FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Dear Reader,

Registration with the Sri Lanka FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️ would enable you to enjoy an array of other services such as Member Rankings, User Groups, Own Posts & Profile, Exclusive Research, Live Chat Box etc..

All information contained in this forum is subject to Disclaimer Notice published.

Thank You
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™️
www.srilankachronicle.com
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™

Encyclopedia of Latest news, reviews, discussions and analysis of stock market and investment opportunities in Sri Lanka

Click Link to get instant AI answers to all business queries.
Click Link to find latest Economic Outlook of Sri Lanka
Click Link to view latest Research and Analysis of the key Sectors and Industries of Sri Lanka
Worried about Paying Taxes? Click Link to find answers to all your Tax related matters
Do you have a legal issues? Find instant answers to all Sri Lanka Legal queries. Click Link
Latest images

Latest topics

» Browns becomes world’s biggest tea exporter in deal with LIPTON
by samaritan Today at 2:01 pm

» Colombo Stock Market: Over Valued against USD!
by ResearchMan Today at 12:49 pm

» COCR IN TROUBLE?
by D.G.Dayaratne Mon May 06, 2024 9:31 am

» TAFL is the most undervalued & highly potential counter in the Poultry Sector
by bkasun Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:48 pm

» EXPO.N - Expo Lanka Holdings De-Listing
by eradula Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:21 pm

» Maharaja advise - April 2024
by celtic tiger Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:01 am

» Srilanka's Access Engineering PLC think and Win
by Dasun Maduwantha Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:40 pm

» PEOPLE'S INSURANCE PLC (PINS.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:24 am

» UNION ASSURANCE PLC (UAL.N0000)
by ErangaDS Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:22 am

» ‘Port City Colombo makes progress in attracting key investments’
by samaritan Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:26 am

» Mahaweli Reach Hotels (MRH.N)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:25 pm

» THE KANDY HOTELS COMPANY (1983) PLC (KHC.N0000)
by SL-INVESTOR Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:23 pm

» ACCESS ENGINEERING PLC (AEL) Will pass IPO Price of Rs 25 ?????
by ddrperera Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:09 pm

» LANKA CREDIT AND BUSINESS FINANCE PLC (LCBF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:40 am

» FIRST CAPITAL HOLDINGS PLC (CFVF.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:38 am

» LOLC FINANCE PLC (LOFC.N0000)
by Beyondsenses Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:20 am

» SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC (SLTL.N0000)
by sureshot Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:37 am

» Sri Lanka confident of speedy debt resolution as positive economic reforms echoes at IMF/WB meetings
by samaritan Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:28 am

» Construction Sector Boom with Purchasing manager's indices
by rukshan1234 Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:24 pm

» Asha Securities and Asia Securities Target AEL (Access Enginnering PLC )
by Anushka Perz Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:30 pm

» Sri Lanka: China EXIM Bank Debt Moratorium to End in April 2024
by DeepFreakingValue Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:22 pm

» Uncertainty over impending elections could risk Lanka’s economic recovery: ADB
by God Father Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:47 pm

» Sri Lanka's Debt Restructuring Hits Roadblock with Bondholders
by God Father Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:42 pm

» BROWN'S INVESTMENTS SHOULD CONSIDER BUYING BITCOIN
by ADVENTUS Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:48 pm

» Bank run leading the way in 2024
by bkasun Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:21 pm

LISTED COMPANIES

Submit Post
ශ්‍රී ලංකා මූල්‍ය වංශකථාව - සිංහල
Submit Post

CONATCT US

Send your suggestions and comments

* - required fields

Read FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

EXPERT CHRONICLE™

ECONOMIC CHRONICLE

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT (GDP)

CHRONICLE™ YouTube

Disclaimer
FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ Disclaimer

The information contained in this FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ have been submitted by third parties directly without any verification by us. The information available in this forum is not researched or purported to be complete description of the subject matter referred to herein. We do not under any circumstances whatsoever guarantee the accuracy and completeness information contained herein. FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not in any way be responsible or liable for loss or damage which any person or party may sustain or incur by relying on the contents of this report and acting directly or indirectly in any manner whatsoever. Trading or investing in stocks & commodities is a high risk activity. Any action you choose to take in the markets is totally your own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental damages or loss arising out of the use of this information. The information on this website is neither an offer to sell nor solicitation to buy any of the securities mentioned herein. The writers may or may not be trading in the securities mentioned.

Further the writers and users shall not induce or attempt to induce another person to trade in securities using this platform (a) by making or publishing any statement or by making any forecast that he knows to be misleading, false or deceptive; (b) by any dishonest concealment of material facts; (c) by the reckless making or publishing, dishonestly or otherwise of any statement or forecast that is misleading, false or deceptive; or (d) by recording or storing in, or by means of, any mechanical, electronic or other device, information that he knows to be false or misleading in a material particular. Any action writers and users take in respect of (a),(b),(c) and (d) above shall be their own responsibility, FINANCIAL CHRONICLE™ its blogs, forums, domains, subdomains and/or its affiliates and/or its web masters, administrators or moderators shall not be liable for any, direct or indirect, consequential or incidental violation of securities laws of any country, damages or loss arising out of the use of this information.

AI Live Chat

You are not connected. Please login or register

Technical Analytics & Charts (1)

+59
monash
laksharemk
wappula
yaka
ole
m2_yapa
Leon
rainmaker
balapas
prabath
klpfernando
The Alchemist
bakapandithaya
sandanuwan
suja
mark
Arena
VertexCSE
Expert
sahan8896
Fresher
pathfinder
takefawaz
nimantha80
UAEBOY
hairai
godswen
nkuda
Dr_CSE
dinusha.kiwulegedara
raybenz1984
Jiggysaurus
fairbullrun
LateTackle
kav4
Whitebull
kas
D.G.Dayaratne
Stefan
Slstock
Backstage
opfdo
market bull
Antonym
Green79
val2004
malanp
manula
Redbulls
Kumar
CSE.SAS
lemuria
smallville
K.Haputantri
sriranga
chamith
Rajaraam
stumpy
traderathome
63 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 40]

76Technical Analytics & Charts (1) - Page 4 Empty Re: Technical Analytics & Charts (1) Fri May 18, 2012 5:16 pm

traderathome

Senior Vice President - Equity Analytics

Back to equity market, bought lioc with global economies slowing down surely lubricant companies will earn fat profits due to low demand for crude I haven't seen dividends declaration by lioc on the cse website do lioc declare profits

77Technical Analytics & Charts (1) - Page 4 Empty Re: Technical Analytics & Charts (1) Fri May 18, 2012 8:47 pm

traderathome

Planning to buy Plc.n

78Technical Analytics & Charts (1) - Page 4 Empty Re: Technical Analytics & Charts (1) Fri May 18, 2012 11:10 pm

traderathome

traderathome wrote:Planning to buy Plc.n
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] A stock im holding guess we may see 35-50rs / share near term Very Happy i will load in the 40ish region so that i will not miss the ride Cool

79Technical Analytics & Charts (1) - Page 4 Empty Re: Technical Analytics & Charts (1) Fri May 18, 2012 11:50 pm

traderathome

consumables , pharma, bank and insurance stocks will drive the market also do not forget engineering and construction sector will look growth Very Happy keep your eyes n ears open to push the BUY button Razz

80Technical Analytics & Charts (1) - Page 4 Empty Re: Technical Analytics & Charts (1) Sat May 19, 2012 1:21 am

malanp

Senior Manager - Equity Analytics

Hi Tradeathome

Thank you buddy, I am learning a lot from your charts, keep it up.

81Technical Analytics & Charts (1) - Page 4 Empty Re: Technical Analytics & Charts (1) Sun May 20, 2012 10:56 pm

traderathome

traderathome

Tomorrow is another day will be re injecting as I build my equity investment portfolio

82Technical Analytics & Charts (1) - Page 4 Empty Re: Technical Analytics & Charts (1) Sun May 20, 2012 11:27 pm

stumpy

stumpy

tomorrow is good for selling! Razz

83Technical Analytics & Charts (1) - Page 4 Empty Re: Technical Analytics & Charts (1) Mon May 28, 2012 12:54 am

traderathome

traderathome

next week or 2 it will be a make or break with greece elctions the FII (Foreign Institutional Investors) will decide where to dump their monies imo. With Bloomberg stating most of them are eyeing EM (Emerging Markets), but surely we(SEC) need to put CSE in order.Surely the market is at attractive levels.Just we need a jump start Very Happy

84Technical Analytics & Charts (1) - Page 4 Empty Re: Technical Analytics & Charts (1) Mon May 28, 2012 3:49 am

val2004

Stock Trader

Hi traderathome,

can you Please explain how to trade the following Harmonic Price Patterns:

ABCD Pattern
Three-Drive Pattern
Gartley Pattern

thanks a lot

V

85Technical Analytics & Charts (1) - Page 4 Empty Re: Technical Analytics & Charts (1) Mon May 28, 2012 10:02 pm

traderathome

traderathome

traderathome wrote:next week or 2 it will be a make or break with greece elctions the FII (Foreign Institutional Investors) will decide where to dump their monies imo. With Bloomberg stating most of them are eyeing EM (Emerging Markets), but surely we(SEC) need to put CSE in order.Surely the market is at attractive levels.Just we need a jump start Very Happy
Hi Investors

Its been long since i updated BFL stock which i purchased sometime back.As you most us are suffering due to down trend, extreme selling pressure due to economic woes all over not only related SL,but USA,India,Europe due to uncertainities ...and slow-down of growth.we are bound to have this sort of scenarios. Most people exit to cut short losses as no one can in certainity tell when the market will reverse. But there are signs people will get over greece and spain issues. so to avoid any spill over effect on rest of the eurozone. so come greece elections we will for sure know how issues will span out and options will be on the table for germany and france to decide.

Regarding the BFL i attach herewith possible PRX around current market level and around Rs 62 levels. I will reload between 90-60 the remaining 2 lots. as you know i trade /buy in 3 lots eg. with 1,000,000 investment i take 7.5-10% and divide in to 3lots and purchase at different levels. That about an insight to my trading.

The chart is self explanatory....[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

86Technical Analytics & Charts (1) - Page 4 Empty Re: Technical Analytics & Charts (1) Mon May 28, 2012 10:09 pm

traderathome

traderathome

val2004 wrote:Hi traderathome,

can you Please explain how to trade the following Harmonic Price Patterns:

ABCD Pattern
Three-Drive Pattern
Gartley Pattern

thanks a lot

V
Hi Val,

The trades on HAT or HPP is very simple but you need to select some volatile conters and fundamentally string shares. While base on your selection no one can guarantee 100% precission but this will give you some confidence when to purchase a share and what price you should pay for them.so basically you will not chase the market but you wait for the market to come to you Laughing . you need patience which is utmost important. i buy in 3 lots as indicated in my last post so you avoid risking whole amount in one go.instead you spread the risk over 3 levels. check website and read and learn and draw your charts and will discuss it over here. that way all can learn including me. Very Happy so i look forward to see some positive feed back from your end Cool

87Technical Analytics & Charts (1) - Page 4 Empty Re: Technical Analytics & Charts (1) Mon May 28, 2012 10:25 pm

traderathome

traderathome

My 2nd and final chart for the week i guess Very Happy [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

88Technical Analytics & Charts (1) - Page 4 Empty Re: Technical Analytics & Charts (1) Mon May 28, 2012 11:34 pm

traderathome

traderathome

The price action is very important when it come to decision making whether to commit on a trade or not.....here is a chart i thought would be worth having a look at...which is with a potential reward if you hold on or get in at the right time +/- from PRZ levels squared/boxed for easy understanding. cheers [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

89Technical Analytics & Charts (1) - Page 4 Empty Re: Technical Analytics & Charts (1) Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:09 am

traderathome

traderathome

Today i think the cse will close in GREEN Very Happy

90Technical Analytics & Charts (1) - Page 4 Empty Re: Technical Analytics & Charts (1) Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:15 am

traderathome

traderathome

traderathome wrote:Today i think the cse will close in GREEN Very Happy
The market will close tomorrow in GREEN as well..... Very Happy afro

sentiments a tad greenish/bullish imho

we are seeing us markets rallying after fed chairmans hawkish outlook back of euro slowdown/mess. positive figures driving the market. lets see how this reflects in cse. lol!

91Technical Analytics & Charts (1) - Page 4 Empty Re: Technical Analytics & Charts (1) Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:32 am

traderathome

traderathome

Here is my chart on LFIN.....looking to buy around 68-60 mark poin from current market price sittin @98...thats about 30 rs down...also extreme buy point would be rs 17 will it come down.....only time can prove that...if things will see gloomy, there is little choice the price will hold in the 98 mark. but you can not rule out possibility of prices sliding to 40-60 region.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

92Technical Analytics & Charts (1) - Page 4 Empty Re: Technical Analytics & Charts (1) Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:18 am

traderathome

traderathome

This is my last chart on SLT another fundamentally strong share currently on the slide.....the telecom giant has positive in net cashflow as per last financials...
the bullish trend still in tact,while bump and run trend line coming back to realistic values around Rs 30/- is the price to buy for me ....which would look really attractive for me imho.

although us job data seems modest,but underline figures are much worst although this is not shown as per Mort Zuckerman, so we can not totally rely on us economy state,

the biggest export market for us is the euro in combine makes up 20%..so they would like euro to do good during election year drunken

as i write NASDAQ is in RED...... Crying or Very sad

when world economy in dire ,our exports too will suffer...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

93Technical Analytics & Charts (1) - Page 4 Empty Re: Technical Analytics & Charts (1) Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:21 am

traderathome

traderathome

damn S&P500 now marginally RED

94Technical Analytics & Charts (1) - Page 4 Empty Re: Technical Analytics & Charts (1) Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:40 am

traderathome

traderathome

we will see market is see sawing until end of greek elections.... Very Happy i mean RED/GREEN and vice versa...no clear directions No

95Technical Analytics & Charts (1) - Page 4 Empty Re: Technical Analytics & Charts (1) Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:34 am

traderathome

traderathome

here is an update on my ASPI harmonic chart. The price action is some what bearish and drew the PRZ around 4040. I dont think it will go down below 4000 perhaps it could test. the next stage if this 4040 holds good see testing of 4500 to the upside, and continue till 6200 .... confirming the next leg down around this point (bearish 5-0 pattern)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

cheers

96Technical Analytics & Charts (1) - Page 4 Empty Re: Technical Analytics & Charts (1) Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:54 am

Green79

Green79
Equity Analytic
Equity Analytic

i always await to read your thread.

Cheers...!

97Technical Analytics & Charts (1) - Page 4 Empty Re: Technical Analytics & Charts (1) Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:17 am

traderathome

traderathome

Green79 wrote:i always await to read your thread.

Cheers...!
thanks for your compliments, i will try and update as and when time permits. Smile happy to note some are honestly following trading patterns based on harmonic price action. instead just buying on guessing or gambling in stock market, and lose our money.

also imo i trade same counter on 3 lots.i guess i told some where in my thread and now i cant find it.any how its very simple strategy.instead buying shares at one go we will do it in 3 lots by dividing original investment on that counter you are interested.

example 1 million x 7.5%=75000 this you divide it into 3=25000/lot so you will invest according to trailing price actions. hope this clears. Cool

98Technical Analytics & Charts (1) - Page 4 Empty Re: Technical Analytics & Charts (1) Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:03 pm

traderathome

traderathome

traderathome wrote:
traderathome wrote:next week or 2 it will be a make or break with greece elctions the FII (Foreign Institutional Investors) will decide where to dump their monies imo. With Bloomberg stating most of them are eyeing EM (Emerging Markets), but surely we(SEC) need to put CSE in order.Surely the market is at attractive levels.Just we need a jump start Very Happy
Hi Investors

Its been long since i updated BFL stock which i purchased sometime back.As you most us are suffering due to down trend, extreme selling pressure due to economic woes all over not only related SL,but USA,India,Europe due to uncertainities ...and slow-down of growth.we are bound to have this sort of scenarios. Most people exit to cut short losses as no one can in certainity tell when the market will reverse. But there are signs people will get over greece and spain issues. so to avoid any spill over effect on rest of the eurozone. so come greece elections we will for sure know how issues will span out and options will be on the table for germany and france to decide.

Regarding the BFL i attach herewith possible PRX around current market level and around Rs 62 levels. I will reload between 90-60 the remaining 2 lots. as you know i trade /buy in 3 lots eg. with 1,000,000 investment i take 7.5-10% and divide in to 3lots and purchase at different levels. That about an insight to my trading.

The chart is self explanatory....[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
i saw it on another thread one of the bfl directors selling off his shares....so thought i will refresh my mind on this chart.... bounce

99Technical Analytics & Charts (1) - Page 4 Empty Re: Technical Analytics & Charts (1) Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:04 pm

traderathome

traderathome

Top Tip #1 Dont get over-emotional about your shares

Shares are an investment a financial investment. But for many people they become an emotional investment too. That can be dangerous. Dont allow yourself to get so attached to your shares that you ignore all the signs telling you it is time to sell them.

If you have lost money because a share price has gone down it can be very hard to let go. It is only human nature to hold on grimly in the hope that the share price will go back up. Unfortunately what goes down must come back up is not a stock market rule.

Remember investing is about maximising your financial return. It is not about emotion. Most of us have only a limited amount of funds to invest so we need to use this money to its best effect. If you spot a share with better prospects than one you already hold you should consider switching your investment remembering to bear in mind the costs involved stamp duty dealing any potential Capital Gains Tax liability.

Allocating your resources correctly is what is important. Holding a share stops you using that money elsewhere so make sure youre investing for the right reasons.

100Technical Analytics & Charts (1) - Page 4 Empty Re: Technical Analytics & Charts (1) Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:05 pm

traderathome

traderathome

Top Tip #2 Know when to take your profit

The best way of knowing when it is time to sell a share is to set a target profit level for yourself at the time at which you buy the share. Then assuming the price rises when the share hits your target level sell and take your profit. Remember a profit isnt a profit until youve sold the share. A paper profit will buy you nothing.

If the share price is rising it is easy to think that it will continue to do so. Theres an old stock market saying - Always leave something for the next man. Remember if youre selling somebody else has to be a willing buyer. Once you have sold be happy that you have made your profit.

Of course you dont have to sell when a share reaches your target level but if it does you should take a fresh look at the shares and consider your options. You could sell and take the profit or you could top slice your investment sell enough shares to get back your capital and perhaps some of your profit leaving part of your holding in place.

Top slicing means that if the shares fall you have protected your capital and taken a gain. If the shares continue to rise you still have some exposure and will make further profits.

Use limit orders and alerts on your

101Technical Analytics & Charts (1) - Page 4 Empty Re: Technical Analytics & Charts (1) Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:06 pm

traderathome

traderathome

Top Tip #3 A share can be a dog but its not for life

In stock market parlance a dog is an investment that produces a low return or a loss. If youve any long term experience of the stock market you may well have owned shares that could quite easily have howled at the moon! It is a fact of life.

But unlike dogs shares are not for life. Long-term investing known as buy and hold may not work as well now as it did in the past as a stock market strategy. Competition in many industry sectors is much greater than it was and some companies adapt better than others. Just because a company was a

Many people now buy shares in the company they work for through Sharesave Plans. This can be a tax-efficient and cost-effective way of building up a share-holding. However that doesnt mean you should hang on to the shares forever. Youre already exposed to the company because you work for it. Investing in it increases your exposure. What if the company runs into problems - its share price could fall and you could be made redundant thus facing a double whammy of losses on your investment and loss of your income.

Dont become attached to a share weve said that already. Maybe you inherited the holding maybe its the first share you ever bought. None of that matters. Whatever your reason for holding the share in the first place you need to be clinical when it comes to selling. If the share is not doing what it should for you and is not likely to in terms of income generation or capital growth then you should sell.

Shares are not to be parked under the bed and forgotten about. You may check your share prices regularly perhaps even daily but do you actually review your holdings to see if your investment strategy still makes sense. If it does fine; if it doesnt sell! Take a cold hard look at your portfolio at least every two-three months.

102Technical Analytics & Charts (1) - Page 4 Empty Re: Technical Analytics & Charts (1) Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:09 pm

traderathome

traderathome

Although i dont agree with below RULE, some will counter argue, so i like keep silent on this one Basketball
Top Tip #4 Know when to cut your losses

No-one likes to lose and especially no-one likes to lose money. However it is better to take a small loss rather than a large loss. When you buy a share as well as setting a target profit level you should set a target loss level. Making that decision at the outset can save you a lot of agonising later on.

Of course as with profit targets you dont have to sell. But if your share reaches its loss level then you need to look very hard at the prospects for the company concerned and for its share price to have a good reason to hang on.

Biting the bullet and taking the loss if thats what you decide to do means you can use your remaining capital to find a new and better we hope investment.

103Technical Analytics & Charts (1) - Page 4 Empty Re: Technical Analytics & Charts (1) Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:10 pm

traderathome

traderathome

Top Tip #5 Keep an eye on Directors dealings

Watching the directors was not a song by Elvis Costello but its definitely something you should be doing. You may think that if a director sells then there is something wrong with the company. That may be the case but not always. There can be a variety of reasons for directors to sell often wholly unrelated to the performance of the business.

Do bear in that in many cases the directors may well be under certain restrictions when it comes to share dealing and may often only sell certain amounts at certain times of the year. If the share price has had a good run a director will take advantage of this just like any other investor and sell simply to lock in a bit of profit. School fees may loom large as a driver for share sales.

Divorce has also been a key factor in 2004 Stephen Marks founder of French Connection and David Harding chief executive of William Hill both sold large holdings in their respective companies to fund settlements. The following year Mark Dixon of Regus Group and Sir Martin Sorrell of WPP found themselves in similar situations.

However take note if several directors are selling. You need to understand the reason why and take your decision then. Check how the company is performing and look for evidence that would provide a reason for the sales. It could well be time to follow suit.

104Technical Analytics & Charts (1) - Page 4 Empty Re: Technical Analytics & Charts (1) Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:12 pm

traderathome

traderathome

Top Tip #6 Dont jump too soon

There are times when shares just dont move much - even when the rest of the market is roaring collapsing around them. Even shares that have been tipped as strong buying opportunities may not move much - the tip may be based on an event say the launch of a new product that is some way off. The stock market may not react until the product is out in the market and selling well.

Review your share holdings regularly. As long the fundamental reason for making the investment in the first place holds true then you may reasonably still hold the share.

Do keep an eye on the news not just the financial news. Some stories will have a more obvious impact than others. But keep in mind also that the stock market may already have taken the news into account by reacting to rumour ahead of confirmation and pricing shares accordingly.

Consider how news and events can affect the value of your shares - a profits warning will most likely send the share price lower but would a profits warning from a competitor do so Maybe - it could be a sign the sector as a whole is in trouble or it could be a sign that the company you have invested in is beating its competitors.

Other news items should also give you pause for thought. A change in interest rates will affect banking shares but may also have knock-on effects to house building retailers and travel businesses depending upon consumer reaction to the news.

105Technical Analytics & Charts (1) - Page 4 Empty Re: Technical Analytics & Charts (1) Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:15 pm

traderathome

traderathome

Top Tip #7 Be aware beware of trends and tips

Past performance is not a guide to future performance or a trend is a trend until it isnt a trend and then its a new trend! You should treat trend analysis with caution. Be aware of trends but also beware of them.

Chartists use complex share price charts to attempt to discern the future movement of share prices from the shapes created by the charts. Theyll tell you that everything you need to know about where a share is going next can be found from the trend it has been following. A highly profitable niche industry produces a plethora of books and online and offline newsletters dedicated to Chartism.

The easiest trend to spot is where a share price moves in a certain range - never falling below a particular point and never rising above another. If the price moves out of this range either above or below it that is a good time to take a closer look at your investment and consider selling. Other trends are worth considering including seasonal consumer trends and technological change.

Trends are of course open to interpretation. So is news. As Humpty Dumpty put it in Through the Looking Glass "When I use a word it means just what I choose it to mean neither more nor less." Make sure you know the difference between fact and interpretation.

Also be wary of newspaper share tips. By the time you read them the news will already be in the share price although that doesnt mean you shouldnt follow up the idea with your own investigation.

Dont be over emotional about your shares - this is where we started and its also where we finish. If all the signs are pointing to the fact that you should sell but you still like the company dont forget you can always buy back into it later. Sell now and you could take a profit or cut a loss and buy back in at a lower price later.

If you like the company for all the right reasons the share price could well turn upwards again. Use your

Please remember that past performance is no guide to the future and that the value of shares and the level of income they provide can fall as well as rise.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 40]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum