FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» Sri Lanka: Stock Market Fraudsters with Criminal Prosecutions
by D.G.Dayaratne Today at 7:28 am

» hSenid Business Solutions(HBS)
by K.R Fri May 17, 2024 9:08 am

» CBSL Pension Fund vs EPF
by God Father Thu May 16, 2024 9:13 am

» EXPO.N - Expo Lanka Holdings De-Listing
by thankrishan Wed May 15, 2024 1:58 pm

» Nations Trust Bank: Consistent growth
by ErangaDS Wed May 15, 2024 8:46 am

» SOFTLOGIC LIFE INSURANCE PLC (AAIC.N0000)
by soileconomy Wed May 15, 2024 4:01 am

» Falsified accounts and financial misrepresentation at Arpico Insurance PLC (AINS)
by DeepFreakingValue Tue May 14, 2024 12:20 am

» Potential Super Gain with HSIG
by Investment 1st Mon May 13, 2024 12:20 am

» ජනාධිපතිවරණය - 2024
by ChooBoy Sat May 11, 2024 11:20 pm

» The IMF's Monumental Malpractices and future of Sri Lanka
by ChooBoy Sat May 11, 2024 11:18 pm

» Sri Lanka: Policy Challenge Addressing Poverty Vulnerability as the Economy Recovers
by ResearchMan Fri May 10, 2024 12:20 pm

» SINS - the Tailwind effects of a crisis hit Economy
by Equity Win Thu May 09, 2024 7:37 pm

» TAFL is the most undervalued & highly potential counter in the Poultry Sector
by atdeane Thu May 09, 2024 7:09 pm

» Sri Lanka: Country Information Report
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:22 pm

» Sri Lanka polls could risk economic recovery
by God Father Thu May 09, 2024 5:12 pm

» AGSTAR PLC (AGST.N0000)
by ResearchMan Thu May 09, 2024 12:21 pm

» Browns becomes world’s biggest tea exporter in deal with LIPTON
by sureshot Wed May 08, 2024 9:51 pm

» Colombo Stock Market: Over Valued against USD!
by ResearchMan Wed May 08, 2024 12:49 pm

» COCR IN TROUBLE?
by D.G.Dayaratne Mon May 06, 2024 9:31 am

» Maharaja advise - April 2024
by celtic tiger Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:01 am

» Srilanka's Access Engineering PLC think and Win
by Dasun Maduwantha Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:40 pm

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:24 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:22 am

» ‘Port City Colombo makes progress in attracting key investments’
by samaritan Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 am

» Mahaweli Reach Hotels (MRH.N)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:25 pm

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

You are not connected. Please login or register

Are We in a Bear Phase?

+11
Rocky
Aamiable
tubal
invest-abc
Antonym
ShareShares
chamith
StocksWatch
Fresher
wis
Academic
15 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Are We in a Bear Phase? Empty Are We in a Bear Phase? Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:17 pm

Academic

Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

I have following questions to advocates of the opinion that we are at a bear phase.

1. Why foreign purchase are still continuing (though lesser than selling), if market is to decline soon?
2. Why some philanthropic members on this forum try to convince others (retailers) that we are in a bear-phase?
What is the motivation behind them?

If those writers do not have the expectation that market will pick up within descent time period, their day-and-night effort of educating retailers about the bear-phase (then collecting valuables at low) becomes useless. Isn't it?

The bottom-line is that, will anyone do a useless work, specially in the stock market context where individuals are guided by greediness.

This post is not to imply that the market will go up soon. Simply, I don't know that.

2Are We in a Bear Phase? Empty Re: Are We in a Bear Phase? Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:39 pm

wis

Manager - Equity Analytics

I think Sri Lankans are used to having rallies one after another for the last 2 years that not having rallies looks very scary. People want to put money and see it go up in a couple of weeks and if it doesn't they get scared and question why it didn't.

3Are We in a Bear Phase? Empty Re: Are We in a Bear Phase? Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:50 pm

Fresher

I have mentioned this before.
What has happened is this.
After the period when the war was over, the market took off like a supersonic.
Most people just got on the bandwagon and grew with that. The clever ones grew even more.

But this is when the attractiveness of the bourse was felt by many who were still not in the CSE. They started putting their money mostly during the latter stages and got some profit too. The news spread. People got to know about the stock market and how it had been growing overnight.
So more and more people entered the market expecting to get rich overnight. They expect rallies for this reason.

4Are We in a Bear Phase? Empty Re: Are We in a Bear Phase? Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:49 pm

StocksWatch

Assistant Vice President - Equity Analytics

Back in those golden old days, before this miracal turning point in the mid of 2009, there were days in the CSE where total turnover was just above 200mn if I recall correct.

5Are We in a Bear Phase? Empty Re: Are We in a Bear Phase? Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:26 pm

chamith

chamith

oh.. just 200mn??

6Are We in a Bear Phase? Empty Re: Are We in a Bear Phase? Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:44 pm

ShareShares

StocksWatch wrote:Back in those golden old days, before this miracal turning point in the mid of 2009, there were days in the CSE where total turnover was just above 200mn if I recall correct.

Turnover is in billions now. Another reason for not picking up some shares as expected is frequent adverse comments. Prediction of non existing disasters, and so on, always there are posts mentioning why that share is not moving. Why is the market red?

Condemnation of shares thinking that then only the preferred shares could move. Instead of discussing non existent problems, if the forum discusses advantages most of the time, overall market would perform well.

7Are We in a Bear Phase? Empty Re: Are We in a Bear Phase? Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:14 pm

Antonym

Antonym
Vice President - Equity Analytics

The ASI closed at 6,636 on December 31, 2010. It's up 12.64% in less than 4 months! Doesn't look anything like a bear market to me! Smile

8Are We in a Bear Phase? Empty Re: Are We in a Bear Phase? Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:27 pm

invest-abc

I think we are always expecting miracles from the CSE. The average p.a return of Warren Buffet's investments over his long investment carrier is around 22% to 23% (Don't foget he has been the best equity investor for the last two decades). But here at CSE we are always expecting wonders....trying to double our wealth within couple of weeks.....always looking for BFL's.... Very Happy Very Happy ....I think little by little we need to be more realistic on our returns and let the fundamentals drive the market forward at a decent rate.....

9Are We in a Bear Phase? Empty Re: Are We in a Bear Phase? Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:42 am

tubal

Interestingly the original poster, Academic was one of the first to point out that the market was running out of steam in early february.

There are plenty of reasons some of us convinced that the long term trend is negative. For me the best reason being that everyone was saying the market will go up continuously for ever just a few weeks back. That usually signals the death of the bull.

Want something more solid?
1) There is a clear RSI divergence between the peaks of last year and this year.
2) Most of the green days were on thin volume.
3) If you recalculate the ASI by excluding BUKI/CARS and GREG shares that index has a double top.
4) Many counters are trading below their 200 day SMA
6) Some sector indices are below their 200 day SMA

There's plenty more. However the short term trend is going to up! Yep, we are going to see a few green days this week. Why?
1) DIAL seems to have attracted interest once again, if DIAL goes upto 11 that will be enough to add about a hundred points to the index.
2) NEST has declared a dividend. This is a fundamentally sound illiquid shares, it might attract the attention of the illiquid players. NEST is also an index heavy share and capable of pushing the index on it's own.

Both these factors are going to effect the index but not the overall market (point number 7 in the first list is that most green days had Advance/Decline ratios < 1 ). So how is the broad market going to behave? It will still be positive in the short term because many many counters are now heavily oversold. They are long overdue for a rebound.

So in short, the coming week the market will be up, then it will continue on it's merry way to the south pole.

10Are We in a Bear Phase? Empty Re: Are We in a Bear Phase? Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:51 am

Aamiable

Antonym wrote:The ASI closed at 6,636 on December 31, 2010. It's up 12.64% in less than 4 months! Doesn't look anything like a bear market to me! Smile

agree.. overall towards 2012 it will be an up going trend…… ..slight ups and downs give good opportunities for medium term investment …up trend can continue for couple of years or more... Bloomberg chart is a good example….ups and downs can be seen long run it is upgoing ! ....

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/quote?ticker=CSEALL:IND

Smile Smile Very Happy Very Happy Smile Smile

11Are We in a Bear Phase? Empty Re: Are We in a Bear Phase? Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:08 am

tubal

Aamiable wrote:
Antonym wrote:The ASI closed at 6,636 on December 31, 2010. It's up 12.64% in less than 4 months! Doesn't look anything like a bear market to me! Smile

agree.. overall towards 2012 it will be an up going trend…… ..slight ups and downs give good opportunities for medium term investment …up trend can continue for couple of years or more... Bloomberg chart is a good example….ups and downs can be seen long run it is upgoing ! ....

Amiamble, have you heard the term sarcasm? I do believe Antonym is being sarcastic.
Secondly you cannot used the ASI index for analysis anymore, this as been discussed in numerous threads not least of all in my post above. In that I have outlined many reasons why the market is negative you on the other hand seem to think a couple of smileys will make the market become bullish once again.

12Are We in a Bear Phase? Empty Re: Are We in a Bear Phase? Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:15 am

Aamiable

tubal wrote:
Aamiable wrote:

Antonym .. may be genuine in his statement !!

Amiamble, have you heard the term sarcasm? I do believe Antonym is being sarcastic.
Secondly you cannot used the ASI index for analysis anymore, this as been discussed in numerous threads not least of all in my post above. In that I have outlined many reasons why the market is negative you on the other hand seem to think a couple of smileys will make the market become bullish once again.

13Are We in a Bear Phase? Empty Re: Are We in a Bear Phase? Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:16 am

Aamiable

14Are We in a Bear Phase? Empty Re: Are We in a Bear Phase? Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:18 am

Antonym

Antonym

Aamiable wrote:

Yes, I meant what I said... According to one source, "While there’s no agreed-upon definition of a bear market, one generally accepted measure is a price decline of 20% or more over at least a two-month period."

Most equity markets experienced a particularly severe bear phase during the latter half of 2008. See what it looked like like, graphically, for Russia:
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/quote?ticker=RTSI%24:IND

15Are We in a Bear Phase? Empty Re: Are We in a Bear Phase? Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:48 am

tubal

Antonym wrote:
Aamiable wrote:

Yes, I meant what I said... According to one source, "While there’s no agreed-upon definition of a bear market, one generally accepted measure is a price decline of 20% or more over at least a two-month period."

Most equity markets experienced a particularly severe bear phase during the latter half of 2008. See what it looked like like, graphically, for Russia:
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/quote?ticker=RTSI%24:IND

thanks for the clarification. By that definition, we are well and truely in a bearish period. Despite how the manipulated ASI has behaved, the vast majority of counters are now trading 20% below their february peak. Many are well below the 200 day average as I have already mentioned.

16Are We in a Bear Phase? Empty Re: Are We in a Bear Phase? Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:56 pm

Academic

tubal wrote:Interestingly the original poster, Academic was one of the first to point out that the market was running out of steam in early february.

There are plenty of reasons some of us convinced that the long term trend is negative. For me the best reason being that everyone was saying the market will go up continuously for ever just a few weeks back. That usually signals the death of the bull.

Want something more solid?
1) There is a clear RSI divergence between the peaks of last year and this year.
2) Most of the green days were on thin volume.
3) If you recalculate the ASI by excluding BUKI/CARS and GREG shares that index has a double top.
4) Many counters are trading below their 200 day SMA
6) Some sector indices are below their 200 day SMA

There's plenty more. However the short term trend is going to up! Yep, we are going to see a few green days this week. Why?
1) DIAL seems to have attracted interest once again, if DIAL goes upto 11 that will be enough to add about a hundred points to the index.
2) NEST has declared a dividend. This is a fundamentally sound illiquid shares, it might attract the attention of the illiquid players. NEST is also an index heavy share and capable of pushing the index on it's own.

Both these factors are going to effect the index but not the overall market (point number 7 in the first list is that most green days had Advance/Decline ratios < 1 ). So how is the broad market going to behave? It will still be positive in the short term because many many counters are now heavily oversold. They are long overdue for a rebound.

So in short, the coming week the market will be up, then it will continue on it's merry way to the south pole.

Yes. I predicted the downturn. But my expectation was temporary one, just for 1.5-2 months. Then I wrote, I expect market to go up after 21 march. And it did happen though eventually declined beginning of April.

However, many expressed a downward opinion based on credit clearance not on a bear-phase (If need I can provide plenty of links to such a posts).

It is only after April (may be after seen the continuing red market) some started this bear talk. And many such posters provided little justifications then.

These observations made me to open this post. Nevertheless, what my friends have discussed on this thread is really worth as opinions have been justified.

IMHO, once an opinion is justified with rational arguments and/or facts that post/poster become valued poster rather manipulator or an individual baked by greediness.

Another reason for opening this thread is that I don't like beating around the bush. So I wanted to explicitly discuss this bear-phase talk (rumor?). So that forum members (including I) would be clear of what is happening around us.

Last edited by Academic on Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

17Are We in a Bear Phase? Empty Re: Are We in a Bear Phase? Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:08 pm

tubal

Academic wrote:

[justify]Yes. I predicted the downturn. But my expectation was temporary one, just for 1.5-2 months. Then I wrote, I expect market to go up after 21 march. And it did happen though eventually declined beginning of April.

However, many expressed a downward opinion based on credit clearance not on a bear-phase (If need I can provide plenty of links to such a posts).

It is only after April (may be after seen the continuing red market) some started this bear talk. And many such posters provided little justifications then.

Not me :-) I started my bear talk in late march

18Are We in a Bear Phase? Empty Re: Are We in a Bear Phase? Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:19 pm

Academic

tubal wrote:
Academic wrote:

[justify]Yes. I predicted the downturn. But my expectation was temporary one, just for 1.5-2 months. Then I wrote, I expect market to go up after 21 march. And it did happen though eventually declined beginning of April.

The past belongs to history. Let's predict future. The golden question is when is the next turning point. This is not a bottomless hole. flower

19Are We in a Bear Phase? Empty Re: Are We in a Bear Phase? Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:31 pm

Rocky

Rocky

I have read many articles written by foreign journalists giving a negative picture to whats happening in Sri Lanka and increasing the fear factor and making many investors paranoid. No new investments and others leaving.

What has to happen is for the correct picture to reach the target audience especially the financial circles.
Sri Lankans are not running away. They are holding on tight.

Any suggestions?

20Are We in a Bear Phase? Empty Re: Are We in a Bear Phase? Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:52 pm

tubal

Academic wrote:
tubal wrote:
Academic wrote:

The past belongs to history. Let's predict future. The golden question is when is the next turning point. This is not a bottomless hole. flower

In my book there is going to be a turn around (maybe even as early as tommorow (but don't bet your life savings on it)) In addition to the reasons I have already mentioned above, the other major factor is that the main stream media is concerned about the bear (we have moved out of the denial phase into the concern phase) usually the market does the exact opposite of what the crowd thinks, so I expect the ASI to add about 100 to 200 points in the short term.

This will hopefully be a genuine across the board upswing and not a manipulation. However I urge everyone not to start thinking we are at the start of a new bull run just because the ASI goes above it's last high. The ASI is no longer worth the ink used to print it in the ft. Anyone who makes investment decisions by looking at the ASI is being rather foolish

Some of you will recall that in March also this sloth bear predicted a small upswing (when everyone else was despairing and that upswing did happen)

21Are We in a Bear Phase? Empty Re: Are We in a Bear Phase? Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:38 am

Slstock

Slstock
Director - Equity Analytics

tubal wrote:
The ASI is no longer worth the ink used to print it in the ft. Anyone who makes investment decisions by looking at the ASI is being rather foolish

Yes I agree, Looking blindly at ASI to say market is green or bullish is dangerous. There were many days ASI showed green while far too many stocks were in the red . Example when the CARS/BUKI related share went up ASI was in the in the green but we saw many of our other shares in our portfolios red. I guess one way to see there is a bullish trend is to see how many counters are in GREEN per day vs how many in red. ( this is a loose interpretation). But what am saying is if only 15 are in green but markets show green ( due to index heavy counters up as Tubal says) it is clear that it is not an overall uptrend yet. This has been happening several times in the past few weeks.

22Are We in a Bear Phase? Empty Re: Are We in a Bear Phase? Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:17 am

Slstock

Slstock

tubal wrote:
Academic wrote:
tubal wrote:
Academic wrote:

In my book there is going to be a turn around (maybe even as early as tommorow (but don't bet your life savings on it)) In addition to the reasons I have already mentioned above, the other major factor is that the main stream media is concerned about the bear (we have moved out of the denial phase into the concern phase) usually the market does the exact opposite of what the crowd thinks, so I expect the ASI to add about 100 to 200 points in the short term.

This will hopefully be a genuine across the board upswing and not a manipulation. However I urge everyone not to start thinking we are at the start of a new bull run just because the ASI goes above it's last high. The ASI is no longer worth the ink used to print it in the ft. Anyone who makes investment decisions by looking at the ASI is being rather foolish

Some of you will recall that in March also this sloth bear predicted a small upswing (when everyone else was despairing and that upswing did happen)

Yes there is resistance aroudn 7200. Hope that it will not go that far to recover. If it break 7200 hmm... lets be positive. I think a turn around should coma at some point some shares are at painfully low values.

23Are We in a Bear Phase? Empty Re: Are We in a Bear Phase? Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:33 am

Soundchips

never depend on dead lines , regulations ,.... new developments can come at unexpected times. ... I don't sell any thing frustrated under those conditions.. I wait and see..

24Are We in a Bear Phase? Empty Re: Are We in a Bear Phase? Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:45 am

tubal

tubal wrote:
Academic wrote:
tubal wrote:
Academic wrote:

So we had a few days of green as expected. And it as an across the board rally rather than manipulation of the index trhough SLTL, BUKI and CARS. However cause for concern is how weak those reversals were. The net effect was to move counters that were in the oversold territory into neutral area. The bear gave clear indications that it will continue it's journey on friday.

Part of the reason for the short uptrend to be so weak is because many shares are below the 200 day SMA as already discussed. I mentioned that DIAL and NEST might be at the forefront of the rally but it wasn't to be. That's because they were also below the 200 day average (but NEST moved back up a bit).

25Are We in a Bear Phase? Empty Re: Are We in a Bear Phase? Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:48 am

godswen

godswen

tubal wrote:
tubal wrote:
Academic wrote:
tubal wrote:
Academic wrote:

So we had a few days of green as expected. And it as an across the board rally rather than manipulation of the index trhough SLTL, BUKI and CARS. However cause for concern is how weak those reversals were. The net effect was to move counters that were in the oversold territory into neutral area. The bear gave clear indications that it will continue it's journey on friday.

Part of the reason for the short uptrend to be so weak is because many shares are below the 200 day SMA as already discussed. I mentioned that DIAL and NEST might be at the forefront of the rally but it wasn't to be. That's because they were also below the 200 day average (but NEST moved back up a bit).

Yeah you were right.. And are we now in the beginning of concern phase? I read more on this and it will take some time to form a new bottom isn't it?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum