FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» Richard Pieris Exports PLC (REXP.N0000) future looks bleak!
by God Father Today at 10:08 pm

» Sri Lanka key Economic Indicators and Future Outlook for 2024
by God Father Today at 6:06 pm

» Colombo Stock Market: Over Valued against USD!
by God Father Today at 5:59 pm

» HSENID BUSINESS SOLUTIONS PLC (HBS.N0000)
by God Father Today at 5:49 pm

» EXPO.N - Expo Lanka Holdings De-Listing
by glad Today at 9:27 am

» Sri Lanka: Stock Market Fraudsters with Criminal Prosecutions
by D.G.Dayaratne Yesterday at 7:28 am

» CBSL Pension Fund vs EPF
by God Father Thu May 16, 2024 9:13 am

» Nations Trust Bank: Consistent growth
by ErangaDS Wed May 15, 2024 8:46 am

» SOFTLOGIC LIFE INSURANCE PLC (AAIC.N0000)
by soileconomy Wed May 15, 2024 4:01 am

» Falsified accounts and financial misrepresentation at Arpico Insurance PLC (AINS)
by DeepFreakingValue Tue May 14, 2024 12:20 am

» Potential Super Gain with HSIG
by Investment 1st Mon May 13, 2024 12:20 am

» ජනාධිපතිවරණය - 2024
by ChooBoy Sat May 11, 2024 11:20 pm

» The IMF's Monumental Malpractices and future of Sri Lanka
by ChooBoy Sat May 11, 2024 11:18 pm

» Sri Lanka: Policy Challenge Addressing Poverty Vulnerability as the Economy Recovers
by ResearchMan Fri May 10, 2024 12:20 pm

» SINS - the Tailwind effects of a crisis hit Economy
by Equity Win Thu May 09, 2024 7:37 pm

» TAFL is the most undervalued & highly potential counter in the Poultry Sector
by atdeane Thu May 09, 2024 7:09 pm

» Sri Lanka: Country Information Report
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:22 pm

» Sri Lanka polls could risk economic recovery
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:12 pm

» AGSTAR PLC (AGST.N0000)
by ResearchMan Thu May 09, 2024 12:21 pm

» Browns becomes world’s biggest tea exporter in deal with LIPTON
by sureshot Wed May 08, 2024 9:51 pm

» COCR IN TROUBLE?
by D.G.Dayaratne Mon May 06, 2024 9:31 am

» Maharaja advise - April 2024
by celtic tiger Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:01 am

» Srilanka's Access Engineering PLC think and Win
by Dasun Maduwantha Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:40 pm

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

You are not connected. Please login or register

Views needed

+2
sumith9999
awije
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Views needed Empty Views needed Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:13 pm

awije

Stock Analytic
Stock Analytic

Dear forum members, I am new to this forum and I am starting with a problem and hope to hear the views of the members in order to decide on my next move.

My portfolio value is Rs. 9 M. I signed a margin trading agreement with the broker firm recently. I have used the margin facility but have always settled within the month and never carried forward any credit. As of Sept 1st I had Rs. 5,000 in my account after settling last months interest. Then on Sept 1st I bought shares worth about Rs. 3 M which is about 34% of my portfolio. I had some stocks which had appreciated in value and I was going to sell them next week to settle the credit. However the broker has sold some of my shares without my knowledge on Sept 2nd I presume to recover this credit.
What I want to know is if they have the right to do this since I had only on Sept 1st taken the credit and can they sell the next day. Should they not wait atleast for 3-4 days before selling. My other question is since I have a margin facility, can they do this.
Also if it is question of liquidity, doesn't this happen at the end of the month.
I got to know about this only today so unable to talk to the broker and would like to have the views of this forum prior to talking to the broker.
I would also like to know what I can do in this instance. Is the only option available to complain to the SEC. Can I sue the broker, any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you

2Views needed Empty Re: Views needed Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:52 pm

sumith9999

Stock Trader

HI there Awije,

There was another case of force selling on this forum which I have replied. How many more without forum facility would be suffering from force selling. I think we should get ttogether (forum members) and form an association to take our problems to CSE re. irregularities /wrong doings of stock brokers. If one person writes tendancy is that complaint to go to the wpb as is a CSE is govt dept. and we know how govt dept works. If we have a Union or an Association of Investors sort of .. it will carry more weight.

as for ur case, Broker can not forcesell without informing client as you may other methods of settling instead of selling that particular share at a lower price or you may take a TOD from your bank and deposit cash immediately.

By writing to this Froum u will get advice only, but no collective action which is required at this juncture to tame these brokers?? who take law unto their own hands and make money at our expense.

3Views needed Empty Re: Views needed Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:18 am

bePositive

bePositive
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics
Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

I believe as a general rule the Broker legally can 'force sell' to recover credit, as one is required to sign papers agreeing to it when you initially open the account with the broker.

http://www.viabletraffic.com

4Views needed Empty Re: Views needed Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:26 pm

Kithsiri

Kithsiri
Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics

bePositive wrote:I believe as a general rule the Broker legally can 'force sell' to recover credit, as one is required to sign papers agreeing to it when you initially open the account with the broker.
I think many so eager to get going that they failed to or not interested in reading the so-called "fine print" before putting pen on paper.

5Views needed Empty Re: Views needed Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:44 pm

Roboticfx

Roboticfx

As I know they will allow 3 days, sometimes 4 if you have told them that you pay credited amount soon. Brokers must inform when they going to sell one's own shares. But we can see many brokers break this rule as they need.

Friends,
Don't wait a minute to report this to the CSE and SEC. If long time has been spent, sometimes it may difficult to take actions. Today an officer of CSE said if they received many complaints about a broker, they cancel their license as soon as possible. Smile

6Views needed Empty Re: Views needed Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:49 pm

Kithsiri

Kithsiri

Roboticfx wrote:As I know they will allow 3 days, sometimes 4 if you have told them that you pay credited amount soon. Brokers must inform when they going to sell one's own shares. But we can see many brokers break this rule as they need.
Friends,
Don't wait a minute to report this to the CSE and SEC. If long time has been spent, sometimes it may difficult to take actions. Today an officer of CSE said if they received many complaints about a broker, they cancel their license as soon as possible. Smile
I agree. If you think that Force Selling done was incorrect, why not report the issue but be mindful that all angle are covered from your side. Good luck and please keep the Forum informed about the progress!

7Views needed Empty Re: Views needed Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:15 pm

Rajaraam

Vice President - Equity Analytics
Vice President - Equity Analytics

bePositive wrote:I believe as a general rule the Broker legally can 'force sell' to recover credit, as one is required to sign papers agreeing to it when you initially open the account with the broker.

They have that rights if the client fails to settle before the due date( Depending on the broker T+5 or T+3. However you can avoid such bitter action of the broker by entering in to credit agreeement with the broker.( That is a legal document and brokers can forcely sell our shares to recover any dues if we fail to settle before the due date))

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum