA) PLC

GUARDIAN CAPITAL PARTNERS PLC

H

HATTON NATIONAL BANK PLC

HAYLEYS PLC

HAYLEYS FABRIC PLC

HAYLEYS FIBRE PLC Hot

HEMAS HOLDINGS PLC

HIKKADUWA BEACH RESORT PLC

HNB ASSURANCE PLC

HVA FOODS PLC

J

JANASHAKTHI INSURANCE COMPANY PLC

JOHN KEELLS HOLDINGS PLC Hot

JOHN KEELLS HOTELS PLC

L

LANKA ASHOK LEYLAND PLC

LANKA IOC PLC

LANKEM CEYLON PLC

LANKEM DEVELOPMENTS PLC

LAUGFS GAS PLC

LAUGFS POWER LIMITED

LOLC FINANCE PLC

LOLC HOLDINGS PLC

LUCKY LANKA MILK PROCESSING COMPANY PLC

M

MELSTACORP PLC

N

NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT BANK PLC

NATION LANKA FINANCE PLC

NESTLE LANKA PLC

O

ORIENT FINANCE PLC

OVERSEAS REALTY (CEYLON) PLC

P

PANASIAN POWER PLC

PEOPLE'S LEASING & FINANCE PLC

PIRAMAL GLASS CEYLON PLC

PRIME FINANCE PLC

R

RAIGAM WAYAMBA SALTERNS PLC

RENUKA AGRI FOODS PLC

RENUKA CAPITAL PLC

RENUKA HOLDINGS PLC

RICHARD PIERIS AND COMPANY PLC

RICHARD PIERIS EXPORTS PLC Hot

ROYAL CERAMICS PLC

S

SAMPATH BANK PLC

SEYLAN BANK PLC

SIERRA CABLES PLC

SINGHE HOSPITALS PLC Hot

SMB LEASING PLC

SOFTLOGIC HOLDINGS PLC

SOFTLOGIC LIFE INSURANCE PLC

SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC

SWISSTEK (CEYLON) PLC Hot

T

TEEJAY LANKA PLC

TESS AGRO PLC

THREE ACRE FARMS PLC

TOKYO CEMENT COMPANY (LANKA) PLC Hot

U

UNION BANK OF COLOMBO PLC

V

VALLIBEL FINANCE PLC

VALLIBEL ONE PLC Hot

VALLIBEL POWER ERATHNA PLC

W

WASKADUWA BEACH RESORT PLC

You are not connected. Please login or register

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ » FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ » Lets look at the Positive Side

Lets look at the Positive Side

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Lets look at the Positive Side Empty Lets look at the Positive Side Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:48 am

early

Manager - Equity Analytics
Yesterday, when I called my broker in the morning the ASI was down 105 points and he said some of their clients have sold off their entire portfolios.It could be same with other brokers too.A part of the portfolios that investors are disposing could be shares purchased on credit. If this continues most of the credit purchases with brokers would be cleared much before 30th September. Therefore the 30th September 25% credit clearence issue would not be an issue at all. Also the market showed strength towards end of the days trading and there seems to be strong support at ASI 6500 level.
Also, Sri Lanka is one of the best places to live right now.There is peace and economy is looking up. We have been protected from natural disasters and there is infrastructure development taking place around the Country.
I see a bright future for the country and the CSE too should perform very well once it tides over the present market correction.
Therefore, in my view we should think twice before selling off the valuable shares we have in our portfolios.

2Lets look at the Positive Side Empty Re: Lets look at the Positive Side Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:53 am

sajeethk

Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
All the market there will be small down turn. however if medium and long run there will be a good positive growth ... since the GDP going above 7-9% there will be a good potential to grow the market too....

3Lets look at the Positive Side Empty Re: Lets look at the Positive Side Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:03 am

early

@sajeethk wrote:All the market there will be small down turn. however if medium and long run there will be a good positive growth ... since the GDP going above 7-9% there will be a good potential to grow the market too....
Exactly.As you mention the GDP is at a very good level.There are also so many other positive indicators.We have to learn to be patient.We put money in fixed depsits at 6-7% annual interest and wait for one year without any complaints.Why cant we hold on to our share investements at least 6-12 months.The return could be even 100% depending on the shares we invest.

4Lets look at the Positive Side Empty Re: Lets look at the Positive Side Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:46 pm

manula

Vice President - Equity Analytics
@early wrote:Yesterday, when I called my broker in the morning the ASI was down 105 points and he said some of their clients have sold off their entire portfolios.It could be same with other brokers too.A part of the portfolios that investors are disposing could be shares purchased on credit. If this continues most of the credit purchases with brokers would be cleared much before 30th September. Therefore the 30th September 25% credit clearence issue would not be an issue at all. Also the market showed strength towards end of the days trading and there seems to be strong support at ASI 6500 level.
Also, Sri Lanka is one of the best places to live right now.There is peace and economy is looking up. We have been protected from natural disasters and there is infrastructure development taking place around the Country.
I see a bright future for the country and the CSE too should perform very well once it tides over the present market correction.
Therefore, in my view we should think twice before selling off the valuable shares we have in our portfolios.

I think the clients who are selling their full portfolio must be the people who don't have the holding power. Many invest in the market to get the gain in limited time. They have different reasons.. for example some people invest full of his saving for to build the house and to get good profit soon for his dream. so he does not like to wait. (i saw many posts like that in this forum).. so they cannot hold.. I think those type of people are leaving the market. These are the people who is going behind the rallies to become rich..double their money with in one day.. Actually we cannot call them investors..They will not think about the value of the share.. The real investors will stay in the market. They know what they are buying ..went to exit.. no rush.. Smile

5Lets look at the Positive Side Empty Re: Lets look at the Positive Side Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:19 pm

MJ

@ Majula

I personally believe that people who invest in CSE should look to have a balance between long term and short term.
With its past two years behavior, we all expect CSE to make our dreams come true in days….But this time though we all have to get there the hard way.

6Lets look at the Positive Side Empty Re: Lets look at the Positive Side Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:50 pm

stockdad

Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic
@manula wrote:
@early wrote:Yesterday, when I called my broker in the morning the ASI was down 105 points and he said some of their clients have sold off their entire portfolios.It could be same with other brokers too.A part of the portfolios that investors are disposing could be shares purchased on credit. If this continues most of the credit purchases with brokers would be cleared much before 30th September. Therefore the 30th September 25% credit clearence issue would not be an issue at all. Also the market showed strength towards end of the days trading and there seems to be strong support at ASI 6500 level.

I think the clients who are selling their full portfolio must be the people who don't have the holding power. Many invest in the market to get the gain in limited time. They have different reasons.. for example some people invest full of his saving for to build the house and to get good profit soon for his dream. so he does not like to wait. (i saw many posts like that in this forum).. so they cannot hold.. I think those type of people are leaving the market. These are the people who is going behind the rallies to become rich..double their money with in one day.. Actually we cannot call them investors..They will not think about the value of the share.. The real investors will stay in the market. They know what they are buying ..went to exit.. no rush.. Smile

I think you are in confusion. Those who are selling are not only the people who do not have the holding power.
It depends on yr view of the market at any given point in relation to a timeframe.
If one thinks that he can buy back the same shares sometime later at lower levels or
identifies a better alternative then he is very much justified in selling.
Alternatively there are other people who just keep on holding onto shares waiting for the market to improve.
This is what a market is. So many different people. You cannot call others are not investors and call them names just because they are not doing same as you.
Can understand ur worry because the losses suffered due to the market condition now.
But, then the market perception right now seems to be of a weaker market at least in the near future.
Buy and hold may be a good policy for some while for others may act according to their perception of the market in their given situation.
Market is the sum total of all these different views.

7Lets look at the Positive Side Empty Re: Lets look at the Positive Side Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:53 am

Aamiable

@manula wrote:

Real investments take several months to give any benefits…. Stocks attract investments grow slowly step by step ….over several months ....investments and funds come to them time to time , ……what ever the investments made on them stay much longer than 5 days ,….. Investors do not expect profits and exit within few days……..all the investments do not take profits at the same time and exit …..Only few exit majority stay on a long term basis…..these stocks remain stable when the overall market is downwards...businesses continue to show outstanding profits…

Smile

8Lets look at the Positive Side Empty Re: Lets look at the Positive Side Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:13 am

ShareShares

Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics
Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics
@early wrote:
@sajeethk wrote:All the market there will be small down turn. however if medium and long run there will be a good positive growth ... since the GDP going above 7-9% there will be a good potential to grow the market too....
Exactly.As you mention the GDP is at a very good level.There are also so many other positive indicators.We have to learn to be patient.We put money in fixed depsits at 6-7% annual interest and wait for one year without any complaints.Why cant we hold on to our share investements at least 6-12 months.The return could be even 100% depending on the shares we invest.

Most of those stocks remained green on Friday seem to be stable, there may be a few speculative counters among them, faint heated and panic driven stocks were all sold out, and solid investment based stocks remained strong last week. Friday ended up with an upward movement, long-term investments might return to CSE Monday onwards.

9Lets look at the Positive Side Empty Re: Lets look at the Positive Side Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:06 pm

early

Agree with you shareshares.Presntly the market does not offer much for speculative trading.Only very skillful traders like some of the experts of this forum would be able to take the risk and make a gain in these market conditions. On the other hand solid investement based stocks are looking extrmely attractive, and as you mention, many investors may start to take mid - long term positions on these shares from Monday onwards.

10Lets look at the Positive Side Empty Re: Lets look at the Positive Side Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:48 pm

duke

If you think few days even few weeks of selling can clear the accumulated credit, then some government funds could have easily cleared out the credit. These days what brokers are doing hard is trying to control the 50% of the mountain not from growing further.

11Lets look at the Positive Side Empty Re: Lets look at the Positive Side Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:06 pm

aship

aship
Senior Equity Analytic
Senior Equity Analytic
Hi friends,

When I ask about this downfall my broker used to say people buy without money and later selling at any price.

May be he is correct. Some are buying hoping the market will go up within 3-5 days and ending up with forced selling. In the meantime, some get panic and sold of their entire portfolio. Persons realized this few months ago exit with cash and now hunting slowly and steadily; also institutions and persons who have cash always.

Anyway, most of the retailers got affected badly.

I also wanted some cash for something to spend on. Now, I've got a loan for this matter and will not withdraw from my portfolio. When things become better I will settle the loan by selling some shares.

We'll hope for a better tomorrow.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum